RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPN2 "Big Monday" schedule .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scfastpitch

PostPosted: 10/01/14 11:59 am    ::: ESPN2 "Big Monday" schedule . Reply Reply with quote

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/10/espn2s-2015-big-monday-womens-hoops-series-showcases-top-teams/

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/01/14 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well that is very interesting. And how about these 2 games:

7 p.m. Rivalry Week: No. 14 Maryland at No. 8 Michigan State
9 p.m. Rivalry Week: No. 7 Duke at No. 5 Notre Dame

Not that they are bad games to televise, but the irony of them being part of "rivalry week"...because Maryland/Mich State have been rivals for so long as well as Duke/Notre Dame.

And Michigan State is ranked #8? What?

ESPN is certainly all in on Dawn Staley and the Gamecocks as well as the Irish.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/01/14 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So for 9 games, we only get to see 10 teams, and one of them is South Florida.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/01/14 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

ESPN promoting the game of WBB...one school at a time.

Edit - And no Big XII (arguably the most competitive league from top to bottom) or Pac-12 games. This clearly shows where ESPN's alliances lie. I personally would love to have seen this year's versions of Cal, UCLA, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/01/14 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No PAC-12 either. Oh well. Typical ESPN.

PostPosted: 10/01/14 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:

Don't know where those rankings came from. No polls have been released for this season. Michigan State was 20/23 at the end of last year. The last time Michigan State was #8 in the AP Poll was March of 2005. The last time they were that high in the USA Today Poll was February of 2011.

PostPosted: 10/01/14 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder whether the Pac-12 would play Monday games for the privilege of being on ESPN. I would hope so, but it's possible they didn't want their players to miss another day of school.

PostPosted: 10/01/14 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I wonder whether the Pac-12 would play Monday games for the privilege of being on ESPN. I would hope so, but it's possible they didn't want their players to miss another day of school.

Huh? As lately as this past January the Pac-12 played on Big Monday...#4 Stanford hosted USC. ESPN made a big deal of it as they were going to have Tina Thompson "banter" back and forth with Candice Wiggins on twitter.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10347603/women-college-basketball-big-monday-smack-talk-debut

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/01/14 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

Don't know where those rankings came from. No polls have been released for this season. Michigan State was 20/23 at the end of last year. The last time Michigan State was #8 in the AP Poll was March of 2005. The last time they were that high in the USA Today Poll was February of 2011.

The rankings came from the "Way-too-early-Top-25" released by Charlie Creme way too early (April 21, 2014).

LINK: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10818155/women-college-basketball-very-early-look-top-25-2014-15-season

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/01/14 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of this has to do with television rights. ESPN already owns the rights to the ACC and SEC games.

The PAC has its own deals that for the most part don't include ESPN. So why should ESPN pay for a PAC game when it is already paying for the rights to these other games and can televise them for no additional charge. You should probably blame Larry Scott, not ESPN.

You'll notice there's no Big East games either, for the same reason.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/01/14 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
pilight wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

The rankings came from the "Way-too-early-Top-25" released by Charlie Creme way too early (April 21, 2014).

LINK: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10818155/women-college-basketball-very-early-look-top-25-2014-15-season

I haven't tracked it so I don't know personally, but someone posted in another thread here that those ESPN rankings have been updated more than once since they were originally published in April.

beknighted

PostPosted: 10/01/14 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is my favorite:

"New ACC rivals Louisville and Notre Dame battle . . ."

As if they hadn't played against each other for years in the BEast.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/01/14 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

I haven't tracked it so I don't know personally, but someone posted in another thread here that those ESPN rankings have been updated more than once since they were originally published in April.

I had read that some time ago as well, but if you check Charlie Creme's archive, this is the most recent WCBB entry, suggesting that if this list were updated, it was not updated by Charlie. Secondly, the rankings listed in Charlie's article are identical to the ones cited in the press release, so it is clear that the rankings used in the Big Monday article were acquired from Creme's list.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/01/14 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Edit - And no Big XII (arguably the most competitive league from top to bottom) or Pac-12 games. This clearly shows where ESPN's alliances lie. I personally would love to have seen this year's versions of Cal, UCLA, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.

ESPN is a business and they run said business to make money. Those are the teams that will get them ratings. That's just the way it works.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/01/14 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

ESPN is a business and they run said business to make money. Those are the teams that will get them ratings. That's just the way it works.

My bad. Didn't realize South Carolina was a ratings bonanza team now. Thanks for the update.

By the way, women's basketball games don't generally draw big ratings regardless of who is playing.

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/01/14 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ucbart wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

My bad. Didn't realize South Carolina was a ratings bonanza team now. Thanks for the update.

By the way, women's basketball games don't generally draw big ratings regardless of who is playing.

South Carolina is on the rise as a big time program, which will gain ratings. But I think you know what I'm saying anyway.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/01/14 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
ucbart wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

South Carolina is on the rise as a big time program, which will gain ratings. But I think you know what I'm saying anyway.

My point is outside of people that are already fans of the game or know the game, how many people actually know that South Carolina is an up & coming team? They certainly aren't a household name like UConn, Tennessee.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/01/14 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before getting all indignant, why not figure out which network owns the rights to the games you want to see broadcast. It's not some grand conspiracy.

Here's some hints. Fox has exclusive rights to B12 WBB. CBS owns the BE. And the PAC has been keeping the games for its own network.

So you're expecting ESPN to buy those games from another network when it already has bought and paid for the rights to other games with at least as much viewer interest.

Go tell FSN to have its own Big Monday and it can show all those Big 12 games itself.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/01/14 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Some of this has to do with television rights. ESPN already owns the rights to the ACC and SEC games.

The PAC has its own deals that for the most part don't include ESPN. So why should ESPN pay for a PAC game when it is already paying for the rights to these other games and can televise them for no additional charge. You should probably blame Larry Scott, not ESPN.

You'll notice there's no Big East games either, for the same reason.

The Pac-12 has a deal with ESPN, I don't know the exact details, but every year 5 Pac-12 games are shown on the ESPN networks.

This year the following Pac-12 games are on an ESPN channel.

Connecticut @ Stanford ESPN 2
Connecticut vs UCLA ESPN 2 (This is the Hall of Fame game, so I assume not part of the Pac-12 deal)
California @ Arizona State ESPNU
California @ Stanford ESPN 2
Stanford @ Oregon ESPNU
Pac-12 Tournament Championship ESPN

Last season ESPN has the Stanford at USC game changed to Monday, so presumable it's not that big of an issue as long as the schools agree I guess. I don't know if ESPN would have to pay money for the Pac-12 to adjust their schedule if they want one of the games to be on a Monday. There are also 16 different games played on Monday, with a few being presumable good games, though maybe not a match up ESPN wanted as part of their "Big Monday" line up. I'm also not sure about priority, if ESPN gets first priority, if the Pac-12 Network gets first Priority, or how any of that works. Again presumable ESPN would get first priority.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/01/14 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
pilight wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:

I had read that some time ago as well, but if you check Charlie Creme's archive, this is the most recent WCBB entry, suggesting that if this list were updated, it was not updated by Charlie. Secondly, the rankings listed in Charlie's article are identical to the ones cited in the press release, so it is clear that the rankings used in the Big Monday article were acquired from Creme's list.

I don't know if the team rankings have been updated, and when it was updated last. But the first pre-season rankings he put out were on March 16th, he updated at least once because in the North Carolina description he mentions Diamond DeShields transferring, and in the link posted above it says Originally published April 21. It may not have been updated since April 21, but back in July when I mentioned it in the Duke schedule thread, the article said Originally published March 16, 2014, so I don't even know when that date was changed.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/01/14 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

That's okay, p-f....Oklahoma's Big Showcase Preseason game is against Duke, and it's not even on a Monday! Razz Laughing

As stated here, Fox Sports 'owns' (?) the Big 12. And I catch some Big 12 games on CBS Sports, too, so you can actually see any number of Big 12 games in any given season, IF you have access to those channels. I always regret that I can't get more Big Ten and Pac 12 games--my cable provider just doesn't have those networks.

PostPosted: 10/02/14 7:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't wait to watch these games!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: