markinct wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
Oh Good no one has done Washington yet

Latta/Hartley
Lawson/Hill/Greene
Herrington/TRP
Messeman/Malott/Milovonivic
Vaughn/Dolson

Dietrick just got a camp invite maybe she makes the roster as a 3rd back up PG over TRP or Greene. Hartley is more of a combo guard so maybe Mike would want another true point.

I wonder if Mike T. might try and experiment with Malott at the 3 for a few minutes a night?

So, you don't think Hawkins will be around?

She won't.... she took a cue from Tayler Hill. 🍼

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
markinct

PostPosted: 04/19/15 5:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL...ohhhhhhhhh Smile

Shades

PostPosted: 04/19/15 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dietrick opens up on path to WNBA and necessary preparation to fulfill her dream

http://dailyprincetonian.com/sports/2015/04/dietrick-opens-up-on-path-to-wnba-and-necessary-preparation-to-fulfill-her-dream/

Quote:
Draft night was a rollercoaster for Dietrick. While projected to be a second- or third-round pick when she first declared, she spent draft night watching pick after pick go by.

However, during the third and final round, a call from the Mystics coach Mike Thibault would change the entire night.

[Thibault] called my coach [Courtney Banghart] and said Were drafting this girl [Marica Gajic], were not drafting Blake, but we want her to come to training camp, Dietrick said.

Quote:
You only get 15 spots in WNBA training camp. Being invited to training camp is a bigger deal then being drafted, Banghart explained. She has an opportunity in front of her.

Nice logic, Banghart. Smile

Quote:
The thing everyones really stressed is that its a profession, its not college basketball anymore, livelihoods are on the line. Its just much more serious when youre on the court, Dietrick said. Its real life. I am a pleaser, trying to make everyone happy. Coach Banghart told me You need to be focused on you. Thatll mean distributing when you need to distribute, but shooting when you need to shoot.

Banghart preaching me-first. She would be perfect for Duke. Smile

Quote:
Her potential position with the Mystics is still up in the air. At Princeton, Dietrick evolved into a ball-dominant guard, who could create plays for her entire team and still get her own shot. According to Banghart, head coach Thibault sees potential for Dietrick to continue that role and to be more of a catch-and-shoot player.

Thibault said she can be used as a combo guard and a lead guard, initiating with the ball or receiving the ball, Banghart added. We need to make sure shes that versatile come training camp. Part of [her appeal] is her ability to shoot the ball.

Quote:
Fellow star on the 2014-2015 team, junior forward Annie Tarakchian, said that Blakes drive to get the WNBA appears just as strong as her desire to win a championship. Like with many in the Princeton community, Tarakchians faith in Dietrick is unwavering.

We all have utmost confidence Shes a rock star on the court, Tarakchian said. If they see her play, and the competitive edge and versatility she has, they cant say no.

Quote:
[Dietrick] does not need to be pushed. She is so competitive. She knows what to do; shell go after it every day with everybody, Tarakchian said. [Theres no] forcing her to do anything. When she has her eye set on something, you have to back off.

nsw43

PostPosted: 04/19/15 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it possible Thibault is tanking the Mystics in a very sly way? These draft picks just don't make sense.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/20/15 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nsw43 wrote:
Is it possible Thibault is tanking the Mystics in a very sly way? These draft picks just don't make sense.

But the roster looks very good ... compared to the rest of the East, Washington could easily be a favorite.

Granted, they have an issue at small forward, but Thibault knows what he's doing and it's possible he'll with Kalana Greene there just for defense, feeling he's got enough scoring elsewhere. Or he can go small as well.

It's not like anyone in the East has a perfect lineup -- Atlanta is apparently counting on rookie point guards.

PostPosted: 04/20/15 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
nsw43 wrote:

But the roster looks very good ... compared to the rest of the East, Washington could easily be a favorite.

Granted, they have an issue at small forward, but Thibault knows what he's doing and it's possible he'll with Kalana Greene there just for defense, feeling he's got enough scoring elsewhere. Or he can go small as well.

It's not like anyone in the East has a perfect lineup -- Atlanta is apparently counting on rookie point guards.

ATL fans are in dreamland if they think rookie PGs are going to be effective for them right out of the gate. They should just stop with the nonsense and start Schimmel.

They should realize early on that Logic inherently doesn't fit their system and trade her to the Lynx for a swap of third rounders in 2016. Cut your losses and move on. Smile Even if Logic can adjust her style to fit ATL, it's going to be a tough transition. The Lynx, whose system is a better fit for Logic, made no effort to get her and instead they went with the experienced Cruz route.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/20/15 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
nsw43 wrote:

There is no elite talent on the DC roster. There are some nice players, but no stars and mostly a collection of spare parts. Awfully hard to win consistently that way.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/20/15 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:
nsw43 wrote:

ATL fans are in dreamland if they think rookie PGs are going to be effective for them right out of the gate. They should just stop with the nonsense and start Schimmel.

They should realize early on that Logic inherently doesn't fit their system and trade her to the Lynx for a swap of third rounders in 2016. Cut your losses and move on. Smile Even if Logic can adjust her style to fit ATL, it's going to be a tough transition. The Lynx, whose system is a better fit for Logic, made no effort to get her and instead they went with the experienced Cruz route.

Shades and Clayk, you guys have me crying with laughter with your comments because they are so true. Laughing I always like to look at things from a positive perspective but we all know how difficult it is for college point guards to adjust to the pro game. Recent examples Vandersloot and Diggins. I hope Cooper knows what he is doing otherwise it is going to be a long hot summer in Atlanta. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/20/15 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:
nsw43 wrote:

There is no elite talent on the DC roster. There are some nice players, but no stars and mostly a collection of spare parts. Awfully hard to win consistently that way.

An excellent point, but assuming Syl doesn't come back, what Eastern team is clearly better at this point? Indiana's best player is 36, Connecticut's star is hurt, Atlanta has no point guard, New York has two players and not much else, and though EDD and Cappie could be a dynamic duo, that's not a powerhouse either.

PostPosted: 04/20/15 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:
nsw43 wrote:

An excellent point, but assuming Syl doesn't come back, what Eastern team is clearly better at this point? Indiana's best player is 36, Connecticut's star is hurt, Atlanta has no point guard, New York has two players and not much else, and though EDD and Cappie could be a dynamic duo, that's not a powerhouse either.

Indiana and NYL both have former MVPs, even though both might play below that level this year. Atlanta and Chicago each have at least t2wo players (probably 3) that are better than anyone on the Mystics. I will take any of that over a team led my Ivory Latta and Stefanie Dolson (or whatever).

This is a league - and sport - led by superstars and you have to have one to win games. Take a look at the participants of the last decade of WNBA finals. There is one team that didn't start at least one US Olympian.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/21/15 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

St. Joe's Cloud is on cloud 9, WNBA-bound

http://6abc.com/sports/st-joes-cloud-is-on-cloud-9-wnba-bound/675088/

Quote:
Her new reality is beginning to sink in ever so slowly.

"Getting that call, my heart sank into my stomach. It was like 'ok, this is real. This is it.' I don't think it really hit me yet. I'm still on cloud nine, no pun intended with that one," Cloud said.

Video at link.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/21/15 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Shades
Banghart preaching me-first. She would be perfect for Duke. Smile
[/quote]

Ha ha. The only me-first attitude at Duke is with the current coach. Pounding square pegs to fit her round holes is her specialty. Reference E.Williams' quote that we'll see more of her face up game in the WNBA. I think lots of folks will be pleasantly surprised, just as they've been by other JPM alums once they're free from the constant pounding.

I'd give my first born to have a coach again who encourages players to play their best game and then constructs game plans around what they do best. Or a coach like Mike T who has a system and selects players based on how they fit rather than on just taking the highest ranking players.

I can hardly wait to watch EWill playing bball with passion again.

~rAf
tfan

PostPosted: 04/21/15 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

They should realize early on that Logic inherently doesn't fit their system and trade her to the Lynx for a swap of third rounders in 2016.

In what way does Logic inherently not fit their system?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/21/15 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

They should realize early on that Logic inherently doesn't fit their system and trade her to the Lynx for a swap of third rounders in 2016.

I explained that in the ATL thread.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/21/15 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

I'm sorry that I missed what must have been an uncharacteristically long and thorough analysis.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/22/15 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

I'm sorry that I missed what must have been an uncharacteristically long and thorough analysis.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/22/15 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:
Shades wrote:

Oh my god LOLOL

Shades

PostPosted: 04/22/15 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After Monumental Senior Year for PU Womens Hoops, Dietrick Headed to Washington Mystics of WNBA

http://www.towntopics.com/wordpress/2015/04/22/after-monumental-senior-year-for-pu-womens-hoops-dietrick-headed-to-washington-mystics-of-wnba/

Quote:
I didnt realize it was an option until the day after the Maryland game, said Dietrick, a 510 native of Wellesley, Mass. who had a job offer pending from Holborn, a reinsurance brokerage firm.

Quote:
"I started doing workouts with my teammates, small group workouts with guards, said Dietrick, who also took part in the annual State Farm College 3-point Shooting Championships at Butlers Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind. in late March. I was also working with the coaches and hitting the weight room.

Quote:
True to form, Dietrick will be working hard to make the most of her opportunity to extend her basketball life, hitting the grindstone as the Mystics training camp starts on May 17 at the Verizon Center in Washington and runs through May 29 with three preseason games on the schedule.

Ill lift three times a week and do up to two workouts a day with my teammates and coaches, said Dietrick, who has only one exam pending at Princeton and will be able to graduate with her class.

Dietrick is confident she can lift her game to a pro level. I just want to play hard and make smart decisions with the ball, said Dietrick.

I want to push the pace and put the ball in the basket. The coach said to just do what you do, there is no need to reinvent your game.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/27/15 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20150425/SPORTS/150429516/101124/SPORTS

Quote:
The Family Farm appearance was part of Dolson's brief local tour. She was the star of a Zumbathon at Minisink Valley High on Friday night and will appear at the Boys & Girls Club in Circleville on Monday.

PostPosted: 04/29/15 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dayton forward Ally Malott graduates Sunday and looks forward to WNBA

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/recruiting-blog/2015/04/29/dayton-forward-ally-malott-graduates-sunday-and-looks-forward-to-wnba/26587597/

Quote:
"It's just like an amazing opportunity," Malott told the UD athletics website. "I didn't where I would go (whether it would be the) first, second, third round because all the mock (draft) predictions are all over the place sometimes. But, I'm really excited to continue my career in Washington, D.C."

Quote:
Malott, a 6-foot-4 forward, is a 'stretch four' presence with her ability to shoot inside and out. She has the ability to extend the defense by stepping out 20 to 25 feet and knocking down jumpers.

Malott also can play with her back to the basket and had the ability to utilize her guard skills with passing the ball.

"She will one of the most skilled kids at her size in that league," Jabir said.

Washington Mystics head coach and general manager Mike Thibault watched Malott in seven or eight college games this season and also paid close attention to televised games.

"In my mind, she is the best definition of the modern "stretch four" in this draft," Thibault told the Mystics website. "She is one of the best shooters in the draft at any position. She helps space the floor, can play around the basket and is a very good outlet passer to start the break."

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/14/15 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
She will head overseas to Washington, DC to join the Washington Mystics training camp. Milovanovic will re-join the Serbs a couple of days before EuroBasket Women 2015, which starts on June 11.

http://lovewomensbasketball.com/2015/05/14/jelena-milovanovic-to-attend-washington-mystics-training-camp-before-eurobasket-women/

Shades

PostPosted: 05/19/15 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guru's WNBA Report: Mystics Rookies Natasha Cloud and Blake Dietrick Relish Arriving at the Next Level

http://womhoops.blogspot.com/2015/05/guru-wnba-report-mystics-rookies.html

Quote:
Thibault, though, minced no words on draft night saying that had not Mallot still been on the board, he would not have hesitated to take Cloud in the first round.

Dietrick was signed as an undrafted free agent, but possessing qualities in which Thibault felt the Ivy player of the year deserved a shot from the Tigers squad that made history with a 30-0 season before losing in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

Fit in first, learn what were doing, Thibault said about the role of rookies on a squad in his third season after being let go from a decade running the Connecticut Sun.

Thibault thinks that his squad should now be thinking about winning the WNBA title.

Quote:
I expect a lot from them right away.

As for the motivating factor to sign Dietrick, Thibault noted, With Blake, you saw a player who played both guard positions, you have a player who is a very capable three-point shooter. Shes a tall guard which allows her to do a lot of things.

She knows she has a battle on her hands just to try to make a roster but its an opportunity for her to come in and see what she can prove. Watching her in college, I thought she made good decisions and anytime you have an offensive weapon that can stretch the floor, I think you need to give them a shot to see what they can do.

Quote:
But the Guru did ask Thibault, looking at the competition in the Eastern Conference, who made the most improvement.

I dont really have a feel for that because right now theres still a lot of question marks from teams in our league. In our division, Connecticut had a big loss with (Chiney) Ogwumike being out,: he said of the reigning rookie of the year out of Stanford.

What Sylvia Fowles does with (reigning Eastern Conference playoff champion) Chicago will have an impact. New Yorks added new pieces but they havent played together yet. Atlantas going to miss Sancho Lyttle, possibly, in the early part of the season so I really feel our conference is in flux and at least early in the season, Thibault said.

So if somebody can get off to get a good start and get some momentum can maybe take control of it a little bit.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/19/15 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades

PostPosted: 05/23/15 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Five Burning Questions Entering 2015

http://mystics.wnba.com/news/five-burning-questions-entering-2015/

Quote:
1. What Will the Rotation Look Like?

There are very few guaranteed spots on this Mystics roster, which could be a good thing.

Ivory Latta, who has made back-to-back WNBA All-Star Games, should be a safe bet to start at point guard for the 2015 Mystics.

Bria Hartley, who the team acquired on draft night last season, made 29 starts a year ago and will likely start alongside Latta in the backcourt. When healthy, Armintie Herrington, who the team signed as a free agent this offseason, could get the start at the SF spot.

Up front, look for Emma Meesseman, Kia Vaughn and Stefanie Dolson to log heavy minutes

Quote:
2. What Kind of Impact Will the Rookies Make?

This is always one of the toughest parts to predict, because rookies can learn at different paces. Some can jump in and make an immediate impact, while others can take a while to adjust to the speed of the professional game.

Theyve all been what we hoped for, theyve been smart, they pick things up quickly, their basketball instincts have been good, and they fit in well with the players we have.

Quote:
3. How Will Tayler Hill Bounce Back?

After giving birth, shes now back in great shape and vying for a position on this 2015 squad. She has great speed and athleticism from the guard position and has the ability to be a great defender. She could be an x-factor for this Mystics team and will be one to watch throughout camp.

Quote:
4. What Will be the Teams Identity?

They have a lot of versatility and players who can play multiple positions on the floor. They have a post presence and plenty of shooters to surround them, an area Thibault felt like needed improvement from a year ago. They want to be a fast-paced team that scores in transition, which they have built a roster in order to play that way.

Quote:
5. What are the Expectations for the Season?

With another year of experience for many of the young players, they have to set their goals on improving upon the last two seasons. In a wide open Eastern Conference, theres no reason to believe this team cant compete and contend in the East and can set their goals on reaching the WNBA Finals.

LosLynxAngeles

PostPosted: 05/23/15 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Five Burning Questions Entering 2015

http://mystics.wnba.com/news/five-burning-questions-entering-2015/

Quote:
1. What Will the Rotation Look Like?

There are very few guaranteed spots on this Mystics roster, which could be a good thing.

Ivory Latta, who has made back-to-back WNBA All-Star Games, should be a safe bet to start at point guard for the 2015 Mystics.

Bria Hartley, who the team acquired on draft night last season, made 29 starts a year ago and will likely start alongside Latta in the backcourt. When healthy, Armintie Herrington, who the team signed as a free agent this offseason, could get the start at the SF spot.

Up front, look for Emma Meesseman, Kia Vaughn and Stefanie Dolson to log heavy minutes

Quote:
2. What Kind of Impact Will the Rookies Make?

This is always one of the toughest parts to predict, because rookies can learn at different paces. Some can jump in and make an immediate impact, while others can take a while to adjust to the speed of the professional game.

Theyve all been what we hoped for, theyve been smart, they pick things up quickly, their basketball instincts have been good, and they fit in well with the players we have.

Quote:
3. How Will Tayler Hill Bounce Back?

After giving birth, shes now back in great shape and vying for a position on this 2015 squad. She has great speed and athleticism from the guard position and has the ability to be a great defender. She could be an x-factor for this Mystics team and will be one to watch throughout camp.

Quote:
4. What Will be the Teams Identity?

They have a lot of versatility and players who can play multiple positions on the floor. They have a post presence and plenty of shooters to surround them, an area Thibault felt like needed improvement from a year ago. They want to be a fast-paced team that scores in transition, which they have built a roster in order to play that way.

Quote:
5. What are the Expectations for the Season?

With another year of experience for many of the young players, they have to set their goals on improving upon the last two seasons. In a wide open Eastern Conference, theres no reason to believe this team cant compete and contend in the East and can set their goals on reaching the WNBA Finals.

I noticed Tayler Hill was listed as 5'11, could she possibly play SF until Arminitie is back to full health as well? The SG position seems like its going to be a battle between Hartley, Lawson and Hill.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: