RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mb1

PostPosted: 06/07/15 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Francis staying to train with the Opals crossed my mind as well.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Randy

PostPosted: 06/07/15 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Extremely early 2016 Roster prediction:

PG: Taurasi, Mitchell
SG: Taylor,Currie
SF: Bonner, Harden

PF: Dupree, Bass
C: Griner, Francis, Harrison

?? You given up on this season already?

Shades

PostPosted: 06/07/15 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how much they are paying Currie and Mitchell?

I also wonder if they'd be amenable to pay cuts.

To me, Harrison will probably play PF at the W level.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/07/15 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:

Always a possibility with aussies in Olympic years.
Though I get the impression that Joyce is less anti-WNBA than Graf was, but that is all just talk so far. We can only wait and see what happens.

I'm hopeful that we will still see some aussie presence in the WNBA next season, and I'm also hopeful that Cayla can establish herself this season as a lock for the Opals team, thereby increasing the leverage she has if she does want to return to Phoenix.

PostPosted: 06/08/15 6:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Though I get the impression that Joyce is less anti-WNBA than Graf was, but that is all just talk so far. We can only wait and see what happens.

I'm hopeful that we will still see some aussie presence in the WNBA next season, and I'm also hopeful that Cayla can establish herself this season as a lock for the Opals team, thereby increasing the leverage she has if she does want to return to Phoenix.

Tell that to Jenna O'Hea Wink Before this season Cayla def wasn't a lock for the Opals when you consider Batkovic, Cambage and maybe LJ returning and Bishop outplaying her in the WNBL. But how she plays in the wnba will def have some influence.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/08/15 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Tell that to Jenna O'Hea Wink Before this season Cayla def wasn't a lock for the Opals when you consider Batkovic, Cambage and maybe LJ returning and Bishop outplaying her in the WNBL. But how she plays in the wnba will def have some influence.

I think he is anti-Jenna and anti-Abby, but not anti-WNBA.
When it comes to players he definitely has his favourites.

The reason I say that about Cayla is that he clearly favours her over Abby, and LJ's prospects of playing her usual major role are looking really shaky right now. Additionally, Hodges has traditionally been an Opals staple but her days are numbered, and unlike Graf, Joyce seems very focussed on making the team younger.

So you are right in a way. Cayla shouldn't strictly be called a lock. But if my interpretation of Joyce's vibes are correct then all signs point to her being there.

PostPosted: 06/08/15 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joyce is getting a nice look at a lot of his key players against top-level competition this year. There were four freaking Aussies starting in one game on Saturday night!

They've really built a big group of players who can hit from outside (Mitchell, Phillips, O'Hea, Allen, Francis, Bishop - plus Taylor, Jackson, Cambage, Jarry in an ideal world) which still feels like one of the key elements in making that longshot freak win over the US possible. Gotta light it up from outside and force the US into an off-night at the other end.

PostPosted: 06/08/15 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/2015/06/05/phoenix-mercury-championship-rings/28544537/

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
soyouthink

PostPosted: 06/08/15 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Joyce is getting a nice look at a lot of his key players against top-level competition this year. There were four freaking Aussies starting in one game on Saturday night!

They've really built a big group of players who can hit from outside (Mitchell, Phillips, O'Hea, Allen, Francis, Bishop - plus Taylor, Jackson, Cambage, Jarry in an ideal world) which still feels like one of the key elements in making that longshot freak win over the US possible. Gotta light it up from outside and force the US into an off-night at the other end.

I think that Houston Rockets style is the only way to beat them on the right day. A pick n roll with Liz rolling hard to the rack and 3pt shooters everywhere else. Shoot over 30 3s at 50% and you're in with a chance. If you miss a bunch of shots you lose by 20+ which is pretty much business as usual.

PostPosted: 06/08/15 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Richyyy, your comment about lighting it up from the outside gave me a flashback of the 2012 Olympic game USA men's basketball team versus Nigeria. I have never witnessed in all the decades that I have been on this planet watch one team make as many three point shots in one game. Shocked

Richyyyy, I think I remember you saying that you were at that gsme.

PostPosted: 06/09/15 5:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

It certainly would be a longshot freak win, but yes it would definitely require hitting reliably from outside, which is not unreasonable, but having those shots available in the first place will rely heavily on Liz I think. She showed in London that she can be a handful for the best post defenders around. Only her own poor conditioning put a stop to her dominance that night, or else that really could have been a contest.

PostPosted: 06/09/15 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Richyyy, your comment about lighting it up from the outside gave me a flashback of the 2012 Olympic game USA men's basketball team versus Nigeria. I have never witnessed in all the decades that I have been on this planet watch one team make as many three point shots in one game. Shocked

Richyyyy, I think I remember you saying that you were at that gsme.

Yeah, that was the Carmelo game. It felt like he hit at least half of them. It was right after another depressing incredibly close Great Britain loss, so at least it gave us something else to focus on instead.

PostPosted: 07/01/15 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Extremely early 2016 Roster prediction:

PG: Taurasi, Mitchell
SG: Taylor, Magden
SF: Bonner, Harden

PF: Dupree, Bass
C: Griner, Francis, Harrison

Very preliminary and speculative...yet we were talking about this the other day...

Harden has been impressive.

Not certain about Magden above (I just moved Harden from SG to SF and fillled in Tess' name)...and also not certain what this says about Currie, Quinn, Christon, or Bias (or what their contracts may dictate).

There is also Xargay to factor in (as well as Steph Talbot?).

Also not certain of the contract status for Bass (Francis could move from C to PF, with Harrison as back up center).

Pretty much just a slow work day and I wanted to see Taurasi's name on a roster.

http://espn.go.com/wnba/team/stats/_/name/phx/phoenix-mercury

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/03/15 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bye, Tess Sad

Madgen waived to make way for Xargay.

PostPosted: 07/03/15 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Bye, Tess Sad

Aww Tess Sad
I hope she enjoyed her time in Phoenix.

PostPosted: 07/03/15 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Bye, Tess Sad

Aww Tess Sad
I hope she enjoyed her time in Phoenix.

Tess will be missed...such a sweetheart.

Marta sounds likea great addition.

Change Magden to Xargay on my 2016 roster projection above.

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/03/15 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably the right cut, although Bias or Christon could've easily been dumped as well. Harden's growing on me as a viable WNBA player, although she's a bit Gilbreath-y.

A lot of those big-ish wings (or combo-forwards) who can play some D and work hard seem to be floating around this year. Which ones stick is going to come down to who can show actual consistent offensive threat. There aren't many Armintie Herringtons in the WNBA.

PostPosted: 07/04/15 5:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im excited to see how Xargay will play in the league. She is a calmer version of Cruz. Can hit the midrange shot, get people involved, can also play the 2 and plays some D aswell

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 07/04/15 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://mercury.wnba.com/news/marta-xargay-reports-to-the-mercury/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 07/04/15 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Im excited to see how Xargay will play in the league. She is a calmer version of Cruz. Can hit the midrange shot, get people involved, can also play the 2 and plays some D aswell

Also bigger, stronger, and younger. I've seen Cruz get out-muscled by big guards. Much less likely with Xargay. Also, Marta pushes the ball hard on almost every possession, and she takes it straight to the basket unless stopped. Cruz pushes, but she pulls-up once she gets to the front court. On defense, Xargay will not pressure a ballhandler all the way up court the way Anna does.

I wonder if Tulsa would have any interest in Magden. They can really use the guard help, and Magden can play multiple positions.

PostPosted: 07/16/15 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://instagram.com/p/5LTuizBxEn/

DT & Penny looking gorgeous for the ESPYS!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/28/15 6:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Steph Talbot Has It

Quote:
When shell head to the WNBA is anybodys guess, but one thing we know for sure: the New Zealand Tall Ferns are about to find out precisely who Steph Talbot is.

PostPosted: 07/28/15 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Random stat notes, as of the All-Star Break ...

1) Phoenix is -67 in rebounds, which pretty much pinpoints the problem

2) The Mercury are +26 in fouls, +31 in free throws, +36 in steals and +41 in blocks

3) DeWanna Bonner is shooting 23.4% from three, but takes four threes a game anyway

4) Candice Dupree can shoot (48% overall, 81.8% from the line) but won't shoot threes. DeWanna, please note ...

5) Leilani Mitchell is making 49.1% of her threes and her A/TO is 46/24

6) Cayla Francis can shoot 48.8%, block shots (2.5/36 minutes), rebound 8.9/36 but is contact-averse (6 FTA in 226 minutes)

7) Alex Harden can't shoot (26.8%)

PostPosted: 07/28/15 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Random stat notes, as of the All-Star Break ...

1) Phoenix is -67 in rebounds, which pretty much pinpoints the problem

2) The Mercury are +26 in fouls, +31 in free throws, +36 in steals and +41 in blocks

3) DeWanna Bonner is shooting 23.4% from three, but takes four threes a game anyway

4) Candice Dupree can shoot (48% overall, 81.8% from the line) but won't shoot threes. DeWanna, please note ...

5) Leilani Mitchell is making 49.1% of her threes and her A/TO is 46/24

6) Cayla Francis can shoot 48.8%, block shots (2.5/36 minutes), rebound 8.9/36 but is contact-averse (6 FTA in 226 minutes)

7) Alex Harden can't shoot (26.8%)

The Phoenix rebounding has been just terrible to say the least. Pree averages like 5 a contest but she was averaging at least 7.5/8.5 last year. BG is 6'8" but we all know she is not rebound oriented but she's been the best rebounder on the team this year. DB and her 3's....... Leilani needs to shoot more, and a Harden needs to stop. I complain about her shooting every game.

PostPosted: 07/28/15 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marta Xargay out 1-2 weeks.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: