RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 09/17/14 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/11522205/phoenix-mercury-championship-run-ranks-best-teams-wnba-history?ex_cid=2014_social_ESPNWTDFY14_FacebookM_aqsn

Quote:
"If we can keep that first five healthy and together, then we have a good chance," Brondello said of winning again in 2015. "But Minnesota's going to get better, Tulsa's going to get better -- a lot of teams will improve. And now we have the big 'X' on our back as the champion.

Notice how Brondello lists Tulsa as the second team of particular concern.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
jlight

PostPosted: 09/17/14 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
mb1 wrote:
http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/11522205/phoenix-mercury-championship-run-ranks-best-teams-wnba-history?ex_cid=2014_social_ESPNWTDFY14_FacebookM_aqsn

Quote:
"If we can keep that first five healthy and together, then we have a good chance," Brondello said of winning again in 2015. "But Minnesota's going to get better, Tulsa's going to get better -- a lot of teams will improve. And now we have the big 'X' on our back as the champion.

tulsa is the few teams that beat them..and they will have the giant back next year...

caune

PostPosted: 09/17/14 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
Shades wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Quote:

tulsa is the few teams that beat them..and they will have the giant back next year...

Tulsa, and San Antonio, beat them early in the season before they know how good they could be, and before Penny was a starter. I do not suspect that will happen next season.....even if by some miracle Cambage shows up.

PostPosted: 09/17/14 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
jlight wrote:
Shades wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Quote:

Tulsa, and San Antonio, beat them early in the season before they know how good they could be, and before Penny was a starter. I do not suspect that will happen next season.....

but if they had bay bay and Liz they would have beat alot of teams including mercury.. the game that they meat mercury they had bay bay and it was at their home floor. also phx had everybody...and there like 4-1 or something like that.. but i don't think anybody else is going to win the WNBA title except mercury or the lynx and who has the home court advantage will win....the Title...

Shades

PostPosted: 09/17/14 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
jlight wrote:
Shades wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Quote:

Tulsa, and San Antonio, beat them early in the season before they know how good they could be, and before Penny was a starter. I do not suspect that will happen next season.....even if by some miracle Cambage shows up.

Do you really think it'll take a miracle for Cambage to show up? Somebody's in denial.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/17/14 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
caune wrote:
jlight wrote:
Shades wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Quote:

Tulsa, and San Antonio, beat them early in the season before they know how good they could be, and before Penny was a starter. I do not suspect that will happen next season.....

but if they had bay bay and Liz they would have beat alot of teams including mercury.. the game that they meat mercury they had bay bay and it was at their home floor. also phx had everybody...and there like 4-1 or something like that.. but i don't think anybody else is going to win the WNBA title except mercury or the lynx and who has the home court advantage will win....the Title...

Hmm im not so sure that if Williams and Cambage will play that they will beat a lot of teams all of a sudden. Cambage return will improve their interior defense a bit but they will still be bad in transistion defense and be one of the worst teams or worst defense team in the league. I still think they need a solid veteran to guide them

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
jlight

PostPosted: 09/17/14 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
jlight wrote:
caune wrote:
jlight wrote:
Shades wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Quote:

but if they had bay bay and Liz they would have beat alot of teams including mercury.. the game that they meat mercury they had bay bay and it was at their home floor. also phx had everybody...and there were like 4-1 or something like that.. but i don't think anybody else is going to win the WNBA title except mercury or the lynx and who has the home court advantage will win....the Title...

Hmm im not so sure that if Williams and Cambage will play that they will beat a lot of teams all of a sudden. Cambage return will improve their interior defense a bit but they will still be bad in transistion defense and be one of the worst teams or worst defense team in the league. I still think they need a solid veteran to guide them

yeah i agree with you, but still tho they could have won a lot more games than they did even without liz, but they couldn't close out games.. they a lot of close games...

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/17/14 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
jlight wrote:
caune wrote:
jlight wrote:
Shades wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Quote:

but if they had bay bay and Liz they would have beat alot of teams including mercury.. the game that they meat mercury they had bay bay and it was at their home floor. also phx had everybody...and there were like 4-1 or something like that.. but i don't think anybody else is going to win the WNBA title except mercury or the lynx and who has the home court advantage will win....the Title...

yeah i agree with you, but still tho they could have won a lot more games than they did even without liz, but they couldn't close out games.. they a lot of close games...

Yeah but that is part of that veteran point that i was trying to make. They have a young team and also young 2 pointguards/guards/leaders.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
jlight

PostPosted: 09/17/14 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
jlight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
jlight wrote:
caune wrote:
jlight wrote:
Shades wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Quote:

Yeah but that is part of that veteran point that i was trying to make. They have a young team and also young 2 pointguards/guards/leaders.

yep.. plus they need a small forward who is good premiere defender....
K mac and Maya Moore destroyed them...

caune

PostPosted: 09/18/14 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
caune wrote:
jlight wrote:
Shades wrote:
mb1 wrote:

Quote:

Do you really think it'll take a miracle for Cambage to show up? Somebody's in denial.

Well gosh, you are so right. She has such a stellar record for attendance, why would I doubt she'll show???

PostPosted: 09/18/14 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
Forgot that we drafted Talbot...Aussie PG.

http://lovewomensbasketball.com/2014/04/15/phoenix-mercury-drafts-australian-forward-stephanie-talbot-33rd/

Forward or PG? Which is it....LOL. My guess a poor man's Penny Taylor. Which is fine by me. Bring that girl over. I doubt we get all 11 to return. Change always happens even if it's just to the 10th and 11th players on the bench.
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/18/14 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just don't think a no-conscience gunner like Riquna Williams is going to make a big difference for any WNBA team.

I also think her big night was a fluke, and regular play would expose her defense and shoot-first mentality -- and she is a career 37.4% shooter who had more turnovers than assists last year.

She's played 71 games for a team that's never made the playoffs and started 11, at 20.5 mpg overall, which tells you how much the two head coaches have valued her.

I'm not saying she's terrible, but to think that a healthy Williams is going to get a lot of minutes and vault the Shock into third place just isn't backed up by her history.

PostPosted: 09/18/14 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone know if Penny Taylor is still under contract for next season? Last I heard, she re-signed after the 2011 season, but that contract would have expired after this year.

I know she won't play anywhere but Phoenix, but I find it a bit odd that they didn't re-sign her when Diana and Dupree signed extensions.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 09/19/14 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix Mercury @PhoenixMercury 3h
"Glory Is Ours" a @PhoenixMercury season-in-review show recapping the 2014 Championship season, will debut Tues. at 10:30 pm @FOXSPORTSAZ

PhoenixxLily
I Voted

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 09/30/14 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
An average of 9,557 fans attended Mercury games this season, an 11.7% increase over the 2013 season, and the highest team attendance average in 14 seasons (10,130, 2000). A total of 162,464 fans passed through the gates during the 17 regular season home games at US Airways Center, the fourth-highest total single-season attendance in franchise history and the highest since 1999. Not coincidentally, with the help of the X-Factor, the Mercury posted an overall home record of 21-1 in 2014 and ended the season winning 20 consecutive games at US Airways Center (5-0 in the postseason).

Including the postseason, when Phoenix averaged 11,665 fans per game, a grand total of 227,086 fans saw a Mercury game at US Airways Center in 2014.

On television, six Mercury games were among the top-10 most watched WNBA games on the ESPN family of networksthe WNBAs broadcast partnerin 2014. Game 2 of the WNBA Finals, played at US Airways Center in front of a raucous crowd of 13,348, marked the highest rated WNBA Playoff game on ESPN since 1999. Game 1 of the WNBA Finals, also in Phoenix, was the highest rated WNBA Finals game on ABC since 2007 and, according to Sports Business Daily, that game was the highest-rated WNBA Finals Game 1 since 1999. Game 3 of the Western Conference Finals between the Mercury and Minnesota Lynx at US Airways Center aired on NBA TV and marked the networks best WNBA Playoff audience on record.

http://www.wnba.com/mercury/news/business_2014_140930.html

pilight

PostPosted: 10/02/14 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MercFan23 wrote:
Anyone know if Penny Taylor is still under contract for next season? Last I heard, she re-signed after the 2011 season, but that contract would have expired after this year.

I know she won't play anywhere but Phoenix, but I find it a bit odd that they didn't re-sign her when Diana and Dupree signed extensions.

Why do you assume she wouldn't play anywhere but Phoenix? She has a good relationship with Dan Hughes from when she played for him in Cleveland.

PostPosted: 10/02/14 8:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
MercFan23 wrote:

Why do you assume she wouldn't play anywhere but Phoenix? She has a good relationship with Dan Hughes from when she played for him in Cleveland.

Maybe because she has said so a thousand times?

PostPosted: 10/02/14 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
pilight wrote:
MercFan23 wrote:

Lots of players have said they would never play anywhere other than where they are and then signed elsewhere. Cappie Pondexter said she never wanted to play anywhere but Phoenix...

PostPosted: 10/02/14 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
caune wrote:
pilight wrote:
MercFan23 wrote:

Lots of players have said they would never play anywhere other than where they are and then signed elsewhere. Cappie Pondexter said she never wanted to play anywhere but Phoenix...

Cappie wanted to be the star of the franchise. Probably the opposite of what Penny wants. Also Penny has a pretty good reason to stay with the Mercury..

About her not signing yet she probably wanted to see how her knee would hold up after the Worlds. What i can tell from her interviews is that she really takes it day by day right now. She doesnt plan too much ahead because she never knows what might happen with her knees

pilight

PostPosted: 10/02/14 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Taylor's going anywhere, but I do enjoy annoying caune with talk of Penny Taylor and Dan Hughes having good relations from Cleveland.

PostPosted: 10/02/14 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

She played for Hughes for three seasons. She has played in Phoenix beginning with the 2004 season - a total of nine seasons (not counting 2012, which she missed due to injury).

Hughes has been with San Antonio since 2005. She could have gone to play for him at any time. Yet she always returns to the franchise with the deepest history with/connection to Australian players and coaches.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/14 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

She played for Hughes for three seasons. She has played in Phoenix beginning with the 2004 season - a total of nine seasons (not counting 2012, which she missed due to injury).

Hughes has been with San Antonio since 2005. She could have gone to play for him at any time. Yet she always returns to the franchise with the deepest history with/connection to Australian players and coaches.

Does this mean Mitchell to the Mercury is as good as a done deal?

PhoenixxLily
I Voted

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 10/02/14 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I don't think Taylor's going anywhere, but I do enjoy annoying caune with talk of Penny Taylor and Dan Hughes having good relations from Cleveland.

you do realize that caune bites, right?

pilight

PostPosted: 10/02/14 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhoenixxLily wrote:
pilight wrote:

you do realize that caune bites, right?

I've had my shots

PostPosted: 10/02/14 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

and that scrub DT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: