RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Official Skylar Diggins 2015 off season thread!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sigur3

PostPosted: 09/08/14 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beemer wrote:
Let me preface this by saying I don't hate Skylar Diggins. She's probably a nice person.

However I do think she gets attention all out of proportion to her accomplishments on the court and that annoys the hell out of me.

Think Anna Kournikova with a basketball instead of a tennis racquet. Though unlike Kournikova Diggins still has plenty of time left in her career to change that perception, and she has shown the willingness & discipline to improve her game.

She was a top 5 guard in the league this season and will likely make at least the All-WNBA 2nd team. I don't think the Kournikova comparison holds much water anymore.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/08/14 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Beemer wrote:
Let me preface this by saying I don't hate Skylar Diggins. She's probably a nice person.

However I do think she gets attention all out of proportion to her accomplishments on the court and that annoys the hell out of me.

Think Anna Kournikova with a basketball instead of a tennis racquet. Though unlike Kournikova Diggins still has plenty of time left in her career to change that perception, and she has shown the willingness & discipline to improve her game.

She was a top 5 guard in the league this season and will likely make at least the All-WNBA 2nd team. I don't think the Kournikova comparison holds much water anymore.

Second in the league in scoring, fourth in the league in assists. Broke the All Star Game single game scoring record (which was thereafter broken by Schimmel in the same game).

But hey, she hasn't done anything.

I suppose it's her fault she got drafted by a crappy team so she hasn't made the playoffs in two years. BTW, Taurasi didn't make the playoffs her first three years either.

AAOK423

PostPosted: 09/08/14 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diggins is young, pretty, and immensely talented, it would be more controversial if she wasn't getting the attention that she is getting. She works hard to improve her game and has improved her game so why should she not enjoy the attention? As for the attention she gets not matching her accomplishment...like stated they very well have but even if they didn't, so what?! The WNBA still has to scratch and claw for every inch of attention that's necessary in order to grow and improve the league....so what if players like Diggins and Schimmel and a few others are young and don't have a championship under their belt yet or won a ton of awards or broke a ton of records (which they both already got a nice start on)....they are both bringing in fans, opening up the viewership to new audiences, and doing it while playing good basketball. They along with many young players are the future of this league and its great the they are being acknowledged now rather than later when they have more years under their belt. Mainstream media likes youth and the young players that are bringing in fans; Diggins, Schimmel, Delle Don, ect. are more likely to keep those fans throughout the career which I think is better than waiting until they are in their late 20's or 30's when they have won a championship or MVP and then trying to market them and the league to people who don't watch.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/08/14 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Beemer wrote:

So its the attention people hate? Its seems its a thorn in many people's ideal of what Diggy is and what they think she should be. Would it be better if she got little to none? I am not trying to be johnny-to-the-defense for Diggy. In my opinion, she needs no defense. Just saying, should she...turn down publicity, the attention, potential revenue streams, shun the spotlight, so she can blend in with the types of people you consider real basketball players? She won MIP this season, proof positive that she cares about her game. The other stuff is icing on the cake. It affords her a decent living.

Exactly. ^^
As fans of a small league, aren't we all armchair marketing experts by now? Why aren't people understanding how this stuff works? Diggins in the front row of a couple of fashion week shows last week. It was "WNBA star, Skylar Diggins" in the press photos. If her whereabouts gets the league mentioned outside of traditional sports mediums, that's not a bad thing.

There is no need for Diggins to hide the shadows until she wins MVP or something. Sponsors/organizations are looking for endorsers with appeal. They are not looking on wnba.com for stats, nor reading Rebkell to make their decisions. She puts in the legwork to be seen, and being seen maximizes her earning potential.

I have a feeling that some W fans just aren't used to a player, (or players) getting this kind of off court attention, since the league itself is so starved for attention....so, the reaction ranges from apathy to annoyance.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/08/14 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't mind so much if people (especially hardcore bball junkies like us RebKellians) get annoyed when a player gets attention that is disproportionate to their playing ability, while other seemingly more deserving players are left out. That frustration is understandable to me.
What I don't like is when that frustration is directed at the player.
If Skylar markets herself well then I applaud that. My frustration goes more towards the media or the marketers or whoever else is dropping the ball when it comes to the other players.

Having said all that, it's just awesome that Skylar has elevated her game the way she has, because it kills the whole issue.
Many of those people who tuned into the WNBA for the Skylar hype may have been lost to the league as fans if she had just flopped once she got into this league, which would have been a pity. No such issues though because she is proving to be the real deal.

PostPosted: 09/08/14 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
My frustration goes more towards the media or the marketers or whoever else is dropping the ball when it comes to the other players.

Maybe it's not the media that dropping the ball, maybe it's the players themselves. It takes a heck of a lot of time and effort to work on her appearance and attire, to travel the country making personal appearances and interacting with fans, to build and maintain her social media following. She made a choice to stay in the US and build that following and to make herself attractive to advertisers, and passed up easy money playing in Turkey or Russia or Italy or wherever.

Nobody handed her anything. She has worked her ass off to build her image and popularity. Others who have chosen other routes can't complain they don't receive the same attention.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/08/14 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I don't mind so much if people (especially hardcore bball junkies like us RebKellians) get annoyed when a player gets attention that is disproportionate to their playing ability, while other seemingly more deserving players are left out. That frustration is understandable to me.
What I don't like is when that frustration is directed at the player.
If Skylar markets herself well then I applaud that. My frustration goes more towards the media or the marketers or whoever else is dropping the ball when it comes to the other players.

It happens on the men's side too unfortunately. It's the LeBron Basketball Association. Imagine if Maya or Diana got his treatment from the media and whatnot. The WNBA doesn't have the structure to handle it. Heads would explode in the league office.

Yesterday, I saw a live read promo from sportscenter that said, "Elena Delle Donne and her Chicago Sky...". Really? Not a knock on EDD, but some media, marketers, and the Wnba itself is going to do what's easiest , and familiar, sadly.

If there are players looking to maximize opportunities, they have to line up their up people, and get out there themselves.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/08/14 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to LLL, Skylar and the other young hotshots are just following her blueprint:

Quote:
Diggins, another face of the WNBAs bright future, is the leagues No. 2 scorer and jersey seller. She finished with 27 points and seven assists, leading the Wests comeback charge. She has also followed in Leslies trailblazing footsteps as a model and brand and is signed to Jay Zs Roc Nation Sports fam.

http://www.theshadowleague.com/articles/our-game-2-skylar-diggins-and-shoni-schimmel-are-wnba-marketing-majors
GEF34

PostPosted: 09/08/14 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
According to LLL, Skylar and the other young hotshots are just following her blueprint:

Quote:
Diggins, another face of the WNBAs bright future, is the leagues No. 2 scorer and jersey seller. She finished with 27 points and seven assists, leading the Wests comeback charge. She has also followed in Leslies trailblazing footsteps as a model and brand and is signed to Jay Zs Roc Nation Sports fam.

http://www.theshadowleague.com/articles/our-game-2-skylar-diggins-and-shoni-schimmel-are-wnba-marketing-majors

I didn't see one quote from Lisa Leslie in the article you linked, it sounds like it's all the writers opinion, so I'm not understanding the "according to LLL".

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/08/14 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there is a flaw in the logic that Skylar's receiving attention in the world of Fashion, Social Media, or other outlets such as Wild-n-Out is because of her performance as a basketball player.

Yes it was basketball that brought Skylar into the public eye, but she has parlayed that notoriety into pursuit of other interest outside the world of basketball. Her getting a spread in Sports Illustrated swim suit issues isn't because she is the best basketball player, but because she is a basketball player who looks like a swim suit model. Her getting on Wild-n-Out isn't because of her field goal percentage, it is because she has created cache for herself as a "sports personality" within hip-hop and fashion. She is going to continue to expand her brand because she is actively pursuing these opportunities, it is not like she is taking away opportunities from other "more deserving" player, she is creating these opportunities for herself.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 09/08/14 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfan

PostPosted: 09/08/14 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a player getting attention outside the women's basketball world is a cross that WNBA fans have previously never had to bear.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/09/14 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I think a player getting attention outside the women's basketball world is a cross that WNBA fans have previously never had to bear.

I think its a good thing and certainly when she is also proving it on the court. She had a great 2nd season and whatever she did in the offseason it worked.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Beemer

PostPosted: 09/09/14 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Beemer wrote:

I gave her full credit for improving her game this season. Prior to that her rookie season was a disaster yet it didn't make a dent in her commercial opportunities. That's what I mean by being rewarded all out of proportion to her accomplishments.

PostPosted: 09/09/14 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beemer wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Beemer wrote:

I gave her full credit for improving her game this season. Prior to that her rookie season was a disaster yet it didn't make a dent in her commercial opportunities. That's what I mean by being rewarded all out of proportion to her accomplishments.

Most big time college stars sign their shoe and other promotional contracts the moment they end their amateur careers before they have ever played a single professional game. It's based on projections. It's never based on "accomplishments". And in this case, as in most cases, Nike guessed right.

Nike signed Labron to a 7 yr $90M contract before he ever left high school. He hadn't "accomplished" a thing when they made that deal.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/09/14 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beemer wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
Beemer wrote:

She didn't meet high expectations (neither did Griner for that matter), but her rookie season was hardly a disaster. She led all rookies in assists and steals. Third in scoring. All Rookie team. People that didn't give up hope on Diggins knew she had the toughest transition and had the determination to improve. Wasn't much risk investing in Diggins.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 09/09/14 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/09/14 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is also true that many WNBA stars don't want to put themselves in the public eye because they're not ready to publicly admit that they're gay.

That's not a criticism -- everyone has the absolute right to reveal what they want to reveal -- but it's a real issue. It's also one reason that the WNBA has had trouble, in their parlance, "telling great stories about our players," because many times that great story might reveal things the players don't want to reveal at this point in their lives.

I wouldn't call this a problem, but it is an issue.

PostPosted: 09/09/14 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
It is also true that many WNBA stars don't want to put themselves in the public eye because they're not ready to publicly admit that they're gay.

That's not a criticism -- everyone has the absolute right to reveal what they want to reveal -- but it's a real issue. It's also one reason that the WNBA has had trouble, in their parlance, "telling great stories about our players," because many times that great story might reveal things the players don't want to reveal at this point in their lives.

I wouldn't call this a problem, but it is an issue.

X__________________

Absolutely. With my alma mater alone, I can think of a bunch of players this applies to. Even the ones with "girl next door" looks (ala Diggins) who could be (or could have been) marketed to the male demographic that fuels many popular sports.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/09/14 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
According to the reporter who wrote the article on LLL, Skylar and the other young hotshots are just following her blueprint:

Quote:

I didn't see one quote from Lisa Leslie in the article you linked, it sounds like it's all the writers opinion, so I'm not understanding the "according to LLL".

My bad. Guess I assumed. Better?
hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/11/14 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to Diggy for making the 1st Team All WNBA! The young lady is making strides. Very Happy
hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/16/14 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not completely on topic but here is some fan art of Diggy, I came across.

http://fav.me/d6jroe0
hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/24/14 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11579548
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 10/06/14 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://officialskylardiggins.com/
jlight

PostPosted: 10/06/14 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SKYLAR TEAMS UP WITH BODYARMOR...she is getting paid..

pilight

PostPosted: 10/15/14 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/SkyDigg4/status/522402637052796928

PostPosted: 10/15/14 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/SkyDigg4/status/522402637052796928

"everyone has the absolute right to reveal what they want to reveal "
- ClayK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: