Minnesota Lynx 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 07/31/15 6:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucdt3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
4) Seimone Augustus would be even better if she weren't 2 for 16 from three (12.5% if you're counting)

She's basically decided that the current women's line is a little outside her range, so she rarely takes them. After jacking plenty earlier in her career, Whalen did the same thing a few years ago (probably partly because the line was moved back, but it was a good idea even ignoring that).

While being a threat from 3 helps stretch a defense on all sides, it's vastly preferable to the course of action taken by someone like Dwyane Wade - the "I've sucked from out here my entire career but I'm just gonna carry on heaving them" plan.

Or Angel McCoughtry.

(who until this season has only once ever shot above .300 on the season while typically shooting over 100 3pt. shots; oddly enough she's been almost worse INSIDE the arc this season than behind it...37.5% overall and 36.5% (career high--by a decent amount) from 3...so far this season.)

I keep wondering how long her current 3 pt % will last. But I think the disparity between her 2 pt % and her 3 is that opposing teams are guarding her from two point range and just giving her the 3.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/31/15 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
ucdt3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
4) Seimone Augustus would be even better if she weren't 2 for 16 from three (12.5% if you're counting)

She's basically decided that the current women's line is a little outside her range, so she rarely takes them. After jacking plenty earlier in her career, Whalen did the same thing a few years ago (probably partly because the line was moved back, but it was a good idea even ignoring that).

While being a threat from 3 helps stretch a defense on all sides, it's vastly preferable to the course of action taken by someone like Dwyane Wade - the "I've sucked from out here my entire career but I'm just gonna carry on heaving them" plan.

Or Angel McCoughtry.

(who until this season has only once ever shot above .300 on the season while typically shooting over 100 3pt. shots; oddly enough she's been almost worse INSIDE the arc this season than behind it...37.5% overall and 36.5% (career high--by a decent amount) from 3...so far this season.)

I keep wondering how long her current 3 pt % will last. But I think the disparity between her 2 pt % and her 3 is that opposing teams are guarding her from two point range and just giving her the 3.

Opponents have been doing that for years, though.

I think most of it is just the naturally fairly small sample sizes that the WNBA season produces. We don't get the 82 games the NBA offers to even out the statistics, so you end up with some outliers (like that one season in Seattle where Swin Cash could suddenly hit threes).

Last season, McCoughtry was 31-105 from beyond the arc, for a .295 that was just a tick above her terrible career percentage. So far this year, she's 19-52 for .365. So for the same percentage as last year, she'd have hit 15 or 16 instead of 19. It's three prayers dropping in instead of rimming out. That's how small the margins are in the WNBA percentages, even for someone who shoots as much as McCoughtry.

PostPosted: 07/31/15 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I did some back of the envelope calculations and I don't think there are enough data points to say there is a statistically significant difference between this years 36.5 and her career 29 and change. I keep fearing the day when mean reversion

toad455

PostPosted: 08/12/15 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shae Kelley has been signed for the rest of the season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 08/12/15 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Highlights from Reeves interview on KFAN today.

Seimone should be ready in about 11 days.

Chicago was the aggressor in Sylvia trade.

She told GM she has a playbook with Sylvia in it and her not, so if he couldn't pull it off, no worries.

Sylvia said she wanted to grow and not get stuck doing one thing. Sylvia believes she is capable on the wing.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 08/12/15 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sylvia playing the wing? I got to see that.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/12/15 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Sylvia said she wanted to grow and not get stuck doing one thing. Sylvia believes she is capable on the wing.

Don't go chasing waterfalls
Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to

PostPosted: 08/12/15 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
Sylvia playing the wing? I got to see that.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 08/12/15 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Don't go chasing waterfalls
Please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to

I disagree. Friday would be the perfect time for Sylvia to try out her new ideas.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/12/15 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Seimone should be ready in about 11 days.

I wasn't listening that closely to the whole thing so maybe I missed some things, but I wonder if maybe you misheard this. Augustus should be ready for ATL in two days. She'll have her first full practice tomorrow. What I heard about "11" is the team has 11 games left in the season to become a well-oiled machine. They aren't there yet.

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Chicago was the aggressor in Sylvia trade.

I heard this. I also heard Chatman wasn't interested in the multiple perceived lesser pieces (sometimes referred to as table scraps) that the Lynx were offering. Chatman wanted one significant piece. So they had to go the three team route.

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
She told GM she has a playbook with Sylvia in it and her not, so if he couldn't pull it off, no worries.

Wait, I was told in a different thread that it was Reeve who pulled off this trade. Meh.

I liked the original concept that Fowles would just clean up rebounds and be a defensive stopper (which hasn't really come to fruition). If there's two playbooks, they should be one for playing against Griner and one for playing against everybody else. The Lynx tend to struggle against Griner if they aren't hitting outside shots. Griner affects the game so much she's worthy of her own playbook.

ChicagoAnnie wrote:

I missed this part. Fowles wasn't on the show, so it must have been Reeve conveying this. Hopefully Reeve was just being glib or funny because it makes little sense.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/13/15 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sylvia on the wing ...

I'm envisioning a quick crossover, attack the basket, kick to the weakside for an open three.

Or not.

PostPosted: 08/13/15 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What they probably meant was playing from the high post, facilitating a bit, and taking an occasional mid-range jumper. We've already seen an extra mid-range shot or two from Fowles than we used to see in Chicago. And while it hasn't always worked out well, we've seen her used as a fulcrum and passer more than in Chicago, too.

They're still working out how to fit her in, how much to change themselves to fit her compared to how much she should just fit in to their usual stuff.

PostPosted: 08/14/15 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't get it, as Sylvia at the high post is pretty much a waste, as far as I can tell. Is she going to make an elbow jumper? Is she going to make a good high-low pass? What exactly can she do there?

Though I don't think Fowles is a great player, she's very, very good and is a formidable piece in any championship puzzle. She's a force on the block, and demands doubleteams there, and is a solid defender and good rebounder, so I don't want to sound like I'm bashing her.

But she is who she is, and on the wing or at the elbow, I just can't see her being nearly as effective as when she's on the block.

PostPosted: 08/14/15 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I really don't get it, as Sylvia at the high post is pretty much a waste, as far as I can tell. Is she going to make an elbow jumper? Is she going to make a good high-low pass? What exactly can she do there?

Turn it over.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 08/14/15 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Turn it over.

Laughing

Shades

PostPosted: 08/31/15 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nika Baric (suspended) signed by UMMC Ekaterinburg.
Isn't that Taurasi's club?

http://www.basket.ugmk.com/ru/news/index.php?id15=17598

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/31/15 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nika Baric (suspended) signed by UMMC Ekaterinburg.
Isn't that Taurasi's club?

http://www.basket.ugmk.com/ru/news/index.php?id15=17598

Yes she is the replacement of Silvia Dominguez

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
bryan_february_

PostPosted: 09/02/15 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So where's the '15 catwalk video... I need more than just a recap video. Mad

PostPosted: 09/02/15 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bryan_february_ wrote:

The guy who usually shoots it makes a production out of it, so it takes some time.

bryan_february_

PostPosted: 09/02/15 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
bryan_february_ wrote:

The guy who usually shoots it makes a production out of it, so it takes some time.

Oh okay, I see... I'll exercise some patience then. Cool

PostPosted: 09/06/15 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: