RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Sky's Quigley WNBA "Sixth Woman of Year"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 08/23/14 10:04 pm    ::: Sky's Quigley WNBA "Sixth Woman of Year" Reply Reply with quote

http://www.redeyechicago.com/sports/breaking/chi-skys-quigley-named-wnba-sixth-woman-of-year-20140823,0,5277030.story

Quote:
Earlier this season, Sky coach Pokey Chatman told guard Allie Quigley, “You’re the captain of my second team.”

Sunday, the WNBA will announce that Quigley has become the league-wide version of captain of the second team by being voted Sixth Woman of the Year.

The sixth-year pro from Joliet Catholic and DePaul received more than two-thirds of the 38 votes from a national media panel.

Read more at http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-skys-quigley-named-wnba-sixth-woman-of-year-20140823,0,1589734.story#QqziH11OPiLtjjQU.99

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/23/14 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When the Sky first signed Quigley to a contract a year ago I was not impressed. Her early pro career did not impress me and her Depaul career was okay not great. Watching her play last season confirmed the doubts that I had about her as a player.

This year she changed my attitude about her. She played with more polish to her game. Her decision making was better. She shot the ball better. I am not going to label an all-star but she has elevated herself to become a competent WNBA player. She plays at a consistent high level with a low number of mistakes per game. Those are the qualities that any WNBA coach would want from their players.

Go Quigley! Represent the Sky in the playoffs and win more games! Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/23/14 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cool!

Interesting how she attributes her success to playing overseas. I'm guessing it helps people like her get better because it's a level sort of in-between college and WNBA.

PostPosted: 08/23/14 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's killed the Dream -- if she plays 80% as well against other teams this is an award well deserved!

Though I HATE that she does well ( Evil or Very Mad ) I do love her on court attitude and demeanor -- very focused and goes about her business.

PostPosted: 08/24/14 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quigley is most deserving, imo. Just one of those examples of a formerly mediocre player rising up to the challenge of becoming Much Better. Cool

PostPosted: 08/24/14 6:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
Cool!

Interesting how she attributes her success to playing overseas. I'm guessing it helps people like her get better because it's a level sort of in-between college and WNBA.

She was a go to player on her overseas teams for the past few years. I think that build her confidence and when the top players were out for the Sky she wasnt shy to take over a bit more. And lets be honest she was never shy to take almost every shot she liked Laughing

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
scullyfu

PostPosted: 08/24/14 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CONGRATS to Allie. proof that perseverance and belief in oneself can do wonders.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/24/14 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.wnba.com/news/allie_quigley_sixth_woman_2014_08_22.html

Most people hate poetry
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 08/24/14 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chicago would not of made the playoffs if she had not contributed so much with her leadership and offense. Outstanding player and a very nice person. Congrats Quigley

Howee

PostPosted: 08/24/14 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
.... And pls dont mention Allie Quigley Rolling Eyes Because we are the only team that gave her multiple chances in training camp and she isnt that good.
(written less than a month ago...)

Michelle89 wrote:
....And lets be honest she was never shy to take almost every shot she liked Laughing

Okay. Let's BE Honest. Did someone misjudge? Laughing

PostPosted: 08/24/14 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Touche Howee Laughing

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/24/14 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
Sky Sign Allie Quigley

Meh..

I'm so sorry I ever doubted Alexandria Quigley. Please continue to get buckets, thank you. Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/24/14 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does this increase her chances to be Most Improved? There seems to be so much talk about Skylar Diggins but Skylar wasn't "bad" prior, she just wasn't really fitting into her role with the Shock....Quigley has just flat out gotten BETTER as a player which is what the award is supposed to be. Just wonderin if this helps or has no effect what so ever.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/24/14 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Skylar Diggins have commitments that keep her from playing in Europe - and pay her more than a European salary? She has improved a lot this year, but I have a feeling that playing in Europe would be better for her development than a personal trainer. Unless that stay-stateside work includes regularly playing better-than-WNBA-level men.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/24/14 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
.... And pls dont mention Allie Quigley Rolling Eyes Because we are the only team that gave her multiple chances in training camp and she isnt that good.

Michelle89 wrote:
....And lets be honest she was never shy to take almost every shot she liked Laughing

I judged her on her play for the Storm in training camp for the past how many seasons that the Storm gave her a chance. I judged her on the years that ive seen her play overseas.. So it's not that im just saying things without any proof of it.. She sure as hell IS NOT a pointguard and she just isnt a fit for the Storm. She works for the Sky because she has the green light to take almost every shot she likes because they need bench scoring and they needed a lot of scoring in the absence of their superstars and she gave them that.

If Pokey was as hard on her as she has been for the past few years on Sloot then Allie would be at the end of the bench after a couple of games
Wink But Pokey has decided to take the bad with the good and it's working for the Sky. Her confidence is at an all time high and she is playing very well. She deserves this award this season

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 08/24/14 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

markinct wrote:
Does this increase her chances to be Most Improved? There seems to be so much talk about Skylar Diggins but Skylar wasn't "bad" prior, she just wasn't really fitting into her role with the Shock....Quigley has just flat out gotten BETTER as a player which is what the award is supposed to be. Just wonderin if this helps or has no effect what so ever.

Diggins is mo betta

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/24/14 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grats to Allie. She has performed spectacularly for the Sky this year. well deserved.

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/24/14 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

markinct wrote:

What? Skylar was terrible last year. No two ways about it.

Howee

PostPosted: 08/24/14 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Howee wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I judged her on her play for the Storm in training camp for the past how many seasons that the Storm gave her a chance. I judged her on the years that ive seen her play overseas.. So it's not that im just saying things without any proof of it.. She sure as hell IS NOT a pointguard and she just isnt a fit for the Storm.

Okay. No one said she has to be a point guard. But you DID make your claim about her not being 'that good' just a couple of weeks ago. And, I get it--she didn't do well for the Storm. But that doesn't prove "she isn't that good".
markinct wrote:

I doubt the Powers That Be will decide Allie deserves 2 awards, especially when there are other deserving candidates--Paris and Breland come to mind. Diggins? She'd be a prime candidate for the Finally Playing Like She's Been Expected To Play award. Razz
myrtle wrote:
Grats to Allie. She has performed spectacularly for the Sky this year. well deserved.

Myrtle? Do I sense some *pain* in that utterance? Laughing

PostPosted: 08/24/14 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Does Skylar Diggins have commitments that keep her from playing in Europe - and pay her more than a European salary? She has improved a lot this year, but I have a feeling that playing in Europe would be better for her development than a personal trainer. Unless that stay-stateside work includes regularly playing better-than-WNBA-level men.

No Skylar & Elena just both make enough in endorsements to not have to play overseas and just train here in the offseason. Candace Parker could easily stay here as well but she says she is thinking about the future (already a multi millionaire air power couple though).

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/24/14 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

myrtle wrote:

not at all. I may have dissed her when she deserved it, but she's been hugely improved this year. She's not in the same category as T.Young or D.McCray in my comments...and I've even softened on T.Young, though I still wish she weren't a starter.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 08/24/14 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mmmmmm myrtle, I know your a Sky fan at heart.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/24/14 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Howee wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I judged her on her play for the Storm in training camp for the past how many seasons that the Storm gave her a chance. I judged her on the years that ive seen her play overseas.. So it's not that im just saying things without any proof of it.. She sure as hell IS NOT a pointguard and she just isnt a fit for the Storm.

Okay. No one said she has to be a point guard. But you DID make your claim about her not being 'that good' just a couple of weeks ago. And, I get it--she didn't do well for the Storm. But that doesn't prove "she isn't that good".
:

I made that claim because someone said that she was a missed opportunity for the Storm and Agler to develop etc. She isnt proving to me that she is that good that we blew the chance to develop her. SHe isnt that good. She was in Storm training camp seeing if she could backup Sue at the point. She ISNT showing me now: damn i wish we had Allie as our backup pointguard. She isnt that good. She is good as a scorer off the bench and give the team a lift offensively and she is doing that well for the Sky

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 08/24/14 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89, there is no doubt Allie is not a point guard. The team plays so much better when Vandersloot is running the team. Allie plays much better receiving the ball and moving to a clear shooting area. The one part of her game that has improved this year is her movement without the ball and her shooting percentage. Shooting 70% is not bad.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/24/14 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:

myrtle wrote:

not at all. I may have dissed her when she deserved it, but she's been hugely improved this year. She's not in the same category as T.Young or D.McCray in my comments...and I've even softened on T.Young, though I still wish she weren't a starter.

I can't figure out why you developed a hard stance on Young. Usually you're so nurturing to the mid-major players.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: