RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Liberty Draft..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redann

PostPosted: 08/29/14 8:51 pm    ::: Liberty Draft.. Reply Reply with quote

Kiah Stokes

''A member of the 2013-14 All-American Athletic Conference Second Team, Stokes enters her senior season eighth on UConn's all-time blocked shots list with 178 career rejections ... Has shot at a 61.2 percent clip from the field in her career and needs 31 more made field goals to surpass the minimum needed for requirement. The 61.2 percent mark would be third on UConn's all-time field goal percentage list ... Her 278 rebounds in 2013-14 were the sixth-most ever pulled down by a UConn junior while her 89 rejections was the third-highest total by a Husky junior ... A member of the 2011-12 Big East All-Freshman Team.''

"BEFORE UCONN
Averaged 25.0 points, 14.8 rebounds and 5.1 blocks per game in her final year at Linn-Mar High School ..."

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/29/14 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree it's possible she turns into a decent W prospect, but am thinking that if she shows anything at all this year, she will go in the first round. You know: 'can't teach size'...

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/29/14 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stokes could be a good find for the Liberty at #16, but Myrtle has hit it on the head, if Stokes improves this season it is hard to see a true big like her with a UConn pedigree still being available at #16 (in a weak draft), if she doesn't improve it does throw up red flags with her being able to make it in the W unless her lack of improvement is based simply not getting minutes behind better players like Stewart or Tuck, in which case it might be worth it for the Lib to still take a chance on her.

If Cruz doesn't come back I wonder if someone like De Paul's Hyrenko could fall to #16, or if former bigger name point guards like Tenn's Masangale or Stanford's Orrange would be worth giving a look if they are still on the board at #16.

People who watch college ball, who are some posts or SFs that might still be there at #16 that the Liberty should be taking a look at? (just looking for some hope before the long off season for the Liberty without a 1st round pick.)

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/29/14 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No. Not impressed with her as a player, not interested in Auriemma's style of center (the big bulky person who gets fed for high-percentage shots but otherwise is there to primarily make the other team's life hell), very much not interested in becoming the UConn post-graduate center.

PostPosted: 08/29/14 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
No. Not impressed with her as a player, not interested in Auriemma's style of center (the big bulky person who gets fed for high-percentage shots but otherwise is there to primarily make the other team's life hell), very much not interested in becoming the UConn post-graduate center.

Guess you don't want championships in NY then. Besides, every team is going to become Uconn post-graduate centers over the next several year because all of the best players are usually from Uconn. It's inevitable.

PostPosted: 08/30/14 5:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Yeah, the Liberty much preferred to become the Rutgers post grad center with Kia Vaughn, Cappie and Essence Carson and we can see how that all turned out. Very Happy

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/30/14 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

markinct wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Yeah, the Liberty much preferred to become the Rutgers post grad center with Kia Vaughn, Cappie and Essence Carson and we can see how that all turned out. Very Happy

I didn't like that plan either, for the record.

PostPosted: 08/30/14 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, Stokes is fairly mobile for a post player. When Baylor made a brief comeback against UConn this season, it was because they were able to get out on the break and create odd man rushes (hockey term). The main culprit who couldn't get back on defense was KML. Geno finally had enough and inserted Kiah in place of Kaleena. The ESPN announcers immediately announced that, "Geno is going big." Well, not really. Geno was looking for more speed, which in this case coincided with going bigger.

I would take Stokes right now over Avery Warley. Neither is much good offensively, and both are hard-working rebounders. The difference is that Stokes is quicker and more athletic on defense. NY lost a game to CT this year because Warley couldn't guard Kelsey Griffin off the dribble at crunch time. I don't think that would have happened against Stokes.

PostPosted: 08/30/14 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if they're projecting that kid on South Carolina as a possible Lottery pick...Stokes is a first rounder. The 2nd round will be more a 3rd round type but could be some good value.

PostPosted: 08/30/14 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Haven't seen her. But knowing how these things work any type of numbers will get her into the first round. It's not as though she is flying under the radar at UConn. 7 rebounds in 18 minutes per game means she will probably get a good amount more as she will likely get more minutes. They signed 4 five star guards as per ESPN.com and no centers, so appears as though she replaces Dolson, or if not that, she at least gets more minutes. If she gets to double-digit rebounds and close to double-digit points, she's probably going before the Liberty pick.

PostPosted: 08/30/14 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty trade into the first round.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/30/14 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's gonna be interesting to see if anyone's willing to give up a 2016 first-rounder to get into the 2015 first round. Because there are those prizes of Stewart and Loyd at the top of 2016, but there's a few people around the league who could well be thinking "if we're crappy enough to be in the lottery in 2016 I'll be out of a job anyway, so what do I care about giving up that pick?"

PostPosted: 08/30/14 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

markinct wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Well we have 3 UCONN players this yr, and yea we see how that turned out. At least we did make the playoffs with those Rutgers players, while you are laughing.

PostPosted: 08/30/14 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:
markinct wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Well we have 3 UCONN players this yr, and yea we see how that turned out. At least we did make the playoffs with those Rutgers players, while you are laughing.

I wasn't saying that the LIberty needed to have Uconn players to make the playoffs...I was merely stating that of those three Rutger's Players, Kia Vaughn is no longer with the team and Carson has faded into oblivion. Frankly, I think Swin Cash made a huge impact on the LIberty in the final few games, more than I would have EVER thought possible. I think she proved she's still got some value.

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/30/14 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's generally considered a weak draft, but it's deep in mid-sized post players:

Dearica Hamby 6-3
Elizabeth Williams 6-3
Isabelle Harrison 6-3
Chelsea Gardner 6-3
Rashanda Gray 6-3
Martha Alwal 6-4

I think those players are the higher rated posts right now. Stokes would be in the second group:

Sune Agbuke 6-4
Cyesha Goree 6-3
Kiah Stokes 6-3
Emilie Cady 6-2
Sara Hammond 6-2

Not everyone needs a post player, and those who do will have plenty of choices. I don't think it's unrealistic right now to think that Stokes will be taken somewhere around #16. Obviously, a lot can change, but for at least a few months more Redann can hold on to her dream. Wink

PostPosted: 08/30/14 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus Ibiam

root_thing

PostPosted: 08/31/14 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Plus Ibiam

Thanks. I kept staring at my list with this nagging feeling that someone was missing. Mystery solved. Very Happy

PostPosted: 08/31/14 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goree is an interesting one. Seen her a few times, a bit of a slasher, can score...but not an outside shooter...If Bill took Toni Young to try to make her a oversized slashing 3 and the trend going to oversized 3 (I mean the sparks were putting PARKER there) But 4 also a need...I'd give her a whirl at that point in the 2nd round

As for trading back in as long as they don't go anywhere NEAR the 2016 pick I'm good, and given this draft to hook up with a playoff team to get one of those 4s listed (except Hammond, not a fan of hers), shouldn't take too much

PostPosted: 09/02/14 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So in the LA thread an actual LA fan said they would be interested in A. Montgomery, which makes sense because the 3 post line up didn't work for LA and Montgomery could give them a defensive 3 who can shoot the 3 which is something they were missing this year. She could split time with Beard at the 3 and you could even move beard back to the 2 for some line ups.

Not trying to get rid of Montgomery but I was thinking maybe we could put Montgomery together with our #16 pick for LA's #7 pick (in other drafts I could see LA turning this down, but in a not so strong draft maybe LA goes with more of a known commodity).

With the #7 pick NY could then target either Cal senior R. Gray a strong 6' 3" PF who would be a great fit for our front-court or othe Cal senior B. Boyd a 5' 9" defensive minded PG who would be a great fit in the back-court now and for the future. If both are gone by #7 then maybe one of the other top posts would still be on the board.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/02/14 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

With the #7 pick NY could then target either Cal senior R. Gray a strong 6' 3" PF who would be a great fit for our front-court or othe Cal senior B. Boyd a 5' 9" defensive minded PG who would be a great fit in the back-court now and for the future. If both are gone by #7 then maybe one of the other top posts would still be on the board.

I'd be shocked if both are gone by #7. I think Reshanda Gray can become a successful role player in the WNBA, she crashes the boards hard, has a few decent moves in the post and she has great hands. Plus she is a solid post defender. I'm interested in seeing where she goes and how she develops.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 09/02/14 6:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do think 3 is our biggest place to change, not just to get better but to deal from. Monty is a nice piece, she can play it's just that you don't get points from her. She's there as a defender. Trading her and the 16 to get back in at 7 would be a good move. As for Gray someone like Pierson who Pierson can mentor could be a sound long term investment. 4 is Stable enough with Talbert you can go 3 headed monster and keep Pierson off the bench where she works better. I don't mind that idea at all

It depends how we fill 3...don't want to trust Carson she'll have to earn it on the court. Cash seems to be leaning retirement (and wasn't great shakes this year to begin with) One name we calculated by year should be a UFA is Tamera Young, would be a battle but Chicago needs to save core slots and has some players coming off big years they likely need to re sign (Including young) so it depends on if Pokey thinks EDD is a full time 3 or full time 4 in my opinion.

But Monty to get back in would be very good value

PostPosted: 09/02/14 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
So in the LA thread an actual LA fan said they would be interested in A. Montgomery

Are you sure they didn't mean R Montgomery, which makes sense in light of Sparks fans losing confidence in Harding. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade R Montgomery would be over Harding though.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/02/14 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
So in the LA thread an actual LA fan said they would be interested in A. Montgomery

Are you sure they didn't mean R Montgomery, which makes sense in light of Sparks fans losing confidence in Harding. I'm not sure how much of an upgrade R Montgomery would be over Harding though.

It was Alex, but I'm pretty sure Renee has been mentioned in some trade ideas with LA as well.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/02/14 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok J-Spoon. J. Thomas for A. Montgomery. Both RFA's.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/02/14 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Ok J-Spoon. J. Thomas for A. Montgomery. Both RFA's.

I could see this happening. I'm not sure if I would make that trade if I was the GM of either team based on preferring the player I am familiar with, but both do kind of fit some of what the other team needs. NY still needs shooter but Jasmine would be a good back-up to Cruz or insurance if Cruz didn't return, I'm not sure there is a better solution to NY's pg position, I think BL would like her size and physicality, but that means Cappie/Carson and Sugar need to be hitting their 3s for it to work. Montgomery is a great back-up to Angel and can hit from outside, on a team with as many scorers as Atlanta has she would work well. IDK, I wouldn't hate it, but I wouldn't jump for joy either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: