RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA All-Rookie Team
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/28/14 10:05 am    ::: WNBA All-Rookie Team Reply Reply with quote

Chiney
Sims
McBride
Hartley
Thomas

Shoni received one ROY vote, but did not make All-Rookie team.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/14 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You must be happy, Dave. You've got two on the team. Any data with this announcement?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sigur3

PostPosted: 08/28/14 10:46 am    ::: Re: WNBA All-Rookie Team Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Shoni received one ROY vote, but did not make All-Rookie team.

Hi, Jayda!

Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/14 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Voting is conducted by the WNBA head coaches, who are not allowed to vote for players on their own team. Each coach selects five players. A player is given a point for every vote they receive. The All-Rookie Team is generally composed of a five-woman lineup. In the case of a tie at the fifth position, the roster is expanded. No respect is given to positions. For example, the all-rookie team can have four forwards, and one guard.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/28/14 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now its interesting to guess who voted for Shoni for ROY. I'm guessing it was either Williams or Donovan. They wouldn't want to hurt their own players chances by voting for the next best player so they vote for someone unlikely to be ROY.

buzzyb

PostPosted: 08/28/14 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Now its interesting to guess who voted for Shoni for ROY. I'm guessing it was either Williams or Donovan. They wouldn't want to hurt their own players chances by voting for the next best player.

The media votes for ROY and coaches vote for the All-Rookie team, no?

It was Jayda who voted for Shoni, she made that clear on Twitter. And I won't fault her for it, she was impressed with Shoni, so what? It didn't change the outcome of who won 1st, 2nd or 3rd, so it really isn't that big a deal.

Last edited by buzzyb on 08/28/14 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/28/14 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
You must be happy, Dave. You've got two on the team. Any data with this announcement?

http://www.wnba.com/news/all_rookie_team_2014_08_27.html

The future is looking up in Connecticut. Very Happy

justinabina

PostPosted: 08/28/14 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Now its interesting to guess who voted for Shoni for ROY. I'm guessing it was either Williams or Donovan. They wouldn't want to hurt their own players chances by voting for the next best player so they vote for someone unlikely to be ROY.

The media votes for ROY, not the coaches. The coaches choose the all-rookie team.

I was expecting (hoping) it'd be a six-member team this year. Lots of hard work and some very exciting moments from several rookies. I think the five chosen are deserving. I'd be happy with Shoni on there too.

Wouldn't be surprised if many fans aren't happy, though. I was wondering if the clip of Shoni's top 10 plays of the season, which was posted yesterday, was a bit of advance fan-management on the part of the league. But maybe that's jaded thinking.

Anyhow, no doubt this'll motivate Shoni to work hard and come back stronger next season.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/14 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ATL was a bad situation for Schimmel to earn ROY, with Dumerc coming in to cloud things. Had she gone to say the NYL or TUL (w/o Sims) and played the same way...who knows?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/28/14 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justinabina wrote:
Randy wrote:

The media votes for ROY, not the coaches. The coaches choose the all-rookie team.

I was expecting (hoping) it'd be a six-member team this year. Lots of hard work and some very exciting moments from several rookies. I think the five chosen are deserving. I'd be happy with Shoni on there too.

Wouldn't be surprised if many fans aren't happy, though. I was wondering if the clip of Shoni's top 10 plays of the season, which was posted yesterday, was a bit of advance fan-management on the part of the league. But maybe that's jaded thinking.

Anyhow, no doubt this'll motivate Shoni to work hard and come back stronger next season.

There are 6 missing votes that the top 5 did not receive. As with the MVP voting they aren't telling us how they were divided or among who. Shoni might have been in my top 5.

The top 3 were obvious and predictably were unanimous. Got a lot fuzzier after Ogwumike, Sims and McBride.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 08/28/14 11:20 am; edited 2 times in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 08/28/14 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justinabina wrote:

I think this is true.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/28/14 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
justinabina wrote:
Randy wrote:

There are 6 missing votes that the top 5 did not receive. As eith MVP they aren't telling us how they were divided or among who. Shoni might have been in my top 5.

The top 3 were obvious and predictably were unanimous. Got a lot fuzzier after Ogwumike, Sims and McBride.

He said she got one for Rookie of the Year. She may have gotten more for the All Rookie team, perhaps even all six of the missing votes.

PostPosted: 08/28/14 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

appropriately so.

justinabina

PostPosted: 08/28/14 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
There are 6 missing votes that the top 5 did not receive. So if it's correct that Shoni only got 1, she's either tied with five others, or (more probably) there were one or more other players above her. Which surprises me. She might have been on my 5.

Ah, that 1 for Schimmel that was mentioned above was a vote for ROY, not all-rookie. Like the other awards, the remaining votes for all-rookie are clouded in mystery, lost on a desert island, off the radar, AWOL...

Lots of very solid rookies this year! 2014: excellent vintage.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 08/28/14 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

He said she got one for Rookie of the Year. She may have gotten more for the All Rookie team, perhaps even all six of the missing votes.

Yep. Already noticed that and fixed my post. Misread it originally.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/28/14 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justinabina wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
There are 6 missing votes that the top 5 did not receive. So if it's correct that Shoni only got 1, she's either tied with five others, or (more probably) there were one or more other players above her. Which surprises me. She might have been on my 5.

Ah, that 1 for Schimmel that was mentioned above was a vote for ROY, not all-rookie. Like the other awards, the remaining votes for all-rookie are clouded in mystery, lost on a desert island, off the radar, AWOL...

Lots of very solid rookies this year! 2014: excellent vintage.

Unlike MVP, the W has always done the All Rookie teams this way.

PostPosted: 08/28/14 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that's the right five, although Schimmel and Cruz had an argument.

It's just a fantastic rookie class, IMO.

On a side note, because I'm such a fan, I'm really glad to see Hartley get the nod. She can be a little looked over at times (even by fans of her own team) so I'm glad she was a part of the team.

PostPosted: 08/28/14 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shoni is salty to say the least. Her twitter is full of rts about how mad they are about her not making it. Not exactly professional of her. She teams to be more about herself than her team kinda like Angel imo

pilight

PostPosted: 08/28/14 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LosLynxAngeles wrote:
Shoni is salty to say the least. Her twitter is full of rts about how mad they are about her not making it. Not exactly professional of her. She teams to be more about herself than her team kinda like Angel imo

Hopefully she will channel that anger into something productive.

PostPosted: 08/28/14 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
LosLynxAngeles wrote:

Hopefully she will channel that anger into something productive.

Like defense?

Randy

PostPosted: 08/28/14 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is an awesome time to be a Dream fan. Now we have the 2 biggest lightening rods in the WNBA. Why its electrifying. Razz

buzzyb

PostPosted: 08/28/14 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LosLynxAngeles wrote:

I'd probably be salty too. She started out strong, then became inconsistent, but no doubt ended the season off well. The league used her name quite a bit to make money, I can understand why some are annoyed that she was left off the list.

I wouldn't go as far as saying she's selfish though.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/28/14 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LosLynxAngeles wrote:

To clarify, apparently Schimmel's retweeting fan comments about how she should have made All Rookie. She's not making these comments herself.

If you don't acknowledge fan support, it comes off as aloof, which isn't good for maintaining your twitter fan base.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/28/14 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

going back and looking at their stats, it's really hard to see a difference between Hartley and Shoni. It would have been appropriate to have them tied. And the one who has a beef would be Cruz, assuming they did treat her as a rookie.

I assume voters primarily went by PPG, which is what we usually see.

bbdawg1959

PostPosted: 08/28/14 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
LosLynxAngeles wrote:

To clarify, apparently Schimmel's retweeting fan comments about how she should have made All Rookie. She's not making these comments herself.

If you don't acknowledge fan support, it comes off as aloof, which isn't good for maintaining your twitter fan base.

Good point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: