RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Leader of the Pack - starring Candace Parker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/27/14 3:53 pm    ::: Leader of the Pack - starring Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/leader-of-the-pack-starring-candace-parker

Quote:
"Leader Of The Pack” is a story of Marcie Jones, a MVP female basketball player who wants to be the first woman in the all male league, the NBA, but she must battle societal stigmas as she learns the hard way about the politics of the sport she loves!

PostPosted: 08/27/14 4:16 pm    ::: Re: Leader of the Pack - starring Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

I can't even find words to talk about this.

norwester

PostPosted: 08/27/14 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huh. All I can think is vroom, vroom.

Their statement here isn't wrong, though:
Quote:
We believe that our film can bring more exposure to these gifted and talented women who happen to play in the WNBA (for now). There are some great personalities within the league. (Skylar Diggins, Britney Griner, Maya Moore, Elena Delle Donne, Diana Taurasi, Shoni Shimmell and so many more). It's time for America to show more recognition to the league, instead we have lackluster media coverage and limited support of women’s sports. The result is low attendance and overall weak revenue.

However, I don't quite see how this film accomplishes these lofty goals. Particularly with an non-actor as the star. Maybe she can have a better film career than Shaq! Shocked

PostPosted: 08/27/14 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Huh. All I can think is vroom, vroom.

Their statement here isn't wrong, though:
Quote:
We believe that our film can bring more exposure to these gifted and talented women who happen to play in the WNBA (for now). There are some great personalities within the league. (Skylar Diggins, Britney Griner, Maya Moore, Elena Delle Donne, Diana Taurasi, Shoni Shimmell and so many more). It's time for America to show more recognition to the league, instead we have lackluster media coverage and limited support of women’s sports. The result is low attendance and overall weak revenue.

However, I don't quite see how this film accomplishes these lofty goals. Particularly with an non-actor as the star. Maybe she can have a better film career than Shaq! Shocked

What do you mean non-actor? Parker guest starred on "Love That Girl"!

PostPosted: 08/27/14 4:41 pm    ::: Re: Leader of the Pack - starring Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

She's a WNBA power forward who is about the same height as NBA point guards John Wall, Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose, and Deron Williams.

Does she think she's going to play PG? She has none of the ball skills or speed of these players. The players at every other position (2 guard, SF, PF, C) are much bigger and stronger.

So where exactly would she play in the NBA? I don't really see what "societal stigma" has to do with it.

I think you'd actually be more likely to see a wing in the 6' range but with real quickness and considerable ball handling and passing skills like a Diamond DeShields make it rather than a WNBA big (I'd say Danielle Robinson or Jewell Loyd, but they're probably just too short). But just think how good with the ball you have to be to compensate for being short in order to make it at that height. Can you say Chris Paul?

I don't see how painting some picture that it's "unfair" and only due to bias that she can't play in the NBA helps to promote women's basketball.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/27/14 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The headline "Marcie Jones (Candace Parker) faces her greatest challenge -she wants to play for the NBA" would be enough to put me off giving them money on its own. She'd play in the NBA, not for it.

Not a good sign that it's a) been going for nearly two weeks and got $300 pledged, and b) it took even RebKell's nearly two weeks to notice it existed. Might wanna push harder on the publicity side

PostPosted: 08/27/14 4:55 pm    ::: Re: Leader of the Pack - starring Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

She's a WNBA power forward who is about the same height as NBA point guards John Wall, Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, Derrick Rose, and Deron Williams.

Does she think she's going to play PG? She has none of the ball skills or speed of these players. The players at every other position (2 guard, SF, PF, C) are much bigger and stronger.

So where exactly would she play in the NBA? I don't really see what "societal stigma" has to do with it.

I think you'd actually be more likely to see a wing in the 6' range but with real quickness and considerable ball handling and passing skills like a Diamond DeShields make it rather than a WNBA big (I'd say Danielle Robinson or Jewell Loyd, but they're probably just too short). But just think how good with the ball you have to be to compensate for being short in order to make it at that height. Can you say Chris Paul?

I don't see how painting some picture that it's "unfair" and only due to bias that she can't play in the NBA helps to promote women's basketball.

Yeah, it looks like they're going to play it straight. At least Nancy Lieberman had the good sense to make it a comedy.

PostPosted: 08/27/14 5:04 pm    ::: Re: Leader of the Pack - starring Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Yeah, it looks like they're going to play it straight. At least Nancy Lieberman had the good sense to make it a comedy.

But it's still a (theoretical) movie. I doubt Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes could actually be legendary playground ballers if they just took the necessary time off from acting, either. You film it so she's actually quick enough to play point, or actually big enough to play the post. Not hard.

PostPosted: 08/27/14 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since BG was actually offered to try out for the NBA why would they not use her for this film. Just seems to me that Parker and whoever is making this film are usurping a story that was about BG. After all BG was the only women's bball player that to my knowledge was offered a tryout for the NBA. Just more Parker spotlight if it ever comes to pass.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/27/14 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
Since BG was actually offered to try out for the NBA why would they not use her for this film. Just seems to me that Parker and whoever is making this film are usurping a story that was about BG. After all BG was the only women's bball player that to my knowledge was offered a tryout for the NBA. Just more Parker spotlight if it ever comes to pass.

Ann Meyers actually signed with the Pacers in 1980. She participated in training camp but did not make the roster.

PostPosted: 08/27/14 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw the words leader of the pack and i thought right away this cant be about Candace Parker

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 08/27/14 5:52 pm    ::: Re: Leader of the Pack - starring Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
"Leader Of The Pack” is a story of Marcie Jones, a MVP female basketball player who wants to be the first woman in the all male league, the NBA, but she must battle societal stigmas as she learns the hard way about the politics of the sport she loves!

This is just a scam to trick you into giving them 30k. Rolling Eyes

Do they really think Candace Parker and 'Shoni Shimmell' (not Shimmel, with one 'L') are going to take time out of their busy schedule to act in a movie for ~1k in pay on a 2-bit film school-quality movie? Question

It's not that much different from that scam kickstarter project who offered to make "any type of movie you want about the WNBA" if you paid him ~50k.

But maybe I shouldn't say anything bad about it... Indiegogo was founded by my high school classmate. Idea

I already now can't say anything negative about Uber anymore, because one of my friends just joined it... Exclamation Nothing like calling Uber and getting picked up in a 100k Porsche... and I guess that justifies their prices now Razz

lynxmania

PostPosted: 08/27/14 6:00 pm    ::: Re: Leader of the Pack - starring Candace Parker Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

This is just a scam to trick you into giving them 30k. Rolling Eyes

Do they really think Candace Parker and 'Shoni Shimmell' (not Shimmel, with one 'L') are going to take time out of their busy schedule to act in a movie for ~1k in pay on a 2-bit film school-quality movie? Question

Quote:
Candace ParkerVerified account ‏@Candace_Parker
I'm excited about this opportunity check this out! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/leader-of-the-pack-starring-candace-parker

Looks like Parker knows about it and is serious about it.

PostPosted: 08/27/14 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I saw the words leader of the pack and i thought right away this cant be about Candace Parker

Laughing Yeah, this thread title was irresistible click-bait. I was like "this sounds like a seriously creative piece of journalism given the situation & timing. I've gotta check this out"

PostPosted: 08/27/14 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The 10 Worst ‘Shark Tank’ Pitches of All Time
10. James Lavitola and Brian Pitt present a Fast-and-the-Furious style motorcycle movie. They want $5 million for a 34% stake.

They don’t have a script, actors, or backers. Oh, but they do have a trailer, complete with sounds of motorcycles whooshing around a track and photos of downed rigs. They hand out popcorn for the Sharks' viewing pleasure.

The Sharks bow out on principle.

Motorcycles are dangerous they say, and so is investing in an actorless, scriptless motorcycle movie.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-10-worst-%E2%80%98shark-tank%E2%80%99-pitches-of-all-time-123631986.html

They then tried to raise $2million on kickstarter, then cancelled the project after only raising 11k. Idea

In short, good luck... Laughing

StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/27/14 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Judging from that movie's plot/premise, it seems that this movie was already made before....as "Perfect Profile", starring Nancy Lieberman-Cline! Surprised

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/27/14 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

Ok, that was a good one. I'll give you that. Laughing

PostPosted: 08/27/14 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The concept of this movie doesn't sound believable I actually feel it insults the wnba, why does a woman have compete with men to prove they are talented players. Now if this was about her life (a sport documentary) it would be cool. I actually would love to see a documentary on the league.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 08/27/14 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballgrl wrote:
I don't think Mark Cuban was serious with that offer. He actually was call out for using her name for attention by wnba players like Swin Cash.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/27/14 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The headline "Marcie Jones (Candace Parker) faces her greatest challenge -she wants to play for the NBA" would be enough to put me off giving them money on its own. She'd play in the NBA, not for it.

Not a good sign that it's a) been going for nearly two weeks and got $300 pledged, and b) it took even RebKell's nearly two weeks to notice it existed. Might wanna push harder on the publicity side

In the few hours since I posted it here it's jumped to $700.

PostPosted: 08/28/14 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

I can feel the burn all the way from Connecticut Very Happy

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: