Board Junkies Forums

LA Sparks 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 04/30/15 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
I'm starting to think Parker wants out of LA.How in the hell does Penny Toler not know when Paker is going to return ? How come Parker hasn't made a statement.She's the face of the franchise and a top 3 player in the league.This entire situation is weird.Paker is a cored player just like fowles.Is it possible Paker wants to leave the LA but the core rule is preventing this from happening ?

Isn't Parker returning when she feels full strength? Hard to set a date on that.

If that is the case,why say she's returning this season at all ? Candace might not feel 100% until the season is over.I want to here what Parker has to say,not toler.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/30/15 2:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
I'm starting to think Parker wants out of LA.How in the hell does Penny Toler not know when Paker is going to return ? How come Parker hasn't made a statement.She's the face of the franchise and a top 3 player in the league.This entire situation is weird.Paker is a cored player just like fowles.Is it possible Paker wants to leave the LA but the core rule is preventing this from happening ?

Isn't Parker returning when she feels full strength? Hard to set a date on that.

If that is the case,why say she's returning this season at all ? Candace might not feel 100% until the season is over.I want to here what Parker has to say,not toler.

Those song lyrics have you in an uproar? Surprised

She probably saw what Prince did last year and said... Hey, why aren't I doing that? You feel a conspiracy?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 04/30/15 3:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

She probably saw what Prince did last year and said... Hey, why aren't I doing that? You feel a conspiracy?

Smile Yes...Parker's tweet has me doubting if she's even gonna play in 2015.When I posted the Pondexter tweet,rebkell posters thought I was overreacting.We saw how that turned out. It's not a conspiracy on Parkers end.I just think Toler is not telling the full truth.Either Parker wants to move on from LA or she told Penny that she's sitting out the entire season.

Why would Toler make a comment like this if Parker was just sitting out part of the season ?

Quote:
"Candace told me this is not a financial decision," Toler said. "She told me she's not getting paid at all [by her Russian club]. She feels she would like to play 100 percent healthy and be the best she could be to have an opportunity to win a championship."

This quote makes it seem like Parker told the Sparks that she's sitting out the full season.The sparks will have a new coach with a new system.Leaning Agler's defensive/offensive system will take some time.

My prediction:Parker will sit out the full season.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/30/15 3:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Smile Yes...Parker's tweet has me doubting if she's even gonna play in 2015.When I posted the Pondexter tweet,rebkell posters thought I was overreacting.We saw how that turned out. It's not a conspiracy on Parkers end.I just think Toler is not telling the full truth.Either Parker wants to move on from LA or she told Penny that she's sitting out the entire season.

Why would Toler make a comment like this if Parker was just sitting out part of the season ?

Quote:
"Candace told me this is not a financial decision," Toler said. "She told me she's not getting paid at all [by her Russian club]. She feels she would like to play 100 percent healthy and be the best she could be to have an opportunity to win a championship."

This quote makes it seem like Parker told the Sparks that she's sitting out the full season.The sparks will have a new coach with a new system.Leaning Agler's defensive/offensive system will take some time.

My prediction:Parker will sit out the full season.

Oh, I think I see what you're saying. Toler compared this to Taurasi's situation by saying Parker isn't getting paid to rest, so you think it's going to be a whole season like Taurasi.

I have a feeling Toler was just being clumsy, but maybe you're right.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/30/15 3:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Oh, I think I see what you're saying. Toler compared this to Taurasi's situation by saying Parker isn't getting paid to rest, so you think it's going to be a whole season like Taurasi.

exactly.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/30/15 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Question if anyone knows the true answer.

Is Parker taking a pay cut by not signing until she's ready to play? Or will she receive a full max deal regardless of if she plays 26 games or 5?

They said in an article that when Parker returns that they have to cut someone to make room for her and by her sitting out they could sign Lacy i believe.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/30/15 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, the salary's pro-rated to the portion of the season left when she signs (assuming she does at some point). Although with the extra fining options available to teams and the league she might not have made any more money by signing first and then not showing up. Better for everyone just not to sign until she's ready.

PostPosted: 04/30/15 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
They said in an article that when Parker returns that they have to cut someone to make room for her and by her sitting out they could sign Lacy i believe.

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, the salary's pro-rated to the portion of the season left when she signs (assuming she does at some point). Although with the extra fining options available to teams and the league she might not have made any more money by signing first and then not showing up. Better for everyone just not to sign until she's ready.

Thank you both.

PostPosted: 04/30/15 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sparks sign Annalise Pickrel

PostPosted: 04/30/15 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sparks sign Annalise Pickrel

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4962514

Quote:
Los Angeles Sparks Executive Vice President and general manager Penny Toler today announced the team has signed Annalise Pickrel to a 2015 training camp contract.

"Annalise is a versatile three/four player who I have watched play multiple times, said head coach Brian Agler. "She has a year of professional basketball under her belt as she played this past winter in Australia. Annalise is an excellent three-point shooter who has length and we are looking forward to seeing if she can add depth to our roster."

Pickrel, a 6-3 forward, most recently played in Australia with Dandenong Jayco Rangers for the 2014/15 WNBL season. In her first professional season, she put up solid numbers, averaging 11.1 points (49% FG), 4.9 rebounds and 27.3 minutes through 23 games played. She finished the season as the team's top defender, earning the Defensive Player of the Year award for the Jayco Rangers.

jap

PostPosted: 05/01/15 3:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting SF prospect. 6'3", plays defense, and can shoot treys---what's not to like?

PostPosted: 05/01/15 4:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to lovewomensbasketball twitter Ana Dabovic will join the Sparks after EuroBasket Women 2015.

https://twitter.com/lovewomensbball/status/594066475951988736

So far that is at least 3 players that are known who will miss the beginning of the season. It will be interesting to see what the Sparks do during training camps and to start the season.

And apparently Farhiya Abdi may have had a change of heart and will try to earn a spot on the Sparks this season.

Quote:
Since their original announcement, WNBA draft #2 pick Amanda Zahui has confirmed she will not be playing for Sweden this summer. Farhiya Abdi might also not make it due to WNBA, though there’s a fairly decent chance she will not make it out of the LA Sparks camp, either.

http://lovewomensbasketball.com/2015/05/01/sweden-in-eurobasket-women-this-summer-without-amanda-zahui/

toad455

PostPosted: 05/01/15 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Abdi's chances are slim.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/07/15 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Candace Parker is sitting out at least the first half of the upcoming WNBA season.

This is the first I'm seeing it being reported that Parker will be missing that much time. I thought maybe it was sloppy reporting, but it's coming from Doug Feinberg.

http://www.northjersey.com/mobile/sports/basketball/wnba-power-players-1.1327500

Nerd2

PostPosted: 05/08/15 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:
Candace Parker is sitting out at least the first half of the upcoming WNBA season.

This is the first I'm seeing it being reported that Parker will be missing that much time. I thought maybe it was sloppy reporting, but it's coming from Doug Feinberg.

http://www.northjersey.com/mobile/sports/basketball/wnba-power-players-1.1327500

I read the same thing and had the reaction that Parker would wait and see how well LA plays and would come back only if they looked to be very competitive for a Finals berth. I am not certain that she would be very happy with Brian Agler's insistence on strong defense.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/08/15 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Quote:

Since it was always said to be an undetermined amount time, I always assumed it would be a significant amount of games, so I'm not surprised it's half the season.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/08/15 4:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it went from start of the season to "At Least"the first half,which means it could be longer depending on how you define first half.Last season most teams played 22-23 games before the all-star break.so Parker could miss 17-23 games.I still believe Parker will skip the full season as to not risk injury.I think candace's main concern is her lucrative overseas contract which far exceeds her wnba earnings,and I don't blame her one bit.Parker wants to protect her health so that she maximizes her earnings over the remaining years of her pro playing career.

Of course,this is just me projecting.We won't fully know until the season is over.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/15 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://time.com/3847008/were-a-team/

Quote:

Letters From Mom
“We’re a Team, Right Lai?”
By Candace Parker
May 6, 2015

To Lailaa

For as long as I can remember, I have dreamed of being a mother. Life stood still from the moment I heard your first heartbeats and felt your first kicks. May 13, 2009 really rocked my world.

There’s no manual or pamphlet that comes with raising a child. Especially as a mom/professional basketball player, there were so many things I did that would probably make child experts cringe. But from breast-feeding at half-time of my basketball games to taking your first steps in a hotel room, we made it work. Parenting is the toughest and most rewarding job in the world. Your father and I have done the best we can in maneuvering our way through uncharted territory.

I wish to shower you and spoil you not with things but moments. I want your childhood to be a constant reminder of happiness, precious quality time, and unconditional love. Although you do rear your spoiled head sometimes when I ask what you want to do on a weekend off in L.A., and you shrug and say, “Let’s go to Dubai.”

Lailaa, I am in awe of your maturity at such a young age. You travel from country to country following your parents’ career without a blink of an eye. A 12-hour flight to China, Russia, France, etc.—no problem! You are a seasoned traveler that holds memories and experiences some don’t grasp in a lifetime. Who can say they attended pre-school in Russia, spent Christmas in China, and crawled for the first time in Istanbul?

Throughout my career, I always wanted to share this amazing journey with you. And at times, I really feel like you think you are a part of the team. When we got back to the States after my team won a gold medal at the 2012 London Olympics, for example, everywhere we went—from the grocery store to the nail salon—you told everyone that you won a gold medal.

Then, one day before you had show and tell at preschool, I noticed your backpack was unusually heavy. Lo and behold, in the very bottom, I see something gold and shiny. You looked me dead in my eyes and said with a straight face, “We’re a team, right Mom?”

I could not contain my laughter, and could hardly bring myself to call your dad to tell him what you had done. Needless to say, we picked something else for show and tell, and I didn’t leave my gold medals lying around the house anymore.

Your smile—it’s infectious. Your hugs cause me to melt in your arms and your kisses stop time. When you bat your eyes, I lose my sense and usually give in to your every need (like when you want to sleep in my bed instead of your own). Every day, you wake up with a choice. Choose to be happy.

Continue to be who YOU want to be. As of right now, you love purple, you won’t wear anything but a skirt, and you ask for pedis and manis. You are a girl in every sense of the word. The doctor predicted your height to be 6’ 5,” and although I do feel like you would make a pretty talented power forward on the basketball court, I’ll fully support your dream of becoming a ballerina. Dream big and work hard.

When you were small, I used to be able to control your environment, keep harm away and baby-proof the room against danger. But I cannot baby-proof the world. Be brave, dare to accept and exceed challenges and please don’t let others be the measuring stick. You do the best that YOU can do.

All I wish is that one day, you can truly understand how I feel about you. Because being your mother is my greatest accomplishment, and I will always have your back. We’re a team, right Lai?

jap

PostPosted: 05/09/15 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, we will definitely see plays run for Nerd City I now. If Jantel can improve her consistency, she can become a featured player too.

PostPosted: 05/10/15 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aww at the article by Cp. Laughing at Lailaa almost taking her mom gold medal to show and tell. Funny thing is she wasn't impress by it when Cp won it. She asked what was on her neck and Cp told her and Lailaa was like ok, why is mine small lol.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 05/10/15 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aww at the article by Cp. Laughing at Lailaa almost taking her mom gold medal to show and tell. Funny thing is she wasn't impress by it when Cp won it. She asked what was on her neck and Cp told her and Lailaa was like ok, why is mine small lol.

Nerd2

PostPosted: 05/12/15 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see 19 players on the Sparks roster currently. I know Ndongue is a mistake and Gruda and Parker won't be there. Who would be the 4th player not there on day 1?

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 05/12/15 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
I see 19 players on the Sparks roster currently. I know Ndongue is a mistake and Gruda and Parker won't be there. Who would be the 4th player not there on day 1?

Heck, that roster doesn't even include Tyonna Outland and Annalise Pickrel...

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/12/15 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:

From my understanding here is how the roster breaks up, based on who is listed

Attending Training Camp (added the 2 players p_d_swanson mentioned, so maybe Kristi Toliver won't be around for training camp either)
Elina Babkina
Alana Beard
Crystal Bradford
Cierra Burdick
Nikki Greene
Jennifer Hamson
Andrea Hoover
Temeka Johnson
Jennifer Lacy
Jantel Lavender
Nneka Ogwumike
Tyonna Outland
Erin Phillips
Annalise Pickrel
Kristi Toliver - not sure when she will leave, is playing for Slovak Republic in EuroBasket Women 2015
Marianna Tolo

Not Attending
Farhiya Abdi - training with Sweden for EuroBasket Women 2015 (initially wasn't suppose to play in 2015, but I believe is rethinking sitting out, so she might be added to the attending training camp list)
Ana Dabovic - training with Serbia for EuroBasket Women 2015 (suppose to join the Sparks after EuroBasket Women 2015)
Sandrine Gruda - training with France for EuroBasket Women 2015 (I don't believe will be playing in 2015)
Candace Parker - sitting out part of 2015

Emmeline Ndongue - listed on the roster, but retired from basketball last season

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/14/15 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Farhiya Abdi is currently in LA so she may be at the start of training camp.

Quote:
According to Lasse Johansson the Sparks have agreed to let her go for the tournament, now the decision is in her own hands.

http://lovewomensbasketball.com/2015/05/14/fifteen-players-left-on-swedish-roster-abdi-undecided/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 23 of 37

Jump to: