Board Junkies Forums

LA Sparks 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 10/10/14 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jet Jaguar wrote:
Shades wrote:
But I believe China is only interested in the top tier talent...

Jayne Appel has played in China.

Yeah, I wonder how much money she was earning. Weren't Appel fans going nuts because she was putting up good stats?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GEF34

PostPosted: 10/10/14 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Jet Jaguar wrote:
Shades wrote:
But I believe China is only interested in the top tier talent...

Jayne Appel has played in China.

Yeah, I wonder how much money she was earning. Weren't Appel fans going nuts because she was putting up good stats?

This article was published in June about changing the format of the seasons. With foreigners not allowed to play in the preliminary stage, it may have deterred some foreign players from wanting to play in China. This was a proposal at the time, I have no idea if it has been passed or how the upcoming Chinese season will be.

Quote:
They propose to split the season in three parts – preliminaries, regular season and playoffs. In the preliminaries the twelve teams would be split in two groups – North and South. Top four teams from each group would advance to the regular season part of the season.

http://lovewomensbasketball.com/2014/06/16/changes-in-competition-system-could-limit-use-of-foreigners-in-chinese-wcba-league/

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/10/14 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kristi Toliver will be joining Sparks teammates Candace Parker and Sandrine Gruda this season in Russia on UMMC Ekaterinburg.

http://lovewomensbasketball.com/2014/10/09/ummc-ekaterinburg-signs-guard-kristi-toliver/

Randy

PostPosted: 10/10/14 6:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Randy wrote:
One difference between being a pro volley ball player v. being a pro basketball player is that there doesn't seem to be a domestic volleyball league of the stature of the WNBA. Like basketball, the big money seems to be overseas for women vball players. So maybe that might motivate Hamson to at least try out for the WNBA, even if she goes overseas in volleyball for the big money. Though you have to think she could play pro bball as well.

For some reason my cable channels have a lot of women's college vball games so I'll have to start watching some.

College volleyball gets a lot of tv time, the Pac-12 and Big Ten networks shows games every weekend and sometimes during the week. ESPN also shows games during the week, I think every Wednesday and sometimes on weeks. If you want to watch Jennifer Hamson specifically play, you're best bet, especially now with conference starting, is the BYU network. I think they show every or almost every home game.

As for your first comment, I've mentioned a few times that I wonder if she'll try to play pro volleyball overseas and in the WNBA. Maybe see how it goes, though not sure how it would work out, especially with the teams. Though if she wants to play with USA Volleyball it all, but eliminates that chance of playing in the WNBA because most of the national team tournaments occur during the summer.

I think I do get the BYU network so I'll have to look for those games. She has some good teamates too.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/10/14 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Randy wrote:
One difference between being a pro volley ball player v. being a pro basketball player is that there doesn't seem to be a domestic volleyball league of the stature of the WNBA. Like basketball, the big money seems to be overseas for women vball players. So maybe that might motivate Hamson to at least try out for the WNBA, even if she goes overseas in volleyball for the big money. Though you have to think she could play pro bball as well.

For some reason my cable channels have a lot of women's college vball games so I'll have to start watching some.

College volleyball gets a lot of tv time, the Pac-12 and Big Ten networks shows games every weekend and sometimes during the week. ESPN also shows games during the week, I think every Wednesday and sometimes on weeks. If you want to watch Jennifer Hamson specifically play, you're best bet, especially now with conference starting, is the BYU network. I think they show every or almost every home game.

As for your first comment, I've mentioned a few times that I wonder if she'll try to play pro volleyball overseas and in the WNBA. Maybe see how it goes, though not sure how it would work out, especially with the teams. Though if she wants to play with USA Volleyball it all, but eliminates that chance of playing in the WNBA because most of the national team tournaments occur during the summer.

I think I do get the BYU network so I'll have to look for those games. She has some good teamates too.

Yea, BYU is a very good team, I've watched about 5 of their matches so far and I've been very impress with how they play as a team and the individual talent of each player.

blaase22

PostPosted: 10/10/14 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamson is a good college player but no way she's national team calibre, the US is deep with opposite hitters ( her position) with players like Destinee Hooker, Kelly Murphy and Karsta Lowe.
and she's a little slow for that level IMO and can not play defense or pass at that high level.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/10/14 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Hamson is a good college player but no way she's national team calibre, the US is deep with opposite hitters ( her position) with players like Destinee Hooker, Kelly Murphy and Karsta Lowe.
and she's a little slow for that level IMO and can not play defense or pass at that high level.

I have no idea what her plans are, but she already has a reputation with USA Volleyball, this past summer she was part of the U.S. Collegiate National Team program before joining the BYU volleyball team. Obviously not the same thing as the US National Team, but part of the same program, and she was invited to the program after taking almost a year off to concentrate on basketball. And in 2 years playing only volleyball she can improve.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 10/10/14 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Kristi Toliver will be joining Sparks teammates Candace Parker and Sandrine Gruda this season in Russia on UMMC Ekaterinburg.

http://lovewomensbasketball.com/2014/10/09/ummc-ekaterinburg-signs-guard-kristi-toliver/

And this is why she wanted to play for a different country in the first place. To get the big paycheck Wink

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 10/10/14 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KT and DT on the same team interesting. I like it better when they are trash talking to each other lol.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 10/12/14 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harding will be playing in Turkey this winter. Wiggins will take the off season off.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/12/14 6:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Harding will be playing in Turkey this winter. Wiggins will take the off season off.

Wiggins seems to be focusing on her non-basketball career. Maybe she's seeing the light.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 10/12/14 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Candice Wiggins Interview. Sounds like she signed to LA for next season. Warning to Lynx and Tulsa fans you might not like something' she said in this interview lol
http://youtu.be/RE_vTSZKz7A

adamj95

PostPosted: 10/12/14 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Candice Wiggins Interview. Sounds like she signed to LA for next season. Warning to Lynx and Tulsa fans you might not like something' she said in this interview lol

it's over an hour long haha. care to tell us what it says?

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/12/14 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:

I didn't think she said anything bad, or that I would dislike as a fan of one of those teams. I'm assuming you are referring to the part about her saying she has always been a fan of the Sparks, even when she played against them. To me that would only be an issue if she didn't play hard against them, but that has never been the case, it's not like she didn't want to be the beat the Sparks when they were an opponent.

She said Minnesota was a significant time in her life and she'll always remember her time in Tulsa because of her teammates. She also complimented Minnesota on the way they handled her achilles injury. And she credits Lindsay Whalen and Taj McWilliams for teaching her in her years in Minnesota.

I like the story about her and Candace Parker watching games in Orlando when Taj was a rookie, and how she it inspired her. I'm sure there are a lot of stories like that of players in the WNBA and even people in general that don't get told about watching WNBA games inspiring them to go to college and become successful people and strong women. I think that could be something the WNBA should try to look into and using that as an advertising tool.

I also enjoyed her story about why she wanted to go to Stanford and how she dealt with being a high level two sport athlete in high school.

I thought overall this was a great interview and insight into Candice Wiggins. And it was also pretty cool that the interviewer was a WNBA fan, he had watched since 2001 and knew he stuff about the league.

LosLynxAngeles

PostPosted: 10/12/14 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wiggins not playing in the off season will let her rest and be fresh for the season. She struggled so much with the sparks because she came right out of an injury. As long as she stays healthy she will be a good role player for them.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/12/14 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LosLynxAngeles wrote:
Wiggins not playing in the off season will let her rest and be fresh for the season. She struggled so much with the sparks because she came right out of an injury. As long as she stays healthy she will be a good role player for them.

I agree, that injury really set her back and it's hard enough for a player coming back from an injury to a team they are familiar with, it's even harder to come back to a team you are unfamiliar with. I think a healthy Candice Wiggins can be a great player for the Sparks on the court and a great leader for them as well.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/13/14 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have always loved Wiggy...but then she was a Cardinal first, so my vote doesn't count.

- Amanda Gorman
Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 10/13/14 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

I didn't think she said anything bad, or that I would dislike as a fan of one of those teams. I'm assuming you are referring to the part about her saying she has always been a fan of the Sparks, even when she played against them. To me that would only be an issue if she didn't play hard against them, but that has never been the case, it's not like she didn't want to be the beat the Sparks when they were an opponent.

She said Minnesota was a significant time in her life and she'll always remember her time in Tulsa because of her teammates. She also complimented Minnesota on the way they handled her achilles injury. And she credits Lindsay Whalen and Taj McWilliams for teaching her in her years in Minnesota.

I like the story about her and Candace Parker watching games in Orlando when Taj was a rookie, and how she it inspired her. I'm sure there are a lot of stories like that of players in the WNBA and even people in general that don't get told about watching WNBA games inspiring them to go to college and become successful people and strong women. I think that could be something the WNBA should try to look into and using that as an advertising tool.

I also enjoyed her story about why she wanted to go to Stanford and how she dealt with being a high level two sport athlete in high school.

I thought overall this was a great interview and insight into Candice Wiggins. And it was also pretty cool that the interviewer was a WNBA fan, he had watched since 2001 and knew he stuff about the league.
I was joking since some Lynx fans don't like the Sparks. As for the interviewer he is a Sparks fan. I think it's interesting how many wnba players play volleyball as well. Parker said that Tenn recruit her for volleyball too. Nneka use play it too.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/13/14 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:

I was joking since some Lynx fans don't like the Sparks. As for the interviewer he is a Sparks fan. I think it's interesting how many wnba players play volleyball as well. Parker said that Tenn recruit her for volleyball too. Nneka use play it too.

I didn't get the sense that he was a Sparks fan during the interview, but it sounded like he was a WNBA fan, that's cool that he is a Sparks fan.

And there are quite a few multiple sport athletes in the WNBA. I don't know any of the numbers, but there have been a few players who were multisport athletes in college and many who were mutlisport athletes in high school and could have played other sports at the college level. To me I think those are cool stories that should be told, or at least fun facts about the players, but maybe that's just me. I have no idea how much that interests other people.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/22/14 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“The Hammer” excels on two courts

Quote:
After Hamson’s special season, the Los Angeles Sparks drafted her 23rd overall in the WNBA draft.

“I told the draft before that I was going to play a season of volleyball before I would play in the WNBA, if I was going to do that,” Hamson said about the draft process. “The Sparks knew that when they drafted me. They’ve been really supportive of me playing volleyball this year.”

Hamson has focused on volleyball this year and so far has had an impressive season, leading the Cougars in kills and gaining the nickname Jen “The Hammer” Hamson. After the volleyball season is over, she will have some decisions to make.

“This is the question,” Hamson said about her plans after the volleyball season is over. “I really have no idea. I have a lot of options athletically and otherwise, so I’m just waiting to see what turns out to be right for me.”

http://universe.byu.edu/2014/10/21/the-best-of-both-sports1/

Shades

PostPosted: 10/23/14 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Abdi and Lavender playing on same team in Poland.
http://www.wnba.com/sparks/sparkling_overseas_2014.html

bballchick

PostPosted: 10/29/14 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

is jennifer hamson really good never really seen her play

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/29/14 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballchick wrote:

no.

- Amanda Gorman
GEF34

PostPosted: 10/29/14 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballchick wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "really good". She is not a super star and I don't think she'll ever be one. She could be a really good role player in the WNBA.

I think she has a lot of potential, she obviously has a lot of work to put in to get to the "really good" role player level, but she is not there yet. In her senior year at BYU she should she has the potential, but she wasn't at the level yet, and I would assume her level has gone down since she started focusing on volleyball, so she'll have a lot of work to do to get ready for the WNBA season if she wants to play there. I also think the Sparks coaching staff (assuming she comes to Sparks training camp), have to be realistic with their expectations of her, and start out with giving her a role she is capable of playing, coming in a few minutes, providing a different defensive look, crash the boards, score on put backs. But don't expect her to be a focal point of the offense, or some type of defensive stopper, that would just be setting her up to fail.

bballchick

PostPosted: 10/30/14 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

all i know is that she's tall but i agree with u but first the sparks need to find a coach asap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 9 of 37

Jump to: