Board Junkies Forums

LA Sparks 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEF34

PostPosted: 10/01/14 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
The Sparks will be without the services of Farhiya Abdi for at least part of the 2015 season.

Quote:
“European Championship is important to me”, she is quoted by the Radio.

http://lovewomensbasketball.com/2014/08/12/farhiya-abdi-plans-on-playing-in-eurobasket-women-2015-next-summer/
KT might be gone too next season. I actually like Abdi's potential and would like see her be a spark off the bench for us. Honestly speaking her skillset reminds me of Ace. She showed us she got skills in that game against phx. I know some sparks fans don't want her back but who better than to have on the bench than someone with her skillset.

I would assume Kristi Toliver would start the season with the Sparks, leave for the tournament than come back after, similar to this season, where as Farhiya Abdi would miss the beginning of the season and come back after the tournament if she were to come back.

I like the flashes I have seen from Farhiya, but she she needs to be come more consistent and get stronger to be a player in the WNBA, right now she is just flashes of potential. I think a lot of it has to do with her minutes, but if she doesn't prove she deserves minutes in practice (I assume, I don't know how her practice habits are) than that could be why she doesn't always get consistent minutes in games. It will be interesting to see if she comes back how she comes back, especially coming in to a team and coaching staff she isn't familiar with, or if she decides to take off 2015 completely and come back in 2016 if Sweden doesn't qualify for the Olympics. Of course if Sweden is in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament she will probably play in that, so 2016 may be out as well, or at least part of 2016 is out.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/01/14 12:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
CP posted on IG that today she is getting bone marrow removed, spun, and injected in her knee.

I am wishing for a full recovery for Candace and good luck.
http://instagram.com/p/tk6_jPu3yS/

I wonder if this is in anyway related to the surgery she had a couple of weeks ago.

Either way I wish her the best in her recovery.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/01/14 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
N. Ogwumike to SA for K. McBride

Give it a second before you dismiss it I think it could make both teams much better. Other pieces could be used to balance it out but Nneka and Kayla would be the centerpiece of the trade.

Toliver, McBride, Beard, Parker, Lavender

Robinson, Perkins, Young-Malcolm, N. Ogwumike, Appel

This trade does make sense. Very Happy

This....

PostPosted: 10/01/14 6:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Hamson is all confused.

Saw her playing in a game on TV last night (BYU v. Pepperdine Volleyball). She might have more earning potential in volleyball, but the situation is much like basketball - the big bucks are overseas. Interesting article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/sports/volleyball-players-can-live-well-at-a-distance-while-pursuing-olympic-dreams.html?_r=0

Quote:
Tim Kelly, whose said his agency, Bring It Promotions, represented more than 200 athletes, added that about 25 American women and 10 men were making more than six figures. A handful can command more.

“The average sports fan would be blown away if they found out that anyone was making a million dollars net playing volleyball,” Kelly said. “That continues to shock people.”

If I am the Sparks - I would be pulling out all the stops to get her to at least show up for training camp.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/01/14 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamson will chose the sport that will pay her the most money for her entire career. A good sports agency can advise her on the sport that will maximize her total income.

PostPosted: 10/01/14 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Hamson will chose the sport that will pay her the most money for her entire career. A good sports agency can advise her on the sport that will maximize her total income.

Which is volleyball..

PostPosted: 10/01/14 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
The Sparks will be without the services of Farhiya Abdi for at least part of the 2015 season.

Quote:

http://lovewomensbasketball.com/2014/08/12/farhiya-abdi-plans-on-playing-in-eurobasket-women-2015-next-summer/
KT might be gone too next season. I actually like Abdi's potential and would like see her be a spark off the bench for us. Honestly speaking her skillset reminds me of Ace. She showed us she got skills in that game against phx. I know some sparks fans don't want her back but who better than to have on the bench than someone with her skillset.

I would assume Kristi Toliver would start the season with the Sparks, leave for the tournament than come back after, similar to this season, where as Farhiya Abdi would miss the beginning of the season and come back after the tournament if she were to come back.

I like the flashes I have seen from Farhiya, but she she needs to be come more consistent and get stronger to be a player in the WNBA, right now she is just flashes of potential. I think a lot of it has to do with her minutes, but if she doesn't prove she deserves minutes in practice (I assume, I don't know how her practice habits are) than that could be why she doesn't always get consistent minutes in games. It will be interesting to see if she comes back how she comes back, especially coming in to a team and coaching staff she isn't familiar with, or if she decides to take off 2015 completely and come back in 2016 if Sweden doesn't qualify for the Olympics. Of course if Sweden is in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament she will probably play in that, so 2016 may be out as well, or at least part of 2016 is out.
Abdi did get stronger before this past season but need be more stronger to play consistent mins. She had problems on defense because of her strength but to her credit she was out there trying and knew where to be. You can tell that she has been learning from AB because of a few things I saw she did right on defense.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/01/14 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Which is volleyball..

I think if the Olympics is a goal of hers, than she will choose volleyball, at least out of college. She already is part of the USA Volleyball program, so it would already be an easier route than trying to get into the USA Basketball program. I wonder if she would consider trying to do both, though it would be much more difficult of a transition than it is during college. Plus if she wants to continue with USA Volleyball, most of USA Volleyball and international events are during the summer, which would not work with the WNBA schedule. So at least to start it may have more to do with whether or not she wants to continue with USA volleyball than which will provide the most money. Maybe she could have a career similar to Natalie Williams, play with USA volleyball for a few years, then switch over to basketball. I don't know if Natalie Williams ever played pro volleyball overseas, but she was part of the USA National team after she graduated from UCLA, she was one of the final cuts from the 1996 Olympic team, and she played in a small pro league in the USA called the National Volleyball Association, this league only lasted a few years. After Natalie was cut for the Olympic team she switched over to basketball.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/01/14 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Libra_Girl wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Quote:

Abdi did get stronger before this past season but need be more stronger to play consistent mins. She had problems on defense because of her strength but to her credit she was out there trying and knew where to be. You can tell that she has been learning from AB because of a few things I saw she did right on defense.

She definitely did step up her game and self from her rookie season to last season, as you mention she got stronger, she was learning from players around her, etc., but she needs to continue stepping up and working on herself and her game to be a consistent player in the WNBA, she isn't there yet, but I think she has the capabilities to be one.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/02/14 5:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Which is volleyball..

Really, it depends on which one she's better at. A basketball star will make more than someone who barely makes a volleyball roster and vice versa.

PostPosted: 10/02/14 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In basketball she probably still would fall into the "project" category, but might be pretty good eventually. I just don't know enough about volleyball to even guess, but she looked pretty awesome in the game I saw. I would say that volleyball looks like a pretty good way to practice blocking shots.....

If I were her, I would re-enter the draft. She could probably go pretty high this year.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/02/14 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
In basketball she probably still would fall into the "project" category, but might be pretty good eventually. I just don't know enough about volleyball to even guess, but she looked pretty awesome in the game I saw. I would say that volleyball looks like a pretty good way to practice blocking shots.....

If I were her, I would re-enter the draft. She could probably go pretty high this year.

Why should she bother to reenter the draft unless she wants to play in Seattle, Tulsa, or Connecticut? The lottery money salary? If she really would like to play in LA then I know LA can work out some deal after playing one year that she can make a nice check without playing the lottery game.

PostPosted: 10/02/14 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Over on the college board, there's a thread that has morphed into a discussion about the declining participation in girls' basketball as opposed to volleyball and soccer -- and Jennifer Hamson is a perfect example.

If a similar athlete were male, the odds of him playing basketball instead of volleyball would be about 95%, if not higher. On the female side, more and more girls choose volleyball, for a variety reasons.

Had Hamson only played basketball, or had basketball as her primary sport from age 10, I'm sure she would be a guaranteed star at the WNBA and Olympic levels -- but given her situation, I would be surprised if she didn't just stick with volleyball, which she apparently is better at already, has a lower chance of injury and can make at least as much money, if not more.

PostPosted: 10/02/14 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Had Hamson only played basketball, or had basketball as her primary sport from age 10, I'm sure she would be a guaranteed star at the WNBA and Olympic levels -- but given her situation, I would be surprised if she didn't just stick with volleyball, which she apparently is better at already, has a lower chance of injury and can make at least as much money, if not more.

That is quite the claim to make. What could it possibly be based on?

ClayK

PostPosted: 10/02/14 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

That is quite the claim to make. What could it possibly be based on?

You're right. My bad ... but my assumption was that if she's this good now (and I haven't seen her so I don't know) that she would have been much better had she focused on basketball all along than focusing on volleyball. If she's a potential WNBA draft pick without playing much basketball, it would seem logical that she would have been even higher up the list if she'd played more.

From what people say, she's a tall, coordinated, long athlete who has basketball skills -- and there aren't that many of those roaming around.

PostPosted: 10/05/14 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Quote:

Farhiya needs to get comfortable enough to play faster and more decisively. She has tended to look confused about her defensive assignments on the floor. I was hoping she would be able to work her way into more playing time this past season. However, the Sparks were so dysfunctional for much of the season the coaches clearly felt they didn't have time to experiment with Farhiya in the lineup.

PostPosted: 10/08/14 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Staples Center Touts Green-Minded Renovations

Quote:
The Staples Center in Los Angeles is poised to unveil $7.5 million in renovations to the arena's lighting systems, along with improvements to retractable seating and the team store.

According to a press release, AEG spent six-figures on a new LED sports lighting system by Solotech and manufactured by Lidlum. The LED system, a first for an NBA or NHL arena in the United States, is expected to save Staples Center approximately $280,000 annually in energy costs.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6274304/staples-center-renovations-led-lighting

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 10/08/14 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what I've seen of Hamson at the college level, she has a long way to go to become a W player. I really doubt she could make a team - maybe as a 12th player project, but not to see any real time on the floor. Therefore my assumption (without having seen her play volleyball) is that volleyball is the way for her to go.

- Amanda Gorman
Randy

PostPosted: 10/09/14 6:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One difference between being a pro volley ball player v. being a pro basketball player is that there doesn't seem to be a domestic volleyball league of the stature of the WNBA. Like basketball, the big money seems to be overseas for women vball players. So maybe that might motivate Hamson to at least try out for the WNBA, even if she goes overseas in volleyball for the big money. Though you have to think she could play pro bball as well.

For some reason my cable channels have a lot of women's college vball games so I'll have to start watching some.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 10/09/14 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hamson, a Chicago Sky 3rd round pic?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 10/09/14 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
Hamson, a Chicago Sky 3rd round pic?

She was selected by LA in the 2014 Draft. She could re-enter though.

PostPosted: 10/09/14 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nneka will be playing in Russia this offseason for Dynamo Kursk.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/10/14 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
One difference between being a pro volley ball player v. being a pro basketball player is that there doesn't seem to be a domestic volleyball league of the stature of the WNBA. Like basketball, the big money seems to be overseas for women vball players. So maybe that might motivate Hamson to at least try out for the WNBA, even if she goes overseas in volleyball for the big money. Though you have to think she could play pro bball as well.

For some reason my cable channels have a lot of women's college vball games so I'll have to start watching some.

College volleyball gets a lot of tv time, the Pac-12 and Big Ten networks shows games every weekend and sometimes during the week. ESPN also shows games during the week, I think every Wednesday and sometimes on weeks. If you want to watch Jennifer Hamson specifically play, you're best bet, especially now with conference starting, is the BYU network. I think they show every or almost every home game.

As for your first comment, I've mentioned a few times that I wonder if she'll try to play pro volleyball overseas and in the WNBA. Maybe see how it goes, though not sure how it would work out, especially with the teams. Though if she wants to play with USA Volleyball it all, but eliminates that chance of playing in the WNBA because most of the national team tournaments occur during the summer.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/10/14 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
Nneka will be playing in Russia this offseason for Dynamo Kursk.

Didn't she say she was interested in checking out China because of the big money combined with a short season? But I believe China is only interested in the top tier talent.... Moore, Griner, Cambage. I believe Jackson was playing there before she went lame.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Jet Jaguar

PostPosted: 10/10/14 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
But I believe China is only interested in the top tier talent...

Jayne Appel has played in China.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 8 of 37

Jump to: