Tulsa Shock 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 09/19/14 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
This is Cambage dated 9/10/14

Quote:
"I will be at the world championships of course and then back to WNBL then WNBA next year," she said.

"During the summer (American winter) next year I am not sure if I will go back to Europe or China. And then it will be back home to focus on the lead up to the Olympics."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-05/schedule-fills-for-cambage-two-years-out-from-rio/5650164

I think she's been saying she'd be back in the WNBA next summer for a while now. But does sound like 2016 will be devoted to the Olympics. Of course, it all may be moot, depending on her apparent achiles injury today.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 09/19/14 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still no word on the injury.

zune69

PostPosted: 09/19/14 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can Cambage even take the physicality of a full WNBA season ? I'm starting to have my doubts.This is ridiculous.There is already a great chance of her skipping the 2016 season.Now with the possibility of her missing 2015 with an Achilles injury,tulsa will be without one of the top 5 centers in the league.I want Courtney to get playing time,but not like this.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/19/14 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

larmarch5 wrote:
Still no word on the injury.

Probably going to be at least a few days, maybe over the weekend before she can get an MRI or whatever they do to diagnose this sort of thing.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/19/14 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Can Cambage even take the physicality of a full WNBA season ? I'm starting to have my doubts.This is ridiculous.There is already a great chance of her skipping the 2016 season.Now with the possibility of her missing 2015 with an Achilles injury,tulsa will be without one of the top 5 centers in the league.I want Courtney to get playing time,but not like this.

Perhaps of equal importance, if her Achilles is indeed torn, when taken together with her plan to skip 2016, her value in a trade has now fallen to approximately zero.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/19/14 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those who say hang on to Liz for dear life, not matter what because she has the potential to be great, well what good is her potential if its never gets a chance to be brought to fruition?
Shades

PostPosted: 09/19/14 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cambage is barely 23. This injury might force her to lose some weight to ease pressure off her joints...making her more mobile. Look on the bright side.

If TUL fans want to send her to the scrap heap at her lowest value, please send her MIN's way at a bargain. Jarry & #11 sound good?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan

PostPosted: 09/19/14 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
There is already a great chance of her skipping the 2016 season.

She says she will miss the pre-Olympics part, but as someone pointed out before, if she skips the post-part again like in 2012, it just lengthens the time till she can become a free agent.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/20/14 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Cambage is barely 23. This injury might force her to lose some weight to ease pressure off her joints...making her more mobile. Look on the bright side.

If TUL fans want to send her to the scrap heap at her lowest value, please send her MIN's way at a bargain. Jarry & #11 sound good?

"Hope springs eternal." Right?

Well if her first 3 years are any indication, Maya and the rest of the crew will have a lot of filling in and waiting to do. And if that happens don't come crying to us that we sold you a bill of goods. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Michelle89

PostPosted: 09/22/14 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lets hope she gets healthy and hopefully in the shape like she was now. She looks great in this video maybe the best shape that she has been in Shocked Smile

http://instagram.com/p/tAxbPupvQZ/

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
kool-aide

PostPosted: 09/22/14 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Lets hope she gets healthy and hopefully in the shape like she was now. She looks great in this video maybe the best shape that she has been in Shocked Smile

http://instagram.com/p/tAxbPupvQZ/

I feel terrible for her. Major injuries just suck. Best of luck to her in recovery.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/22/14 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Jackson backs Liz Cambage to bounce back for Australian Opals after heartbreaking world championship injury

Quote:
Opals star Cambage will miss up to a year after the 203-centimetre centre ruptured her Achilles tendon in a warm-up match against the United States last week.

Quote:
Jackson spoke to Cambage after her injury and declared the duo would use their extended stint on the sideline as extra motivation to lift the Opals to Olympic Games glory in Rio in 2016.

"Rio is so far away, but the fire will definitely be there for all of us," Jackson said.

"Liz's injury is particularly cruel with the way it happened, the phenomenal amount of preparation she put in, and she was playing well. I'll do everything I can to support her here."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/lauren-jackson-backs-liz-cambage-to-bounce-back-for-australian-opals-after-heartbreaking-world-championship-injury-20140921-10jxug.html

hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/22/14 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Lauren Jackson backs Liz Cambage to bounce back for Australian Opals after heartbreaking world championship injury

Quote:
Opals star Cambage will miss up to a year after the 203-centimetre centre ruptured her Achilles tendon in a warm-up match against the United States last week.

Quote:
Jackson spoke to Cambage after her injury and declared the duo would use their extended stint on the sideline as extra motivation to lift the Opals to Olympic Games glory in Rio in 2016.

"Rio is so far away, but the fire will definitely be there for all of us," Jackson said.

"Liz's injury is particularly cruel with the way it happened, the phenomenal amount of preparation she put in, and she was playing well. I'll do everything I can to support her here."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/lauren-jackson-backs-liz-cambage-to-bounce-back-for-australian-opals-after-heartbreaking-world-championship-injury-20140921-10jxug.html

Sooooo... we've went from 6 months to a year now?
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 09/22/14 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

edit-posted in wrong thread
Confused

Last edited by ChicagoAnnie on 09/22/14 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/22/14 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

a year is usually more realistic for a ruptured achilles.

- Amanda Gorman
hyperetic

PostPosted: 09/22/14 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am certain someone has explained it before but I guess I didn't pay attention. How does Cambage's contract work since she has missed so much time?
GEF34

PostPosted: 09/24/14 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
hyperetic wrote:
Shades wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

a year is usually more realistic for a ruptured achilles.

That's what I was thinking, when I read 6 months initially, I thought that was incredibly optimistic for an achilles tear.

It's unfortunate about her injury, I wish her the best in her recovery and hope she is able to reach the level she was at prior to her injury. I know coming back from an achilles tear can be very, difficult to come back from.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/24/14 2:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
I am certain someone has explained it before but I guess I didn't pay attention. How does Cambage's contract work since she has missed so much time?

If I remember correctly it was posted a couple of months ago that Liz Cambage is no longer under contract, she is now a reserved player because she hasn't played the required amount of years to be a restricted free agent, so all Tulsa has to do is send her a qualifying offer and they are the only team that can negotiate with her.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/28/14 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hooper ready for another career — in Turkey

Quote:
“I think she is ready for this,” Jodene said. “She did a lot of growing up in Tulsa this year. At Nebraska, she was always with teammates. Her days were structured with classes, practices, lifting, studying. At Tulsa, she had to learn how to do workouts alone. Cook for herself, live on her own.”

Hooper earned between $35,000 and $50,000 in the WNBA and will earn twice as much playing for six months in Turkey, according to her agent, Jeanne McNulty King.

“I had a couple of choices, but I wanted to do something on my own, so I turned down a team in Australia, where my college roommate and best friend, Lindsey Moore, is playing, and went with Turkey,” Hooper said. “I don’t know the language and don’t know a whole lot about it other than my aunt and uncle said it is safe and beautiful.”

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/article_8e53a8aa-ad33-595e-b7b7-92c49bc3968b.html

Looks like Hooper went from somebody with predraft nervs about joining the WNBA and unsure about overseas play to somebody confident about all of it.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/28/14 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Hooper ready for another career — in Turkey

Quote:
“I think she is ready for this,” Jodene said. “She did a lot of growing up in Tulsa this year. At Nebraska, she was always with teammates. Her days were structured with classes, practices, lifting, studying. At Tulsa, she had to learn how to do workouts alone. Cook for herself, live on her own.”

Hooper earned between $35,000 and $50,000 in the WNBA and will earn twice as much playing for six months in Turkey, according to her agent, Jeanne McNulty King.

“I had a couple of choices, but I wanted to do something on my own, so I turned down a team in Australia, where my college roommate and best friend, Lindsey Moore, is playing, and went with Turkey,” Hooper said. “I don’t know the language and don’t know a whole lot about it other than my aunt and uncle said it is safe and beautiful.”

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/article_8e53a8aa-ad33-595e-b7b7-92c49bc3968b.html

Looks like Hooper went from somebody with predraft nervs about joining the WNBA and unsure about overseas play to somebody confident about all of it.

That's a great story. I enjoy reading stories like that, that show the other side of players, not just on the court stuff, but the things they go through when preparing to go overseas, and showing the life of a pro basketball player.

I wish her the best of luck, she is a great player and I hope she does great in Turkey.

I also think her reasoning for picking Turkey over Australia, was interesting, but a very cool decision to make for herself.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/28/14 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
she is a great player

I take it you wouldn't do a #2 and Hooper for #1 from the Tulsa perspective.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/28/14 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
she is a great player

I take it you wouldn't do a #2 and Hooper for #1 from the Tulsa perspective.

Nope, I think Jordan Hooper is part of the future of Tulsa.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/28/14 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:

I'll try, fully expecting to be corrected if I am wrong. I think she still has 2 years left on her rookie deal. She did show up for two different seasons (2011 and 2013) and did not show up for two (2012 and 2014.) I believe Richyyy posted some time ago that had she showed up after London in 2012 she could have knocked another year off, but didn't.

I've waffled on this before and I'll probably do it again, but I think its time for Tulsa to make the best deal they can. Seems there's a good chance that the earliest she comes back, if ever, is 2017.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/28/14 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
hyperetic wrote:

I'll try, fully expecting to be corrected if I am wrong. I think she still has 2 years left on her rookie deal. She did show up for two different seasons (2011 and 2013) and did not show up for two (2012 and 2014.) I believe Richyyy posted some time ago that had she showed up after London in 2012 she could have knocked another year off, but didn't.

I've waffled on this before and I'll probably do it again, but I think its time for Tulsa to make the best deal they can. Seems there's a good chance that the earliest she comes back, if ever, is 2017.

This is what Richyyy wrote in the "Exhibition Game USA vs. Australia Live Box score (9/19)" this is where I got the information I posted above from.

Richyyy wrote:

Her rookie scale contract has run its four years, but all they have to do is make her a qualifying offer to make her 'Reserved'. So she won't be able to talk to or sign with anyone else.

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=81952&start=150

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/28/14 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Randy's right that I have posted that in the past, but GEF34's right about what I've said most recently (and what's accurate). She's technically out of contract, but will be reserved (unless Tulsa somehow screw up and fail to make the qualifying offer).

If she'd shown up, it would've added an extra 'year of experience', and hence brought her closer to the years required for the different kinds of free agency. She only has two years of that, hence why she's reserved rather than restricted. But the actual contract keeps running even without her showing up, and has therefore exhausted all four years.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 3 of 36

Jump to: