RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Random W Mention
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/11/14 9:29 am    ::: Random W Mention Reply Reply with quote

This morning on GMA they did a story on the teenage female pitcher Mo'Ne Davis who just pitched her team into the little league world series. In the interview she revealed her first love was basketball & she hoped to be a WNBA star one day. Sorry hadn't found the video online yet.
mb1

PostPosted: 08/11/14 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Girl Pitcher 13 Year Old Mo'Ne Davis Pitches Shut Out, leads team to Little League World Series"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHvVTIxr4K4

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 08/11/14 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I live a couple miles out of Newark Delaware. She beat a very good Newark Little League team. Newark was hoping to be in the World Series again for the second year in a row.

Congratulations to her, she is already breaking down barriers that once was only for boys. She will be an outstanding person when she gets older.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/11/14 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, mb1. Smile
Shades

PostPosted: 08/11/14 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 08/11/14 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We should have a random WNBA mention thread. No?

I've got one. I have to research it a little but it's kind of impressive and I don't think anyone has posted it. But what would be people's thoughts on keeping one thread going for random WNBA mentions?

PostPosted: 08/11/14 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

I've got one. I have to research it a little but it's kind of impressive and I don't think anyone has posted it. But what would be people's thoughts on keeping one thread going for random WNBA mentions?

FWIW, Keith Olbermann's show on ESPN2 last Thursday mentioned the Washington Mystics only in a passing reference when he was talking about the Washington Redskins' preseason NFL game. Keith is one such commentator who has said that the "Redskins" name is offensive and he will no longer refer to the team by its nickname. Instead, he just refers them as "Washington's NFL franchise" or "the NFL team in Washington", or just simply "Washington".

It was on that last Thursday night, that Keith did a recap of that game, and he intentionally referred to the team by using the names of Washington's other sports team nicknames, including the Mystics. Other times, he called them as the Washington Senators (their old MLB team), then the Washington Capitols (their NHL team), and other nicknames.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/11/14 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

I'm okay with it. It'll get all the mentions in one convenient place.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/11/14 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
"Girl Pitcher 13 Year Old Mo'Ne Davis Pitches Shut Out, leads team to Little League World Series"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHvVTIxr4K4

They cut off some of it. because she mentioned the WNBA specifically.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/11/14 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read somewhere that she wants to play point at UCONN eventually.
tfan

PostPosted: 08/13/14 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the NBA-TV show on after the Dream/Mercury game, Charles Barkley was talking about the Spurs and how impressed he was that they came back from a bitter loss in 2013 and won in 2014 and then he started listing things for this year and said "Now they got Becky Hammon which shows that they are the best organization in the league".

hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/13/14 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From a Daily Beast article about Chris Bosh:

Quote:
Another change came for the San Antonio Spurs after the team hired the leagues first full-time female assistant coach, Becky Hammon. A former Olympic athlete and celebrated basketball player, Hammons hire marked a huge milestone for the (literally) male-dominated league. It was an unexpected addition to the NBAand for Bosh.

I really didnt see that one coming, he said of the coach known for her high basketball IQ. Shes one of the staples of womens basketball. To have the Spurs be really open-minded and hire her because she is a good basketball mind, it just shows you how the game is growing.

While Hammon has pushed boundaries within the profession, other WNBA players havent had the same luck, especially when it comes to building their own brands off the court like their male counterparts. Tennis player Serena Williams and professional skier Lindsay Vonn have proven the possibility, yet women in the WNBA still struggle with life off the court.

Tulsa Shocks Skylar Diggins is one of the few players who has been able to break through the mold of women who holler, scream, sweat, and arent posing when they play, as the leagues official stylist, Rachel Johnson, told Racked. Diggins has been featured in high-end fashion publications and recently became the first female athlete to sign with Roc Nation, the entertainment company founded by Jay-Z that represents the likes of Rihanna, Rita Ora, and Kylie Mingoue.

Bosh thinks it comes down to popularity. I think the WNBA will continue to strengthen and become more and more popular the longer its around, he said of the league founded in 1996. The platform that they have will continue to grow. When it does, they will be able to implement more of their ideas and be taken more seriously for the brands they wish to build.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/13/miami-s-chris-bosh-goes-high-fashion.html
hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/18/14 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do y'all think Mo'Ne Davis's endorsement of the WNBA, being that she is so high profile right now, will have an effect on ground roots interest in women's basketball?
UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 08/20/14 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just want to mention that this 13 year old girl is in the little league World Series and can throw the ball 70 mph.

In this area she will be on tv tonight because she is pitching tonight. If they win they will go into the championship game.

Her basketball coach says she is a better basketball player. I think we are going to be hearing from this girl. Good Luck to her and congratulations for her success. Her name is Mo'ne Davis, remember that name.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2729879/Female-baseball-phenom-Mo-ne-Davis-13-Little-Leaguer-score-Sports-Illustrated-cover.html

rustedsyringe

PostPosted: 08/20/14 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
I just want to mention that this 13 year old girl is in the little league World Series and can throw the ball 70 mph.

In this area she will be on tv tonight because she is pitching tonight. If they win they will go into the championship game.

Her basketball coach says she is a better basketball player. I think we are going to be hearing from this girl. Good Luck to her and congratulations for her success. Her name is Mo'ne Davis, remember that name.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2729879/Female-baseball-phenom-Mo-ne-Davis-13-Little-Leaguer-score-Sports-Illustrated-cover.html

ICYMI, this thread began with hyperetic's post about Davis...

pilight

PostPosted: 08/29/14 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.gazettenet.com/home/13337677-95/university-of-miami-quietly-helping-athletes-who-leave-early-with-lifetime-scholarships

Quote:
Blues standout playing career at Miami ended in 1998, the year she joined the WNBA. After playing pro ball for about a decade, she returned to Miami, hoping to coach.

Small problem: She didnt have her degree.

PostPosted: 08/30/14 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.redbull.com/en/stories/1331675240605/the-history-of-streetball-and-red-bull-king-of-the-rock

Quote:
Our 10 World Finalists from nine different countries do not only look up to male NBA idols but moreover get their inspiration from WNBA stars, like Skylar Diggins, Diana Tarausi and Maya Moore.

PostPosted: 09/08/14 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/news-culture-articles/who-should-buy-atlanta-hawks/

Quote:
Mary Brock and Kelly Loeffler: Four years owning Atlantas WNBA team, two trips to the league finals. Hawks fans could only Dream of that kind of success.

PostPosted: 09/08/14 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/09/08/united-tribes-international-powwow-captures-its-theme-we-are-all-related-156798

Quote:
Distinguished visitors to the event included Olympic Gold Medalist Billy Mills (Oglala Lakota); former vice presidential candidate on the Green Party ticket, Winona LaDuke (White Earth Anishinaabe); and WNBA All-Star MVP Shoni Schimmel (Umatilla Confederated Tribes) of the Atlanta Dream.

PostPosted: 09/08/14 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/09/08/united-tribes-international-powwow-captures-its-theme-we-are-all-related-156798

Quote:
Distinguished visitors to the event included Olympic Gold Medalist Billy Mills (Oglala Lakota); former vice presidential candidate on the Green Party ticket, Winona LaDuke (White Earth Anishinaabe); and WNBA All-Star MVP Shoni Schimmel (Umatilla Confederated Tribes) of the Atlanta Dream.

http://www.thesunnews.net/news/612-Schimmels_tie_sport_success_with_cultural_pride.html

Seems like Shoni will be touring more tribes and tribal events during the off season instead of playing overseas.

PhoenixxLily
I Voted

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 09/08/14 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

http://www.thesunnews.net/news/612-Schimmels_tie_sport_success_with_cultural_pride.html

Seems like Shoni will be touring more tribes and tribal events during the off season instead of playing overseas.

not necessarily a bad thing as long as she puts in the off season work on her game. this method worked for Skylar (although a course of action for one or more players may not work for others... everyone's different) and she had the season this year that many (not me) thought she would last year. and there's alot to be said about personal brand building and positive representation of the league. anything to get more butts in Atlanta's seats!

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/08/14 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a bad thing at all IMO. Smart move. She knows where her support base is, and it's great that she gets to give to all those communities and spread the camaraderie.
Maybe her basketball skills don't develop as much as they might if she took a different path, but it's not like her spot in the league is in any jeopardy, so big picture wise I'm glad she is choosing this route.

As a rookie coming off a college season, the crazy schedule of a WNBA season must be taxing. I wish it was easier for more players to take the winter off.

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 09/08/14 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Not a bad thing at all IMO. Smart move. She knows where her support base is, and it's great that she gets to give to all those communities and spread the camaraderie.
Maybe her basketball skills don't develop as much as they might if she took a different path, but it's not like her spot in the league is in any jeopardy, so big picture wise I'm glad she is choosing this route.

As a rookie coming off a college season, the crazy schedule of a WNBA season must be taxing. I wish it was easier for more players to take the winter off.

well that new part of the CBA with financial incentives to stay stateside might help. i feel like it will encourage more than one player to skip forcing themselves through an international season for financial reasons when they might be better off resting, rehabbing and the like. although admittedly i think the bonus is a little low especially considering it has to be shared by all players on the team who decide to stay home. home being a relative term... i wonder how this will be applied to international players on W teams who also decide not to play in another league during the W's off season. do they have to spend their off season time literally in the states or just in their own country of origin and not playing. i don't remember this being discussed before

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/09/14 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only issue I would have is that Schimmel has a lot to work defensively, and she's probably not going to get that touring the country. Then again, a European team wouldn't be paying her for defense either ...

If Shoni can just become below average on defense, it will be great for women's basketball because that would probably be enough to keep her on the court 30 minutes a game.

PostPosted: 09/09/14 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The only issue I would have is that Schimmel has a lot to work defensively, and she's probably not going to get that touring the country. Then again, a European team wouldn't be paying her for defense either ...

If Shoni can just become below average on defense, it will be great for women's basketball because that would probably be enough to keep her on the court 30 minutes a game.

????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: