RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

usa today: the greatest women's basketball player ever?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 07/18/14 7:32 am    ::: usa today: the greatest women's basketball player ever? Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Although no formal poll was conducted, the list was assembled with the help of Krauskopf, TV analyst Debbie Antonelli and ESPN.com columnist Mechelle Voepel.

usa today

PostPosted: 07/18/14 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good List and those are the players you make a case for right now.

Can you include Maya Moore and Griner in the discussion right now...yes but that certainly has too soon to tell written all over them.

Hard pressed to see anyone missing, some National Team people may wanna see Edwards discussed but she was more a leader than a best player and we won't get into the ABL controversy that left her a holdout until the tail end of her career.

Good Job USA Today and these are the articles that spark interest. Keep them up.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Teresa Edwards? Criminal!!

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/18/14 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
No Teresa Edwards? Criminal!!

That kind of pisses me off, as well as this comment about Swoopes.

Quote:
Case against: She wasn't the best player on Comets' championship teams. (That was Cooper.)

That shit is debatable for the '99 season and incorrect for the '00 season.

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/18/14 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Leslie

Career recap: The 6-5 Leslie was able to dunk a basketball by her sophomore year of high school and once scored 101 points in game. At USC, she was college Player of the Year in 1994.

Besides her four Olympic gold medals, she led the Sparks to WNBA championships in 2001 and 2002. She was MVP three times (2001, 2004, 2006) and is the league's all-time leader in rebounds. She was a first-team all-league selection a record eight times.

Case for: At her peak, she was the sport's most dominant player.

Case against: She's not the all-around player that others are.

Last edited by Genero36 on 07/18/14 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Genero36

PostPosted: 07/18/14 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sheryl Swoopes

Career recap: Swoopes is sometimes referred to as the closest to Michael Jordan that the women's game has produced. She was the first female player to have a Nike shoe named after her: "Air Swoopes."

She was Jordan-esque in her final college game, scoring 47 points to lead Texas Tech over Ohio State in the 1993 NCAA championship game — a record for men or women in the title game. She averaged 35.4 points a game in the tournament and was college Player of the Year.

Swoopes became the WNBA's first three-time MVP (2000, 2002, 2005) and first three-time Defensive Player of the Year. She won four league titles as a member of the Comets.

Case for: She has every important individual and team achievement in college, pro and international play.

Case against: She wasn't the best player on Comets' championship teams. (That was Cooper.)

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/18/14 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diana Taurasi

Career recap: Taurasi, daughter of an Italian father and Argentinian mother, is on track to become the WNBA's all-time leading scorer by the end of 2015 or early in 2016. She is having one of her best seasons in 2014 and could add a second MVP award to the one she won in 2009.

Taurasi led UConn to three NCAA championships and a four-year record of 139-8. She was twice the college Player of the Year.

She led the Mercury to WNBA titles in 2007 and 2009. Taurasi has won a record five league scoring titles and equaled Leslie's record of eight first-team all-league designations. She is third in league history in 3-pointers and sixth in assists.

If she should pick any player in women's basketball history to build a franchise around, Voepel said in an e-mail, "it may very well be Taurasi."

Case for: Besides being a scorer, she has been a winner.

Case against: Her scoring benefited from Mercury's up-tempo system.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 07/18/14 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice Info genero

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/18/14 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Jackson

Career recap: The 6-5 Australian is almost certainly the most well-rounded post player of all time. She is as adept from the 3-point line as she is near the basket.

Jackson has been MVP of the WNBA three times (2003, 2007, '200) and led Seattle to league championships in 2004 and 2010. She is fourth in league history in points per game (18.9).

Case for: Her inside/outside versatility redefined what it meant to be a female post player.

Case against: Injuries have limited her. She has played 22 games over the past four WNBA seasons.

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/18/14 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
Nice Info genero

I'm just copying and pasting from the article sambista posted to make it easier for those who don't wish to click the link. Cool

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/18/14 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cheryl Miller

Career recap: The sister of the NBA great Reggie Miller was labeled by Sports Illustrated as the best player in college basketball, male or female. She was a four-time All-American in both high school — she once scored 105 points in a game — and college. Her teams went 132-4 in high school and 112-20 in college. Miller helped USC to NCAA championships in 1983 and 1984. She was a three-time college Player of the Year and had a career scoring average of 23.6.

Knee injuries prevented her from continuing a playing career in the late 1980s, and she became a TV broadcaster and coach.

Case for: She was the premier player of her era.

Case against: Her career was so short that if a grade were awarded, it would be "Incomplete."

justintyme

PostPosted: 07/18/14 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
Nice Info genero

I'm just copying and pasting from the article sambista posted to make it easier for those who don't wish to click the link. Cool

Hopefully everyone still clicks the link. It's important to reward those who write about women's basketball with web traffic, since that is typically how the powers that be determine what gets put up on their site.

The more clicks we give them, the more they will write! Very Happy

PostPosted: 07/18/14 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, my bad, I will read the article

sambista

PostPosted: 07/18/14 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:
Nice Info genero

Hopefully everyone still clicks the link. It's important to reward those who write about women's basketball with web traffic, since that is typically how the powers that be determine what gets put up on their site.

The more clicks we give them, the more they will write! Very Happy

more specifically, the more clicks we give them, the more the ADVERTISING/MARKETING departments will take notice and urge the newsroom to write more, then the editors will assign more stories.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, I miss Lauren Jackson!

PostPosted: 07/18/14 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SuziQ wrote:
Damn, I miss Lauren Jackson!

Me too.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The relatively recent existence of the W makes this comparison problematic. Modern players have opportunities to improve or diminish their reputations that past players didn't. Put another way; if the W didn't exist Chamique Holdsclaw would be on this list and Cynthia Cooper wouldn't.

Anyway, Semjonova is the answer.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

Lauren Jackson

Career recap: The 6-5 Australian is almost certainly the most well-rounded post player of all time. She is as adept from the 3-point line as she is near the basket.

Jackson has been MVP of the WNBA three times (2003, 2007, '200) and led Seattle to league championships in 2004 and 2010. She is fourth in league history in points per game (18.9).

Case for: Her inside/outside versatility redefined what it meant to be a female post player.

Case against: Injuries have limited her. She has played 22 games over the past four WNBA seasons.

In her prime, the best player in league history. Injuries suck.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/18/14 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Yeah, I was resisting the temptation to point out that this was the usual American list of "Greatest X" with only American people - or occasionally a foreigner who largely made their name in America - included.

PostPosted: 07/18/14 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yeah, I was resisting the temptation to point out that this was the usual American list of "Greatest X" with only American people - or occasionally a foreigner who largely made their name in America - included.

What, are you saying North Korea didn't beat Brazil 1-0?

PostPosted: 07/19/14 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Katie Smith ?

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/19/14 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The relatively recent existence of the W makes this comparison problematic. Modern players have opportunities to improve or diminish their reputations that past players didn't. Put another way; if the W didn't exist Chamique Holdsclaw would be on this list and Cynthia Cooper wouldn't.

Teresa Edwards said that Hortencia is the answer. Listen to Hubie Brown during his hall of fame speech wax poetic about Hortencia at 2:07.

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PNNjIaC2iZY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNNjIaC2iZY

I've seen highlights of Semjonova and I wasn't impressed. Her size made her dominant, but she hardly had near the game of Leslie.

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/19/14 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/woRRxR0UBKI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woRRxR0UBKI

Genero36

PostPosted: 07/19/14 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How can anyone look at this video and say that Diana Taurasi isn't a legend of legends?

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pDqjZ5Y9zzE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDqjZ5Y9zzE

Howee

PostPosted: 07/20/14 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Ever". That single adverb makes the discussion moot.

But one can always play along, no? That list--and hence, discussion--is definitely incomplete without the likes of Katie Smith, Tina Thompson, Molly Bolin or Nera White.

And how valid is it to compare someone whose playing career was (for reasons beyond their control) much shorter than others who were blessed with better circumstances, i.e., no injuries/access to better sports medicine or better (more competitive?) playing opportunities? People like Cheryl Miller or Jackie Stiles, et. al, get short-changed.

Stat Homework for Pilight: compose complete set of stats for each player's 5 BEST games from any of their 2 BEST seasons. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: