RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA cashing in on Pride campaign, but......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SueFavor

PostPosted: 07/06/14 1:32 am    ::: WNBA cashing in on Pride campaign, but...... Reply Reply with quote

Supposedly, the league's Pride campaign is a success:

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2014/07/05/wnba-pride-game

I find it odd that Los Angeles was one of the first teams to court the lesbian community, as noted in the story, but they're one of three teams this year that are not having a Pride game:

http://hoopism.blogspot.com/2014/07/wnba-cashing-out-on-pride-campaign-well.html

womenshoopsworld.com

twitter.com/hoopism

whoopsworld@aol.com
Randy

PostPosted: 07/06/14 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is kind of strange that Tulsa had a Pride game, but LA did not. One would have guessed it would be the other way around. Also, interesting that San Antonio did not have one.

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/06/14 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

San Antonio doesn't surprise me, given the debacle with Sophia Young. They'd probably love the entire league to return to the status quo of "lesbians? what lesbians? I don't see any lesbians, you don't see any lesbians, right?" in order to keep the peace.

With LA, I blame Paula Madison and the fact that the team kind of didn't exist for a couple of months. A lot of things can get lost in that kind of shuffle. Next year, no excuses.

(now with spelling variations)
ster II

PostPosted: 07/06/14 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No excuse is acceptable for LA - Major Cosmopolitan city should do the right thing - how long does it take to organize for a home game?

Most WNBA teams had Pride games last month, there's still plenty of season left for LA to get it together.

And while we're at it, come on San Antonio- One homophobic player shouldn't stop a whole team.

And the Sun - again, no excuse. just sayin.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 07/06/14 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ster II wrote:
how long does it take to organize for a home game?

Well, if the Fever are any example....

It was a family game yesterday. That meant that in addition to your ticket you were paying for a hot dog, bag of chips, small drink and a t-shirt. The ticket for the t-shirt said to pick it up outside section 16. Got outside section 16 and there were a couple of people dressed in Fever gear doing a dice game or something. Asked them where I was supposed to go for the shirt, they didn't know. A fan walking by told me where to go. Outside section 14!

Got to section 14 and when I pointed out that my ticket said section 16, thinking that they needed to be aware of the change/mistake, his response was "yeah, they changed it." I asked if he thought that they should let people know he said, "I work for the Pacers, not the Fever." Rolling Eyes

Later, when I was walking around checking things out, I walked past some other people who were asking an usher about where to go for the shirt, the usher had no clue.

So, if it takes fans at the Fever games to get other fans to the right spot when arena employees can't.... Rolling Eyes

nsw43

PostPosted: 07/06/14 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Mystics had a Pride game, it was invisible.

norwester

PostPosted: 07/06/14 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm had 2 pride games.

PostPosted: 07/06/14 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did I miss the New York Liberty wearing Pride warm up shirts ?

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/06/14 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ster II wrote:
No excuse is acceptable for LA - Major Cosmopolitan city should do the right thing - how long does it take to organize for a home game?

Most WNBA teams had Pride games last month, there's still plenty of season left for LA to get it together.

And while we're at it, come on San Antonio- One homophobic player shouldn't stop a whole team.

And the Sun - again, no excuse. just sayin.

To start out you need to get a sponsorship, then create advertisements and signage that will be posted around the arena, and if you are going to market the game prior to the game, develop a plan of where you will market it at, then you have to make phone calls to groups, organizations to get the word out about your game, and get the people to come to the game whether by giving out free tickets or group discount tickets. Then there is the part of actually making the posters, signs, advertisements and videos, etc. And of course if you are going to be making shirts or other things to give out to fans, someone needs to create them, order them, proof them, etc.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but if you want something done well, it's not something that can just be thrown together overnight or in a few days. If you just want them to pick a random game, and call it "Pride Game" but have nothing for it, that could have easily been done, no problem, but then how many people would be complaining about them having a pride game, but not doing anything for it.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/06/14 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream pulled together Native American Heritage night sometime between draft night and the Seattle game. Clearly the Sparks would have had a lot more time than that.

GEF34

PostPosted: 07/06/14 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
The Dream pulled together Native American Heritage night sometime between draft night and the Seattle game. Clearly the Sparks would have had a lot more time than that.

The Sparks were still hiring people after the draft, if the person whose job it would have been was hired after the draft, they wouldn't have had all the time you mentioned.

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 07/06/14 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sparks probably didn't want to piss off Lisa Leslie...
missy

PostPosted: 07/07/14 4:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm a long time lurker here, and have decided to finally post after many years of reading.

I've been a Sparks season ticket holder for 10 years. Before that I lived in NY and was a Liberty STH (Yes, that transition was horrible and I almost quit going to games rather than support The Sparks, but Spoon showed up in L.A. the same year I did, so I caved.)

It seems obvious to me that the Sparks considered Pride in some capacity, as evidenced by having Melissa Etheridge sing the anthem. The usual anthem singers... leave something to be desired.

Why didn't they choose to leverage the appearance of an iconic gay singer at all? It was hardly promoted. Why no Pride branding for that game?

My experience since the ownership change has been that the management, not unlike the team, is in shambles.

I could make a laundry list of what has gone wrong. Starting with the fact that literally no one I have talked to knows who their account rep is. Customer service is non-existant.

If you look at LinkedIn, you can see how many new hires have started there in the last one or two months. Even more tellingly, they are still hiring via private recruiters/agencies. Much of the current understaffed staff seems to have started after the season did.

Despite being handed a glow stick when we entered today, I have zero confidence that the Sparks could pull together any marketing initiative at this time.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/07/14 4:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

missy wrote:
Hi all,
I'm a long time lurker here, and have decided to finally post after many years of reading.

Welcome! Smile

I'm going to give the Sparks a pass on this one. Given all that the organisation has gone through, at this point I am just very happy that they're still in the league for now. I hope their fans can be understanding and patient through this season. The extra initiatives would be nice, but the most important thing is for them to just survive. The rest of the league has Phoenix to passionately dislike, but us Phoenix fans need LA Wink

PostPosted: 07/07/14 5:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome!

I hope next year ALL the teams see the potential of Pride events. There are no excuses next year, considering how well those shirts sold.

I am also in the honeymoon phase of being glad that Sparks still have a home... they get a pass this year just for being around. But I certainly feel like they missed an opportunity, even just to get Melissa Etheridge fans in the door. A sweepstakes to get a picture with her would have gotten some people in, I bet.

In any case, I definitely didn't share the view in this article that the gay audience were 'acknowledged' in any way.

http://www.afterellen.com/the-wnba-is-embracing-out-players-coaches-and-fans/07/2014/

p.s. Sparks need the Merc, too. They seem to be the only thing that wakes certain players up from a numbingly boring apathy... I've seen them lose a lot this season and it gets hard to watch when they don't seem to care. At least today they did.

STLnTDOT

PostPosted: 07/07/14 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No team wore the "Pride" shirts, the league backed off of having players wear the shirt due to some religious backlash

So instead of sticking to their initiatives they let churches tell them what to do

Queenie

PostPosted: 07/07/14 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
No team wore the "Pride" shirts, the league backed off of having players wear the shirt due to some religious backlash

So instead of sticking to their initiatives they let churches tell them what to do

And that infuriates me to no end. Absolutely enrages and pisses me off. I wish more of this would come out publicly so we know who to react at properly.

(now with spelling variations)
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/07/14 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:

And that infuriates me to no end. Absolutely enrages and pisses me off. I wish more of this would come out publicly so we know who to react at properly.

Bigotry in the name of religion is still bigotry.

PostPosted: 07/07/14 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Queenie wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:

There are about a few lines in the bible that denounce homosexuality.

There are hundreds warning about the danger of prejudice, judgement and discrimination in the Bible.

You do the math.

Hate is hate....how you justify it is your sad sack excuse.

PostPosted: 07/07/14 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
Queenie wrote:
STLnTDOT wrote:

There are about a few lines in the bible that denounce homosexuality.

There are hundreds warning about the danger of prejudice, judgement and discrimination in the Bible.

You do the math.

Hate is hate....how you justify it is your sad sack excuse.

Agreed.

PostPosted: 07/07/14 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, the Stars didn't have a Pride night and pretty much avoided anything to do with it, but they didn't hesitate to start promoting Faith night for wed.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 07/07/14 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:
Also, the Stars didn't have a Pride night and pretty much avoided anything to do with it, but they didn't hesitate to start promoting Faith night for wed.

Sakes alive, my hearing is getting REALLY good, I just heard a dog whistle all the way from San Antonio's front office. Rolling Eyes

At least Appel is trying to smooth things over...but that's because Appel is awesome.

PostPosted: 07/07/14 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:

So they're still the JCSS

PostPosted: 07/08/14 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STLnTDOT wrote:

Were players prevented by the league from collectively wearing them on their own? Question

tfan

PostPosted: 07/08/14 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

But it always seemed to me like the main story line of the Old Testament is discriminatory or prejudiced. God has one group that are his chosen people.

I know someone that is a very devout Christian and they have changed their opinion on homosexuality, and a lot of that is based on the fact that there are other things in the bible that are not followed. They specifically mentioned that there is something in the New Testament about women not speaking in church and women always having to cover their head in church.

But they also don't believe that "it's a choice" (and I think may have come to that opinion over time).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: