RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Miers withdraws!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 10/27/05 7:57 am    ::: Miers withdraws! Reply Reply with quote

Who's next?

PostPosted: 10/27/05 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

Can the president withdraw? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

- Diana Taurasi
womens_hoops

PostPosted: 10/27/05 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

brilliant timing. will distract us all from the Rove-Libby indictments coming today or tomorrow.

vanyogan

PostPosted: 10/27/05 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miers Withdraws to ‘Spend More Time with Humans’
by Scott Ott

(2005-10-27) — Harriet Miers today withdrew her name from consideration as a Supreme Court Justice so she could “spend more time with family and friends, and just humans in general.”

“During the weeks since my nomination,” said Miss Miers, “as I made the rounds on Capitol Hill, I have missed the fellowship of human beings that I enjoyed on earth. So, I’m returning to the mother planet.”

Miss Miers said her withdraw was also prompted by a desire “to pursue other interests…like picking at my cornea with a dental instrument.”

credit:
http://www.scrappleface.com/SF/?p=1036

PostPosted: 10/27/05 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Senator Feinstein used the words "Not bad" in conjunction with Miers yesterday. That's pretty much a death knell in terms of support from the right.

PostPosted: 10/27/05 9:10 am    ::: Re: Miers withdraws! Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Who's next?

someone even FURTHER to the right.

Bush already warned that if she didn't get passed through, he was going to stick it to the Democrats and make them sorry.

Yeah, that seems about right. That's the number 1 priority for the President of the country. Stick it to your opponents rather than care about the well being of the country you are allegedly leading.

Don't pet the sweaty stuff
pilight

PostPosted: 10/27/05 9:12 am    ::: Re: Miers withdraws! Reply Reply with quote

PennyTfan1 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Who's next?

Confused

We don't know how far to the right Miers is. That's why she got booted.

I don't think the president has enough political clout right now to pick someone too far to the right.

PostPosted: 10/27/05 9:31 am    ::: Re: Miers withdraws! Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PennyTfan1 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Who's next?

Confused

I don't think the president has enough political clout right now to pick someone too far to the right.

I had been hearing that she was not extreme at all....she just was not qualified for the job.

I agree with you about the clout.....W doesn't seem to realize this though. Wink

He was being his usual "prick" self during that interview. Evil or Very Mad

Don't pet the sweaty stuff
vanyogan

PostPosted: 10/27/05 9:31 am    ::: Re: Miers withdraws! Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PennyTfan1 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Who's next?

Confused

I don't know pilight, my original thought was to send a dummy nominee first, if one was going to do that it would be hard to find one unless of course you choose your own lawyer, who can't be personally attacked. It works for me. The question is how many nominees want to even go through the process.

I'm thinking Janice Rodgers Brown. She is the favorite among conservatives and the hard left won't be willing to contain themselves. It would work I think. Even if she goes down it's going to further the Republican strategy of eroding the solid black democrat vote, particularly among younger voters where the erosion has begun.

Suppose Bush nominates Brown, then Cheney resigns under a Libby indictment and Bush nominates Rice as VP.

If I'm Bush I'd be torn between bitch slapping my conservative base and calling the Republican Senators bluff. Make the "conservative" Senators take the heat from the base if they balk on a fight like did a few months ago, especially the ones who want to run for President.

PostPosted: 10/27/05 9:40 am    ::: Re: Miers withdraws! Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
If I'm Bush I'd be torn between bitch slapping my conservative base and calling the Republican Senators bluff. Make the "conservative" Senators take the heat from the base if they balk on a fight like did a few months ago, especially the ones who want to run for President.

Bush's approval ratings are low enough that it might backfire. The senators could very well decide that they're better off not getting in bed with president 30-something, especially those who might want to run for president.

My guess is that he'll go with another woman, Karen Williams.

PostPosted: 10/27/05 9:54 am    ::: Re: Miers withdraws! Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
vanyogan wrote:

Bush's approval ratings are low enough that it might backfire. The senators could very well decide that they're better off not getting in bed with president 30-something, especially those who might want to run for president.

My guess is that he'll go with another woman, Karen Williams.

In 1999, Williams wrote the 4th Circuit opinion that would have paved the way for overturning the landmark 1966 decision in Miranda that outlines the rights read to criminal suspects. The Supreme Court voted 7-2 to let it stand. That sounds like the kind of ruling that would make moderate anybodies squemish. Hell, it makes me nervous. Too risky.

PostPosted: 10/27/05 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i can't wait for "snl" to pick this apart. "snl" saturday night, then my boy tim russert on "meet the press" sunday morning. as doris burke would say, "mmmm!"

PostPosted: 10/27/05 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what happened to all the Giuliani talk?

sambista

PostPosted: 10/27/05 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
what happened to all the Giuliani talk?

why settle for the bench when he can have a whole house?

PostPosted: 10/27/05 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
i can't wait for "snl" to pick this apart. "snl" saturday night, then my boy tim russert on "meet the press" sunday morning. as doris burke would say, "mmmm!"

Before all that ,we have Bill Maher Very Happy

i hope he has Ann&Andrew on...

October 7, 2005

On Harriet Miers

"This is the U.S. Supreme Court. It's the third branch of government. Yeah, we do want somebody qualified, surprisingly enough. And I'm second to no one in wanting Roe v. Wade overturned. But, you know, once that's done, there are other cases. And she is simply unqualified for the job. It's stunning that he would nominate her." – Ann Coulter

"The first thing I don't understand about this is I reviewed some of the cases where other Supreme Court justices have recused themselves because they were too close to a case... How come this woman who has been George Bush's 'bitch' -who calls him the most brilliant man she ever met - this is the one thing I know she's ever judged - why is this woman not recusing herself from the entire job?" – Bill Maher

"I have to say it was nice to see Ann Coulter finally get it from George Bush. It was finally him telling her to go fuck herself. He doesn't care. He's the president. He had one accountability moment. It was November last year. She backed him. As far as I'm concerned, she can stick with it" – Andrew Sullivan

"And there's no secular voice. There's no voice of me in this Cabinet. Everyone who gets appointed has to be not just Christ-y, but 'Super-Christ-y,' 'Double-Dog-Christ-y,' 'Twice-Born Christ-y.'" – Bill Maher

sambista

PostPosted: 10/27/05 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticwiz wrote:
Before all that ,we have Bill Maher Very Happy

ah, yes!

PostPosted: 10/27/05 1:39 pm    ::: Re: Miers withdraws! Reply Reply with quote

[We don't know how far to the right Miers is. That's why she got booted.

I don't think the president has enough political clout right now to pick someone too far to the right.[/quote]

I believe the Reds still control the House and the Hill.

[I had been hearing that she was not extreme at all....she just was not qualified for the job.]

If she could not stand the heat, she surely wasn't qualified.

Skol Vikings
State of Hockey
Los Lynx
vanyogan

PostPosted: 10/27/05 2:40 pm    ::: Re: Miers withdraws! Reply Reply with quote

Retav8or wrote:
[We don't know how far to the right Miers is. That's why she got booted.

Quote:
I believe the Reds still control the House and the Hill.

[I had been hearing that she was not extreme at all....she just was not qualified for the job.]

If she could not stand the heat, she surely wasn't qualified.

I think this is really about conservatives want a FIGHT. They think they can win and the polls seem to give them an edge.

Come on "W", throw out some raw red meat and let's get it on. Cool

The sooner the better. I'm betting tommorrow if indictments are immenent, Monday either way. Sort of a check(Miers), then a raise, ALL IN!

PostPosted: 10/27/05 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought my brother was picking on me when he put her withdrawal in an e-mail this morning. O Happy Day!

PostPosted: 10/27/05 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just our luck, Priscilla will be next...and she isn't Queen of the Desert.

potd41

PostPosted: 10/27/05 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

And she's not Princess of the Desert either....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vanyogan

PostPosted: 10/27/05 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

potd41 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

And she's not Princess of the Desert either....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope, it's going to be Janice Rodgers Brown.

Libs think they have won a great victory. I just heard Ann Coulter say she is 100% behind the president again. Rush limbaugh said the same thing(I don't actually listen to him).

The point being is that libs think the Republicans/conservatives are devided but they catastrophically misunderstand. You are actually allowed to disagree on controversal issues in conservative circles.

What the Miers debacle has effectively done is unite the base and put the wobbly Senators on notice that a hardline conservative is the only way out this next election cycle. If conservatives can put Bush on his knees, what chance does a wobbly senator have in this up coming fight?

Senators didn't defeat Miers, the conservative media did. Please name an instance when liberals, liberal media, defeated a Democrat President?

Bring it on baby!

PostPosted: 10/27/05 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

October 28, 2005

Step forward the real nominee
By Gerard Baker
WHEN President Bush shocked supporters and opponents alike a month ago by nominating Harriet Miers, his White House counsel, to the vacancy on the Supreme Court, an intriguing conspiracy theory did the rounds in Washington.

Ms Miers, so self-evidently unqualified for a seat on the nation’s highest court, was a kind of stalking horse, the theory went. The real Bush plan, masterminded no doubt by his Machiavellian amanuensis Karl Rove, was to put an extreme conservative jurist on the court, someone who would vote to overturn abortion rights, outlaw affirmative action and break down the barriers between Church and State.

The problem was that someone like that would have a very tough time getting confirmed by the Senate. Though the Republicans have a majority in the upper house of the Congress, which must approve Supreme Court candidates, the Democrats, who would obviously oppose such a nominee, have enough votes to block his (or her) confirmation.

The best way to proceed, then, was to put up first a candidate the White House knew would get knocked down. Having “regretfully” and “humiliatingly” withdrawn that candidate, the President could then, with heavily orchestrated reluctance and irritation, put up the suitably-qualified favourite.

The Democrats would have a hard time in the court of public opinion if they now took exception to someone who was, whatever their judicial intentions, at least smart, capable and experienced. They wouldn’t want the potential opprobrium of throwing out a second nominee.

Goodbye Harriet. Come on down, Attila

<snip>

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1846664,00.html

LOL!

This guy has the same theory I did...

PostPosted: 10/27/05 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately for that theory, it wasn't the Democrats that balked at Miers. They still have a clean slate to oppose whoever.

PostPosted: 10/27/05 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Unfortunately for that theory, it wasn't the Democrats that balked at Miers. They still have a clean slate to oppose whoever.

I agree pilight, the difference is that the base conservative is united, and the Dems are confused. You see, now, as said earlier, the wobbly senators that I suspected would back down from a fight now how the benchmark of the right putting Bush on his knees.

How many "renegades" will you be able to count if a true fight developes?

RE: Ann Coulter on Miers Withdrawal: It's Morning in America!

by Ann Coulter
Posted Oct 27, 2005

Story Options
Text Size: S M L
printer-friendly
email to a friend
respond to this article

Related Stories
BUCHANAN: Miers May Have Helped Save Bush's Presidency

The Left’s Immediate Post-Miers Strategy

'Scratch-Off' Miers

Did White House Ever Really Consider Edith Jones for Supreme Court?

Since Harriet Miers withdrew her nomination to the Supreme Court, Democratic senators such as Barbara Boxer, Diane Feinstein, Chuck Schumer, and Dick Durbin—i.e. all the people who had absolutely nothing to do with Miers’ withdrawal—have been blanketing the airwaves with demands that Bush must now accede to their commands. So it’s good to see Democrats are still working on getting in touch with reality.

<snip>
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=9931

Pilight, this is the fight that conservatives have waited 30- 40 years for. They don't care if they lose. It's about the fight. Scary huh?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: