Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 08/19/14 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beemer wrote:
http://www.norwichbulletin.com/article/20140818/SPORTS/140819530/2000/NEWS

I'll give my .02 later

Quote:
The first priority for the Connecticut Sun now that we’ve reached the offseason is not, as many might think, figuring out what to do with two of the top four picks in the WNBA draft.

Instead, it’s how to get Alba Torrens into a Connecticut Sun uniform.

Quote:
“I honestly feel that she will come here next season,” Sienko said. “We will get through the World Championships this year, we will see her out in Istanbul in October, talk to her again and she has nothing that is prohibiting her from coming here next year. If she doesn’t come here next year, maybe we will know there is another issue.”

Torrens is what the Sun need: a 2-3 guard/forward who is tall enough to be able to create her own space and get her opportunities.

Quote:
Most agree that the 2015 draft is weak and Sienko says that may be the case. After Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (fitness?) from UConn and Elizabeth Williams (shooting ability?) from Duke, there’s not a whole lot to choose from.

This always happens in articles like these. I wonder who he is referring to when he says "most agree"....his colleagues? Are there a lot of people who know about the 2015 WNBA draft class and are talking about it?

Quote:
“At the end of the day, people always want somebody,” Sienko said. “We have a relatively young team, that has some pretty darn good pieces in it, so do we use those lottery picks to get younger? Or do we package them with something else to get some veteran players or trade them straight up for something that we want. We have to be cognizant of what our opportunities are and not look at it as a negative.”

Although I’m sure the Sun are probably not thinking this way, here’s a thought: possibly package one of those (or both) with one of the Sun veteran players to a team (the New York Liberty?) that, even with those additions won’t make the playoffs in 2015, for its top pick in 2016 and someone else. We all know who will be available in 2016 and for those who forget, it’s UConn’s Breanna Stewart — the next Maya Moore of the WNBA.

Oh slam! Lib fans aren't going to like all this insensitity happening in this article. Smile

Quote:
It’s my guess that Faris has played her final game in a Sun uniform.

She'll find a team.

Quote:
The same might also be said for Kayla Pedersen.

How has she lasted this long?

Quote:
Donovan likes McCray’s work ethic and attitude, but her fragility (she has missed two of her four seasons in a Sun uniform) and inability to fill the hoop might have her on the outside looking in.

I think she should team up with Tamera Young at myrtle's new favorite team. Smile

Quote:
Renee Montgomery has one year left on her contract and does add instant offense when she enters the game, but is a defensive liability. If someone else is looking for those talents, I don’t think the Sun would hesitate to make a deal.

Oh, this might be the possible Liberty trade he was talking about. Montgomery and a Sun lottery pick for that useless Liberty 2016 first rounder. Laimbeer are you listening? You could still get Reshanda Gray! Let's get this deal done! Very Happy

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 08/19/14 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there anything to stop Gray (or Achonwa for that matter) from re-applying for the daft this year? Since the Sun have 2 lottery picks the might get Gray anyway, but it wouldn't start her off on the right foot. Still if she doesn't want to play for the Sun, could be a move for her.

Bentley doesn't seem to get a lot of love. I recall the Sun announcer saying she wasn't really a PG and that's what they needed. Might signal that she's available. Dream traded her as well, I guess because the grass was greener when they were expecing Dumerc to come in take charge. LA needs help. Maybe Harding for Bentley. Lindsey might just need a change of address to regain her form. (There might need to be a draft pick moved around as well for that deal.)

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/19/14 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Is there anything to stop Gray (or Achonwa for that matter) from re-applying for the daft this year? Since the Sun have 2 lottery picks the might get Gray anyway, but it wouldn't start her off on the right foot. Still if she doesn't want to play for the Sun, could be a move for her.

Bentley doesn't seem to get a lot of love. I recall the Sun announcer saying she wasn't really a PG and that's what they needed. Might signal that she's available. Dream traded her as well, I guess because the grass was greener when they were expecing Dumerc to come in take charge. LA needs help. Maybe Harding for Bentley. Lindsey might just need a change of address to regain her form. (There might need to be a draft pick moved around as well for that deal.)

From discussion during the 2014 draft if player is drafted, but doesn't sign a profession contract with any team, including overseas, they can re-enter the draft. So along with Chelsea Gray and Natalie Achonwa, Jennifer Hamson could also fall into this category as well.

Beemer

PostPosted: 08/19/14 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As for getting Alba Torrens into a Sun uniform- it has been five years since she was drafted. IMO if she was really interested in playing for them she would have found a way to get over here already, her commitment to the Spanish national team not withstanding.

The Sun have not had good fortune getting their foreign draft picks to play for them lately and frankly I wonder why they still bother. It is pretty obvious to me they don't want to play in a small town in the middle of nowhere [as Uncasville CT has been described on more than one occasion]. Since that seems to be the case I think the Sun should stop wasting draft picks on foreign players.

PostPosted: 08/19/14 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Well I think it'll make sense for Hamson, because I'm sure she could go way higher than what she did this past year, if she's interested in playing basketball. But in Achonwa's and Gray's cases, I'm not exactly sure how much higher they would actually go because they both came off major injuries.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/19/14 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you are probably right. There was discussion that Achonwa and Gray would be lottery picks this year, so that would get them a little more money, but doesn't seem worth it. So it would only be if say Gray really wanted to play in Seattle (?) or Tulsa (seems highly unlikely) or just hates the thought of playing in CT. Don't see why Achonwa wouldn't be happy to stay with Indiana.

Beemer, agree with you on Torrens. Seems like its now or never for her. With Cruz, Dumerc and Ndour coming over this year, seems like she could have made it had she wanted to.

GEF34

PostPosted: 08/19/14 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I think you are probably right. There was discussion that Achonwa and Gray would be lottery picks this year, so that would get them a little more money, but doesn't seem worth it. So it would only be if say Gray really wanted to play in Seattle (?) or Tulsa (seems highly unlikely) or just hates the thought of playing in CT. Don't see why Achonwa wouldn't be happy to stay with Indiana.

Beemer, agree with you on Torrens. Seems like its now or never for her. With Cruz, Dumerc and Ndour coming over this year, seems like she could have made it had she wanted to.

Depending where Connecticut picks, if Chelsea were to be a lottery pick, there is still a 50% chance Connecticut can pick her again.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/19/14 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Randy wrote:

Well I think it'll make sense for Hamson, because I'm sure she could go way higher than what she did this past year, if she's interested in playing basketball. But in Achonwa's and Gray's cases, I'm not exactly sure how much higher they would actually go because they both came off major injuries.

Would these players act like divas and burn bridges with teams even before playing a single game in the league? Maybe I could see it out of somebody like Diamond DeShields. I don't know Gray very well to say, but I can't see this with Achonwa, who has already been very active with the IND team... going to games and whatnot.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/19/14 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Depending where Connecticut picks, if Chelsea were to be a lottery pick, there is still a 50% chance Connecticut can pick her again.

Why would they want a player that obviously doesn't want to be with them and makes them burn another draft pick? That would be player/management tension right from the start. They don't need to return to that.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 08/19/14 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

Well out of anywhere, if Achonwa wanted to reapply for the draft, perhaps Tulsa or San Antonio may be ideal for her cause Skylar and Kayla play for those teams. But other than that, I would think she's happy or at least content with Indiana. For Gray, Seattle wouldn't be bad for her considering she's from the West Coast, and she could learn from Sue. It's unlikely, but it would be very interesting.

bullsky

PostPosted: 08/19/14 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Randy wrote:

Well out of anywhere, if Achonwa wanted to reapply for the draft, perhaps Tulsa or San Antonio may be ideal for her cause Skylar and Kayla play for those teams. But other than that, I would think she's happy or at least content with Indiana. For Gray, Seattle wouldn't be bad for her considering she's from the West Coast, and she could learn from Sue. It's unlikely, but it would be very interesting.

How many point guards does Seattle need? They are thin in the post...

PostPosted: 08/19/14 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Randy wrote:

Why would they want a player that obviously doesn't want to be with them and makes them burn another draft pick? That would be player/management tension right from the start. They don't need to return to that.

Well it would probably be unlikely they would pick her, if she did re-enter, but it is still a possibility.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/20/14 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Randy wrote:

How many point guards does Seattle need? They are thin in the post...

I certainly wouldnt mind getting Gray. We are not getting a decent post in this draft anyway. Tameka Johnson has a contract for 1 year and Birdy has a contract for 1 more year. So she has the chance of learning from Sue and then in the future take over the team. What ive seen from her is that she is a better PG then Hartley and people are still whining that Agler should of drafted her. So why not Gray. We got Langhorne to strengthen our post. Maybe Rolle becomes a good project for us. If LJ comes back then we are set in the post.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Beemer

PostPosted: 08/20/14 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sun players now going their separate ways:

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/article/20140819/SPORTS/140819480/2000/NEWS

I just hope they all come back safe & healthy.

Edit: Adding another link

http://www.theday.com/article/20140820/SPORT13/308209979/1044/SPORT

PostPosted: 08/21/14 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gray hopes to make WNBA debut next spring

Quote:
“The knee is about 60-70 percent,” Gray said. “I've been playing on it and coming down on it, and I'm not scared anymore. I've gotten over that hump. Now, it's about depending on my right leg as much as much as my left one.”

Quote:
According to her agent, Allison Galer, Gray likely will play somewhere overseas in December or January. The Sun, which finished last in its division and failed to make the WNBA Playoffs this season, is encouraging her to play competitively at a high level. Connecticut coach and Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame member Anne Donovan said she believes Gray would have been a top-5 pick had she been healthy. Donovan said she can't wait for Gray to return to the court, hopefully in May, when the 2015 season begins.

“We think she will be a very good player in the WNBA,” Donovan said. “She's a true point guard. She has great intelligence for who needs the ball and where. She likes to make the assist, rather than look at the stats sheet.”

http://www.recordnet.com/article/20140820/SPORTS/140829898/-1/A_NEWS06

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/21/14 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course the Sun are encouraging her to play overseas in the offseason - if she plays somewhere else, she's not allowed to re-enter the draft in 2015. If she skips overseas play between the 2014 and 2015 WNBA seasons, the SUn might lose her rights for nothing.

PostPosted: 08/21/14 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beemer wrote:

From that first link:
Quote:
G-F Katie Douglas
Destination: Home (Indiana)

Description: The heart of basketball in the United States, Douglas will be doing a little traveling between there and the Mohegan Sun during the offseason, but basketball is not on the agenda. Douglas, who underwent back surgery a year ago, did have a little flare-up and missed the last two games of the regular season.

Thoughts: "I'm heading home. I'm just going to be back and forth between Indiana and Connecticut."

Why do I get the feeling that 2015 will be Katie Douglas' last year? Confused

Beemer

PostPosted: 08/21/14 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Beemer wrote:

From that first link:
Quote:
G-F Katie Douglas
Destination: Home (Indiana)

Description: The heart of basketball in the United States, Douglas will be doing a little traveling between there and the Mohegan Sun during the offseason, but basketball is not on the agenda. Douglas, who underwent back surgery a year ago, did have a little flare-up and missed the last two games of the regular season.

Thoughts: "I'm heading home. I'm just going to be back and forth between Indiana and Connecticut."

Why do I get the feeling that 2015 will be Katie Douglas' last year? Confused

Sadly all good things eventually end. She's 35 and has a bad back. I won't be surprised either if she decides to hang it up after next season.

PostPosted: 08/22/14 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The front office is also counting on the influence of one of Torrens' teammates last season, Sun center Kelsey Bone.

"I've been dealt the task of leaning on her in an effort to come over next summer," Bone said. "I've known since last season, before New York even traded me to the Sun, that Alba had been at least thinking about [playing in the WNBA] this season."

Torrens would provide the scoring and experience no one coming out college next season would give them.

"When I think of Alba, I think of Angel McCoughtry 2.0," Bone said. "Angel will post up every so often, but Alba is more guard-oriented. She is super-fast, super-athletic and an incredible shooter with a high basketball IQ. But the best thing about her is, she is a great teammate."

http://articles.courant.com/2014-08-21/sports/hc-wnba-lottery-0822-20140821_1_wnba-draft-connecticut-sun-gm-chris-sienko

OldGoat

PostPosted: 08/22/14 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Torrens does commit for next season, will there be room for both 1st round picks on the roster? We will have some fun speculating on those possibilities! ☺

Shades

PostPosted: 08/22/14 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OldGoat wrote:
If Torrens does commit for next season, will there be room for both 1st round picks on the roster? We will have some fun speculating on those possibilities! ☺

Heck yeah, unless you're huge fan of Pedersen and Hoffman.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/22/14 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus they could trade for a 2016 pick with someone who was sure they wouldn't be a lottery team...like NY Twisted Evil

OldGoat

PostPosted: 08/22/14 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle, that was just mean! ☺

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/22/14 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Plus they could trade for a 2016 pick with someone who was sure they wouldn't be a lottery team...like NY Twisted Evil

You're mean,

but with that said if the Liberty are in win now mode and are willing to risk the pick (which I believe they will be) here are some idea I would consider between NY and Conn

NY 2016 1st round pick for A. Thomas (Not only do I think Thomas would be a great fit at the 3/4 for the Liberty, and her passing could be a useful asset to a team without a true PG, Thomas could be a 3rd scorer to compliment Cappie and Tuna, and I love the irony of NY trading for Thomas.)

or how about

(this would be risky) NY 2016 1st round pick for a pair of Grays (assuming Chelsea Gray can prove she is healthy and plays over seas, and R. Gray out of Cal steps up) maybe NY's pick for Chelsea Gray and Conn #3 or #4 pick to use on R. Gray.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/22/14 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

or how about

(this would be risky) NY 2016 1st round pick for a pair of Grays (assuming Chelsea Gray can prove she is healthy and plays over seas, and R. Gray out of Cal steps up) maybe NY's pick for Chelsea Gray and Conn #3 or #4 pick to use on R. Gray.

That seems like a lot to pay for a slim ticket, but maybe Sienko will be tempted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: