RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Inside Adidas exclusive WNBA rights
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 05/28/14 3:49 pm    ::: Inside Adidas exclusive WNBA rights Reply Reply with quote

http://solecollector.com/news/the-industry-inside-adidas-basketball-s-exclusive-wnba-footwear-rights/

Quote:
As for the remaining 80 or so players without an official shoe deal?

They have two options: Wear free adidas sneakers, or cover the logos on whatever else they choose to wear.

PostPosted: 05/28/14 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll have to start looking closely on Live Access (I'll uses a magnifying glass) to see what shoes players are wearing. Laughing

Brinx

PostPosted: 05/29/14 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've noticed a lot of players wear Nikes, but I've never noticed any of the logos covered up.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 05/29/14 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of players wearing Nike. Interesting to see if Addidas enforces the Nike players to cover up. Could be a war.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/29/14 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
A lot of players wearing Nike. Interesting to see if Addidas enforces the Nike players to cover up. Could be a war.

I think the WNBA should enforce it, or give Addidas back the money.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 05/29/14 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:

Why Confused The majority of NBA players seem to wear Nike. Good for the WNBA players that have deals with other shoe companies Exclamation
Besides, Adidas is already stealing money with the sorry cookie cutter uniforms they supply the WNBA.

Most interesting to me ....

Quote:
... when it (adidas) acquired Reebok in 2005, the brand also took on the rights deal for the WNBA.

Ever since, the WNBA has been more open to radical changes in the realm of uniforms, both in design and rules. We've seen the brand's iconic Three Stripes featured on the sides of all game uniforms -- something only seen during NBA All-Star Games -- and we've even seen the league allow adidas some muscle in their ownership of on-court branding and visibility.

Basically the "radical" changes we've seen post Reebok, is the "Three Stripes" side panel from armpit to knee for EVERY teams, same # (number) font and silly upper/lower case font of players names. And seems this follows the leagues willingness to give them the "Muscle" to tattoo the league w/bland hoo hum apparel that has required little creative effort on their part. That lack of creativity on the WNBA side is pathetic IMO.

PostPosted: 05/29/14 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
tfan wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:

Why Confused The majority of NBA players seem to wear Nike. Good for the WNBA players that have deals with other shoe companies Exclamation
Besides, Adidas is already stealing money with the sorry cookie cutter uniforms they supply the WNBA.

Most interesting to me ....

Quote:
... when it (adidas) acquired Reebok in 2005, the brand also took on the rights deal for the WNBA.

Ever since, the WNBA has been more open to radical changes in the realm of uniforms, both in design and rules. We've seen the brand's iconic Three Stripes featured on the sides of all game uniforms -- something only seen during NBA All-Star Games -- and we've even seen the league allow adidas some muscle in their ownership of on-court branding and visibility.

Basically the "radical" changes we've seen post Reebok, is the "Three Stripes" side panel from armpit to knee for EVERY teams, same # (number) font and silly upper/lower case font of players names. And seems this follows the leagues willingness to give them the "Muscle" to tattoo the league w/bland hoo hum apparel that has required little creative effort on their part. That lack of creativity on the WNBA side is pathetic IMO.

PREACH! At least we could get our old numbers back or something! Some kind of individuality! lol

PostPosted: 05/30/14 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
tfan wrote:
UofDel_Alum wrote:

What do NBA players have to do with a WNBA deal? Since the fans look at the players as great role models I would think that the players honoring a league contract would be indicated in order to further that ideal.

Quote:

The WNBA must like the uniforms they supply them because I don't think Laurel Richie is too timid to tell Adidas that they don't like the design.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 05/30/14 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
MNfan22 wrote:
tfan wrote:

What do NBA players have to do with a WNBA deal?

Umm NBA/WNBA part of the same contract with Adidas that’s what. The boys wear Nikes and other shoes why shouldn’t the women? These women should have as many of the same freedoms as their brothers in the NBA to secure contracts with companies willing to compensate them. Simple as that.

tfan wrote:
Since the fans look at the players as great role models I would think that the players honoring a league contract would be indicated in order to further that ideal.

Question What the heck does being a role model have to do with what shoes players wear? And obviously the contract with the league allows it.

Kids look at these women as role models and could care less about the business side of things. No need for cookie cutter “Three Stripe” shoes on every player too. Their basketball division needs help ... have you seen some of their shoes?

tfan wrote:
MNfan22 wrote:

The WNBA must like the uniforms they supply them because I don't think Laurel Richie is too timid to tell Adidas that they don't like the design.

Laughing Sadly they must. 30 NBA team each with multiple styles, cuts, designs, displaying some team individuality in uniforms. Contrast, 12 WNBA teams and one style, one cut and except for the logos/name on front, NO team individuality. Cheap presentation & lack of respect for the women of the WNBA IMHO. If they can create multiple styles, cuts for NBA and college teams is it too much to ask to give WNBA teams another option or two? Not asking for the world here. ((P.S. happy to see the NY Liberty go back to their roots w/the black uni)

And you think waaaay more of Laurel Richie then I do Laughing . Richie, not timid? Not all powerful either. Especially since the article speaks how the W pretty much gave Adidas free will to do what they want. Can't get more passive then that. Making sure everyone sees their "Three Strips" is primary to Adidas so of couse thier happy.
We'll just have to disagree on how much power anyone thinks Prez Richie has.

PostPosted: 05/30/14 1:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they never cover the nike logos #bullshit

tfan

PostPosted: 05/30/14 1:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MNfan22 wrote:
tfan wrote:
MNfan22 wrote:
tfan wrote:

What do NBA players have to do with a WNBA deal?

Umm NBA/WNBA part of the same contract with Adidas that’s what. The boys wear Nikes and other shoes why shouldn’t the women? These women should have as many of the same freedoms as their brothers in the NBA to secure contracts with companies willing to compensate them. Simple as that.

But does the contract with Adidas say that NBA and WNBA players are to cover up their non-Adidas shoes when they wear them in games? If yes, I would think the WNBA should make them do it but I guess if the NBA has the same contract and it is flaunted then Adidas must not care for some reason.

Quote:
tfan wrote:
Since the fans look at the players as great role models I would think that the players honoring a league contract would be indicated in order to further that ideal.

Question What the heck does being a role model have to do with what shoes players wear? And obviously the contract with the league allows it.

Allows them to wear non-Adidas shoes or allows them to wear covered-up non-Adidas shoes? If the former, I am confused about the picture with the covered Nike logo on the sneaker.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/30/14 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First, note the exclusion for shoe contracts -- almost every NBA player has a shoe deal of one sort or another, which would explain the number of Nikes, etc., in use. Very few WNBA players have shoe contracts, so you'll see much more Adidas, one would think.

Second, the WNBA is hardly in a position to turn down a sponsor. So are you saying players should wear whatever shoes they want and give up the money? Or that teams should design and fund their own uniforms? I would guess that uniform costs per team probably run about $20,000 a year, though I could be way off in either direction.

Third, the NBA sells huge numbers of replica jerseys, and many fans will buy every style. The WNBA does not sell huge numbers of jerseys (though I confess I have no clue how many), and so it would seem that Adidas would either cut the sponsorship money so it could afford to design and make different uniforms for each team, or give the league more money.

I have no idea about the quality of the uniforms, having not felt/worn NBA and WNBA uniforms, but I find it hard to imagine the WNBA ones are cheap knockoffs. Maybe they're not as good as the NBA -- when the WNBA generates as much income for Adidas as the NBA, then we'd be talking about inequity.

All that said, I think more interesting uniform designs would be great, but it's a money issue, plain and simple.

And the shoe deal is even more problematic, because foot and leg injuries are critically important, and shoes are slightly different from company to company. I think player health is very important, but then again if a player is really set on wearing a particular brand, she can do so as long as she covers up the logo.

The WNBA is a business, and this is a business deal. The reason Adidas spends the money is to get its products seen; if the products aren't seen, then why would they spend the money?

PostPosted: 05/30/14 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Those complaining about players being required to cover shoe logos when NBA players aren't following gear sponsorships in other leagues and those regulations. This situation isn't that unusual nor restricting. The NFL is MUCH more agressive and restricting of player's in-game attire so it "conforms to sponsorship" rules.

So, Ivory Latta has a deal with nfinity to wear their shoes "designed to meet the physical needs of female athletes" (she has a signature line with them). Because of that deal, Latta does NOT have to cover the nfinity logo--though to be honest it is all black so not that obvious.

I am a bit surprised that Chiney does not have a deal of any sort. Particularly given that a couple of other rookies do have at least a minimal shoe deal. I hope her agent is working to build her brand sponsorships and her non-playing income.

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/30/14 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The way around this would be for players who want to wear a specific brand to go out and secure a shoe deal. It does't have to be huge, even something like a $1 contract. I'm guessing if you had your agent call Nike some deal could be reached no matter who you are.

PostPosted: 05/30/14 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
The way around this would be for players who want to wear a specific brand to go out and secure a shoe deal. It does't have to be huge, even something like a $1 contract. I'm guessing if you had your agent call Nike some deal could be reached no matter who you are.

I wonder if there is a minimum amount for the contract. There was a minimum amount with the (now defunct) WPS if a player wanted to wear non-PUMA footwear. I don't recall the exact amount but I want to say it was at least 4 digits.

But seriously, how does Chiney not have a shoe deal of any sort right now when the 7 players below her do?

bekcat1

PostPosted: 05/30/14 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kool-aide wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I wonder if there is a minimum amount for the contract. There was a minimum amount with the (now defunct) WPS if a player wanted to wear non-PUMA footwear. I don't recall the exact amount but I want to say it was at least 4 digits.

But seriously, how does Chiney not have a shoe deal of any sort right now when the 7 players below her do?

If memory serves, there is a minimum contract...either $3K or $5K, I can't remember which. Seems to me that Nike could put a lot more players under contract and not miss a beat. I wonder if the agents of the players who choose to wear Nike (or other brands for that matter) and black out the logos are being aggressive enough to get them these deals. If I were a player in this situation, I'd certainly be asking some questions.

And I'm willing to bet it's only a matter of time before Chiney has a deal.

Brinx

PostPosted: 05/30/14 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney may already have a shoe deal with Nike...she's wearing Nikes in her new CTSuns pictures and she has shared other pictures of shoes and clothing Nike has given her, including personalized Nikes with her initials and number in the CTSuns colors.

http://instagram.com/p/ocQ6CBHFcS/

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 05/30/14 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
Chiney may already have a shoe deal with Nike...she's wearing Nikes in her new CTSuns pictures and she has shared other pictures of shoes and clothing Nike has given her, including personalized Nikes with her initials and number in the CTSuns colors.

http://instagram.com/p/ocQ6CBHFcS/

Yea, she's apart of the NIKE Fam.
http://instagram.com/p/m_fdPanFRU/

PostPosted: 05/31/14 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seriously, why would anyone give Jennifer Lacy (or any WNBA reserve) a shoe deal?

Matt Bonner couldn't even get one in the NBA, and he plays for one of the best teams in the league.

PostPosted: 05/31/14 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Seriously, why would anyone give Jennifer Lacy (or any WNBA reserve) a shoe deal?

Matt Bonner couldn't even get one in the NBA, and he plays for one of the best teams in the league.

Depends on what constitutes a "deal". If you lower the pricepoint enough it could become economically feasible to give deals to marginal players.

PostPosted: 05/31/14 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By the way the NBA channel last night showed a close-up of EDD's shoes. She has a velcro pullover the laces. On the Pullover it says EDD.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 05/31/14 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a question and hopefully someone knows the answer. Why are the players NOT wearing high top sneakers? Vandersloot had a player roll over her ankle last night and was carried off the court. She later came back into the game but was just curious if anyone has an answer.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/31/14 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Depends on what constitutes a "deal". If you lower the pricepoint enough it could become economically feasible to give deals to marginal players.

Bonner just wanted free shoes. He went on Twitter and begged for a deal, and still didn't get one. (Finally, Adidas came through for him, but still ... if an NBA vet can't get free shoes, why would Noelle Quinn?

PostPosted: 05/31/14 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UofDel_Alum wrote:
I have a question and hopefully someone knows the answer. Why are the players NOT wearing high top sneakers? Vandersloot had a player roll over her ankle last night and was carried off the court. She later came back into the game but was just curious if anyone has an answer.

High top shoes don't prevent ankle sprains, nor do they limit them. If you land on another player's foot awkwardly the ankle will sprain the same whether you wear a low or high top shoe. The cuff on a high top would have to be very very stiff to prevent a sprain which is why you see players wearing braces on their ankles and that still doesn't prevent sprains.

I think low top shoes actually help develop more strength around the ankle area, because there is nothing to restrict movement around that area. When you restrict movement, those muscles are restricted as well. And restricted muscles do not get stronger.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 05/31/14 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let me reply/clarify some things here since I might be the lone militant on this subject Laughing
Just to address some points from Clay …

ClayK wrote:
Second, the WNBA is hardly in a position to turn down a sponsor.

No one has asked them to. I’m on Adidas backside because I think they need to up their game IMO. As it is they are losing some major college b-ball contract to other companies.

ClayK wrote:
So are you saying players should wear whatever shoes they want and give up the money? Or that teams should design and fund their own uniforms?

Yes and No.

Absolutely they should wear whatever shoes they want. If a WNBA player, like their NBA brother, can secure a shoe deal and be compensated by that company in addition to their NBA/WNBA contract then YES by all means they should. If NBAers don’t have to cover up why should WNBAer? NBA is much more high profile.

Now, why on earth would you interpret “individuality in uniforms like NBA & college teams” to mean WNBA teams should “design and fund their own uniforms” ? No it’s not that deep.

Think for a minute, “Individuality” in the simplest form : At the start of the league teams had 2 different styles (2 different styles of the neck & arm cut to the jersey tops) to choose from and teams picked one or the other. Check back at photos of early WNBA games and you will see 2 different looks. Up until 2011 teams font numbers & letters were unique to each team. Reebok and the league came up with the idea of what they called “tribal patterns” down the sides, unique to each team. THIS is what I’m refereeing to when saying teams have lost some “individuality” and “identity”.

So sorry I don’t feel that asking for a tiny bit of variety for this professional league of women is asking too much nor would be kill the Adidas bottom line. ...... Arrow

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: