RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Cuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 6127
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
To play in the WNBA she'd have to be a pass-first point guard instead of a pure scoring one and that would require a reinvention of her game from the hundreds of shots she took in college. If she were to do it, it would be a lengthy adjustment.


I was thinking the same thing. Coley seemed more like a small 2 rather than a true 1. If she could function as an actual PG, then the scoring would be a bonus. I can see her doing well overseas in a place like Israel. Maybe she can develop her PG skills and get another crack at the WNBA.

On another note, I think Simmons will hang in for awhile. On a roster lacking in outside shooters, she's one of the few with any kind of track record. Yeah, it's at the shorter college distance. Yeah, Meighan is really streaky. Yeah, the bar is set really low. Razz Simmons also has a lot of experience as a combo guard and is probably the fastest player in camp. Bill loves his superior athletes, and he likes players who can fill multiple positions. Those things should keep her in contention for a roster spot.



_________________
Aside from separately going on trial for murder and treason, Aaron Burr seemed like a pretty nice guy.
NYL_WNBA_FAN



Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 13331



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Simmons and Marshall will be the final two on the roster as well.

One of Anosike or Hoffman stays. Or they both beat out Braxton, which is less likely since Braxton plays like a franchise player once every 5 games or so.

Basically, Cappie/Simmons, Carson/Marshall, DMJ/Montgomery/Young, PP/Anosike (or Hoffman), Charles/Braxton.

Simmons isn't a true point guard but Williams isn't either. Simmons is just a more coordinated, comfortable and confident player from what I see.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55585



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hold on, here. With Laimbeer, you have to think in terms of humiliation. What's gonna be less humiliating for him: cutting a player who he drafted #26 or cutting one in which he traded for? Next year there would be Lib fans pulling their hair out because Laimbeer dropped 4-5 spots in the third round over a player that Laimbeer didn't even keep?

Plus there's the fact that Rodgers is built more like a Laimbeer guard and is a scappy defender and isn't shy about taking the FIBA three.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing



Joined: 28 Apr 2007
Posts: 6127
Location: Underground


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Hold on, here. With Laimbeer, you have to think in terms of humiliation. What's gonna be less humiliating for him: cutting a player who he drafted #26 or cutting one in which he traded for? Next year there would be Lib fans pulling their hair out because Laimbeer dropped 4-5 spots in the third round over a player that Laimbeer didn't even keep?

Plus there's the fact that Rodgers is built more like a Laimbeer guard and is a scappy defender and isn't shy about taking the FIBA three.


Which Liberty fans? No one cares about dropping 5-6 spots in the third round. Last year, Laimbeer traded Hollingsworth for a 3rd Round pick, drafted Sheinnika Smith, and then cut her. Smith did not get invited back when a roster spot opened up later in the season. A few of us were rooting for her, but nobody got worked-up over it. Laimbeer certainly didn't seem "humiliated". Worrying about being "right" sounds more like you. You seem to take a position and cling to it even when the facts indicate that you're wrong (eg, Prahalis, Faris).

As far as Sugar goes, she takes a lot of shots and misses too many. She managed to shoot over 40% once in four college seasons, ending up at .376 (.323 3pt) for her career. She has put up these unsightly numbers as a pro: .317 (.313 3pt) for Minnesota, .357 (.236) in Israel, and .298 (.321) in France. Sugar can be absolutely spectacular when she's on -- with ankle breaking cross-overs and speed to back it up. However, she is a ball-dominant player who has to take a lot of shots, and she just misses too often to justify the few games when she's on.



_________________
Aside from separately going on trial for murder and treason, Aaron Burr seemed like a pretty nice guy.
Str8_Butta



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 7646



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

QUEENSofQueens wrote:

Aww... I was rooting for her. But, the facts are the facts. Sad to think Simmons may be next. I am rooting for her too. Again, I love the underdogs. I am sure that Bill needed to cut a guard to get Cruz on the floor for tomorrow. Unless 2 more bodies get cut tonight, I take it that Charles & Cappie will be resting tomorrow. I can't wait!


I think Simmons will make it, I'd be VERY surprised if she doesn't! I was right about Kamiko last season, everyone thought she'd be cut but she wasn't.



_________________
WNBA fan since 1997
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55585



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
Hold on, here. With Laimbeer, you have to think in terms of humiliation. What's gonna be less humiliating for him: cutting a player who he drafted #26 or cutting one in which he traded for? Next year there would be Lib fans pulling their hair out because Laimbeer dropped 4-5 spots in the third round over a player that Laimbeer didn't even keep?

Plus there's the fact that Rodgers is built more like a Laimbeer guard and is a scappy defender and isn't shy about taking the FIBA three.


Which Liberty fans? No one cares about dropping 5-6 spots in the third round. Last year, Laimbeer traded Hollingsworth for a 3rd Round pick, drafted Sheinnika Smith, and then cut her. Smith did not get invited back when a roster spot opened up later in the season. A few of us were rooting for her, but nobody got worked-up over it. Laimbeer certainly didn't seem "humiliated". Worrying about being "right" sounds more like you. You seem to take a position and cling to it even when the facts indicate that you're wrong (eg, Prahalis, Faris).


Oh, personal shot taken. Cling to it? And quickly disassociating yourself with a position when you're "wrong" (like yourself) is the honorable way to go? That way people will never realize you've been wrong (several times)? Okay.

I was looking through the 2012 draft prospects before their senior years and noticed that Prahalis was the only PG prospect deserving of first round placement and I thought that should bode well for her. She's from the Big Ten and I liked her playing style and fierce competitiveness. So yeah, I was rooting for her to do well and still think she has a place in the league. Never did I imagine that Prahalis would score 42 pts on her senior night, go on to become Big10 Player of the Year, go on to be a Wade Trophy finalist after not being recognized by the committee on the preseason list (that in itself is amazing). I wasn't at all sure she would be a starter from Day 1 and NO WAY did I expect her to become Rookie of the Month. Was I declaring her rookie of the year? Was I declaring her to be an all-star? She has exceeded my early expectations. How exactly am I wrong about Prahalis? Oh yeah.... discrediting your "clinging" notion, a couple of months ago I posted that it was hard for a player under 5'9 to make it the league, so I couldn't guarantee that Prahalis would be back. You must have missed that post. Well, I'm very happy to be wrong about that. Prahalis is back in the league. That seems to be one "facts" you're overlooking.

As far as Faris goes, I'm not sure why you're making a fuss there. I had her at a final rating of #5-#7 with a bottom of #9. She went beyond my bottom maybe because she disclosed that she was still affected by her foot injury? Why are people (including myself) let off the hook for picking Hill at #4? Has she remotely lived up to a #4? Not hardly. It's easy to spot the superstars. It's tougher to find the good role players that ARE ALSO NEEDED in the league.
I fell in love with Faris's consistency, unselfishness, great defense and blue collar work ethic. Did I declare her a starter or an all-star, even though she did work her way to being a starter during the time she wasn't injured. Your "facts" seem to proclaim Faris a failure because of reasons related to her injuries. I'm not sure about about your facts. I still believe in Faris. There should be more players in the league like her and I take pride in backing her.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55585



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta wrote:
QUEENSofQueens wrote:

Aww... I was rooting for her. But, the facts are the facts. Sad to think Simmons may be next. I am rooting for her too. Again, I love the underdogs. I am sure that Bill needed to cut a guard to get Cruz on the floor for tomorrow. Unless 2 more bodies get cut tonight, I take it that Charles & Cappie will be resting tomorrow. I can't wait!


I think Simmons will make it, I'd be VERY surprised if she doesn't! I was right about Kamiko last season, everyone thought she'd be cut but she wasn't.


Okay, let's see your final Lib roster.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 27407



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps we could move this discussion over to the Liberty thread and keep this one mostly for the waiver wire?


p_d_swanson



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Posts: 9713



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Code:
Waived  Clears  EDT     Team  Player
------  ------  -----   ----  ----------------
May  2  May  4  09:15   WAS   Cierra Bravard
May  2  May  4  09:15   WAS   Kirby Burkholder
May  2  May  4  09:15   WAS   Haley Peters
May  2  May  4  15:00   CHI   Zhaque Gray
May  2  May  4  19:30   NYL   Jerica Coley
May  3  May  5  15:45   NYL   Ebony Hoffman
May  3  May  5  15:45   SAN   Karla Gilbert
May  3  May  5  15:45   SEA   Chelsea Douglas
May  3  May  5  15:45   SEA   Taylor Hall
May  3  May  5  15:45   SEA   Joslyn Tinkle


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 27407



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow. ebony hoffman. though even at the best of times, I'm not sure she is Bill's type.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55585



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had some slight wishfull thinking going for Taylor Hall, best player from Chattanooga. I'm a little surprised about Tinkle. Word was she had a decent offseason and people seemed pretty high on her making the team.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 27407



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I had some slight wishfull thinking going for Taylor Hall, best player from Chattanooga. I'm a little surprised about Tinkle. Word was she had a decent offseason and people seemed pretty high on her making the team.


ditto on both.


Happycappie25



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 4174
Location: QUEENS!!!!


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Phoenix Mercury ‏@PhoenixMercury 42s
OFFICIAL: The Mercury has released guard Chelsea Hopkins.


not a surprise at all expect a few very shortly



_________________
"Leave it to the NCAA women's basketball committee to turn a glass slipper into glass ceiling" Graham Hays
TotalCardinalMove



Joined: 13 Oct 2013
Posts: 1248



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wouldn't mind to see San Antonio pick up Tinkle.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13228
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/03/14 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Perhaps we could move this discussion over to the Liberty thread and keep this one mostly for the waiver wire?


Or we could all just realize that, in the grand scheme of Human Events Throughout The World, women's basketball isn't really deserving of that much angst. (...is it? Shocked )

(Oh Myrtloney....if it's not YOU spoiling the fun, it's me!)



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3896
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/14 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
Quote:
Phoenix Mercury ‏@PhoenixMercury 42s
OFFICIAL: The Mercury has released guard Chelsea Hopkins.


not a surprise at all expect a few very shortly

Now it is your opportunity Sky to pick up that backup point guard that you need.



_________________
I am .... a bucket.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 55585



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/14 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
Quote:
Phoenix Mercury ‏@PhoenixMercury 42s
OFFICIAL: The Mercury has released guard Chelsea Hopkins.


not a surprise at all expect a few very shortly

Now it is your opportunity Sky to pick up that backup point guard that you need.


They might be setting their sights higher by waiting to see if Sammy gets cut, which doesn't seem all that likely if Dumerc will be missing regular season games.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
UofDel_Alum



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3979
Location: Delaware


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/14 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is being reported that Chelsea Hopkins has a knee sprain.


petrel



Joined: 26 May 2008
Posts: 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/14 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Recent cuts from Atlanta:

Rebekah Gardner
Khaalidah Miller


AAOK423



Joined: 19 Apr 2014
Posts: 1109



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/14 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welp, pretty sure according to her twitter Slaughter got cut. Im a little surprised, think she would have offered some good things defensively and with her three coming off the bench but can also understand why she didn't make the cut as well.




Last edited by AAOK423 on 05/04/14 7:11 pm; edited 3 times in total
jap



Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 7651



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/14 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
Welp, pretty sure according to her twitter Slaughter got cut. Im a little surprised, think she would have offered some good things defensively and with her three coming off the bench but can also understand why she didn't make the cut as well.


I don't think that Sergeant Slaughter is in track & field form for Boss Ross' fast break offense. I hope she woks on her conditioning and tries again, unless she can hook onto another team soon.



_________________
Regards,
J A P
AAOK423



Joined: 19 Apr 2014
Posts: 1109



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/14 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:
Welp, pretty sure according to her twitter Slaughter got cut. Im a little surprised, think she would have offered some good things defensively and with her three coming off the bench but can also understand why she didn't make the cut as well.


I don't think that Sergeant Slaughter is in track & field form for Boss Ross' fast break offense. I hope she woks on her conditioning and tries again, unless she can hook onto another team soon.


Yep, I agree. I would like to see her come back in better shape in a year or two and get a roster spot. Also, her shooting at Louisville was fairly inconsistent which could have played a factor.


readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5819
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/14 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
jap wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:
Welp, pretty sure according to her twitter Slaughter got cut. Im a little surprised, think she would have offered some good things defensively and with her three coming off the bench but can also understand why she didn't make the cut as well.


I don't think that Sergeant Slaughter is in track & field form for Boss Ross' fast break offense. I hope she woks on her conditioning and tries again, unless she can hook onto another team soon.


Yep, I agree. I would like to see her come back in better shape in a year or two and get a roster spot. Also, her shooting at Louisville was fairly inconsistent which could have played a factor.


She was never 100% after the blood clot. It's a scary thing. I hope she finds a way to recover completely. Best of luck to her.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
jap



Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 7651



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/04/14 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:
jap wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:
Welp, pretty sure according to her twitter Slaughter got cut. Im a little surprised, think she would have offered some good things defensively and with her three coming off the bench but can also understand why she didn't make the cut as well.


I don't think that Sergeant Slaughter is in track & field form for Boss Ross' fast break offense. I hope she woks on her conditioning and tries again, unless she can hook onto another team soon.


Yep, I agree. I would like to see her come back in better shape in a year or two and get a roster spot. Also, her shooting at Louisville was fairly inconsistent which could have played a factor.


She was never 100% after the blood clot. It's a scary thing. I hope she finds a way to recover completely. Best of luck to her.


Yes, there was that too. Sergeant Slaughter shall return! Wink



_________________
Regards,
J A P
mb1



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 4681
Location: Scottsdale,AZ,USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/05/14 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These links are still helpful:

root_thing wrote:
All of the cuts that PD Swanson posted are now on the WNBA.com Transaction page. It also has all of the signings for what looks like every person in every camp (correction, going back only to April 21):

http://www.wnba.com/transactions/


The cuts are also on that PDF file that was previously posted. The roster file is still dated 140423, but it does have the official changes from May 1.

http://www.wnba.com/media/lynx/Rosters140423.pdf


The LA and MN cuts have not been posted yet on either source.



_________________
I've got a crush on Rebby!

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin