RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Australian Opals 2014 Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozcait

PostPosted: 04/28/14 3:12 am    ::: The Australian Opals 2014 Thread Reply Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm new to the forum but couldn't see this info posted anywhere else (hopefully not breaching any protocols by posting this). Thought this might be of interest http://www.basketball.net.au/exciting-young-jayco-opals-squad-set-usa-tour/

soyouthink

PostPosted: 04/28/14 3:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welcome ozcait Smile

Sounds like a good tour for the up and coming Opals players.

Not sure how much the wnba teams will get out of the games though.

PostPosted: 04/28/14 4:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess that the Australian Opals signed Jayco as a naming rights sponsor back in 2009, but I honestly cannot remember them being referred to as the Jayco Opals before.

It seems odd to attach a company name to your national team, but probably no worse than when I am watching a game and I hear the "Allstate Insurance first half stats" or the "General Motors player of the game" announced.

ozcait

PostPosted: 04/28/14 5:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In most of the official stuff from Basketball Australia they are referred to as the Jayco Opals but in media reports they are generally just "the Opals". Must be part of the sponsorship deal. Interesting that Carley Mijovic is able to play given that she was drafted this year. Not quite sure how the new CBA works.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 04/28/14 6:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ozcait wrote:
In most of the official stuff from Basketball Australia they are referred to as the Jayco Opals but in media reports they are generally just "the Opals". Must be part of the sponsorship deal. Interesting that Carley Mijovic is able to play given that she was drafted this year. Not quite sure how the new CBA works.

She hasn't signed a deal with a team yet, I believe would be the caveat. Just because she's drafted doesn't mean she's showing up for a team over here.

caune

PostPosted: 04/28/14 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is Talbot not on the list because the Mercury drafted her or because she didn't make the team???

PostPosted: 04/28/14 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I guess that the Australian Opals signed Jayco as a naming rights sponsor back in 2009, but I honestly cannot remember them being referred to as the Jayco Opals before.

It seems odd to attach a company name to your national team, but probably no worse than when I am watching a game and I hear the "Allstate Insurance first half stats" or the "General Motors player of the game" announced.

The Australian women's national soccer team has a similar "naming rights" deal -- the are officially called the Westfield Matildas, Westfield being a company that owns shopping centers across the globe. And the women's national cricket team has a corporate name attached, too, I think.

Quote:
Due to the recently ratified new WNBA collective bargaining agreement, the Jayco Opals are not able to call upon any players with rights held by a WNBA team,

I didn't know this tidbit was part of the CBA. Interresting. I almost have to assume it was an ownership requested feature?

ozcait

PostPosted: 04/28/14 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think she is expected in Phoenix for the training camp, so I think she would be in the same boat as Mijovic. I guess that means she didn't make the team.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/28/14 8:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Due to the recently ratified new WNBA collective bargaining agreement, the Jayco Opals are not able to call upon any players with rights held by a WNBA team, meaning the likes of Erin Phillips, Penny Taylor, Rachel Jarry, Liz Cambage and Leilani Mitchell cannot participate in the tour.

How does the CBA prevent them from playing Cambage and Mitchell who aren't gonna play in the WNBA this season? Who would get punished and what would it be, if Mitchell and Cambage played for the Opals? And what if Phillips played for them for a month instead of the Mercury, what does the CBA call for in her case?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/28/14 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My all time favorite Opal is on the team!

PostPosted: 04/29/14 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
So is Talbot not on the list because the Mercury drafted her or because she didn't make the team???

I was wondering why she isn't in the team - doesn't have anything to do with her draft. It really is a B or C opals team and only half could keep up with the wnba teams.
hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/29/14 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:
Due to the recently ratified new WNBA collective bargaining agreement, the Jayco Opals are not able to call upon any players with rights held by a WNBA team, meaning the likes of Erin Phillips, Penny Taylor, Rachel Jarry, Liz Cambage and Leilani Mitchell cannot participate in the tour.

How does the CBA prevent them from playing Cambage and Mitchell who aren't gonna play in the WNBA this season? Who would get punished and what would it be, if Mitchell and Cambage played for the Opals? And what if Phillips played for them for a month instead of the Mercury, what does the CBA call for in her case?

Don't know the Mitchell situation but as far as Cambage, my guess would be that Joyce is not wanting to add insult to injury. Cambage blows off the W to only then play against them with the Opals. That wouldn't be copacetic. But then again maybe he just wanted solely to get the younger players experience.
pilight

PostPosted: 04/29/14 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Quote:

The CBA prevents WNBA teams from playing the Opals if those players are on the roster.

PostPosted: 04/29/14 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what the wrote:
caune wrote:

I was wondering why she isn't in the team - doesn't have anything to do with her draft. It really is a B or C opals team and only half could keep up with the wnba teams.

Talbot wasn't selected for the most recent camps from which the team was picked.

I would think after the tour if there are any further withdrawals or injuries that she would be added.

She did have some injuries during the WNBL season so not sure if that is part of the reason for her not being involved in the camps.

PostPosted: 05/07/14 6:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on the photos posted on the Mercury website, it looks like Talbot is in Phoenix for training camp.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/10/14 4:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn't worth starting a new thread for this, but this week the Opals are at a training camp, and right now are playing a scrimmage against an U-20 mens team.
It appears from the boxscore that FLB is captaining the team. Struck me as interesting, and quite an honour for her.
I see also that Rachel Jarry was a starter, which is good news for her health. Very pleasing to see her back on the court after quite a run of injuries.

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/20138/05/47/89/53uenhwF1ph6E/

PostPosted: 07/10/14 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great news that Jarry is back and good to see Rebecca Allen put in another solid performance. A little surprising that Cambage only played 8.5 minutes. Given that she decided to forgo the WNBA season to focus on the Opals campaign and wasn't able to play when they toured the States, you'd have thought they'd give her more of a run. Hopefully no injury concerns there. It is such a shame that we won't be fielding a full strength side at the World Championships.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 07/29/14 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/BasketballAus/status/493989671882346496

blaase22

PostPosted: 07/29/14 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Wasn't worth starting a new thread for this, but this week the Opals are at a training camp, and right now are playing a scrimmage against an U-20 mens team.
It appears from the boxscore that FLB is captaining the team. Struck me as interesting, and quite an honour for her.
I see also that Rachel Jarry was a starter, which is good news for her health. Very pleasing to see her back on the court after quite a run of injuries.

Just noticed this, glad Jarry is healthy again.
Can she still join the Lynx this season? Lynx don't really need McKenith (sorry Queenie)

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/29/14 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Just noticed this, glad Jarry is healthy again.
Can she still join the Lynx this season? Lynx don't really need McKenith (sorry Queenie)

I don't think she had any intention of doing so in 2014 anyway, but no. They suspended her for the full season, rather than the temporary suspension that we've seen used on players like Toliver, Murphy and Kobryn (and Cambage too, actually, not that she's going to show either).

PostPosted: 09/01/14 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.basketball.net.au/injury-forces-jackson-jayco-opals-world-championships-campaign/ Lauren Jackson to miss World Championships and undergoing more surgery. Hope to see her back on the court this Australian summer.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/01/14 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I believed in signs, omens, portents, and other instruments of divine hint-dropping, I would assume that the universe was trying to tell LJ to hang it up, and would end up dropping an anvil on her head if she didn't take the hint.

PostPosted: 09/01/14 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really unfortunate for Lauren. I always feel bad for a player when they have to miss time for a serious injury, and for a player who works so hard to get back on the court and they have another injury it sucks. I wish her the best in her recovery and hope to see her on the court again, at least once. But I wouldn't be surprised to see her decide to retire.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/01/14 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

really sucks for LJ. Would like to see her play one more season in the WNBA, but the chances keep getting slimmer.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY

Last edited by toad455 on 09/01/14 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/01/14 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No surprise at all, but still very sad to hear.
I think you're right, Queenie. The universe at this point must be wondering what the hell else it needs to do to get the hint through to Loz. Maybe a near-miss from a grand piano?

Hopefully a positive can come out of this for the Opals with some younger player taking the opportunity to step up. It really hurts our already-dicey medal chances though.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: