RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Donald Sterling
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/26/14 1:09 pm    ::: The Donald Sterling Reply Reply with quote

Could be additional tapes. Doc Rivers meeting with players later. Steven A. Smith is reporting from his sources that inside the Clippers organization people want Adam Silver to act quickly. Players reportedly 'livid' and under pressure from relatives etc. who want them to 'take a stand' and sit out a game or games?

So it's certainly not just rogue cowboys at home on the range. Donald Sterling is a disgusting excuse for a human being. I would call him many names likening him to animals but I'm trying to not lower my own behavior as each and every case of disgusting human speech or action comes to the fore. I do hope the players and the coaches move forward and get past this right now FOR themselves, and for the tens if not hundreds of thousands of African American and Latino fans of the team.

And please. NBA owners. Take our team away from this repulsive slime. Force him out. Chris Broussaird likened him to an antebellum slave owner. Trust me. That's an accurate description.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10843525/nba-investigating-offensive-audio-recording-allegedly-los-angeles-clippers-owner-donald-sterling

PostPosted: 04/26/14 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's nothing new here except the commissioner. Maybe Adam Silver will do what David Stern always refused to and take some action.

Some Sterling history:

http://deadspin.com/your-complete-quotable-guide-to-decades-of-donald-sterl-1568047212

Quote:
I wanna know why you think you can coach these n

PostPosted: 04/26/14 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson24m
TMZ reported this morning that Clippers owner Donald Sterling doesn't want me or other African-Americans to come to Clippers games.

Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson25m
.@cjbycookie and I will never go to a Clippers game again as long as Donald Sterling is the owner.

Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson23m
I feel sorry for my friends Coach Doc Rivers and Chris Paul that they have to work for a man that feels that way about African Americans.

Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson21m
LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling's comments about African Americans are a black eye for the NBA.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/26/14 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just heard the tapes. This is on another level. It sounds SO much worse than it reads. On another level from everything. His history. It's TRUE racism. Not ignorance. Not the admitted use of one word. It's the attempt to intimidate a person of color into cutting off her public associations with 'black people.'

I just want to say something else. We know how the elites will destroy and jettison the still live corpses into oblivion of non-elites who dares to display any kind of racial political incorrectness ... It's going to be interesting to see how that same machinery deals with a fellow elite.

And ... this will be a window for many into the Los Angeles that people have no understanding of. Most will not have a clue as to what you're really dealing with here, the wealth, the power, the sense of entitlement, the litigiousness, the racism.

This isn't ignorance. This is evil. But it's SO representative of the elites of Los Angeles and don't ever let anyone tell you different.

PostPosted: 04/26/14 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember this?

Quote:
He also accused Sterling of firing him "on the basis of age and race."

Baylor, who was a Clippers executive from 1986 to 2008, alleges that Sterling was unwilling to "fairly compensate African-American players" and as a result, the team "lost a lot of good talent."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/07/elgin-baylor-donald-sterling-clippers-lawsuit_n_805909.html

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/26/14 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching Shaq and Charles forced to deal with this at halftime instead of basketball to me it was heartbreaking. Honestly. They both showed incredible class and restraint. But that made it incredibly and really terribly real.

They all said the same thing and I completely agree and that's that they can't see Donald Sterling continuing as the Clippers owner. Which is the silver lining in this horrible situation. The team we love and the owner we despise permanently separated from each other. They also said the NBA and Silver have to do something immediately. Suspension, etc. Again, I agree, the need is immediate.

Please, NBA. Save me and save so many of us die hard Clipper fans this anguish. We can't accept this from the owner of the team we love and yet we shouldn't have to be torn or distracted at this time. Cut him out of the picture right now. Suspension and forbid him to have anything to do with the team. BEFORE tomorrow's game. Please. I don't want to spend tomorrow ranting or tweeting my disgust with this situation.

PostPosted: 04/26/14 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What does the Los Angeles chapter of the NAACP think?

http://www.naacp-losangeles.org/events.php

PostPosted: 04/26/14 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

The NAACP hasn't been legitimate for decades. They are a bunch of racenegroes, who caters to institutionalized racism.

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 04/26/14 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the league knew how this dude was years before this audio surfaced...and did nothing. now, they are forced to address it.

i feel bad for doc and the guys to have to answer questions about this clown while trying to focused on their jobs.

i'm also annoyed by the fact that al sharpton felt it was necessary to threaten the league with a demonstration in front of the nba HQ in NY on tuesday, if they didn't take action. his threat came before Silver had a chance to address the media in Memphis tonight. it's not about you Al...move away from tmz's camera, and allow the league office, and NBAPA have their say.

PostPosted: 04/27/14 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's more! Deadspin has an extended, 15-minute version of the conversation between Clippers owner Donald Sterling and his then-girlfriend V. Stiviano.

http://deadspin.com/exclusive-the-extended-donald-sterling-tape-1568291249

Quote:
If you don't want to be... walking... into a basketball game with a certain... person, is that racism?

PostPosted: 04/27/14 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
pilight wrote:

The NAACP hasn't been legitimate for decades. They are a bunch of racenegroes, who caters to institutionalized racism.

Local Los Angeles news post-game said NAACP is withdrawing the award to Sterling.

red805

PostPosted: 04/27/14 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Leslie was on the post-game show & said she would not have played if she were in the same situation. She also encouraged all Clipper ticket holders to ask for refunds of playoff tickets & next year's season tickets if Sterling remained as owner.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/27/14 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The next Clippers home game is Tuesday. let's see if the fans respond and don't show up.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/28/14 2:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The next Clippers home game is Tuesday. let's see if the fans respond and don't show up.

If I get tickets I'm going. I'm going to support the fine African American men who are the Los Angeles Clippers. Unless they themselves tell me otherwise by urging us to boycott.

The league could save us from all of this. They could have saved the Clippers, us fans, and the entire NBA from what happened in game four by suspending Donald Sterling indefinitely on Saturday at Adam Silver's press conference. Distance NBA basketball and the operations of the Clippers from him and let's all move on.

All we can hope for now is that the league will act tomorrow with a devastatingly clear and deeply satisfying response to the disgusting information that has come to the surface and continues to shock as more is revealed.

PostPosted: 04/28/14 7:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NBA isn't going to force Sterling out. They don't want that precedent. Not only because some of the other owners privately agree with him, but because they don't want to be in a position where one of their star players says something disparaging about Jews or Japs or whoever and has to be suspended for life.

PostPosted: 04/28/14 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If David Stern was still commissioner, he would fine the Clippers players who wore their gear inside out for violating the league dress code...

PostPosted: 04/28/14 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They can suspend him indefinitely. What's important is that they do the most they can legally do now. Imediately. Almost everything else, what they can and will do later with or about Sterling or the Clippers ownership, is a far off in the distance consideration.

The intensity of the heat on the controversy is so intense right now. Because of the laser focus of the playoffs and the Clippers presence in the playoffs and the reactions from everyone, past greats, current superstars, and the president. Not to mention the reality, not a mere perception, that the story breaking and the league not acting swiftly or strongly enough has broken the focus and momentum, if not the spirit of the Clippers, Lob City being maybe the greatest show in professional athletics right now, and is therefore effecting the outcome of the playoffs.

Anyone. Who thumps on his copy of the NBA bylaws or any other contractural legalities at this time and asserts what the league can't do is on the wrong side of history and is standing up and voicing an opinion dangerously on the wrong side of the matter of racial progress and justice in the United States.

The players, more than anyone else but certainly not just them, have this in their mouths right now, everyone is distracted and dealing with that right now. They're not going to swallow anything less than the absolutely maximum response by the league. An indefinite suspension could really mean anything. But it sounds like the maximum punishment that's even possible at this time. Everyone will swallow that at this time and it could help turn the Clippers hearts and minds back to winning basketball.

Because of how open ended it is on all fronts -- again, it could mean anything in reality -- it should have been done before yesterday's game. At any rate, just as soon as the identification of the voice as Sterling's was established.

pilight, I'd love for you to expound (but I realize I might be dreaming) on your suggestion that other NBA owners might share Sterling's opinions... like specifically, of what? Black people?

That's outrageous and crazy! Just wrong. Except I would agree and add to them about 95% of anyone who owns a home in Beverly Hills. The opinion of African Americans by the wealthy (and very liberal) of Los Angeles, which now includes now many (not so liberal) "internationals" we can call them, is an opinion that is so low that if publicly known it would shock everyone even African Americans living here in Los Angeles.

The walls are up, enforced by the police for so long there's like a Black People Barrier up around the Westside of LA. Landlords silently enforce it and employers cement everyone in their places by who they hire for the massively large service industry that works the Westside. Yeah. It's time for some real truths to come out.

PostPosted: 04/28/14 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
The walls are up, enforced by the police for so long there's like a Black People Barrier up around the Westside of LA. Landlords silently enforce it and employers cement everyone in their places by who they hire for the massively large service industry that works the Westside. Yeah.

Don't care how high they get...

Quote:
The opinion of African Americans by the wealthy (and very liberal) of Los Angeles, which now includes now many (not so liberal) "internationals" we can call them, is an opinion that is so low that if publicly known it would shock everyone even African Americans living here in Los Angeles.

I seriously doubt the African Americans living there would be shocked, or even surprised. They know the score.

One thing that none of the press want to touch is Sterling's politics. He is a lifelong Democrat. If he was on the other side, every newspaper and TV talking head would be mentioning it within the first three sentences of every story.

PostPosted: 04/28/14 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First, you're just a contrarian by nature and second you take special pleasure in casting doubt on anything I passionately assert to be true.

And while it might sound like I've overreached on the point about black people in LA being shocked, I've chosen my words carefully there. But you're right in spirit and nobody knows this stuff quite like African Americans, who live it every moment of their lives. But they also don't hear it overtly stated (and by whom) in the ways in which only white people can often hear it.

I've been saying that for years (largely to myself) and nothing in my experience has ever caused me to waver in that particular 'insight.' But I'll concede (whatever) on that point. Except that I think that actually one of the things that has given this incident and these tapes so much power right now, the power to shock and create 'awe' in everyone who hears them, is that they are a rarely heard (and by whom) graphic articulation, almost matter-of-fact in their tone, of overt unapologetic true and actual racism. The real deal.

This is a different country than it was before the civil rights movement. Black people may still experience the end results of this kind of racism, but they don't hear it spoken by the most powerful practitioners of it, not like they might have decades ago in the South or in the wrong neighborhoods of a city in the northeast. And not spoken by billionaires caught on tape and in the liberal bastion of Los Angeles.

Donald Sterling said something in the recordings that I will guarantee few people caught or even noticed. See if you did and don't lie. In admonishing his girlfriend on the specific issue of posting pictures of herself with black people on 'the Instagram' he said something like... "So I don't have to get calls..."

I wish my friend Sheri were still alive. She was so brilliant (and quick) at catching things exactly like that. She would have scrunched up a half smile and said, calls from whom? Who are those people?

PostPosted: 04/28/14 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
She would have scrunched up a half smile and said, calls from whom? Who are those people?

Illuminati?

Sorry, a bit of facetiousness. I want to hear as much info about the whole situation before I make a definitive judgement for my own mind as to what constitutes the truth. However, at the very least, based on what we've heard so far I consider Donald Sterling to be racially insensitive. If the evidence holds up to scrutiny, then he should be held accountable. What that will entail I think is best left up to the Players Association and the NBA because those entities are affected most directly. Fans were affected to a small degree but they have their own way they can try to extract a certain measure of revenge. Cut into his profits by not buying Sterling related products. Unfortunately though it could cause financial problems for the little guy working in concessions or sanitation, etc.
lynxmania

PostPosted: 04/28/14 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

State Farm pulls sponsorship of Los Angeles Clippers

Quote:
Yes, that will likely mean no more Cliff Paul.

Quote:
darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell 16m
CarMax has announced that, after 9 seasons, it will end its sponsorship of the LA Clippers

PostPosted: 04/28/14 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

One thing that none of the press want to touch is Sterling's politics. He is a lifelong Democrat.

George Wallace was a Democrat, too.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/28/14 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
She would have scrunched up a half smile and said, calls from whom? Who are those people?

Illuminati?

Sorry, a bit of facetiousness. I want to hear as much info about the whole situation before I make a definitive judgement for my own mind as to what constitutes the truth. However, at the very least, based on what we've heard so far I consider Donald Sterling to be racially insensitive. If the evidence holds up to scrutiny, then he should be held accountable. What that will entail I think is best left up to the Players Association and the NBA because those entities are affected most directly. Fans were affected to a small degree but they have their own way they can try to extract a certain measure of revenge. Cut into his profits by not buying Sterling related products. Unfortunately though it could cause financial problems for the little guy working in concessions or sanitation, etc.

Hmm. Let me tell you something, just a little story from this morning. mrs. jammer is an innocent. She is as wide-eyed and pure of heart as she was the day she was born, and certainly as she was the day she arrived in LA. She is a Clippers fan. We've been Clippers fans for about the last 20 years or so. But mrs. jammer loves the Clippers, loves them more even than I do. She talks about the Clippers like a child talking about astronauts or firemen.

So she comes into the bedroom after her shower this morning and she says, in that childlike voice, 'jammer, I don't think the Clippers will ever be the same again.'

It hurt to hear that. And to know it could very well be true.

This isn't a product that we can just choose not to purchase or support. This is our team. There is love and there is heartbreak right now that is off the charts. We realize that our beloved Clippers are really a lesser consideration to the greater issue and injustice of the moment. Were resigned to that. And I think our minds are right in terms of our priorities.

But the NBA owners and their commissioner, the owner's world we're all living in, can fix many many things right now with swift and decisive action punishing this member of their club and serving racial and social justice while letting us Clippers fans get back to loving and supporting our team's playoff run. This will be a defining moment in race in America. I say that as a person who had been obsessively thinking about race my entire life. If the NBA gets this right we can all just tango on together.

If they don't, anything could happen. Anything. Too much was said on those tapes. The Clippers could be the Black Sox (ironically) of this century and of race in America and there could be ongoing ramifications and even unrest. It all really comes down to how convincingly and definitively is the actions and judgment of the NBA.

PostPosted: 04/28/14 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
CarMax has announced that, after 9 seasons, it will end its sponsorship of the LA Clippers

The incredibly wealthy white insurance company punishes the black ballplayer for the sins of the incredibly wealthy white team owner. Ain't that America?

PostPosted: 04/28/14 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

The incredibly wealthy white insurance company punishes the black ballplayer for the sins of the incredibly wealthy white team owner. Ain't that America?

I wonder ... would/could they decide to rescind pulling their sponsorship IF Sterling is removed as owner?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: