RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

season prediction.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlight

PostPosted: 04/19/14 7:18 pm    ::: season prediction. Reply Reply with quote

my season prediction.
champions will be Minn ;runner-up is New York.
MVP is maya moore ;runner up is EDD.
COY is Bill " bad boy"laimbeer
ROY is chiney period.
MIP is sky digg!

play off teams

west
minn
phx
LA
storm

east
New York
ATL
sky
Indy

i hope i atleast get one right.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/19/14 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That looks as reasonable as any. I'm finding the east extremely difficult to predict this year. In part because I feel like all the teams have depth issues where an injury or two could be catastrophic to a season. In part also because every East team other than Atlanta has made RADICAL changes. Atlanta has had movement too, but their core is still intact.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/19/14 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
That looks as reasonable as any. I'm finding the east extremely difficult to predict this year. In part because I feel like all the teams have depth issues where an injury or two could be catastrophic to a season. In part also because every East team other than Atlanta has made RADICAL changes. Atlanta has had movement too, but their core is still intact.

I have the opposite problem. The west after the top two of Minnesota and LA is impossible to predict. I could see any of those teams finishing 3rd or 6th.

PostPosted: 04/19/14 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:

indy is always good whether they injuries or not

ddubdawg

PostPosted: 04/19/14 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as the teams, I believe Minny will repeat even though LA has made some moves to close the gap. In the East, I believe Atlanta will return to the final again. Not made about that as a UofL fan, but I just wish the teams in the East mixed it up a little more.

Now for my "real" prediction, it is that there will be many veterans that will not make teams this year. I just looked at the rosters on the .com (and as has been pointed out they are not necessarily up to date), but gosh there were many names that I just thought, yikes! will that make it another year! I am thinking as many as 10, even with the addition of the possible 12th player for each team. In fact, I think the option of carrying 11 or 12 may be the reason I think more vets may not make rosters. Do you stick with 11 and that one veteran or go with 12 and two younger players that can develope? I cannot wait for the season to start.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/19/14 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

I have the opposite problem. The west after the top two of Minnesota and LA is impossible to predict. I could see any of those teams finishing 3rd or 6th.

I'm comfortable with Phoenix in there too though what lineup they choose to use will be interesting. They have a couple of options. I'd lean Seattle 4 but really not certain. SASS and Tulsa are hard to predict because SASS returns Becky and Young if I'm correct and Tulsa has Sims but probably not Cambage so that's kind of hard to assess.

tbinta

PostPosted: 04/19/14 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see challenges for MIN if continue to workhorse that starting 5 and I see CON in mix in east

PostPosted: 04/19/14 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tbinta wrote:
I see challenges for MIN if continue to workhorse that starting 5 and I see CON in mix in east

Very insightful tbinta! The Lynx are only human. They're not a machine. Reeve must learn to limit minutes and not value pounding teams by 20-30 points over getting the starting 5 rest. And that starts early! Most of these players go year round.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 04/19/14 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rosters are not yet set.So I will not make any set in stone predictions.What I will say,is that the shorter season & sparks depth will play a factor.Think about it,the sparks can lose Parker for a handful of games and not miss a beat.In fact,as crazy as this may sound,Toliver might end up being more valuable to the sparks than Parker.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/19/14 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
pilight wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

I'm comfortable with Phoenix in there too though what lineup they choose to use will be interesting. They have a couple of options. I'd lean Seattle 4 but really not certain. SASS and Tulsa are hard to predict because SASS returns Becky and Young if I'm correct and Tulsa has Sims but probably not Cambage so that's kind of hard to assess.

My main concern with Phoenix is that Sandy Brondello might be in over her head. I was not impressed with her coaching in San Antonio. 2/3 of the western conference coaches have coached teams to the finals.

PostPosted: 04/19/14 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
tbinta wrote:

Very insightful tbinta! The Lynx are only human. They're not a machine. Reeve must learn to limit minutes and not value pounding teams by 20-30 points over getting the starting 5 rest. And that starts early! Most of these players go year round.

The Lynx starters still only average around 30 min per game. That is well within the reasonable/normal range. I am not sure where this perception of overwork comes from.

PostPosted: 04/19/14 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maya Moore was the only Lynx player who averaged over 30mpg last season (at all of 31.4). The previous two years, no one was over 30. It's a fallacy that the Lynx stars play a heavy amount of minutes.

PostPosted: 04/19/14 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Maya Moore was the only Lynx player who averaged over 30mpg last season (at all of 31.4). The previous two years, no one was over 30. It's a fallacy that the Lynx stars play a heavy amount of minutes.

THrue.
the lynx don't rest their starters at the same time. there is always one or two starter in with the second unit.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 04/19/14 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

THrue.
the lynx don't rest their starters at the same time. there is always one or two starter in with the second unit.

Actually, the Lynx don't use a second unit, like NBA teams do. Basically Monica Wright rotates in/out with Whalen/Augustus/Moore and Devereaux Peters rotates in/out with Brunson/McCarville, so there's almost always 3 or 4 starter on the court at once, until the very end of blowout games. Often one other player would get a few minutes a game a too (last year it was one of the rookies: Rodgers/Jarry/or L-Moore).

toad455

PostPosted: 04/19/14 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sky seem vulnerable and might miss the play-offs with Fowles being sidelined. And then they have the issue of what to do with Cash.

EAST
1. New York
2. Indiana
3. Washington
4. Atlanta
5. Connecticut
6. Chicago

WEST
1. Los Angeles
2. Minnesota
3. Phoenix
4. San Antonio
5. Tulsa
6. Seattle

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
jlight

PostPosted: 04/20/14 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
jlight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

THrue.

Actually, the Lynx don't use a second unit, like NBA teams do. Basically Monica Wright rotates in/out with Whalen/Augustus/Moore and Devereaux Peters rotates in/out with Brunson/McCarville, so there's almost always 3 or 4 starter on the court at once, until the very end of blowout games. Often one other player would get a few minutes a game a too (last year it was one of the rookies: Rodgers/Jarry/or L-Moore).

very well said.

jap

PostPosted: 04/20/14 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I generally don't do predictions anyway, but this is especially true this season as much depends on how quickly team chemistry improves and whether young players significantly improve their games.

5'9" 'Mintie and 5'11" Ice add needed defense to the LA perimeter, along with the dynamic Duke Duo of 5'11" Alana & 5'8" Lindsey. Alana spent less time on the court in 2013 than she did in 2012. Besides, she entered last season coming back from nagging injuries in Europe and had to deal with more nagging injuries during the season. So the youngster 6'2" Farhiya needs to come in prepared for the extra WNBA muscle and athleticism. I suppose Ice will moonlight at SF every now & again when Carol prefers veteran experience while Abdi seeks to uplift her game and 6'1" rookie SG/SF Antonita gets acclimated to pro play. Antonita seemed more sluggish on court this past collegiate season than her junior year, although this may have been due primarily to her health woes.

I would prefer Ice or 'Mintie relieving Lindsey at PG more than Kristi. Farhiya's European highlights showcases a sweet midrange game that needs to be translated to the WNBA. It would help if she can improve her effective shooting range to downtown distances with all the attention Ace, Nneka, Sandrine, and Jantel will draw in the paint. Both Kristi and Antonita have showcased truly deep range, although Sergeant Slaughter has to prove she can handle pro perimeter defenses. If Antonita can learn to hit with defenders in her face she will provide another legitimate deep threat to go with 5'7" Toliver, who has had a bad habit of fading in post season play.

I haven't seen nearly enough of 6'4" Sandrine recently to comment on her defensive game. However, 6'2" Nneka & 6'4" Jantel need to take the next step in their defensive improvement. Despite the criticism of 6'4" Ace's defensive efforts, I suspected in the past that she saved herself for late game offensive heroics. With the increasingly stacked roster, such saving is less critical, but we can measure how much she wants a WNBA championship with the effort she adds to her defensive game.

PostPosted: 04/20/14 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
I generally don't do predictions anyway, but this is especially true this season as much depends on how quickly team chemistry improves and whether young players significantly improve their games.

5'9" 'Mintie and 5'11" Ice add needed defense to the LA perimeter, along with the dynamic Duke Duo of 5'11" Alana & 5'8" Lindsey. Alana spent less time on the court in 2013 than she did in 2012. Besides, she entered last season coming back from nagging injuries in Europe and had to deal with more nagging injuries during the season. So the youngster 6'2" Farhiya needs to come in prepared for the extra WNBA muscle and athleticism. I suppose Ice will moonlight at SF every now & again when Carol prefers veteran experience while Abdi seeks to uplift her game and 6'1" rookie SG/SF Antonita gets acclimated to pro play. Antonita seemed more sluggish on court this past collegiate season than her junior year, although this may have been due primarily to her health woes.

I would prefer Ice or 'Mintie relieving Lindsey at PG more than Kristi. Farhiya's European highlights showcases a sweet midrange game that needs to be translated to the WNBA. It would help if she can improve her effective shooting range to downtown distances with all the attention Ace, Nneka, Sandrine, and Jantel will draw in the paint. Both Kristi and Antonita have showcased truly deep range, although Sergeant Slaughter has to prove she can handle pro perimeter defenses. If Antonita can learn to hit with defenders in her face she will provide another legitimate deep threat to go with 5'7" Toliver, who has had a bad habit of fading in post season play.

I haven't seen nearly enough of 6'4" Sandrine recently to comment on her defensive game. However, 6'2" Nneka & 6'4" Jantel need to take the next step in their defensive improvement. Despite the criticism of 6'4" Ace's defensive efforts, I suspected in the past that she saved herself for late game offensive heroics. With the increasingly stacked roster, such saving is less critical, but we can measure how much she wants a WNBA championship with the effort she adds to her defensive game.

alana is great defender. she defends so well against Maya. mintie can't defend maya, but she can defend Dee and mone better.

jap

PostPosted: 04/20/14 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jlight wrote:
alana is great defender. she defends so well against Maya. mintie can't defend maya, but she can defend Dee and mone better.

'Mintie is only about 133 pounds to Maya's 175. Dee and 'Mone are smaller than Sweet Maya. Besides, on at least one of the Atlanta vs Minny championship series, 'Mintie was limited by back woes. Alana is about 160 pounds of muscle with unusually long arms. Alana struggled with nagging injuries last season too, so I wanna see how much of her apparently declining play was due to those nagging injuries as opposed to natural aging.

Departed Marissa Coleman (to Indy) seemed to benefit defensively from Alana's presence last season. She left a better player/teammate than she was when she joined the Sparks. I would love to see similar improvement with Farhiya and incoming rookie Antonita (from Louisville) under Alana's tutelage. I like what Antonita showcased against Brittney Griner in March 2013, but she has to get better to be as consistently effective in the pros. Alana has been the clearcut defensive leader of the team and directs the other players where to line up defensively.

'Mintie will come in handy, especially against speedy opponents like DRob the Roadrunner. I still wanna see clearly who is fastest between those two. Wink Lindsey is a few ticks slower than 'Mintie & DRob, and Kristi has decent good speed. Ice seems top have slowed down from her rookie season, but I will have to see her again to see whether this is permanent or just nagging injuries/sub-optimal conditioning. One needs to be a track & fielder for Boss Ross' teams. Wink

PostPosted: 04/20/14 4:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im going to wait with my final prediction till preseason games and training camp ends. But for now..

East:
Dream
Sky
Liberty
Fever
?
?

What i do know is that even though they lost Douglas and Erin, the Fever always find a way to make it to the playoffs (just like the Storm). So i think they will go 4th. Zellous really turned into a go to player and is a solid 2nd option on that team. The dream return their key players so i see them going 1st and the Sky probably 2nd because EDD will win MVP and the Liberty 3rd.

West:
Lynx
Sparks
Phoenix
Storm
SAS
Tulsa

Similar as last season but i think that the records from Lynx, Sparks and Phoenix will be very close to each other so even closer then last season.
Storm found a way to make it to the playoffs last year and this year they improve a lot with the return of Sue Bird and Langhorne will replace TT's 14,1 points only not her defense though. So they will get 4th place and probably a 17-17 or 18-16 record. SAS will stay 5th because i think Hammon and Young will not be back to old form and chemistry might be affected. Tulsa isnt going anywhere but the basement certainly if Cambage doesnt come over.

MVP: EDD (Last season she was sharing votes with Fowles, now she will take over and keep the Sky in the playoffs without Fowles for the first half of the season and without a good bench for the whole season
Rolling Eyes )
ROY: Ogwumike (Sims a close 2nd)
COY: Cooper
MIP: Tip Hayes (if she stays healthy this time Razz )

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Fishhappy

PostPosted: 04/20/14 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Im going to wait with my final prediction till preseason games and training camp ends. But for now..

East:
Dream
Sky
Liberty
Fever
?
?

What i do know is that even though they lost Douglas and Erin, the Fever always find a way to make it to the playoffs (just like the Storm). So i think they will go 4th. Zellous really turned into a go to player and is a solid 2nd option on that team. The dream return their key players so i see them going 1st and the Sky probably 2nd because EDD will win MVP and the Liberty 3rd.

West:
Lynx
Sparks
Phoenix
Storm
SAS
Tulsa

Similar as last season but i think that the records from Lynx, Sparks and Phoenix will be very close to each other so even closer then last season.
Storm found a way to make it to the playoffs last year and this year they improve a lot with the return of Sue Bird and Langhorne will replace TT's 14,1 points only not her defense though. So they will get 4th place and probably a 17-17 or 18-16 record. SAS will stay 5th because i think Hammon and Young will not be back to old form and chemistry might be affected. Tulsa isnt going anywhere but the basement certainly if Cambage doesnt come over.

MVP: EDD (Last season she was sharing votes with Fowles, now she will take over and keep the Sky in the playoffs without Fowles for the first half of the season and without a good bench for the whole season
Rolling Eyes )
ROY: Ogwumike (Sims a close 2nd)
COY: Cooper
MIP: Tip Hayes (if she stays healthy this time Razz )

Michelle so far I like yours best. Atlanta is a far better team than the liberty and Fever. They played all last year with out Little. Having her back is a huge upgrade and now they have a point guard. The Sky are as good as the Dream but will be a couple of games behind when Fowls get back should come in second. I think the Fever will be improved. They played all last with out Douglas so the only loss is the back up point Phillips. They however added some good young size in the post with Howard and Kizer.
The Liberty add Charles but center was not there problem Last year. Pf is sill shaky at best. Will Pearson's knees hold up and does DMJ have anything left?? They still don't have a point guard and Cappy didn't play like Cappy. From what I see from overseas she is still no. Both Con & Was are building good Young teams and by the second half of the season ether of both could be playing some solid ball.
In the west the only change I would make is that SAS will over take the Storm. They still don't have a center. Langhorne is not quit as good as Thompson. They get Bird back but SAS get Becky,Young and McBride. The two teams were very close last year so I think with the additions SAS will take 4th.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/14 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

East

Atlanta
New York
Chicago
Indiana
Washington
Connecticut

West

Minnesota
Los Angeles
San Antonio
Phoenix
Tulsa
Seattle

MVP: Angel McCoughtry
COY: Bill Laimbeer
ROY: Odyssey Sims

PostPosted: 04/20/14 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

What i do know is that even though they lost Douglas and Erin, the Fever always find a way to make it to the playoffs (just like the Storm).

Douglas didn't play last year, and Phillips didn't contribute. Losing them - and Davenport - should make no difference this year compared to last, except by allowing the Fever to have a roster with players who can actually play.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/20/14 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

East

Atlanta
Indiana
Chicago
New York
Washington
Connecticut

West

Minnesota
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Antonio
Tulsa
Seattle

zune69

PostPosted: 04/20/14 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

East

New York
Atlanta
Indiana
Chicago
Connecticut
Washington

If Braxton is not traded Charles will get lots of playing time at PF,Simmons will make the all rookie team

West

Los Angeles
Minnesota
Phoenix
San Antonio
Seattle
Tulsa

Bench depth with keep Parker & Toliver fresh for the playoffs.compacted schedule will cost minny a couple of games.If minnesota adds a quality 15-20 minute post player they will repeat.Tulsas weakness will not be it's froncourt,it will be the poor shooting backcout.Johnson/Paris/Jones will hold their own,Diggins/Sims/Williams will take lots of ill-advised shots.

Champions:Liberty will win the Title
MVP:Delle Donne(fist player in wnba history to avg 22pts 8reb
DPOTY:Catchings
ROY:Gatling or Ogwumike
coy:Laimbeer
mip:Paris(if cambage sits out the season)

MVP controversy:The Dream & liberty will win at least 5 more games than the Sky,but Delle Donne will take the MVP.Pro Delle Donne vote,Anti Charles & Mccoughtry vote.

Last edited by zune69 on 04/20/14 3:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: