Board Junkies Forums

2015 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 09/18/14 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

If we just took every player in the women's game and entered them in a huge draft, I don't think we'd have a problem stocking 16 teams. But starting off with 12 and trying to expand from there to 14 or 16 is much more difficult.

I agree, if the league were to expand that would probably be the best way, at least in theory, to get a better talent distribution among the expansion teams, but of course no team is going to agree to that (well maybe a couple would consider it Wink ). The way it is now, with teams allowed to protect 5-6 players, it puts the expansion teams already at a disadvantage before they even decide who they want on their team.

I just don't see why it has to be such a big disadvantage to have an expansion team. The Dream made the playoffs in 2 years and the Finals in 3. (Ok - they got lucky getting Lyttle from the dispersal draft. However, that may have been a mixed blessing as it kept them out of the lottery longer.)

And if the Dream are not considerd as good example, the Mystics as of 2 years ago were no better than an expansion team. They made the playoffs in the following 2 seasons and have become a respecatable team (well respected by most everyone not name Taurasi) by getting a good coach who found them some talent.

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/18/14 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

If we just took every player in the women's game and entered them in a huge draft, I don't think we'd have a problem stocking 16 teams. But starting off with 12 and trying to expand from there to 14 or 16 is much more difficult.

I agree, if the league were to expand that would probably be the best way, at least in theory, to get a better talent distribution among the expansion teams, but of course no team is going to agree to that (well maybe a couple would consider it Wink ). The way it is now, with teams allowed to protect 5-6 players, it puts the expansion teams already at a disadvantage before they even decide who they want on their team.

I just don't see why it has to be such a big disadvantage to have an expansion team. The Dream made the playoffs in 2 years and the Finals in 3. (Ok - they got lucky getting Lyttle from the dispersal draft. However, that may have been a mixed blessing as it kept them out of the lottery longer.)

And if the Dream are not considerd as good example, the Mystics as of 2 years ago were no better than an expansion team. They made the playoffs in the following 2 seasons and have become a respecatable team (well respected by most everyone not name Taurasi) by getting a good coach who found them some talent.

There were 3 players that were on the Atlanta Dream in 2008 and in 2010. So sure a team could overhaul their entire lineup in 2 years and it could make a big difference. But if Atlanta didn't overhaul their team and added just Sancho Lyttle and Angel McCoughtry to the players on the 2008 team, would they still have made the finals in 3 years.

As for the Washington Mystics, they've also made a lot of roster changes, 4 players played for the Washington Mystics in 2012 and 2013. It's not as easy as that for a team to make such significant roster changes as the Mystics and Dream did, it's certainly possible though.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/19/14 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In general, expansion teams have improved fairly quickly, often because of dispersal drafts, and sometimes with shrewd decisions.

But hopefully no teams will fold, and I think there are fewer, if any, clueless GMs to take advantage of in 2015.

Still, here's another point (made by Bob Corwin) -- you just can't look at who's coming in; you have to look at who's going out. In other words, the league loses players each year to age and injury, and here's a list of players who will be 33 or older before the start of next season.

If we assume that 35 is the age of retirement (some lose effectiveness before, some after that age), then two years from now all these players will be out of the league or struggling, or if they're still playing, we will have lost a 30+ player to injury or early decline.

Thus any talk of expansion not only means filling a new roster, but has to begin by replacing these players (and I left out borderline players like Roneeka Hodges).

Erika deSouza (33 in 2015)
Katie Douglas (36)
Tamika Catchings (35)
Plenette Pierson (33)
Kara Lawson (34)
Alana Beard (33)
Rebekkah Brunson (33)
Lindsay Whalen (33)
Diana Taurasi (33)
Penny Taylor (34)
Jia Perkins (33)
Sue Bird (34)
Lauren Jackson (34)

That's 13 great to pretty good players that the league needs to replace in the next three drafts, most likely (or replace younger players whose careers end unexpectedly), and that won't be easy. It essentially means that four quality players need to come out of each draft just for the existing teams to stay at the same level -- or, to put it another way, for the quality of the product to stay at the same level.

If there are two expansion teams, and assuming each one needs three players at that level, if not more, that's six more players -- so if you believe there are 20 players who will come out of college or from overseas in the next three years who are as good as that group, then expansion probably makes sense.

If you think the expansion teams need four players as good as Plenette Pierson or Jia Perkins, then we're at 24.

That's a lot of talent ...

PostPosted: 09/19/14 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Replacing the production Lauren Jackson has had over the past three years won't be difficult.

Almost all the players you listed have seen better days or have missed significant time in the last few seasons. Really, there will be no shortage of players as good as Pierson and Lawson and Beard are today. They've already been replaced in large part.

PostPosted: 09/19/14 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clay, do you realize you're in the Mock Draft thread, not the Expansion thread?

A bunch of talent is coming in, and a lot of the current talent is underrated because they don't even get the opporunity to develop.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 09/19/14 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
So at this point 2018 has potential to be the best since 2001?

Based on who: DeShields, Wilson, Turner, Nurse, Williams, Nared, Dahlman and Wagner? It'll be okay.

You never know how a player will develop but I think

Jordin Canada, Ariel Atkins, Kelsey Mitchell, Shakayla Thomas, Gabby Green, and Mercedes Russell could all turn out to be good/decent pros.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 09/19/14 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Based on who: DeShields, Wilson, Turner, Nurse, Williams, Nared, Dahlman and Wagner? It'll be okay.

Jordin Canada, Ariel Atkins, Kelsey Mitchell, Shakayla Thomas, Gabby Green, and Mercedes Russell could all turn out to be good/decent pros.

It seems a little early to project the WNBA fortunes of players who haven't even played one second of college ball yet. Plus, you can't teach height. Much easier to project that a talented athletic 6'4" player like Wilson, Turner and White will be a success at the next level than it is a 5'6" guard.

I would expect Atkins to project much better far into the future than Canada or Mitchell, for example just because she's a lot taller.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/23/14 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chelsea Gray update: Her mom told me she's playing pickup basketball and getting ready to play in Europe this winter -- and that she's really looking forward to playing for Connecticut next summer.

So it looks like she's fully healthy ... let's hope she stays that way.

PostPosted: 09/24/14 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Chelsea Gray update: Her mom told me she's playing pickup basketball and getting ready to play in Europe this winter -- and that she's really looking forward to playing for Connecticut next summer.

So it looks like she's fully healthy ... let's hope she stays that way.

That's great news, I'm glad to see she is recovered and back on the court. Has she with a team yet, or is she still looking at her options?

GEF34

PostPosted: 09/24/14 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Shades wrote:

It seems a little early to project the WNBA fortunes of players who haven't even played one second of college ball yet. Plus, you can't teach height. Much easier to project that a talented athletic 6'4" player like Wilson, Turner and White will be a success at the next level than it is a 5'6" guard.

I would expect Atkins to project much better far into the future than Canada or Mitchell, for example just because she's a lot taller.

This freshmen class certain has a lot of talent, at least from what has been talked about so far, I haven't seen many of them play. It will certainly be fun to watch them develop as they go through college and see who, if any out shine the others.

Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 09/24/14 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've heard a rumor that Williams is not going to play in the WNBA so she can be a nurse. Very Happy Laughing

PostPosted: 09/24/14 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
I've heard a rumor that Williams is not going to play in the WNBA so she can be a nurse. Very Happy Laughing

A nurse? Don't you mean a doctor? Where did you hear this rumor?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/24/14 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fanaticka wrote:
Shades wrote:
Here's a recap video of a St John's vs Auburn game from early in the season.
Keep in mind, this is game recap video, but it plays like a Hasina Muhammad highlight reel. She didn't consistently have games like this one this season. In fact, this might have been her best game of the season, but if she can get stronger and more consistent for her senior season, I expect you'll hear her name pop up on this thread more often. Right now, draftsite.com has her sitting at #11 in the first round. She's built sorta like a shorter version of Bonner but with stronger legs, and like Bonner, she likes to intercept those lazy passes at the top of the key for easy scores.

Oh, and there's something else. Make sure you watch past the 2:00 mark.
Laimbeer, I see you nodding off. Pay attention in class!

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ebgIHE3l8-o?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

unfortunately, she has been hurt for most of the season but had to play because of the lack of experienced players on auburn team this year. I think it was back problems. Hopefully she heals during the summer. She a had a very good sophomore season last year. She is incredibly athletic and can jump out of the gym. Doesnt really seek contact and will need to get stronger. But maybe she is the same case as Bonner and will never bulk up. I would love to see her having impact in the wnba!

The first time I read this I thought it was from an Auburn fan. How do you know do much about Hasina, fanaticka? She is definitely not Americhunky. Smile

Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 09/24/14 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@Shades, no, nurse. I've heard it multiple places, I think Swish Appeal, MAYBE here. I've heard it multiple times. The reason I did @Shades is because quote thing never works for me Sad

PostPosted: 09/24/14 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12, make sure "Always allow BBCode" is set to Yes in your profile!

Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 09/25/14 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:

THANK YOU! Laughing

PostPosted: 09/25/14 3:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
fanaticka wrote:

unfortunately, she has been hurt for most of the season but had to play because of the lack of experienced players on auburn team this year. I think it was back problems. Hopefully she heals during the summer. She a had a very good sophomore season last year. She is incredibly athletic and can jump out of the gym. Doesnt really seek contact and will need to get stronger. But maybe she is the same case as Bonner and will never bulk up. I would love to see her having impact in the wnba!

The first time I read this I thought it was from an Auburn fan. How do you know do much about Hasina, fanaticka? She is definitely not Americhunky. Smile

I am an Auburn fan. I started following them in 2007 after I got back from my high school exchange program when one of my HS teammates from that year went on to play for them. Then I picked up more college teams to follow and the WNBA when Bonner graduated. Now, I am just a fan of wbb in general and I have nobody to talk to about it b/c no one really knows anything about overseaswbb, not even basktball players Wink

Randy

PostPosted: 09/25/14 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
sigur3 wrote:

THANK YOU! Laughing

Me too.

I'll have to see if Auburn plays locally anytime this year.

ClayK

PostPosted: 09/25/14 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elizabeth Williams as a nurse is interesting, because over the years the story has consistently been that she's a top-notch student and wants to be a doctor.

If a nurse is truly her career goal, then the likelihood of her playing professional basketball goes up, I think, because she won't have to spend so many years training. But becoming a doctor will take many years, and though Williams could offset the cost by playing pro basketball, it would delay her entry into medical school by a considerable amount of time.

PostPosted: 09/25/14 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Elizabeth Williams as a nurse is interesting, because over the years the story has consistently been that she's a top-notch student and wants to be a doctor.

If a nurse is truly her career goal, then the likelihood of her playing professional basketball goes up, I think, because she won't have to spend so many years training. But becoming a doctor will take many years, and though Williams could offset the cost by playing pro basketball, it would delay her entry into medical school by a considerable amount of time.

I never heard doctor. Weird.

PostPosted: 09/25/14 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Here's an interview with Williams after her freshman year at Duke.
At that point it sounded like the plan was to play ball for "a lil bit" and then do med school.

http://ladyswish.blogspot.com/2012/05/everything-you-didnt-know-about-dukes.html?m=1

Mysticsfan12

PostPosted: 09/25/14 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

At that point it sounded like the plan was to play ball for "a lil bit" and then do med school.

http://ladyswish.blogspot.com/2012/05/everything-you-didnt-know-about-dukes.html?m=1

Ok, thanks. Smile

PostPosted: 09/26/14 2:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="ArtBest23"]
Shades wrote:

Don't forget Rebecca Greenwell and Jannah Tucker, both of whom were ranked in the Top 8 in the 2013 class (and both are 6'+ guards) and Leticia Romero. I would say at this point, 2015 lacks star power and depth, 2016 has the star power but not the depth, 2017 has the depth but not the star power (Kaela Davis is probably #1 as of now, and Alexis Jones is still a lottery pick), and 2018 looks to have both.

larmarch5

PostPosted: 09/29/14 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mysticsfan12 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Ok, thanks. Smile

From GoDuke.com, she's majoring in Psychology. But, in most places, the undergrad degree can be a variety of majors for anyone planning to be an MD, right? http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205184467

sammieee

PostPosted: 09/29/14 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

larmarch5 wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:
Shades wrote:
Mysticsfan12 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Ok, thanks. Smile

From GoDuke.com, she's majoring in Psychology. But, in most places, the undergrad degree can be a variety of majors for anyone planning to be an MD, right? http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205184467

Yes, all you need to do is take the core classes that are required. I knew someone who majored in philosophy (while taking tons of chemistry/biology classes) as an undergrad, and went straight to med school.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 7 of 57

Jump to: