pilight

PostPosted: 09/06/21 7:12 am    ::: ROY Reply Reply with quote

Monday Poll time!

PostPosted: 09/06/21 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Starting my campaign

Didi Richards for all rookie team

Onyenwere, Collier and McDonald have three of the 5 spots

the last two spots are between Guarantes, Evans, Richards and Carrington

She has the least points at 2.4 along with Carrington compare to 3.0 for Evans and 3.4 for Guarantes but she has the most assists tied with Evans .9 and the most rebounds tied with Guarantes 1.1 the most steals at .5
(Yes all of those stats are embarrassing for an all rookie team but that is what we are looking at this season).

But without any hard evidence I will say she has the greatest impact of the rookies in question and will go further and say that she even has more impact on the floor than Collier or McDonald.

Obviously this is a little tongue and cheek considering how bad this class has played out (so far) but I am serious

DiDi for All Rookie Team!!!

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/06/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didi Richards.❤️❤️❤️❤️

PostPosted: 09/07/21 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richards has the second best FG% (behind Collier) and best 3P% among rookies

PostPosted: 09/07/21 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plus she's the only rookie in a commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY15xG6UfVQ[/url]

root_thing

PostPosted: 09/07/21 10:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Head coaches vote for the all-rookie team. They have more appreciation for defense than journalists, so that will help Richards. Didi has also played significantly more minutes than Guirantes, Evans, and Carrington. With so many rookies barely getting off the bench, just visibility alone will give Richards a boost. She is also playing her best basketball as the season ends, so recency bias favors Didi.

PostPosted: 09/07/21 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Plus she's the only rookie in a commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY15xG6UfVQ[/url]

Thanks for sharing this video. I love it!❤️❤️❤️

PostPosted: 09/07/21 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think you really need the campaign. Especially as her useful stretch has come near the end of the year, Richards will be in. Guirantes and Evans have basically done nothing all year, and are only in this discussion because they've occasionally actually played.

It's a shame there aren't any of those random second-chance players making a roster for the first time this year after developing overseas (someone like Crystal Bradford, if she hadn't played half a season before being cut the first time around). A player like that or some international player in their 30s would deserve a spot more than whoever actually sneaks in this year. Collier's had a terrible rookie season and is basically a lock anyway.

PostPosted: 09/07/21 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Collier's had a terrible rookie season and is basically a lock anyway.

If Collier got her minutes up these last two weeks she could still win ROY. Onyenwere hasn't been setting the world on fire. She's the favorite because she's played the most.

PostPosted: 09/07/21 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know this is unrelated to the above discussion but something to watch for next season is the number of 2021 rookies that get waived next season.

PostPosted: 09/07/21 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Quote:
Collier's had a terrible rookie season and is basically a lock anyway.

If Collier got her minutes up these last two weeks she could still win ROY. Onyenwere hasn't been setting the world on fire. She's the favorite because she's played the most.

Partly, but also because she's had a positive impact on the floor (at times). Dallas have consistently been worse whenever Collier's played. She's fallen out of the rotation because Vickie Johnson finally realised that she had five better options to play inside most of the time. I know the voting for Rookie of the Year tends to be very basic and stat-oriented, but Collier should have to look like the freaking MVP over the last two weeks to win RotY.

I'm not going to be hugely surprised if Aari McDonald gets a few RotY votes, but anyone voting for Collier hasn't been watching many games.

PostPosted: 09/07/21 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
I know this is unrelated to the above discussion but something to watch for next season is the number of 2021 rookies that get waived next season.

Whoever makes the All-Rookie Team this year (if we really have to have one) probably is safe at least another year. Other than that, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the rest of the then-sophomores next year fail to make a roster, barring substantial improvement overseas.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/09/21 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why the 2021 draft class has struggled to make an impact

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/32171479

Quote:
The 2021 draft wasn't expected to be strong; WNBA coaches and general managers all but guaranteed that when asked about it before the draft.

PostPosted: 09/09/21 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
The 2021 draft wasn't expected to be strong; WNBA coaches and general managers all but guaranteed that when asked about it before the draft.

Quote:
The 6-foot forward and former UCLA Bruin is a part of the Liberty's turnaround from a dreadful 2-20 last-place season in 2020

That’s a bit hyperbolic considering they brought in vet starters Howard, Laney, and Whitcomb, and now have a healthy Ionescu.

Quote:
to being on track for their first playoff berth since 2017.

Are they on track, or is that Liberty train going to be derailed?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 09/09/21 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
The 6-foot forward and former UCLA Bruin is a part of the Liberty's turnaround from a dreadful 2-20 last-place season in 2020

That’s a bit hyperbolic considering they brought in vet starters Howard, Laney, and Whitcomb, and now have a healthy Ionescu.

I mean, Onyenwere literally is a part of the Liberty's turnaround – she's still starting, after all. The article didn't call it a "big" part, and certainly didn't imply that it was either, considering this sentence one paragraph down from that one:

Quote:
But she has earned Rookie of the Year by default because no one has really challenged her.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 09/09/21 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I say the following as a Liberty fan. New York has lost six in a row, nine of out 10, and definitely could lose its last three games. So if there was a "turnaround" since 2020, then I'd say that the "turnaround" has turned around again.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: