RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A'ja Wilson commits to South Carolina
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RP

PostPosted: 04/16/14 2:52 pm    ::: A'ja Wilson commits to South Carolina Reply Reply with quote

And trending on Twitter!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/16/14 2:56 pm    ::: Re: A'ja Wilson commits to South Carolina Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
And trending on Twitter!

It seems so anti-climatic picking S. Carolina.

I hate to sound cynical, but after I saw the announcement, the thought crossed my mind of whether she was ever serious about going anywhere else.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/16/14 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big surprise Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/16/14 3:25 pm    ::: Re: A'ja Wilson commits to South Carolina Reply Reply with quote

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!! Here's to more competitive Championship Games in the future!!!!

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/16/14 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SC is going to be very good. Hopefully she can add to it.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/16/14 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adding White and Wilson to the very impressive front line that S. Carolina already had leads me to think that they will have the best front line in the country.

The question remains guards, and while I thought Cuevas might solve that problem, after watching her play completely out of control in the McDonald's game, (and seeing how short she is), I'm not so sure. I certainly don't think she'll be the solution as a freshman. Whether she grows into it with some serious coaching is another issue.

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/16/14 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If they can get PGs to take care of ball and play D, which Sessions played solid minutes last year, I think Ibiam and Welch as Seniors with youth in Wilson, White, Coates (Soph) is seriously strong frontcourt. Don't lose site of that Guard Tiffany Mitchell (Jr.) was just named SEC player of year and a WBCA All American as a Soph. Dozier is big guard that is a rising Junior. It will be interesting.

ArtBest23 wrote:
Adding White and Wilson to the very impressive front line that S. Carolina already had leads me to think that they will have the best front line in the country.

The question remains guards, and while I thought Cuevas might solve that problem, after watching her play completely out of control in the McDonald's game, (and seeing how short she is), I'm not so sure. I certainly don't think she'll be the solution as a freshman. Whether she grows into it with some serious coaching is another issue.

Last edited by thefutureisbright on 04/16/14 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 04/16/14 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's bringing her talents to South C

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/16/14 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really surprised.

NOT.

PostPosted: 04/16/14 4:15 pm    ::: Re: A'ja Wilson commits to South Carolina Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!! Here's to more competitive Championship Games in the future!!!!

Yeah...fantastic...

PostPosted: 04/16/14 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Cuevas reminds me a lot of Sammy Prahalis. I'm not expecting her to start, but she can actually stretch a defense and handle the ball, so she should play quite a bit.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/16/14 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Cuevas reminds me a lot of Sammy Prahalis. I'm not expecting her to start, but she can actually stretch a defense and handle the ball, so she should play quite a bit.

Regarding the "handle the ball", I thought she looked like a turnover machine. She actually lost it and had it taken away from her quite a few times in that game.

noleman

PostPosted: 04/16/14 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
RP wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Regarding the "handle the ball", I thought she looked like a turnover machine. She actually lost it and had it taken away from her quite a few times in that game.

She had 3 TO's. I really wouldn't say TO machine especially with how sloppy both teams were playing in the first half(If anything i thought Middleton was the TO Machine). I thought Cuevas was decent but like most of the other players, will have to work on shot selection.

I think SC would be really good if they added some shooters. The way UNC play off of Sessions is the tourny was almost disrespectful. Maybe cuevas can come off the bench and knock some long ones down.

And extremely glad Shakayla Thomas didn't go there. I believe she said that was her 2nd choice after FSU.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 04/16/14 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

At the McDonald's AA game, Cuevas when interviewed by ESPN told the interviewer she told Dawn Staley she doesn't play defense. Hellooooo Mr. Bench.

PostPosted: 04/16/14 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awesome! Glad she isn't going to UConn.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/16/14 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A'ja Wilson would have developed into a floor running, inside-outside superstar at UConn, but going to South Carolina is likely much better for her situation and for the competitiveness of the sport as a whole.

As to Bianca Cuevas, I've seen her many, many times in person since the eighth grade, and I think she may be the most talented shooting point guard to come out of New York City since Sue Bird. Cuevas has never had much coach or school stability -- Apache Paschall having moved schools and then died -- and I think Dawn Staley is exactly the right person to tame and shape her natural shooting and passing gifts.

I expect the Gamecocks to be strong Final Four contenders the next three years.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/14 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10792533/women-college-basketball-aja-wilson-decision-big-win-dawn-staley-south-carolina-gamecocks

Quote:
If the top-ranked girls' basketball recruit of the 2014 senior class had picked the Huskies, those currently suffering from a severe case of UConn fatigue might have needed ambulance service to the nearest emergency room.

PostPosted: 04/16/14 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
A'ja Wilson would have developed into a floor running, inside-outside superstar at UConn....

....like Houston, or Delle Donne, or...no, wait.... Shocked there's a guarantee that's hard to prove: "floor-running, inside-outside superstars" don't *need* UConn any more than UConn needs any more of them. Wink

GlennMacGrady wrote:
....but going to South Carolina is likely much better for her situation and for the competitiveness of the sport as a whole.
Now THAT'S a mouthful of Truth. Cool

PostPosted: 04/16/14 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm excited to see A'ja next season, she should get to play on the wing and at 6'5 will be fun to watch like Stewart, Parker and Delle Donne. After reading more about her the past few days it sounds like she can be a legit 3, but unlike Stewart and Parker she was a guard at one time who just happen to get taller, sounds like Anthony Davis. Rebounding seems to be one of her best skills, lead team USA also had 17 in the full court all star game, wonder if she will be able to keep that up from the wing I'm sure Dawn will want her to.
Howee

PostPosted: 04/16/14 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10792533/women-college-basketball-aja-wilson-decision-big-win-dawn-staley-south-carolina-gamecocks

Quote:
If the top-ranked girls' basketball recruit of the 2014 senior class had picked the Huskies, those currently suffering from a severe case of UConn fatigue might have needed ambulance service to the nearest emergency room.

Laughing Laughing I LOVE Voepel. Laughing Laughing

This decision, by the way, was the Best News of The Week, imo; the only way it could have been better is if she'd have opted to play for Stanford or Oklahoma. (Whatt!? One can dream, right? Razz )

PostPosted: 04/16/14 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

noleman wrote:

She had 3 TO's. I really wouldn't say TO machine especially with how sloppy both teams were playing in the first half(If anything i thought Middleton was the TO Machine). I thought Cuevas was decent but like most of the other players, will have to work on shot selection.

Having watched that game several times and looking at the stats, I have to wonder who was the scorekeeper. Seems to be little correlation between reality and the box score.

Maybe they don't want anyone looking bad in the stats. That's not the only head scratcher.

And defense isn't the only word Cuevas has never heard before. "Pass" is another one.

I have nothing against her. I actually had thought she would fill a major hole for S.Car. Based on what I had read about her before hand, I was looking forward to watching her, and was pretty shocked by her performance. Staley has her work cut out for her, and I doubt that work will be finished in the next 12 months.

ridor

PostPosted: 04/17/14 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
At the McDonald's AA game, Cuevas when interviewed by ESPN told the interviewer she told Dawn Staley she doesn't play defense. Hellooooo Mr. Bench.

Not necessary. TAMU Head Coach Gary Blair once told the press that he always recruited players who knew how to play offense, he does not care if these players do not know how to play defense. Why? Because Gary said he prefers to TEACH defense to his players from day one on his own so that they can be effective defensive players under his tutelage.

And knowing Dawn Staley since she was a senior at Dobbins Tech HS, that is what Staley would wanted as well. Staley wanted her players to come in with offense-minded but let her and her assistants teach the players how to defend effectively in the long run.

R-

ridor

PostPosted: 04/17/14 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The angry comments by UConn on ESPN comment sections are hysterical.

I mean, they just won 9th national championships and they already wished the worst things for South Carolina? One hoped that SC won't win a game next season. Other promised that SC will never win a natty. And so on.

Only two weeks after winning the natty, some UConn fans were so shocked that they could not snag A'ja Wilson. The truth hurts: In addition to being home in Columbia, A'ja wanted to play at SEC school that has strong non-conference schedule ... and strong conference schedule with up-and-coming coaches.

UConn does not provide *that* as long as they are stuck in the AAC. And that is GOOD for ALL OF US!

R-

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/14 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
"floor-running, inside-outside superstars" don't *need* UConn any more than UConn needs any more of them. Wink

Howee, I realize you're making a good-natured poke, but there is some seriousness about my choice of words. I think Wilson is currently an average "floor-running, inside-outside" player, who is too arc-centric and lazy. However, her potential is obvious. Having watched UConn develop bigs for many years -- most recently Stefanie Dolson -- I'm confident that her potential could have been developed to superstardom at UConn.

It's possible the same can happen at SCar, but Staley plays a different offense than Geno and doesn't have his speed and passing at the guard spots . . . yet. I will be most interested in how Wilson develops at SCar, and she will surely be my favorite college freshman next season.

Art, you are reading an awful lot of negativity into 21 minutes played by Bianca Cuevas in a run and chuck all-star game. Even so, she scored six points, grabbed four rebounds, and had three assists to go with three turnovers. I can state confidently that Cuevas is a very good passer -- indeed, sometimes a "wow" hot dog passer -- but I wouldn't disagree that it may take two years for Staley to get Cuevas to refine her skills.

blaase22

PostPosted: 04/17/14 1:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was hoping she picked NC, she had a better chance at a title with them ( and UCONN obviously)

Don't see her coming close with Dawn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: