RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

vinyl flashback: the emotions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 01/30/05 1:46 pm    ::: vinyl flashback: the emotions Reply Reply with quote

it's fire-up-the-turntable day in the bibb house today, and we've now gone through a bunch of vinyl that, great music notwithstanding, sounds horribly tinny and shallow. (does anyone remember merry clayton? who later joined the tv cast of "cagney & lacey?" what a voice.)

now comes the emotions, the 1976 album "flowers." and the sound is remarkably full! due in no small part, no doubt, to having been produced by maurice white and charles stepney/kalimba productions. i am amazed. full base, resonance . . . remarkable.

here's something else i find interesting: the girls didn't even get named on the album. not directly, anyway. wanda hutchinson co-wrote five of the songs, and jeanette hawes co-wrote one. but poor sheila (who?) . . . she gets no last name. under the picture of the emotions, it says simply "jeanette, sheila, wanda." but all the players, mostly EW&F alum, get named. ain't that something?!

good stuff. still.

i don't wanna lose your love
me for you
you've got the right to know
we go through changes
special part
no plans for tomorrow
how can you stop loving someone
flowers
god will take care of you

(argh! i just heard a pop. ah, well . . .)

PostPosted: 01/30/05 1:54 pm    ::: Re: vinyl flashback: the emotions Reply Reply with quote

I saw the Emotions perform about ten years ago at a little auditorium at a Community College south of L.A. The show as sort of a musical/play about the history of the group. Long story short - they had gotten burned out of their money.
Boy can they sing - STILL!

sambista

PostPosted: 01/30/05 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wow. burned by whom (i'm afraid to ask)?

now i'm on the more popular album with the more commercially successful tunes, "rejoice." but, interestingly, the technical quality isn't as good as it was for "flowers."

fame is fleeting, isn't it? i was poring over my stuff, what's left of it, and just look at the names that popped up, just among female vocalists:

syreeta
eloise laws
zuleema
maxaan
jean carn
tata vega
betty davis
angela bofill

the list of one-album groups would go on forever.

PostPosted: 01/30/05 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merry Clayton!...wow, if memory serves, she was the background vocalist on the Stones " Gimme Shelter"...incredible voice!

/...where's my headphones?

8^)

stever

PostPosted: 01/30/05 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bibb...ya' know what makes me feel really old...when I watch Saturday Night Live(occasionally) and realize Maya Rudolph is Minnie Rippertons' daughter!

/was lucky enough to see Minnie live in 197...?...don't remember

8^)

sambista

PostPosted: 01/30/05 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you 'n me both, stever. i got to interview minnie in '76 or '77 - can't remember, could've been a bit earlier. what i do remember is that i was very, VERY green, hadn't done my homework and she was annoyed with me because of it. that was the last time i went to an interview unprepared. that woman could give you a glare that'd make your blood run cold!

minnie's among the ones who endured (even in death), and i've got vinyl of her, along with tons of stephanie mills and others who did better than that first group i listed.

i also didn't know merry was the one on "gimme shelter." one of my favorite clayton tunes, besides her rendition of "room 205," is "when the world turns blue," which has been done a few times by her with joe sample, and sample by himself.

sigh! i'm really tripping down memory lane today.

PostPosted: 01/30/05 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okay, final indulgence . . .

mel brown, "i'd rather suck my thumb," 1969. one of maybe only three blues albums i have. all for the 11-minute tune, "eighteen pounds of unclean chitlings."

flick your bics in cyberspace if you know what i'm talkin' about.

on a message board for impulse! records, posters said this:

Please, please, please re-release Mel Brown's "I'd rather Suck My Thumb"! The world can not be denied any longer the pure genius and musical exquisiteness of this rare, forlorned album! Please, consider this re-issue!

please reissue i'd rather suck my thumb. thanx!

Hallelujah Amen Brothuh!

about time you guys reissued this on CD!

PostPosted: 01/31/05 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Bibb...ya' know what makes me feel really old...when I watch Saturday Night Live(occasionally) and realize Maya Rudolph is Minnie Rippertons' daughter!

8^)

The song "Lovin' You" was a lullabye for Maya. You can hear her singing to her baby at the end of the song, "Maya, Maya, Maya."

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
sambista

PostPosted: 01/31/05 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smoovie wrote:
stever wrote:

8^)

The song "Lovin' You" was a lullabye for Maya. You can hear her singing to her baby at the end of the song, "Maya, Maya, Maya."

but what about "and every time that we . . . (fill in the blank) . . . i'm so in love with you"

PostPosted: 01/31/05 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
Smoovie wrote:
stever wrote:

8^)

but what about "and every time that we . . . (fill in the blank) . . . i'm so in love with you"

I guess it depends on what you fill in the blank with

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: