RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Super Bowl XLVIII
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 02/03/14 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
(AP) -- Bruno Mars brought millions of fans into the club with a command performance during the Super Bowl halftime show Sunday.

The Grammy Award-winning singer translated his high-energy live show to the largest of stages, carrying off his hits with a smoking hot live band while managing to seamlessly integrate the Red Hot Chili Peppers into the set.

Tell us on Facebook: What did you think of the show?

There was some concern Mars might not be able to hold up to the pressure of the assignment, but the 28-year-old wiped away the questions immediately. Dressed in a gold jacket, he executed a note-perfect drum solo as he rode across the field on a raised platform. Once on stage, he delivered hits like "Locked Out of Heaven" and "Treasure" with a machismo that made it clear he wasn't lip-syncing.

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=850380

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/03/14 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Mars' 12-minute display exuded a friendliness and ease so winning, it made the edginess or cool of some past Super Bowl stars irrelevant. More, the performance wore its sources well, doubling as a history lesson in song. The songs Mars offered represented a virtual pop nexus of the last 40 years, touching on bouncy '60s Motown, fun '70s disco funk, slick '80s pop and a hint of modern hip-hop-flash. At one point, he referenced James Brown's fast-footed dance moves.

Quote:
For his finale, Mars downshifted into his hyper-romantic hit "Just the Way You Are," broken up by cameos from American troops offering shout-outs to loved ones from overseas.

The move underscored Mars' role as pop's nice-guy, a family-friendly entertainer enlivened by just the right amount of flash.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/super-bowl-halftime-show-star-bruno-mars-brings-old-school-showmanship-article-1.1599911#ixzz2sGGmpO4X

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/03/14 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Two stunts marked the opening of his halftime performance, one slightly less nauseating than the other. It began with a childrens choir and segued into a drum solo performed by Bruno himself. (His lookalike brother, Eric Hernandez Mars was born Peter Gene Hernandez took over soon after). But then it was time to break out the gold jackets and skinny ties and launch into Locked Out of Heaven. His jumbo band of brass, backup singers and bass put the song across nicely. Not only that, but when they broke into Treasure, the synchronized dance moves provided a moment straight out of the Platters, circa 1966.

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/02/02/bruno-mars-injects-soul-into-the-super-bowl-halftime-show/#ixzz2sGI71E3p

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/03/14 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Many Super Bowl viewers may not have made the connection between Mars' image and his music before Sunday night, but for anyone who has turned on a radio in the past four years, he's been inescapable.

In an era where pop-music celebrities often are best-known for their outrageous style and outsized personalities, Mars is a musician's' musician, a bandleader and a true showman, the kind of entertainer with an appeal that can cross generations.

Mars may not have been the biggest entertainer the Super Bowl has booked, but he came in with something to prove. He probably left with his Moonshine Jungle world tour, which goes on sale Monday, being a hotter ticket than this year's game.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2014/02/02/bruno-mars-super-bowl-halftime-performance-review/5163161/

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/03/14 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
He added a touch of nostalgia as well, paying tribute to his late mother, Bernadette Hernandez, with the drum kit he played on that was designed to honor her.

Before the big show, Mars told reporters he had no pre-performance jitters, saying, "I ain't scared if that's what you think."

"Spectacle-wise? I don't do trapeze and all that stuff," he continued. "I hope to get people dancing and smiling. If you ever come to one of my shows, it's just us up there. We've got these songs and our instruments and I'm hoping that's enough."'

And it was.

http://www.eonline.com/news/506508/bruno-mars-rocks-the-super-bowl-halftime-show-with-the-red-hot-chili-peppers

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/03/14 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
So on Sunday night in New Jersey, Mars sang for the biggest audience of his life alongside the Red Hot Chili Peppers when he should have and easily could have done it on his own.

How confident was the 28-year-old pop sensation ? Confident enough to kick the entire thing off with a drum solo. From there, he was as charismatic as he was physical, channeling Stings sense of melody during Locked Out of Heaven and James Browns hamstrings during Runaway Baby. And somewhere in the middle of it all, the Chili Peppers materialized to romp through their 1991 hit Give It Away.

Quote:
That made their choice to book Mars feel both risky and refreshing. Closing the set with his croony ballad, Just the Way You Are, Mars wore a triumphant smile, seemingly aware he was a risk well worth taking.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/02/02/super-bowl-halftime-review-bruno-mars-shines-in-his-big-moment/

scullyfu

PostPosted: 02/03/14 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CONGRATS TO SEATTLE SEAHAWKS! so proud of you all. way to represent for the city and fans.

TonyL222

PostPosted: 02/03/14 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't get the Bruno Mars haters. Kid was Great!! He's an old soul in a young man's body. Pulls from Jame's Brown, Prince, MJ.

Thoughts on this commercial? Seems there's some conservative backlash (anyone surprised):

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/02/coke-super-bowl/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/443Vy3I0gJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I LOVE the concept, love the diversity, ambivalent about the different languages. America is different peoples, different cultures, ONE nation. There needs to be something that unifies and an "official" language doesn't take away from anyone's heritage. Don't lose your native/ethnic language, but I'm okay with English being THE official language. Just my 2 cents.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/03/14 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's a great commercial. If you want English to be your official language, go back to England.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/03/14 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seemed like the usual corporate schlock to me. Look how diverse we are. Woohoo. How come all the "critical" lyrics were sung in English?

Maybe if they sang "America, America, allah shed his light on thee" I would think differently of it. Nah.

The best ad imo, was the Tebow spot. (i was not a supporter/defender of Tebow during his NFL career).

Is there any non-Seahawk fan smiling larger than Tebow?

PostPosted: 02/03/14 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think any commercial that can start the racist right foaming at the mouth has done its job admirably. The lack of an official language is one of the great things about America.

With that being said, my official commercial list:

Best

VW's Engineer Get's Its Wings
Hilarious and on point to what they are known for. Though I think they missed an opportunity at the end with the Rainbows... It would have been hilarious to cut to a scene with two engineers sitting in the car and have rainbow colors wafting up out from behind one of them as the other gives a look of exasperated disgust. Kind of a "I can't believe you did that in the car"...

Radio Shack's 80s Called
I love it when companies make fun of themselves, and the parade of 80s icons was outstanding.

Doberhuahua
If a commercial actually makes me spit my beer in laughter it wins. When the hell-dog attacked Sarah Mclachlan...epic.

Honorable Mention
-Bob Saget crashing Stamos' commercial
-Doritos Time Machine
-Coke's America The Beautiful

Most Disappointing

Bud Light's "Whatever" Spot
With that much time and that much of a budget it could have been amazing. Instead, it was pretty dull. They should have done so much better with that concept.

Most Overrated

Budweiser's Puppy Love
You would have to be dead inside to not feel something watching this commercial. And that is the problem. It was nothing more than sentiment. It said nothing about the product, and there was nothing clever about it. Put a puppy and a horse on the screen together and win. While sentiment is fine for normal commercials, for the Super Bowl companies should be shooting higher.

Worst

Slow Clap
Sometimes it's just best to let long dead cliches stay dead. The slow clap wasn't really all that clever when it was new.

Axe Body Spray
I found this as tacky as the body spray itself. Images of war reduced to a marketing ploy. If somehow Axe was doing something to help end the atrocities, then alright. But I fail to see how having more people smell like the pungent aroma of bad body spray will do this.

Ellen Dancing
Really? I'm sure there are Ellen fans who would have enjoyed this, but for someone who is neutral on her it was just a dumb commercial.

Best Non-Super Bowl Commercial

Newcastle's Mega Huge Game Day Ad
I had to give a special category for this as it lampoons the inability to use certain words in your commercial if you are not an NFL sponsor. It stars Anna Kendrick and its effect is hilarious:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9g9wXBkdWEg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 02/03/14 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I think it's a great commercial. If you want English to be your official language, go back to England.

I've never been to England - and what a stupid comment. If that were a requirement, then you should stop speaking it (and I also thought the commercial was great).

cthskzfn wrote:
Seemed like the usual corporate schlock to me. Look how diverse we are. Woohoo. How come all the "critical" lyrics were sung in English?

Maybe if they sang "America, America, allah shed his light on thee" I would think differently of it. Nah.

The best ad imo, was the Tebow spot. (i was not a supporter/defender of Tebow during his NFL career).

Is there any non-Seahawk fan smiling larger than Tebow?

Of course they are ALL commercials and meant to serve the corporate need of the advertiser. No mistaking that. I liked the Tebow spot, too.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/03/14 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't sambista invent the slow-clap? Or has it always just felt that way? To. Me. Hmm.

Umm. Is it okay if I still hate on the Chile Peppers? Since Bruno Mars is obviously off limits. Rolling Eyes

Missed the Coke commercial but I used to love the whole Coke commercial world-love oeuvre, as did everyone before there was such a powerful public voice as the evil right wing response. Love a multicultural and (the thought of) a multilingual US. But I'm starting to wonder about something. I think there's now a thing a response to the response that has developed in this country and in the media and it's seated, of course, on the left. It like takes this entire giant swath of American opinion and feeling and just wraps it up into one evil package of small-minded bigotry, etc. Because it's represented politically by scoundrels. The loudest voices are the most stupid and offensive, etc.

But there's a giant roiling segment of the population in America with maybe more nuanced gripes and concerns which create leanings that reflect who they are, where they are, and what they're experiencing in this America. And now it seems we've just written them all off - who knows? maybe half the freaking country - and whatever it is they think or believe as being unworkable and even unthinkable.

I saw an article last night that, in the title, just went off on the outrageous racists and xenophobic horror of the twitter response to the Coke ad. And then, lol, they quoted these MILD grumbling Tweets. Shocked I'm sure they couldn't print the much worse ones that were tweeted but still if you're writing an article damning mouth-breathers you have to do better than something that sounds like a grumpy grandpa.

The response to the response to Richard Sherman. No. There really is a lot of shit you can't say about Richard Sherman. No quibble with that. But you can't say the guy's an asshole? You can't say fuck him, I don't like that? Really? The push back against the very idea of anyone saying anything negative about Richard Sherman was SCARY.

Anyway. Sorry to delve into other things in the Super Bowl thread but I didn't bring up the controversies about the commercials. I just feel that there's this giant left leaning presence in the online media, and that should be a great thing, except that just as they always have the left is too often fighting the wrong fights because it makes them feel good and is easy. And they're by and large privileged individuals themselves picking off the low hanging fruit put out there by a MASSIVELY less privileged and unenlightened American populace.

I'm just saying. These people have viewpoints as well. I may not like 95% of them. Their real gripes may come to be represented or end up being mischanneled into something about English only bullshit or Richard Sherman yelling at them but while clever dudes from rich families have jobs writing about cultural issues on the internet the rest of the country, the middle and working classes, are experiencing America in a free fall.

Am I the only one who feels like the politically correct has declared war on half of America or has created or expanded what were once tactics used to marginalize individuals, fellow students or professors back in the day who offended their emerging world views to sort of take over and wage a fight against every unacceptable public outburst that comes across on Twitter or goes viral in some other way? Condemn and vilify.

So I don't know, Justin. Racist right foaming at the mouth and all that wonderfully easy imagery. Americans have fears. Those fears are almost always characterized as being based on ignorance. Honestly. I don't think that's always the case. Fears are often based on ignorance but many fears are not based on ignorance and are perfectly valid and are often based on experience, personal and cultural.

The language paranoia has a reason behind it. It represents something else entirely. It comes from a working and lower class segment of the American population that has truly experienced a loss of jobs to Mexican or hispanic immigrants to the US who don't by and large speak much English. It's about job loss and the economic impact of that and the language issue is just a representative resentment. In California, that same cheap labor base often seems like the engine of the entire state's perceived opulence. (Okay, scratch perceived.)

But people take that resentment of their fellow Americans who are being squeezed out economically and know it largely by people who don't speak English and aren't from here and they vilify these people and even ridicule them for it. They're so ignorant. Mouth breathers. Racists. Xenophobes. Hahaha.

It's just not all that helpful I guess is my point.

PostPosted: 02/03/14 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
The response to the response to Richard Sherman. No. There really is a lot of shit you can't say about Richard Sherman. No quibble with that. But you can't say the guy's an asshole? You can't say fuck him, I don't like that? Really? The push back against the very idea of anyone saying anything negative about Richard Sherman was SCARY.

Anyway. Sorry to delve into other things in the Super Bowl thread but I didn't bring up the controversies about the commercials. I just feel that there's this giant left leaning presence in the online media, and that should be a great thing

Like I've told you 80 kazillion times, left wingers are not big fans of free speech. Never have been, never will be. They're never happier than when they are regulating what you can and cannot say. Orwell's Newspeak was borne from this anti-free-speech sentiment (albeit from outright communists, who are slightly further left than the people you're referring to).

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/03/14 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To try to qualify people who are intolerant of intolerance as being against "free speech" is quite disingenuous. Without a doubt, people take the whole "politically correct" thing too far, but taking a stand against hateful beliefs (no matter what the source of them) is not a bad thing.

When people say things that marginalize or denegrate a portion of the population--whether it be out of hatred, ignorance, lack of awareness, or just an expression of honest belief--it is essential that others take a stand against it. It is not the act of speaking that is wrong, it is the belief behind it that people rile against.

Quote:
So I don't know, Justin. Racist right foaming at the mouth and all that wonderfully easy imagery. Americans have fears. Those fears are almost always characterized as being based on ignorance. Honestly. I don't think that's always the case. Fears are often based on ignorance but many fears are not based on ignorance and are perfectly valid and are often based on experience, personal and cultural.

Very few people hate others for no reason at all. Racism, sexism, homophobia...all of it typically gets it's base in real, honest fear. However, when it is processed as racism, et al, it becomes unhealthy and contrary to the idea of community.

Language is a very powerful ideological tool. The words we use shape our realities, and when we start to demand that others drop their identities to conform to the identity of the majority, we are lesser for it. The Post-Colonial author/philosopher Frantz Fanon deals with this issue a lot in his work Black Skin, White Masks. One of the dangers he notes is how on his native Martinique, after the French colonized the land how important it was to learn french and sound "white". That it became the language of the "educated" and to get ahead that was the language you needed to know. But he also noted how as the language changed so did the world view of the people. As they adopted the language of the imperialists, their old identities fell away and those clinging to them were seen as lesser. His famous quote, hugely important to all post-modernists is To speak a language is to take on a world, a culture.

This is similar to the issue people took with Sherman. He didn't sound like others wanted him to sound, so it was inherently bad. Do people have a tendency to over-correct? Of course. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't examine the root cause of our objections. We watched an adrenaline filled athlete respond seconds after making the play of the game, the play that would send his team to the Super Bowl, and then expect him to be calm? It is fair to not like Sherman, but it is not fair to use words like "thug" which was not only inaccurate but when used to connote "angry black man", is racist.

PostPosted: 02/03/14 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I've never been to England - and what a stupid comment. If that were a requirement, then you should stop speaking it (and I also thought the commercial was great).

Speaking a language and requiring everyone to speak it are two very different things. We've never needed an official language before and we don't need one now.

Note that one of the languages used in the ad was a native American language.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/03/14 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

When people say things that marginalize or denegrate a portion of the population--whether it be out of hatred, ignorance, lack of awareness, or just an expression of honest belief--it is essential that others take a stand against it.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was doing.

PostPosted: 02/03/14 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
justintyme wrote:

When people say things that marginalize or denegrate a portion of the population--whether it be out of hatred, ignorance, lack of awareness, or just an expression of honest belief--it is essential that others take a stand against it.

Thank you! That's what I was doing.

And yes, what I was saying applies to people who use political correctness to an extreme. Not every person who believes that the US should have a national language is part of the racist right. However, those who took to social media with tweets about "learn English or GTFO" are expressing racist beliefs and should be met with outrage.

Though ever since I read your post I can't stop thinking about the Goobacks from South Park...

THEY TOOK OUR JERBS!

one of their best, imo.

PostPosted: 02/03/14 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers' performance attracted the largest audience in the history of Super Bowls, attracting 115.3 million viewers, Fox announced Monday, citing Nielsen data.

That figure surpasses the prior record of 114.0 million set by Madonna two years ago and the 110.8 million who tuned in to see Beyonce last year.

Mars sang "Give it Away" with the Peppers, executed James Brown dance moves and Police riffs and closed with his hit ballad "Just the Way You Are" at halftime of a blowout won by the Seattle Seahawks, 43-8. The game had an average viewing audience of 111.5 million viewers, the largest in history.

The final number was significantly higher than than 98.88 million viewers reported in the overnight ratings from Nielsen that measure the top 56 markets. It initially appeared Super Bowl XLVIII would be the fifth most-watched in history.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/events/super-bowl-2014/5893896/bruno-mars-super-bowl-halftime-show-ratings

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/03/14 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
However, those who took to social media with tweets about "learn English or GTFO" are expressing racist beliefs and should be met with outrage.

Right. So says someone who in debating this quotes the Post-Colonial author/philosopher Frantz Fanon Shocked and then later retells the mocking joke made by a cartoon ridiculing real people who think they've lost jobs to illegal immigrants who speak only Spanish. (Um a cartoon created by rich well educated white guys Randolph Severn Parker III, son of a geologist, and Matt Stone, the son of an economics professor and textbook author. NICE!)

You make very clear cogent erudite well-articulated arguments that indicate (like DNA evidence) a well-educated and probably not from the working poor or lower middle classes person. So help me. I am from the working classes.

I don't think people tweeting 'learn English or GTFO' for the reasons that I've suggested, reasons that are given absolutely no credence (mockingly not so) by politically correct media responders of the left online namely that the language issue is just an expression of resentment for people who feel, based on their real lives and experiences, that they're being impacted negatively by an influx of cheap labor from places like Mexico no doubt you've at least heard the story that those people are, as you put it, "expressing racist beliefs and should be met with outrage."

Why are you seeing only racism that YOU when you're not quoting from on high your Post-Colonial philosophers have to meet with YOUR outrage?

Look. I just think there's a few people over here who don't understand at all a whole swath of the country over there, what their lives and fears and realities are and what they're going through. But all of it nevertheless is something that has to be crushed whenever it rears its ugly head, crushed by people who by comparison come from much better circumstances and who actually enjoy, and have always enjoyed, ridiculing and generally rubbing other people's noses in the mud as kind of a smug self-satisfying sport.

PostPosted: 02/03/14 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
You make very clear cogent erudite well-articulated arguments that indicate (like DNA evidence) a well-educated and probably not from the working poor or lower middle classes person. So help me. I am from the working classes.

While I am not currently a member of the "working poor" and am fortunate enough to be highly educated, my background is definitely not one of privilege (other than having been born a white male). My father, like his father before him, was a farmer. And not one of those large corporate farms, but one of those work your ass off to barely make it by farms. While the self sufficiency of farming meant we were never in need, we definitely never had any extra.

Quote:
I don't think people tweeting 'learn English or GTFO' for the reasons that I've suggested, reasons that are given absolutely no credence (mockingly not so) by politically correct media responders of the left online namely that the language issue is just an expression of resentment for people who feel, based on their real lives and experiences, that they're being impacted negatively by an influx of cheap labor from places like Mexico no doubt you've at least heard the story that those people are, as you put it, "expressing racist beliefs and should be met with outrage."

As I noted before, racism seldom occurs in a vacuum. Very few people say or believe racist/sexist/homophobic things because they are hateful people at heart. They do it based upon a perceived impact upon their lives. The concerns begin due to honest fear, but instead of helpful discussion about the issues they are facing and rational thought about what is causing their troubles they lash out at an entire group of people who are only tangentially related to their fears. This lashing out is harmful to an equal society. That is why people take a stand against it.

What you are describing here is also at the root of many racist beliefs. It's also why the South fought so hard against northerners telling them they had to give up their slaves. The ending of slavery devastated the economy of the south and had a real impact upon the quality of their lives. But ultimately fear is not an excuse for hateful words anymore than hateful actions.

PostPosted: 02/03/14 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Speaking a language and requiring everyone to speak it are two very different things. We've never needed an official language before and we don't need one now.

You have taken my comment WAY beyond what I said and seemed to have glossed over other things I did say. NOWHERE did I said everyone should be REQUIRED to do anything. I did say "....Don't lose your native/ethnic language...."

It's fair to say that English is already the un-official language of the US, and not having a good command of the language will severely limit your prospects for upward mobility. But if you are in the US and insist on speaking a different language or dialect on a job interview (where that language is not a job requirement), that's certainly your choice. But I see nothing wrong with saying that all federal documents, US highway signs, oaths for federal offices, etc. be in one common language.

Quote:
America is different peoples, different cultures, [but] ONE nation. There needs to be something that unifies...

....otherwise we are just a nation of individuals that live in close proximity

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/03/14 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I think any commercial that can start the racist right foaming at the mouth has done its job admirably. The lack of an official language is one of the great things about America.

With that being said, my official commercial list:

Best

VW's Engineer Get's Its Wings
Hilarious and on point to what they are known for. Though I think they missed an opportunity at the end with the Rainbows... It would have been hilarious to cut to a scene with two engineers sitting in the car and have rainbow colors wafting up out from behind one of them as the other gives a look of exasperated disgust. Kind of a "I can't believe you did that in the car"...

Radio Shack's 80s Called
I love it when companies make fun of themselves, and the parade of 80s icons was outstanding.

Doberhuahua
If a commercial actually makes me spit my beer in laughter it wins. When the hell-dog attacked Sarah Mclachlan...epic.

Honorable Mention
-Bob Saget crashing Stamos' commercial
-Doritos Time Machine
-Coke's America The Beautiful

Most Disappointing

Bud Light's "Whatever" Spot
With that much time and that much of a budget it could have been amazing. Instead, it was pretty dull. They should have done so much better with that concept.

Most Overrated

Budweiser's Puppy Love
You would have to be dead inside to not feel something watching this commercial. And that is the problem. It was nothing more than sentiment. It said nothing about the product, and there was nothing clever about it. Put a puppy and a horse on the screen together and win. While sentiment is fine for normal commercials, for the Super Bowl companies should be shooting higher.

Worst

Slow Clap
Sometimes it's just best to let long dead cliches stay dead. The slow clap wasn't really all that clever when it was new.

Axe Body Spray
I found this as tacky as the body spray itself. Images of war reduced to a marketing ploy. If somehow Axe was doing something to help end the atrocities, then alright. But I fail to see how having more people smell like the pungent aroma of bad body spray will do this.

Ellen Dancing
Really? I'm sure there are Ellen fans who would have enjoyed this, but for someone who is neutral on her it was just a dumb commercial.

Best Non-Super Bowl Commercial

Newcastle's Mega Huge Game Day Ad
I had to give a special category for this as it lampoons the inability to use certain words in your commercial if you are not an NFL sponsor. It stars Anna Kendrick and its effect is hilarious:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9g9wXBkdWEg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow. I guessed I missed a bunch of the ads. I may go back and take a serious look at them.

The Newcastle spot is great- their beer isn't. Smile

PostPosted: 02/04/14 5:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

smenko wrote:
Yeah I heard him say that and immediately turned to Computer Guy and said "well so much for the WNBA championship in the analogs of sports history with Fox."

It isn't just FOX. Watching CBS news at 4 this morning cst. Anne Marie Green. "It's the first championship for Seattle since 1979."

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
TonyL222

PostPosted: 02/04/14 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some comments from the WashPo article re Bruno Mars:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/02/02/super-bowl-halftime-review-bruno-mars-shines-in-his-big-moment/

Quote:
Definitely one of the best halftime shows ever. My personal desire for a halftime attraction on the most-watched TV show of the year is that it be a fun show appealing to the entire captive audience of families. NOT a concert with niche appeal to fans of the artist(s). If you want to see a concert of your fav hits, those artists are probably touring; go see them. For an audience of mixed age and background, halftime should offer a SHOW with broad appeal.

Quote:
It was the best halftime show I've ever seen. My only complaint is that it could have lasted about 10 minutes longer.

Quote:
I don't know Bruno Mars and only realized during the halftime show that I had previously heard one of his hits, but I think he knocked it out of the park. His energy and sheer joy in performing came through. Color me impressed and I will remember Bruno Mars going forward.

Funny how many are admitting they really didn't know who he was - but have been boppn' their heads to his tunes for years. Very happy for the young man!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: