RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The W Needs a Female Dennis Rodman?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YOOOOOOOOOO-Bekka

PostPosted: 10/24/05 6:06 am    ::: The W Needs a Female Dennis Rodman?! Reply Reply with quote

on america's black forum this evening there was a discussion on whether or not women in sports get any respect. james brown facillitated the discussion, which included alana beard, jackie joyner-kersee and dominique dawes...it was incredibly boring and one-dimensional...and everyone was being so polite when asked questions like "do you think that women get enough respect in sports?" or "where do you see the discrepency between women and men athletes"?...they were so polite and agreeable and passive that even james brown commented on it...

there was a black woman columnist [whose name escapes me] who was hilarious...tho she confused "feminity" and "feminism" [there was a BRIEF discussion about women who are decidedly "feminine" getting lots of endorsements while those who aren't seen as such lanquish], she said that what the wnba needed was some fire, someone to get things stirred up to make a splash in a national way...what the wnba needs, she argued, was a female dennis rodman!

i thought it was pretty funny...anyone else see it?

YOOOOOOOOOO-Bekka Twisted Evil

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 10/24/05 8:05 am    ::: Re: The W Needs a Female Dennis Rodman?! Reply Reply with quote

i think we already had a female dennis rodman. i think she played for the sparks. i think she's suing them now...

timber

PostPosted: 10/24/05 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't female Dennis Rodman kinda redundant anyway?

I saw the end of that show. There was a lot of talking going on but nothing was really said.

Keegan

PostPosted: 10/24/05 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn't Taurasi meant to make the national splash?

A Dennis Rodman type is quite unusual - a person with great talent and mental instability who managed to ward off other distractions enough to have a fruitful career in a team environment. Others aren't so lucky (see: Brandy Reed). I don't think the WNBA really needs one anyway - it'd be a cheap gimmick (but most media people like that sort of thing - so they can write an article about it and then they move on to chase another gimmick).
dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/24/05 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Keegan wrote:

But she didn't win. I think it was the winning that made her the poster child. She not only had the game, she had the championships. When Phoenix wasn't very good her rookie year it immediately tarnished the star.

YOOOOOOOOOO-Bekka

PostPosted: 10/24/05 7:22 pm    ::: Re: The W Needs a Female Dennis Rodman?! Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
i think we already had a female dennis rodman. i think she played for the sparks. i think she's suing them now...

Laughing i actually said this outloud while i was watching...except...she never got the exposure, the second-third-fourth chances or the acceptance of mr. rodman...so i guess she's not it, huh?

YOOOOOOOOOO-Bekka

PostPosted: 10/24/05 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Keegan wrote:

But she didn't win. I think it was the winning that made her the poster child. She not only had the game, she had the championships. When Phoenix wasn't very good her rookie year it immediately tarnished the star.

i agree with you but i don't think of taurasi in the same way as rodman [or even in the way that writer meant it]...certainly a bit of the shine has worn off the rose because they didn't win but taurasi still has legions of fans...and it wasn't 'simply' the winning that made her the poster child...it's her attitude/brashness, her marketability/'look' andher game...i expect taurasi to continue to be celebrated and trumpted as 'the best', no matter...however, she's not an anarchist or a stylistic marvel or a knucklehead or any of the things that would really shake up the w...her potty mouth notwithstanding...

hyperetic

PostPosted: 10/25/05 11:20 am    ::: one Dennis Rodman is enough Reply Reply with quote

Why is it these days that the more @#$%ed in the head you are and the crazier stunts you pull gets you so much press and adjulation? Is that what the WNBA needs, an over the top anti-hero who everyone can love to hate? Do we need a multi-colored mohawk wearing, tattooed, breast-baring, ass-less chaps wearing freak to get attention for the WNBA? Would it get them more respect? Don't get me wrong. Yes I think the ladies should be allowed their individuality and style. Go wild, have fun. I mean if the person I described was that way for real, I would grin and bear it because thats who they are but for a publicity stunt to get a few looky-loos to take a look at the league, naaah. I'd say it would not worth it.
hoopladreams

PostPosted: 10/25/05 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA doesn't need a female Rodman...at least not right now.

First we need a female Bird and Magic (iow, a captivating rivalry that sweeps up the entire nation).

Then we need a female MJ (iow, a captivating personality that has universal appeal across gender and age lines).

After we have that, then the league can sustain the antics of a female Rodman (but who really wants that anyway?).

If we had a female Rodman in the league now, that would just give the haters more of a reason to hate on the league. A league has to have a pretty strong foundation to survive Rodman-like antics. The WNBA isn't there yet.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/25/05 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YOOOOOOOOOO-Bekka wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Keegan wrote:

i agree with you but i don't think of taurasi in the same way as rodman [or even in the way that writer meant it]...certainly a bit of the shine has worn off the rose because they didn't win but taurasi still has legions of fans...and it wasn't 'simply' the winning that made her the poster child...it's her attitude/brashness, her marketability/'look' andher game...i expect taurasi to continue to be celebrated and trumpted as 'the best', no matter...however, she's not an anarchist or a stylistic marvel or a knucklehead or any of the things that would really shake up the w...her potty mouth notwithstanding...

Bill Laimbeer was a Bad Boy and when he and Michael Cooper faced off in 2003, it made for a lot of outside interest and highlight spots. Idea When BL and Thibault exchanged words, it made it on ESPN too... So any extra spice could definitely benefit the W... It's not dependent on it though.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 10/25/05 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When one of the arguably best players in the women's game poses nude for photos that benefit a charity, and the legions don't flock to the games, and find themselves impressed by that player's game and her team's championship run, then I can't think of any Rodmanesque antics that would help move the fan base along in the WNBA.

Outrageous stunts are not the answer; sick play on the court is.

PostPosted: 10/25/05 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
When one of the arguably best players in the women's game poses nude for photos that benefit a charity, and the legions don't flock to the games, and find themselves impressed by that player's game and her team's championship run, then I can't think of any Rodmanesque antics that would help move the fan base along in the WNBA.

Outrageous stunts are not the answer; sick play on the court is.

Well I believe the story would have been different if it were Sue Bird posing nude for photos that benefit a charity... Remember the publicity the story got when Sue agreed to the spanking bet? Shocked

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/25/05 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
Remember the publicity the story got when Sue agreed to the spanking bet? Shocked

Oh yeah, the public just couldn't get enough WNBA action after that happened. TV ratings went throught the roof, crowds could barely be contained by the small WNBA stadiums, and all of a sudden folks nationwide who had never even heard of the WNBA were tuning in, right?

I'm with 4ever_bball_fan.
Jordan did huge things for the NBA when he was at his dominant best, and I'm sure that if a WNBA player took over the game in a similar manner it would get the WNBA a lot of extra attention. And I mean the right kind of attention - people becoming interested in the league, not the "I will beat my meat over this for a while" attention that some poster are talking about.

PostPosted: 10/25/05 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
And I mean the right kind of attention - people becoming interested in the league, not the "I will beat my meat over this for a while" attention that some poster are talking about.

Ew.

PostPosted: 10/25/05 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

kinkitola wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
And I mean the right kind of attention - people becoming interested in the league, not the "I will beat my meat over this for a while" attention that some poster are talking about.

Ew.

Double ew. Shocked

kinkitola

PostPosted: 10/25/05 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
kinkitola wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Ew.

Double ew. Shocked

yeah, now i need to to puke and scour myself.

PostPosted: 10/26/05 6:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I'm with 4ever_bball_fan.
Jordan did huge things for the NBA when he was at his dominant best, and I'm sure that if a WNBA player took over the game in a similar manner it would get the WNBA a lot of extra attention.

i agree with you both, though i wouldn't go so far as to say the w needs a female 'jordan'...i think 4ever is certainly right about a wonderful rivalry peaking interest and arousing curiosity a la bird and magic and like the lakers/celtics...but the w would have to really play it up the way the nba exploited their college showdown...they'd have to actually market the players and the teams and showcase the rivalry...they'd have to get it on tv...a LOT...but ann meyers would f*ck it up, so...

in the writer's defense, i could certainly get behind a player who plays hard and has her own flamboyant or ostentatious style...another rodman? not at all...and certainly not as a publicity stunt...it just sometimes seems to me that the players are so interested in being what the w wants them to be that they end up being kind of staid...i mean, alana beard is intelligent and beautiful and talented but she pretty much melted into the background of that incredibly boring set, smiling and giving all the 'right' answers...it would have been nice to hear a player articulate what some of them have to be feeling about the lack of respect, airtime, equity in pay, etc.

Quote:

ummm, eww! Confused get your point tho, and i agree about the 'right kind of attention'...see above.

YOOOOOOOOOO-Bekka

Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: