RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cometsfan05

PostPosted: 07/24/14 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Schimmel is getting the amount of minutes she deserves. Folks seem to be ignoring the fact that minus the lynx game. She hasn't played that well lately. That's why her minutes are down. Also Dumerc and Thomas have played decent lately. And they deserve their minutes.

animals31089

PostPosted: 07/24/14 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like Schimmel being on the bench has sort of helped her. Seems like the all star game gave her a boost and now is getting more minutes and is playing much better dont know if the coaching issue in that last game or just the determination.

Since the dream are on a 2 game losing streak and coming down to the end and down one player whos out for the season got to wonder will theyre be any changes to the roster before the playoffs?

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/24/14 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She still took 16 shots (and shot 33% from the field) for 17 pts. That is not very good. But 8 assists and 1 turnover now that is good!

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/24/14 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
She still took 16 shots (and shot 33% from the field) for 17 pts. That is not very good. But 8 assists and 1 turnover now that is good!

She was 6-16 FG which is 37.5%, and almost all her shots were 3 pointers (5-13), so she was effectively 8.5/16 FG - 53.1% which is pretty good.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/25/14 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Atlanta Dream coach Michael Cooper has had surgery for tongue cancer.

The WNBA team said Friday that Thursday's procedure was successful and Cooper "will be back coaching soon."

The team announced Monday that the 58-year-old Cooper has early stage tongue cancer. Assistant coach Karleen Thompson is filling in.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/2014/07/25/dream-coach-cooper-has-surgery-for-tongue-cancer/13159623/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
animals31089

PostPosted: 07/25/14 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my opinion the dream are not playoff ready at the moment. I wouldnt be suprised to see some tweaks soon.

animals31089

PostPosted: 07/26/14 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thx goodness back at Phillips Arena of Tuesday vs the Sun. They sure need a recharge coming down to the end of the season to maintain the lead

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/26/14 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They could probably go 3-8 in their remaining games and still finish top of the East. Maybe 2-9. Who the hell is going to catch them?

PostPosted: 07/26/14 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Richyyy"]They could probably go 3-8 in their remaining games and still finish top of the East. Maybe 2-9. Who the hell is going to catch them?[/quot

possibly if Atlanta extends the losing streak much longer and the other teams like Washington go on a winning streak. Atlanta is only 4 games up and

pilight

PostPosted: 07/26/14 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing no one seems to want to talk about...

PostPosted: 07/26/14 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm....there seems to be a direct correlation between Schimmel's minutes going down and de Souza's numbers going down....or maybe the old bird is just getting tired...or maybe a combination of both?

What's the solution? You need Dantas for next season? Smile

Let the negotiations begin. Rookie for rookie: Dantas for Schimmel straight up.

animals31089

PostPosted: 07/26/14 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Hmmm....there seems to be a direct correlation between Schimmel's minutes going down and de Souza's numbers going down....or maybe the old bird is just getting tired...or maybe a combination of both?

good one

AAOK423

PostPosted: 07/26/14 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

lol Lynx fans really wanting Shoni.....I think right now there are a few Dream fans who would give her up for a lot less than Dantas, maybe your secret weapon Liston since we need someone who can hit a game tying/winning three right about now lol. Shoni's great but lately she keeps reminding me of that Maryland game....and it hurts my heart Crying or Very sad

Shades

PostPosted: 07/26/14 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
Shades wrote:

lol Lynx fans really wanting Shoni.....I think right now there are a few Dream fans who would give her up for a lot less than Dantas, maybe your secret weapon Liston since we need someone who can hit a game tying/winning three right about now lol. Shoni's great but lately she keeps reminding me of that Maryland game....and it hurts my heart Crying or Very sad

Oh really? If that's the case, these two teams really need to negotiate. I know Reeve has always liked Schimmel. How do you think they noticed Asia Taylor?

Randy

PostPosted: 07/26/14 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK423 wrote:
Shades wrote:

What's the problem? 2 of her last three games were good. One was awesome.

And what no one has tried to explain.

Home 13 1 18.2 0.296 0.213 0.889 0.4 1.2 1.6 3.6 0.8 0.2 2.15 1.38 5.1
Road 10 1 21.4 0.420 0.411 1.000 0.6 1.7 2.3 3.6 0.9 0.0 2.50 0.90 10.2

AAOK423

PostPosted: 07/26/14 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Oh really? If that's the case, these two teams really need to negotiate. I know Reeve has always liked Schimmel. How do you think they noticed Asia Taylor?

Well, Atlanta would probably ask for both more than just Liston for Shoni. But honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Schimmel go to Minnesota, I think it would be a good opportunity for her to develop as a point guard and also be able to play her game surrounded by other great players. As much as I would like to see her stay in Atlanta ive been really questioning.....if they keep her next season will it be because they need her or because they need her marketing. If Dumerc and Thomas keep playing for the Dream (and with Dumerc that's a big question mark) Shoni would be more useful somewhere else, like Minnesota. Realistically though (dispite what some fans may want) I think Atlanta is going to hold on to her as long as they can. And even if they only keep her for marketing purposes she could be very useful when Dumerc is in France or she could develop very well and beat Thomas out of a job or she also could just continue to play limited minutes on a team that doesn't particularly need her.......and like I said on another post I think Shoni needs to be needed, that's why she was so successful at Louisville and if Whalen is eventually going to turn over the reigns Minnesota could be a good place for her. And Atlanta could be a good place for Liston, Minnesota has quite a few players who can consistently hit the three.....Atlanta doesn't, at Atlanta I think Liston would see a bit more floor time and she would essentially be what Cooper wanted Inga to be (of course that didn't really work out, i never really thought it would though). I was really hoping Asia Taylor would work out better with Minnesota.....she had a lot of injuries at Louisville but really came on strong her last season, I was kind of surprised she even got drafted though and when she made the team I was very happy for her but her minutes have quickly turned to 0 when the injured players got back (which I expected to happen) but I think some international experience will be beneficial to her (I think she's going to play for an Italian team).

Last edited by AAOK423 on 07/26/14 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
AAOK423

PostPosted: 07/26/14 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
AAOK423 wrote:
Shades wrote:

What's the problem? 2 of her last three games were good. One was awesome.

And what no one has tried to explain.

Home 13 1 18.2 0.296 0.213 0.889 0.4 1.2 1.6 3.6 0.8 0.2 2.15 1.38 5.1
Road 10 1 21.4 0.420 0.411 1.000 0.6 1.7 2.3 3.6 0.9 0.0 2.50 0.90 10.2

lol. Maybe that's because she has more fans at road games. Shoni is good but her inconsistency is frustrating at times. I mean she was great playing at Minnesota...17pt 8 assist and only one turnover (she also had a ton of fans there) but she turns around and has 4 turnovers and 0pt against Chicago (which was also a home game so your point is being made lol.)Also, many Shoni doubters would mention her defense.....that always tends to be a factor that goes against her and they would could also argue that the All-Star game just didn't count because she wasn't being guarded or whatever (which I disagree with). My biggest issue with Atlanta keeping Shoni is do they need her? With two other point guards who are somewhat more consistent do they need a player who only shows up offensively every so often and is more of a deficit on defense....or will they take the time to develop her into the great player she could eventually be....because with Atlanta looking to get a Championship in the near future will they be interested in developing a player who could eventually be a star or trading her for a player or two who fill a need they don't currently have?

Randy

PostPosted: 07/26/14 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AAOK, the Dream's circumstances are going to change in the next few years. Up to now they've had cap space. Jasmine should be off her rookie contract after this year and Tip and Henry the following year. The Dream likely won't be able to overpay for Thomas next year. (And if no other team make her an offer what does that say??) Plus Dumerc is 32 and likely won't be available all (or maybe any) of 2016. So - why would we let Shoni go and why would we keep 3 PGs? Esp the one about to become expensive who is by far the least talented of the 3? Jasmine is seldom the player in the game in the final minutes. She's playing as much as she has because the team wants to win now. But I assume Cooper and Taylor will also want to keep their jobs next year as well.

Now, I do admit, it seems rather odd that for 2 years in a row, Thomas is starting over a more talented player(s) who generally have surpassed her in just about every statistical category, so maybe I just undervalue her.

I also have noticed Shoni plays much better when she plays PG. As the 2 she shoots too much, and probably not as well. But she does provide floor spacing. Another reason I can't see any logic to getting rid of Shoni is that to win you really need 2-3 3 point threats. Shoni is the 2nd best 3 point shooter, and leads the team in 3's made. We saw last year what happens to the Dream when they are lacking in 3 point shooting. (Or just look at the Sparks.)

animals31089

PostPosted: 07/26/14 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good points, it will be interesting to see if Thomas or even Dumerc is in next year, if both of them are out then making Schimmel a starting point guard would be good and find another good back up for her. The Dream are gonna need some talented players next season, I doubt Ajavon will stay not sure about Colhaldo or Thompson they hardly even play anyway. Im sure it will be a busy offseason

AAOK423

PostPosted: 07/26/14 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
AAOK, the Dream's circumstances are going to change in the next few years. Up to now they've had cap space. Jasmine should be off her rookie contract after this year and Tip and Henry the following year. The Dream likely won't be able to overpay for Thomas next year. (And if no other team make her an offer what does that say??) Plus Dumerc is 32 and likely won't be available all (or maybe any) of 2016. So - why would we let Shoni go and why would we keep 3 PGs? Esp the one about to become expensive who is by far the least talented of the 3? Jasmine is seldom the player in the game in the final minutes. She's playing as much as she has because the team wants to win now. But I assume Cooper and Taylor will also want to keep their jobs next year as well.

Now, I do admit, it seems rather odd that for 2 years in a row, Thomas is starting over a more talented player(s) who generally have surpassed her in just about every statistical category, so maybe I just undervalue her.

I also have noticed Shoni plays much better when she plays PG. As the 2 she shoots too much, and probably not as well. But she does provide floor spacing. Another reason I can't see any logic to getting rid of Shoni is that to win you really need 2-3 3 point threats. Shoni is the 2nd best 3 point shooter, and leads the team in 3's made. We saw last year what happens to the Dream when they are lacking in 3 point shooting. (Or just look at the Sparks.)

And those are all good points. I agree if Thomas and Dumerc are not a factor than yeah there is no reason to not keep Shoni. But right now both are getting more minutes, both are more defensive minded, and both can hit the three (not quite effectively or nearly as often admittedly). Shoni shoots the three a lot but is only hitting 32% on a team that doesn't hit the three that well.....she could be traded for someone who is a better three point shooter but then you loose what she offers as a point guard unless you can get a PG that has a better 3pt%. Shoni is a rookie and she needs some development and like you said right now the Dream are entrusting Thomas because they want to win now.....is Shoni going to be developed enough to take over by the time Thomas goes? and that's the gamble because if you have Thomas gone and Dumerc is either in France or close to retirement then the Dream has to put all their eggs in the Shoni basket and hope that a draft or a good trade gets them a good back up point guard. I don't know if all that equates them getting rid of Shoni but I do think that that's a lot of trust they are putting in Shoni's future. It could work out very well.......but there is also a possibility that Shoni doesn't develop any more, Thomas becomes too expensive, and Dumerc retires or goes back to France.......than you go from three PGs to none.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/26/14 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To put 32% in perspective: Maya Moore is 34%, Sue Bird 32.6, Cappie Pondexter 32.8. And 32% is better than Bria Hartley, Oddyesy Sims, Skylar Diggins, Kara Lawson and Angel (26.6%). Most of the players are thought to be good 3 point shooters (except for Angel.)

Thomas and Dumerc both has a lower percentage and far fewer shots, making me suspect they can only hit a 3 once in a while when the opposing team dares them to do it. However, Dumerc got off to a terrible start and has improved lately.

One other salary cap issue - while Dumerc is on the really low rookie scale this year, next year she could, and may well go all the way to max salary. (Which seems to me like the enticement needed to get her here.)

As for having only 1 PG - there's a solution to that - we draft Jude. Laughing (Or make Shades day and bring Sammy back.) Laughing

AAOK423

PostPosted: 07/26/14 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
To put 32% in perspective: Maya Moore is 34%, Sue Bird 32.6, Cappie Pondexter 32.8. And 32% is better than Bria Hartley, Oddyesy Sims, Skylar Diggins, Kara Lawson and Angel (26.6%). Most of the players are thought to be good 3 point shooters (except for Angel.)

Thomas and Dumerc both has a lower percentage and far fewer shots, making me suspect they can only hit a 3 once in a while when the opposing team dares them to do it. However, Dumerc got off to a terrible start and has improved lately.

One other salary cap issue - while Dumerc is on the really low rookie scale this year, next year she could, and may well go all the way to max salary. (Which seems to me like the enticement needed to get her here.)

As for having only 1 PG - there's a solution to that - we draft Jude. Laughing (Or make Shades day and bring Sammy back.) Laughing

lol im all for getting Jude drafted to the Dream and having the Umatilla Thrillas' play together again Very Happy......as for Sammy I don't know about that, I think she probably hasn't worked out on a few teams for a reason.

PamelaT

PostPosted: 07/26/14 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Schimmel for Maya straight up.

Seriously, why in the world would we want to give up Shoni? She's a talented rookie who is developing and is a big part of the future of this team - emphasis on future - she's got a pro career of a decade or more mostly ahead of her. She's got plenty to learn but she is coming along just fine and playing behind and sometimes with Thomas and Dumerc isn't hurting her any. Where was that interview recently where she said that the veteran player she was learning the most from was Jasmine?

PamelaT

PostPosted: 07/26/14 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The thing no one seems to want to talk about...

I'll hypothesize that this is less about Erika than it is about getting Erika the ball when she is open under the basket. Since May other coaches/teams have watched some tape and broken down the plays we were using to get Erika the ball and figured out ways to defend them. This is called "doing their job" Smile Of course Erika has to get and hold a good position - something she was really struggling to do last night - but it's not all on her - the playbook and the defense and the other players who are supposed to feed her have big roles too.

Randy

PostPosted: 07/27/14 6:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PamelaT wrote:
Shades wrote:

Schimmel for Maya straight up.

A monetary win for both teams. Shoni has more fans in Minny than any Lynx player and Maya has more fans in Atlanta, than any Dream player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 27 of 31

Jump to: