RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2014
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 10/11/13 6:51 am    ::: Atlanta Dream 2014 Reply Reply with quote

So we might as well get started thinking about next year.

I don't have any idea about whose a UFA or not. I think Angel did sign a "multi-year" deal before the season started, but I am not sure of the status of Erika and Sancho. Assuming everyone is coming back, here is my lineup.

C - Erika/Aneika
PF - Sancho/Aneika/?
F - Angel/Herrington
G - Hayes/Herrington
PG - Bentley/Thomas

In the draft we need a shooter. Lucas??? We need to pick up a 3 or 4 who can hit 3s.

Do we trade the No. 8 pick for an early second round and someone else? Ideas?

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 10/11/13 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hayes proved to be a decent outside shooter this season, but not decent enough to be the only 'reliable' 3pt shooter. thats not good

i think lucas would actually be a great fit, assuming sancho is healthy

Huskie

PostPosted: 10/11/13 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I'm Ericka, I want out of that hot mess in Atl. I see her in a Libs uni. I have no idea what her contract status is. But, she'd really be a good add for the Libs while Bone develops in the next yr or two.

PostPosted: 10/11/13 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What are the likely international commitments for de Souza and Lyttle next year?

With those two, the Dream are very good; with one, they're pretty good; with neither, they're Connecticut.

PostPosted: 10/11/13 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if there is anyway for them to get there hands on an athletic stretch 4 ?

They hang there draft pick & Sancho out as bait if one can't be acquired free agency.

I think there first moves should be -

1.See what the Suns want for Charles, just in case ,you never know .

2.Find out what a package of Sancho & there pick is worth to teams

dtsnms

PostPosted: 10/11/13 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huskie wrote:
If I'm Ericka, I want out of that hot mess in Atl. I see her in a Libs uni. I have no idea what her contract status is. But, she'd really be a good add for the Libs while Bone develops in the next yr or two.

Absolutely! Three trips to the finals is the sure sign of a hot mess!

In fact, I wish the Sun were a lot messier then!

Randy

PostPosted: 10/11/13 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't see a major trade of the likes suggested here happening unless one of the players is unhappy. I think making it to the Final despite the sweep is enough to convince the owners (and probably the players) we are still on the right track. After all, the Fever made it to the playoffs for many years before all the stars aligned properly for them.

As for trading for a 3 point shooter - this is the top 26 in the W (not sure everyone is there, but they may limit the list to those that made a certain number of shots). Don't see many trade or FA prospects, though I put the most likely in bold. Is there any chance Stricklin might be available from the Storm?

1 Maya Moore MIN 0.453
2 * Elena Delle Donne CHI 0.438
3 Ivory Latta WAS 0.396
4 Epiphanny Prince CHI 0.396
5 Jia Perkins SAN 0.388
6 Kristi Toliver LAS 0.383
7 Riquna Williams TUL 0.381
8 Leilani Mitchell NYL 0.376
9 Tina Thompson SEA 0.37
10 Cappie Pondexter NYL 0.369
11 Candice Wiggins TUL 0.363
12 Nicole Powell TUL 0.362
13 Roneeka Hodges TUL 0.36
14 Briann January IND 0.357
15 Shavonte Zellous IND 0.348
16 Diana Taurasi PHO 0.347
17 Shekinna Stricklen SEA 0.344
18 * Tayler Hill WAS 0.333
19 * Alex Bentley ATL 0.329
]20 Renee Montgomery CON 0.327
21 Danielle Adams SAN 0.326
22 DeWanna Bonner PHO 0.325
23 Tamika Catchings IND 0.321
24 Shameka Christon SAN 0.321
25 Katie Smith NYL 0.315
26 Karima Christmas IND 0.3

uptochallenge

PostPosted: 10/11/13 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There seems to be a real disconnect between Fred and Angel now. Last night we were better without her. Is there another WNBA head coach who could who could turn her around and would be interested in a trade?

If not, I vote to replace Fred. We have had awful loosing streaks the last two years and backed into the playoffs because other teams were terrible. On TV and in meetings I have attended Fred does not impress as a strong communicator or leader. He is ok as an assistant..but somewhere else.

PostPosted: 10/11/13 4:06 pm    ::: Re: Atlanta Dream 2014 Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
So we might as well get started thinking about next year.

I don't have any idea about whose a UFA or not. I think Angel did sign a "multi-year" deal before the season started, but I am not sure of the status of Erika and Sancho. Assuming everyone is coming back, here is my lineup.

C - Erika/Aneika
PF - Sancho/Aneika/?
F - Angel/Herrington
G - Hayes/Herrington
PG - Bentley/Thomas

In the draft we need a shooter. Lucas??? We need to pick up a 3 or 4 who can hit 3s.

Do we trade the No. 8 pick for an early second round and someone else? Ideas?

I think the Dream have a solid core as you have listed, but as been shown, they need shooters. I think they could pull one of Powell or Hodges from Tulsa to play back up minutes behind Angel. Imagine if the Dream still had Latta.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/11/13 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hayes and Bentley both need to work on their shooting form. Hayes still does that chest shooting thing, meaning she has to be more open than most to knock down those threes. Bentley has too much shoulder action in her shooting motion. She looks like a trebuchet. It makes her release too slow.

PostPosted: 10/11/13 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

uptochallenge wrote:
There seems to be a real disconnect between Fred and Angel now. Last night we were better without her. Is there another WNBA head coach who could who could turn her around and would be interested in a trade?

If not, I vote to replace Fred. We have had awful loosing streaks the last two years and backed into the playoffs because other teams were terrible. On TV and in meetings I have attended Fred does not impress as a strong communicator or leader. He is ok as an assistant..but somewhere else.

I think Fred did an excellent job.When everyone thought the Mystics would win rd 1 ATL went on the road won game 2 then closed them out in game 3.They did this despite Angel shooting 16-62 from the field.They also defeated the defending champs.All of this without Sancho Lyttle.With a 3rd yr starting PG,a rookie backup PG,a starting SG who can't hit a jumpshot,a 2nd year backup SG.Willingham at PF and a 2nd year backup at C/PF.The problem is the lack of maturity of Angel mccoughtry.she's an emotional rollercoaster.Even Armintie showed her displeasure after Angel picked up that foul in game 2.Fred should be given credit for the development of Hayes & Bentley.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/11/13 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Hayes and Bentley both need to work on their shooting form. Hayes still does that chest shooting thing, meaning she has to be more open than most to knock down those threes. Bentley has too much shoulder action in her shooting motion. She looks like a trebuchet. It makes her release too slow.

For Hayes it would mean completely changing her shot. She might end up being a lot worse. For Bentley it would be a bit of tweaking - more likely to succeed. Seems to me that in both cases they learned this before they were strong enough to hit a long jumpshot.

The best way to improve the teams 3 point shotting would be for Angel and Jasmine to stop shooting them. Moving the line back has turned both of them from average (or worse) 3 point shooters to terrible ones.

I thought about Powell. I know she in not very highly thought of by many, but she would be an improvement over Willingham or Clements.

babycoop09

PostPosted: 10/11/13 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

start by trading Thomas for Mitchell, I think Achonwa will be available at 8.
The final spot is up for grabs

Bentley/Mitchell
Hayes/Herrington
McCoughtry/Spani
Lyttle/Achonwa
DeSouza/Henry

This gives you a couple of 3 point threats in Spani and Mitchell. A good backup post duo in Achonwa and Henry. Plus they would have the leadership of Armintie coming off the bench. Or instead of Spani try to get Pohlen for virtually nothing..

zune69

PostPosted: 10/11/13 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would offer Angel to the Sun for Charles.I would then make a calculated gamble and trade Desouza to seattle for their 2015 or 2016 1st rd pick(if CBA rules permit) or package Desouza in a 3 way trade for D.Bonner. Laughing

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/11/13 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

babycoop09 wrote:

Bentley/Mitchell
Hayes/Herrington
McCoughtry/Spani
Lyttle/Achonwa
DeSouza/Henry

This gives you a couple of 3 point threats in Spani and Mitchell. A good backup post duo in Achonwa and Henry. Plus they would have the leadership of Armintie coming off the bench. Or instead of Spani try to get Pohlen for virtually nothing..

Not sure about Spani but otherwise I quite like this idea.

Bretter

PostPosted: 10/11/13 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why would Laimbeer trade for Jasmine Thomas? I know she's taller than Mitchell but she really isn't a consistent shooting threat. And honestly, Thomas pretty much plays the same role as Kamiko Williams, only Thomas will be less-cheaper sooner than Williams.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/11/13 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And I think it's more likely Atlanta adds a scorer like Lucas or Schimmel than a post...unless there is something we don't know about Sancho coming back.

sigur3

PostPosted: 10/11/13 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bretter wrote:
Why would Laimbeer trade for Jasmine Thomas? I know she's taller than Mitchell but she really isn't a consistent shooting threat.

So she'd fit right in?

Randy

PostPosted: 10/11/13 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
Bretter wrote:
Why would Laimbeer trade for Jasmine Thomas? I know she's taller than Mitchell but she really isn't a consistent shooting threat.

So she'd fit right in?

Laughing

ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/11/13 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

uptochallenge wrote:

I think Fred did a good job...especially during a tough injury stretch the Dream went thru. If Angel is disconnected from this coach too, maybe she is the problem?

babycoop09

PostPosted: 10/11/13 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bretter wrote:
Why would Laimbeer trade for Jasmine Thomas? I know she's taller than Mitchell but she really isn't a consistent shooting threat. And honestly, Thomas pretty much plays the same role as Kamiko Williams, only Thomas will be less-cheaper sooner than Williams.

Because she's taller he will actually give her a chance. She will be able to start and move Cappie to the SG spot and Carson as the SF(hopefully she's healthy):
Thomas/
Cappie/Williams
Carson/Montgomery
Pierson/Young
Braxton/Bone

Insert one of the lottery players Gray/Ogwumike/Thomas/Sims any of them could start and change the starting lineup

babycoop09

PostPosted: 10/11/13 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
babycoop09 wrote:

Bentley/Mitchell
Hayes/Herrington
McCoughtry/Spani
Lyttle/Achonwa
DeSouza/Henry

Not sure about Spani but otherwise I quite like this idea.

Yeah I just like Spani and think she would be good in a reserve role

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 10/11/13 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

babycoop09 wrote:

Bentley/Mitchell
Hayes/Herrington
McCoughtry/Spani
Lyttle/Achonwa
DeSouza/Henry

While I actually think this is a viable trade this Liberty fan would rather keep Mitchell our try our luck with a 2nd round pick or Kamiko improving than get Thomas. Now offer Henry for Mitchell and our 2nd round pick (#14) and I could work with that, but that would be foolish for Atlanta, but henry would be a nice fit in NY.

Randy

PostPosted: 10/12/13 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
babycoop09 wrote:

Bentley/Mitchell
Hayes/Herrington
McCoughtry/Spani
Lyttle/Achonwa
DeSouza/Henry

While I actually think this is a viable trade this Liberty fan would rather keep Mitchell our try our luck with a 2nd round pick or Kamiko improving than get Thomas. Now offer Henry for Mitchell and our 2nd round pick (#14) and I could work with that, but that would be foolish for Atlanta, but henry would be a nice fit in NY.

After a good playoff showing maybe Henry's trade value has peaked. I get the feeling Fred really doesn't have that much confidence in her. He seems to not really want to use her much, esp. playing at the same time as Erika (even though that worked well against DC). After all, he started Willingham in the final game. So he might make a deal for her. I don't see how NY needs her with both Bone and Braxton, however. I'd rather keep her. I think she might develop into a starting player. Erika and Sancho are now past 30 so we need her to develop Henry.

BTW - Looked up the old press releases. Sancho, Arminti and Erika all signed "multi-year" contracts before the 2012 season. So all we know is "multi" is more than one, I guess. So could be anywhere from 0-3 UFAs.....They could core on of the 3, but only till Angel's deal expires (or so I would assume.)

PamelaT

PostPosted: 10/12/13 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Willingham generated some great hustle plays in the final game, which I really appreciated - that's the most important thing she brings to this team and I think it justified the start in this particular case. Henry works hard but in a slower, predictable way which doesn't create the same kind of energy. Her advantages over Willingham are, obviously, more rebounds and non-zero offensive production. If only we could combine the two.

Personally, if I'm in charge, I'm keeping exactly who we have unless the player we get in exchange can (a) shoot 40% from behind the arc and (b) play defense. No changes period under any other circumstances. Okay, maybe not 100% literally, but really, is there any point in shuffling around various backups in exchange for various other backups? I haven't the slightest interest in Tina Charles, and Erika is not going anywhere. For that matter, Courtney effing Clements is not going anywhere unless letting her go gets me a shooter who can defend. (Okay, maybe that's a bit over the top, but it was a rough Finals.)

Oh yeah, and I'll definitely consider another head coach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 1 of 31

Jump to: