RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Chicago Sky 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/16/14 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I stand corrected on the fouls -- perception trumped reality in this case.

But Brandon is a horrid shooter. I don't mean bad, I mean horrid.

And every once in a while, she feels she can make a 15-footer, when in truth a 1.5-footer is always an adventure.

But oh, can she leap. She is the best jumper in the WNBA now, and her rebounding instincts are amazing. I just don't know if her undeniable strengths can make up for her undeniable weakness offensively.

PostPosted: 05/16/14 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe if Brandon has a couple injury-free seasons and is motivated to work on her offense, Chicago might have something.

(Earlier in her career at Cal I definitely thought she was going to be a WNBA player)

PostPosted: 05/16/14 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Consistency and "Rookie-ness" may be her biggest bugaboos this season (hopefully, nothing physical), but after watching her, live, in that one game, I'm a total believer in that kid....she BELONGS! Very Glory-esque in her talents, imo.

Totally agree with your assessment.
One other Brandon plus, she is a really sweet, genuine kid...been through a lot in her life (posting link about it below)...yet always there with a hug and hello and a smile. I really hope she excels.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8915140/women-college-basketball-california-golden-bears-gennifer-brandon-transforms-game Very Happy

Howee

PostPosted: 05/16/14 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:
Despite what people here seem to think, I am optimistic than Brandon can become a successful contributor in the WNBA. Can't wait to watch her and this team (and of course the Fever too). Wink

Consistency and "Rookie-ness" may be her biggest bugaboos this season (hopefully, nothing physical), but after watching her, live, in that one game, I'm a total believer in that kid....she BELONGS! Very Glory-esque in her talents, imo.

I was comparing her to Glory a couple of years ago, but whereas Glory somehow has managed to learn how to make layups, Brandon is woeful - shooting bricks regularly from 2 feet. I really hope she can in fact learn to make layups because she is an awesome rebounder with great hops. Can't imagine she would ever start on this team but certainly could be a contributor.

You've probably seen Brandon play in person, Myrtle, no? I never had before this week, but I can see how that 'seeing is believing' thing might have made one think of Glory, even back when. Yes, fg % will be a huge challenge for her, but Glory wasn't that great to begin with either, was she? I'd say Brandon can make it happen. Cool

PostPosted: 05/17/14 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was impressed with Quigley's defense today, even on Pondexter. Breland looked very good. They might not miss Cash at all. Their offense looks a little better when they aren't focusing on Fowles camped out in the post screaming for the ball.

defenseallday

PostPosted: 05/18/14 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Their offense looks a little better when they aren't focusing on Fowles camped out in the post screaming for the ball.

That was my guess when it was reported Fowles was out for the season .

Delle Donne , Prince & Vandersloot are all high usage players . Breland is making quicker moves than Fowles .

It's only two games though so that might all go out the window once Prince is back & teams take advantage of Goodlet being on the floor. Embarassed

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/22/14 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky waive Ellenburg, Prince returning Friday.

PostPosted: 05/22/14 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

Aaryn Sad

Only so much room on the roster for midget guards though. Can't wait to see Piph back out there.

rykhala

PostPosted: 05/22/14 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So far, Jessica Breland is this year's Erlana Larkins. Provided that these first few games are no fluke, we now have a starting five that is as potent as any in the league.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/22/14 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rykhala wrote:
So far, Jessica Breland is this year's Erlana Larkins. Provided that these first few games are no fluke, we now have a starting five that is as potent as any in the league.

If Prince plays like she did 2 years ago... She didnt play all that well last year and shot an ugly 37% from the field for the season while most attention went to EDD and Fowles. She kept bricking up jumpers instead of going to the basket or creating for others

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
myrtle

PostPosted: 05/22/14 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:

ahh shucks. I was hoping to see her in the game yesterday and when she didn't get anything (was it 30 Seconds?) figured she was the expendable one.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/22/14 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Aaryn Sad

Only so much room on the roster for midget guards though. Can't wait to see Piph back out there.

I'd say we're ALL glad for Piph's return. I'm not shocked about Aaryn's departure, but .... I thought pilight said she didn't have to leave til Syl is back. Did I miss something? Is Syl back now?

PostPosted: 05/22/14 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Aaryn Sad

I'd say we're ALL glad for Piph's return. I'm not shocked about Aaryn's departure, but .... I thought pilight said she didn't have to leave til Syl is back. Did I miss something? Is Syl back now?

Fowles was activated on 19 May

PostPosted: 05/22/14 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so the Sky's active roster officially stands at 12 now.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/22/14 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I was impressed with Quigley's defense today, even on Pondexter. Breland looked very good. They might not miss Cash at all. Their offense looks a little better when they aren't focusing on Fowles camped out in the post screaming for the ball.

Given how bad Swintayla has been in Atlanta, it might be time to re-evaluate the "trade" to "one bag of chips for another." Only room for one diva in Chicago and Piph has it covered.

~rAf
toad455

PostPosted: 05/22/14 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

plus they were able to dump Cash's hefty paycheck.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 05/22/14 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a little early to call Cash a bust for ATL. Give an old dog time to gel with a new team. I'm willing to bet Cash contributes more than Willingham or Riley ever did.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/22/14 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It's a little early to call Cash a bust for ATL. Give an old dog time to gel with a new team. I'm willing to bet Cash contributes more than Willingham or Riley ever did.

Ironic how all three played for the Dream and Sky.

PostPosted: 05/23/14 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All your geezers are belong to us.

sigur3

PostPosted: 05/29/14 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2014/5/29/5756314/wnba-interview-jessica-breland-chicago-sky-elena-delle-donne-2014

Quote:
SA: Right now you're in the top five in blocks and rebounds in the league. Do you feel like finally getting big minutes is allowing people to see what you can really do on the court?

JB: Yeah. Time on the court always helps, huh? We play well together. We haven't been together that long but we play like we're a veteran team and we're really young. We mesh really well together and that's probably one of the biggest things for me with my success right now.

UofDel_Alum

PostPosted: 05/29/14 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3, that tells me that Pokey saw something in her that all her other coaches did not see in her.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/29/14 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
SA: What led to your decision to come to Chicago?

JB: It was really difficult between Indy and here. It was two different roles. Do I want to go back and play behind Catch again or do I want to go and possibly figure out things on my own?

Hmmm..

PostPosted: 05/29/14 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And mavcarer you heard Pokey say, you cannot teach some of the moves that Breland makes. A lot of the moves are from instinct.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 05/29/14 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Quote:

JB: It was really difficult between Indy and here. It was two different roles. Do I want to go back and play behind Catch again or do I want to go and possibly figure out things on my own?

Hmmm..

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/57338243?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="264" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 05/29/14 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Quote:

Hmmm..

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/57338243?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="264" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: