RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

An interview with Pope Francis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/19/13 1:34 pm    ::: An interview with Pope Francis Reply Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/world/europe/an-interview-with-pope-francis.html

Quote:
We cannot insist only on issues related to abortion, gay marriage and the use of contraceptive methods. This is not possible. I have not spoken much about these things, and I was reprimanded for that. But when we speak about these issues, we have to talk about them in a context. The teaching of the church, for that matter, is clear and I am a son of the church, but it is not necessary to talk about these issues all the time.

The dogmatic and moral teachings of the church are not all equivalent. The church’s pastoral ministry cannot be obsessed with the transmission of a disjointed multitude of doctrines to be imposed insistently …

We have to find a new balance; otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel. The proposal of the Gospel must be more simple, profound, radiant. It is from this proposition that the moral consequences then flow.

PostPosted: 09/20/13 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not Catholic, and I have problems with lots of Catholic doctrine and practices that have no Biblical basis (like Holy Water for instance, haha). But I do have to say that I like this Pope!

Howee

PostPosted: 09/21/13 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TonyL222 wrote:
Not Catholic, and I have problems with lots of Catholic doctrine and practices that have no Biblical basis (like Holy Water for instance, haha). But I do have to say that I like this Pope!

From what little I've observed, he's definitely a step in the *right direction*....but a millennium or so too late. And then there's the concept that the mere existence of his *office* isn't as scriptural as The Church would have one believe. Razz

(....anybody read "The Zealot" yet?)

PostPosted: 09/21/13 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like the inner circle at the Vatican have not been especially happy with some of the Pope's philosophies and attitudes towards some of the church's go to controversial topics, like gays and abortion.

As a pro-choice gay atheist, I'd say he's doing a good job (as far as Popes go, that is). Anyone that can piss off the crusty old men of the Catholic Church is a-ok in my book.

norwester

PostPosted: 09/24/13 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pope Francis excommunicates pro-gay marriage priest. He's not the liberal the media wants
Quote:
Actually what the Pope was saying was that he wants the Church to talk more about what it's for than what it's against. But that doesn't mean it won't still be against those things that contradict its teachings and traditions.

PostPosted: 09/24/13 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Pope Francis excommunicates pro-gay marriage priest. He's not the liberal the media wants
Quote:
Actually what the Pope was saying was that he wants the Church to talk more about what it's for than what it's against. But that doesn't mean it won't still be against those things that contradict its teachings and traditions.

Well of course. But short of them all taking off their robes and going home and leaving the buildings and treasure to the poor... you got to love this Pope. And I'm an atheist.

The reason is simple, the Catholic church is not going anywhere. They are here to stay. This pope speaking out at this moment in the way that he is will change the lives of millions of people, transform the church itself and how people view it and who is drawn to it. And beyond. People are going to now LISTEN to what the Pope has to say about things, something that almost used to be a mockingly ironic catch phrase in a Catholic-dominated environment like I grew up in.

But this pope actually says things! And he says the right things. Help the poor. Have mercy on each other, etc. When have we ever really had a worldwide voice saying those things on this planet. You always had this media focus on the popes and the Vatican. Almost just for the pomp and spectacle. Like a pre-Kardasian entity for the serious news to cover and only because there were millions of followers world wide. So now this pope has taken that all and turned it on its head by actually saying things that need to be said. I hope they don't knock him off at some point is my only concern.

PostPosted: 09/24/13 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
....the Catholic church is not going anywhere. They are here to stay.

Like all things Man-made, they, too, shall perish .... give it 4,000 years or so. But the interesting thing is that they're *morphing* a bit faster than recent history may suggest has been the going rate of 'change'.

I think so, at least. I have no doubt the Church of Today bears little resemblance to the Church of 1500 or 1000 or even 200 years ago. It's a living entity, and changes with the times.

But yes, overall....change is GOOD! And maybe his actions are the first, squeaky turnings of the Great Faucet of Change. Razz

PostPosted: 09/25/13 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a guy who's headed for being poisoned in his sleep.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: