RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NFL Superbowl Halftime Show
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynxmania

PostPosted: 09/07/13 2:38 pm    ::: NFL Superbowl Halftime Show Reply Reply with quote

Reports are saying that Bruno Mars will be chosen to headline the show.

PostPosted: 09/07/13 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there a yawning emoticon?

pilight

PostPosted: 09/07/13 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, at least he's younger than the other post-wardrobe-malfunction choices. The last time the Superbowl halftime show had a headliner under 30 was 1998 when Boyz II Men got the gig.

PostPosted: 09/07/13 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bring back Up With People, damn it!

Laughing

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Z4mTTigqTSA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by justintyme on 09/08/13 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 09/07/13 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/07/13 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't know what the whining is about, Bruno is a fantastic performer.

PostPosted: 09/08/13 1:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With all the amazing acts associated with the NY/NJ area, they choose Bruno Mars? Couldn't they have gotten Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Billy Joel or anyone else from the host stadium's region?

Genero36

PostPosted: 09/08/13 2:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

He's actually one of the VERY FEW talents (in a field fill of mediocrity) in pop music today.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/08/13 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
With all the amazing acts associated with the NY/NJ area, they choose Bruno Mars? Couldn't they have gotten Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Billy Joel or anyone else from the host stadium's region?

Springsteen just did the show in 2009.

The halftime performer is not usually someone local. Beyonce is not from Louisiana. Madonna is not from Indiana. The Black Eyed Peas are not from Texas. The Who and Bruce Springsteen are not from Florida. Tom Petty is not from Arizona.

The last time a local artist was the headliner at the Superbowl halftime was 1990, when Pete Fountain got top billing in New Orleans.

PostPosted: 09/08/13 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight, what's your point? Just because it hasn't been done recently doesn't mean it wouldn't have been a good idea, especially with the amount of big name acts associated with the area. The Super Bowl is also being played outdoors in a cold climate - first time that's ever happened. So just because it [a local artist] hasn't been done recently doesn't mean it couldn't/shouldn't have been an option.

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/08/13 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm actually fine with this selection. When it is a good singer/group I get sucked in and actually watch it, normally just to be disappointed. Now I don't have to even bother and can just focus on the second half snacks and cocktails.

PostPosted: 09/08/13 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
Pilight, what's your point? Just because it hasn't been done recently doesn't mean it wouldn't have been a good idea, especially with the amount of big name acts associated with the area. The Super Bowl is also being played outdoors in a cold climate - first time that's ever happened. So just because it [a local artist] hasn't been done recently doesn't mean it couldn't/shouldn't have been an option.

The Superbowl isn't a local event. It's a big international spectacle. Halftime needs to be someone who will play everywhere.

PostPosted: 09/08/13 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

The Superbowl isn't a local event. It's a big international spectacle. Halftime needs to be someone who will play everywhere.

The Super Bowl is hardly an "international spectacle" - over 90% of the viewers every year are in North America. And you couldn't possibly be suggesting that the artists I mentioned aren't as famous or successful, nationally or internationally, as Mars. Mars has sold about 3.5 million records vs. Bon Jovi's 130 million.

Being in the NYC area for the first time, you know they're going to play up the location during the broadcast and in the months leading up to it - do you really think the SB would have been played in any other cold climate stadium without a dome?

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/08/13 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

He's actually one of the VERY FEW talents (in a field fill of mediocrity) in pop music today.

Yea, he can sing. He can put on a show. And his songs are pretty good.

I'll never understand the backlash for this guy.

PostPosted: 09/08/13 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

The Super Bowl is hardly an "international spectacle" - over 90% of the viewers every year are in North America. And you couldn't possibly be suggesting that the artists I mentioned aren't as famous or successful, nationally or internationally, as Mars. Mars has sold about 3.5 million records vs. Bon Jovi's 130 million.

Being in the NYC area for the first time, you know they're going to play up the location during the broadcast and in the months leading up to it - do you really think the SB would have been played in any other cold climate stadium without a dome?

Yes, Bon Jovi sold umpteen million records 30 years ago. They haven't hit the top 10 since 1994. This isn't baseball, the average fan isn't collecting Social Security. They need someone who connects with younger people.

PostPosted: 09/08/13 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

Yes, Bon Jovi sold umpteen million records 30 years ago. They haven't hit the top 10 since 1994. This isn't baseball, the average fan isn't collecting Social Security. They need someone who connects with younger people.

Younger people have no taste in music. Screw 'em. I swear, there hasn't been good music since the '90s.

PostPosted: 09/08/13 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Younger people have no taste in music. Screw 'em. I swear, there hasn't been good music since the '90s.

You're definitely right for the most part, but Bruno has impressed me. He is one of those rare talents that can sing live very well, play and write music. 98% of today's mainstream music is PURE GARBAGE. I put him in the 2%.

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pCu1or4Kiio?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yAzV-soOJqI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

Last edited by Genero36 on 09/20/13 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Genero36

PostPosted: 09/08/13 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15

PostPosted: 09/09/13 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Stick to basketball stats, Pilight. Music clearly isn't your strength.

Bon Jovi's last studio album went to #1, as did the one before it. Neither of those came out 30 years ago (2007 and 2009). And they played MetLife Stadium before -- 6 sold out shows (4 when the stadium opened, and two this past July). They must have been busing them in from the local senior citizen centers since they "fail to connect with younger people," then again when has that mattered -- The Who played the Super Bowl in 2010 and they haven't had a hit since 1981.

I know you're just trying to be obnoxious (good job!), but it's so unlike you to be so inaccurate and uninformed.

Based on the amount of press that the Bruno Mars pick has generated, including a number of articles that say the same thing I've been saying, at least I know I'm not alone with the idea that Mars was a poor choice.

Realcomplicated

PostPosted: 09/09/13 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:

WOW! Talk about a snooze fest... Laughing

RDub21

PostPosted: 09/09/13 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barrister15 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Stick to basketball stats, Pilight. Music clearly isn't your strength.

Bon Jovi's last studio album went to #1, as did the one before it. Neither of those came out 30 years ago (2007 and 2009). And they played MetLife Stadium before -- 6 sold out shows (4 when the stadium opened, and two this past July). They must have been busing them in from the local senior citizen centers since they "fail to connect with younger people," then again when has that mattered -- The Who played the Super Bowl in 2010 and they haven't had a hit since 1981.

I know you're just trying to be obnoxious (good job!), but it's so unlike you to be so inaccurate and uninformed.

Based on the amount of press that the Bruno Mars pick has generated, including a number of articles that say the same thing I've been saying, at least I know I'm not alone with the idea that Mars was a poor choice.

FWIW, I'll watch the halftime show with Bruno Mars...if it was Bon Jovi, Springsett, or Billy Joel, I would gladly switch it over to the Puppy Bowl.
And yes, count me as one of the "younger people"
Wink

sigur3

PostPosted: 09/09/13 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Barrister15 wrote:

FTW, even though I probably fall under the demographic this selection is trying to appeal to...

In all seriousness, I really don't care who performs during the halftime show because I probably won't be watching it. If he's a good performer, that's great, because putting on a nice show is what it's all about. I just wish they would focus more on the music than all of the bells and whistles, however unrealistic that may be. I've come to terms with them never having an artist I actually listen to perform at the Superbowl, so no worries Laughing

P.S. The Puppy Bowl is the shit.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/09/13 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
...This isn't baseball, the average fan isn't collecting Social Security. They need someone who connects with younger people.

So, why wasn't Miley Cyrus considered? Razz

Smoovie

PostPosted: 09/09/13 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

one of my favorite Bruno performances. this was the first one that made me say, "HEY....WHO'S THIS FELLA"

<embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/toSWIFioFmw?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toSWIFioFmw

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
Smoovie

PostPosted: 09/09/13 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and this is just the best cover of 'Part Of Your World' & 'Under The Sea', ever

<embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/29Hgr5cQKso?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Hgr5cQKso

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: