RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lost all respect for Sophia Young..
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 08/28/13 5:46 pm    ::: Lost all respect for Sophia Young.. Reply Reply with quote

From Twitter:
@sophiayoung33: Should San Antonio be a city that allows same sex marriage?? I vote NO.

Wow! Is all I have to say about that.

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/28/13 5:53 pm    ::: Re: Lost all respect for Sophia Young.. Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
From Twitter:
@sophiayoung33: Should San Antonio be a city that allows same sex marriage?? I vote NO.

UGH! But....she went to Baylor for a reason.

Terra1969

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are we sure this came from her? Why do this now? Why do this at all? Keep her mouth shut

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She must have signed a contract to play exclusively in Russia....

coffy73

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She'll probably get a lot of backlash and then say her account was hacked and she didn't post it. That's how many do it.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@sophiayoung33: My vote is still No... San Antonio should not allows Same sex marriages. http://t.co/W5c9RMDwAF

Updated tweet just a few minutes ago. My view is, she has a right to her opinion but why post it like that where many WNBA fans follow her with a good number of them coming from the gay community?

Last edited by SDHoops on 08/28/13 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
blaase22

coffy73 wrote:
She'll probably get a lot of backlash and then say her account was hacked and she didn't post it. That's how many do it.

She has a photo showing a vote no sign. what a bitch. Rolling Eyes

petrel

Well, it's going to be pretty hard to claim her account was hacked NOW....

GoTulsaShock

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's her opinion, not sure why y'all care.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her teammates will love her for that one Confused Shocked

why so proud Question

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Comets09

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She has her rights as a person as any other she lovess and plays the game of basketball and shouldnt have. to lie cause some fans might be offended about a topic that has nothing to do with basketball grow up people accept yourself and stop looking for the world to give a dam about who u choose to love.

I became a die hard Comets fan at the age of 8 and i often got laughed at being a young man beating everyone else on the playground and instead of shouting michael Jordan I would hit shots and holla Sheryl Swoopesssss!!!!!!!!! But now at age 20 and playing college basketball, with heart and fundamentals,and the passion to never give up, look who's laughing Now! I am a 20 year old married man with a kid playing basketball and i appreciate and love the wnba!
Rbarabino

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Comets09 wrote:
She has her rights as a person as any other she lovess and plays the game of basketball and shouldnt have. to lie cause some fans might be offended about a topic that has nothing to do with basketball grow up people accept yourself and stop looking for the world to give a dam about who u choose to love.

I agree with what you said...until the last part. Sophia Young initiated the conversation on this topic so therefore she obviously does give a damn about who others choose to love.

Queenie

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I respect her right to have an opinion. I respect her right to free speech. But I also have the right to think that her opinion is a steaming pile of horseshit that disrespects her peers and teammates.

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I respect her right to have an opinion. I respect her right to free speech. But I also have the right to think that her opinion is a steaming pile of horseshit that disrespects her peers and teammates.

As the saying goes, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Twitter reactions (backlash) from random ppl:

@Khawk71: @sophiayoung33 so you're into denying people basic human rights? I see...that's a damn shame 21st century! #samelove bigot!

@kstylle: Welp! Looks like @sophiayoung33 just lost half of her fan base... Yikes! Oh well *shrugs*

@AltMelissa: Well, Sophia Young's views on #ssm will surely go over well with many teammates and peers. If you don't want #ssm, dear, don't marry a girl.

@TISHA_28: Oh well @sophiayoung33 dun really lost her mind and went there smh. This is another reason for people to hate the wnba

@besdao: Long story short: I am pro-LGBT. I cannot be fans of players like Sophia Young.

@SAStarsBlogger: I'm a practicing Muslim and even I don't know what's gotten into @sophiayoung33. She might not like it, but it shouldn't be on Twitter.

@mexicanmilhouse: @sophiayoung33 Wow I am so done with you. All the stuff you signed for me is going into the trash, with your ignorant and deluded views.

@PurpleGirl903: @sophiayoung33 To each his own but I am no longer a fan.

@ericboogaard: @sophiayoung33 good thing little girls look up to u and ur hate filled views! Didn't realize homophobia is one of ur talents!

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guys, Link pending but some digging shows that this is on a political issue more serious than Gay Marriage...and in which case....yeeeahhhhh. Way to stick up for your teammates Sophia

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:36 pm    ::: Re: Lost all respect for Sophia Young.. Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
From Twitter:

I'm sure Becky Hammon doesn't like her response either.

coffy73

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's like saying "Vote NO on interracial marriage". To me, it's the same thing, same principles and if someone advocates that kind of hate, no I won't say oh well, that's her opinion and I still like her. If Sophia truly didn't give a damn, she wouldn't advocate for the refusal to acknowledge the rights of gays and lesbians. She's trying to prevent other human beings from having the same rights as she does and to me, that's a horrible no. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Last edited by coffy73 on 08/28/13 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, by the way? The debate isn't even about gay marriage. It's about consolidating and streamlining San Antonio's anti-discrimination ordinances: http://extras.mysanantonio.com/pdf/20130827_non-discrimination-ordinance.pdf

Hat tip to hoopfeed for pointing that out to Ms. Young.

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Christians hold group prayer against LGBT rights at San Antonio City Hall

justintyme

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So she believes that people should be allowed to discriminate based upon sexual orientation? That I should have the right to fire an employee just because they are gay?

Well, I guess we know she will have no problems playing in Russia. Perhaps if she is lucky she will have a chance to hang out with Putin.

I think Seimone should send Ms. Young an invitation to her upcoming wedding. I would be a perfect "go fuck yourself" while not being rude in the least.

PostPosted: 08/28/13 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="coffy73"]That's like saying "Vote NO on interracial marriage". To me, it's the same thing, same principles and if someone advocates that kind of hate, no I won't say oh well, that's her opinion and I still like her. If Sophia truly didn't give a damn, she wouldn't advocate for the refusal to acknowledge the rights of gays and lesbians. She's trying to prevent other human beings from having the same rights as she does and to me, that's a horrible no.the bible say be fruitful and multiply and she is using her celeb status to stand with the word of God and shell be rewarded better than anything the w has to offer after ur old and no team wants you ur soul iss more important.takes a bigger persin to stand for God not her teammates.

I became a die hard Comets fan at the age of 8 and i often got laughed at being a young man beating everyone else on the playground and instead of shouting michael Jordan I would hit shots and holla Sheryl Swoopesssss!!!!!!!!! But now at age 20 and playing college basketball, with heart and fundamentals,and the passion to never give up, look who's laughing Now! I am a 20 year old married man with a kid playing basketball and i appreciate and love the wnba!
justintyme

PostPosted: 08/28/13 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Comets09 wrote:
coffy73 wrote:
That's like saying "Vote NO on interracial marriage". To me, it's the same thing, same principles and if someone advocates that kind of hate, no I won't say oh well, that's her opinion and I still like her. If Sophia truly didn't give a damn, she wouldn't advocate for the refusal to acknowledge the rights of gays and lesbians. She's trying to prevent other human beings from having the same rights as she does and to me, that's a horrible no.
the bible say be fruitful and multiply and she is using her celeb status to stand with the word of God and shell be rewarded better than anything the w has to offer after ur old and no team wants you ur soul iss more important.takes a bigger persin to stand for God not her teammates.

You mean she wants to inflict her religious beliefs upon people who may not share them? In my faith there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay, and my God has no issue with it whatsoever.

How would she, and others like her, feel if Muslims passed a law that says it is illegal to eat pork? Or enacted Sharia law which requires women to be subservient to men and be veiled in public? Since their god requires it it should be for all, right?

Should we be required to live by the rules of every religion's holy scripture? If secular laws have to obey one of them, why do they not have to obey all of them? What makes the Christian god (though not even all Christian religions believe as such) the only one who we need to pay attention to?

Last edited by justintyme on 08/28/13 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/28/13 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Bible says that preventing discrimination is a bad thing?

She's trying to make it seem like this is a religious issue regarding marriage, AND IT IS NOT. Gay marriage is NOT being debated in this ordinance. The thing that she's saying "Vote NO!" on? Is about adding gays, veterans, and the disabled to San Antonio's anti-discrimination ordinances. (Among other details. I haven't sat down and read 21 pages of corrections yet.)

Not for nothin', but if she's cool with people being free to discriminate against others- when those others include her peers and teammates- then I can't respect her opinion. I respect her right to have it, but I have the right to think that it is a shitty opinion. And if she's going to hide behind a smokescreen of an issue, then I have no respect for her integrity as a human being.

PostPosted: 08/28/13 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Soph is a fundamentalist Christian, she is merely standing up for one of the strongest held views in the fundamentalist Christian world. This is much like how the late NFL DE, Reggie White, spoke out against the gay lifestyle. That's what fundamentalist Christians do. They regard the gay lifestyle as being sinful.

If some of you were to try to "discuss" the matter with a group of fundamentalist Christians, World War III would probably ensue.

Last edited by jap on 08/28/13 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: