RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

US Open

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/28/13 7:08 am    ::: US Open Reply Reply with quote

Victoria Duval stuns Sam Stosur! 5-7 6-4 6-4

PostPosted: 09/01/13 1:38 am    ::: Re: US Open Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Victoria Duval stuns Sam Stosur! 5-7 6-4 6-4

That was very impressive for Victoria!

Well, everybody's most anticipated match has arrived: Sloane versus Serena! Get your popcorn ready for this one! Wink

PostPosted: 09/01/13 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fun first set, but boy when Sloane went away, she just disappeared. Congrats Serena.

jap

PostPosted: 09/02/13 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would seem young Sloane has learned from the error of airing dirty laundry before the media. Unfortunately, her unwise verbal remarks brought out the real Serena.

It's interesting how the media downplayed Serena's injuries in the Australian Open loss. She was not moving anywhere near as well then as she was yesterday. I don't think Sloane would have taken out Serena without that bad ankle and aggravated back.

Still, the breakthrough allowed Sloane to step up in confidence and she has clearly benefited with a surge in her play. However, there's another super-talented teen after her already in powerhouse 18-year old Madison Keys, who may eventually emerge with the second best serve in the game.

PostPosted: 09/02/13 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
Still, the breakthrough allowed Sloane to step up in confidence and she has clearly benefited with a surge in her play. However, there's another super-talented teen after her already in powerhouse 18-year old Madison Keys, who may eventually emerge with the second best serve in the game.

All the US talent is on the women's side. We have three players in the Round of 16 compared to none among the men.

PostPosted: 09/02/13 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jap wrote:

All the US talent is on the women's side. We have three players in the Round of 16 compared to none among the men.

Well, at least young male prodigy, Donald Young, is back after pissing off so many people he nearly blackballed himself from the pro tour. He was bounced in the 2nd round but could rebuild his profile in the coming months.

PostPosted: 09/02/13 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The three USA male prodigies are Young, Isner & Jack Sock. Young's dealt with injuries and his ego, Isner's the most promising & Jack Sock needs to get into shape to have any kind of success. I can't remember what match it was at this year's US Open, but one of the commentators called Sock "doughy" and wouldn't survive any kind of 5 set match because of his fitness.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 09/02/13 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The three USA male prodigies are Young, Isner & Jack Sock. Young's dealt with injuries and his ego, Isner's the most promising & Jack Sock needs to get into shape to have any kind of success. I can't remember what match it was at this year's US Open, but one of the commentators called Sock "doughy" and wouldn't survive any kind of 5 set match because of his fitness.

Isner is 28 years old. He's older than Nadal or Djokovic. He's probably as good as he's ever going to get.

PostPosted: 09/02/13 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's really interesting that by the Round of 16 only three countries had multiple players left.

The United States and Italy both led with 3. Italy has been a powerful country of late on the international tennis scene--especially when it comes to the Federation Cup. Italy is currently ranked No. 2 only behind the mighty Czech Republic. Who would have thought that Ekaterina Makarova would have been the last Russian standing? Sure, Maria Sharapova is absent....but still stunning to see that none of the big name Russians are still standing. (I.e. Kuznetsova,

United States:
Serena Williams
Alison Riske
Sloane Stephens

Italy:
Camila Giorgi
Roberta Vinci
Flavia Pennetta

Serbia:
Jelena Jankovic
Ana Ivanovic

Spain:
Carla Suarez Navarro

Germany:
Angie Kerber

Belarus:
Victoria Azarenka

China:
Li Na

Slovakia:
Daniela Hantuchova

Russia:
Ekaterina Makarova

Romania:
Simona Halep

Poland:
Aggie Radwanska

We shall see. The big question at this stage in the tournament is simply...who can stop Serena? Can Daniela Hantuchova continue her dream run with her open draw? Daniela has played the following in order

WC Maria Sanchez
WC Victoria Duval
Q Julia Glusko
WC Alison Riske

Who emerges from the bottom half as the finalist? Azarenka showed some signs of vulnerability in her match against Alize Cornet. Perhaps this is when Ana Ivanovic proves that she's back and proves that she can compete against the best and stuns Vika.

toad455

PostPosted: 09/02/13 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Isner is 28 years old. He's older than Nadal or Djokovic. He's probably as good as he's ever going to get.

WOW!! I had no clue Isner was 28. I thought 24 or 25.

jap

PostPosted: 09/02/13 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:
toad455 wrote:

WOW!! I had no clue Isner was 28. I thought 24 or 25.

Isner has been around for quite a while.

PostPosted: 09/02/13 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Federer is ousted by Robredo in straight sets today, 7-6, 6-3, 6-4.

Nadal currently has lost the first set vs. Kohlschreiber.

jap

PostPosted: 09/06/13 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Serena and Vika once more!

PostPosted: 09/08/13 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Serena just took down Vika: 7-5, 6-7 (6-8 ), 6-1 for her 17 Grand Slam win. The next Slam win will tie Chrissy and Martina.

Last edited by jap on 09/08/13 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ddubdawg

PostPosted: 09/08/13 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boy that was an interesting match. And I loved it. Hopefully my guy Djokovic will take care of the smug Rafa.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: