RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NCAA Softball
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colt13

PostPosted: 05/12/13 11:37 am    ::: NCAA Softball Reply Reply with quote

Opening this up because the Selection Show is tonight 5/12. So post your thoughts.

Is Tennessee the favorite, or is it Oklahoma?

Will Alabama's defense stop their run in the super regionals?

Will Chelsea Thomas' arm fall off before the world series?

Will Luna and Texas live up to their seeding?

Will James Madison make the field? Do they deserve to make it over Arizona and/or Iowa?

Which mid or low major has the best chance to make it to super regionals? South Alabama, Hofstra, James Madison, Western Kentucky or Louisiana Lafayette?

Is Tulsa safely in the field after they lost to Marshall? And if they are, did they knock UAB out?

With Louisville losing yesterday, will any Big East team get a top 16 seed?

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 05/12/13 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predict that Stanford comes out of nowhere to shock everyone and make it to the CWS Finals--is it in Omaha this year again?

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/12/13 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FollowtheCardinalRule wrote:
I predict that Stanford comes out of nowhere to shock everyone and make it to the CWS Finals--is it in Omaha this year again?

Baseball is in Omaha every year and softball is in Oklahoma City every year.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 05/12/13 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

Thanks. I always forget.

Anyway, Stanford for Oklahoma Citttyyy. I'm just kidding, I know they're outside shots.

I'm expecting the usual suspects to be there in Oklahoma, Alabama (?), I think either Oregon or Arizona State will emerge as the third team, with the fourth being Florida or even Michigan. It all comes down to the draw and getting hot at the right time.

A team that's hot--like Hofstra right now could cause a couple of upset along the way.

So, Colt--in response.

1. Oklahoma is the definite favorite in my opinion--I'd even put Alabama or even Texas as higher favorites than Tennessee. ((Alabama based off of past history in NCAA's)

2. Alabama should make it through Supers.

4. Texas likes to get upset by lesser known teams--so I say no to them living up to their seeding.

I don't follow the midmajors enough to be knowledgeable about them.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/12/13 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:

Thanks. I always forget.

Anyway, Stanford for Oklahoma Citttyyy. I'm just kidding, I know they're outside shots.

I'm expecting the usual suspects to be there in Oklahoma, Alabama (?), I think either Oregon or Arizona State will emerge as the third team, with the fourth being Florida or even Michigan. It all comes down to the draw and getting hot at the right time.

A team that's hot--like Hofstra right now could cause a couple of upset along the way.

So, Colt--in response.

1. Oklahoma is the definite favorite in my opinion--I'd even put Alabama or even Texas as higher favorites than Tennessee. ((Alabama based off of past history in NCAA's)

4. Texas likes to get upset by lesser known teams--so I say no to them living up to their seeding.

8 teams will advance to Oklahoma City, there are 16 regional sites with 4 teams each, then 8 super regional sites with 2 teams each and the 8 winners advance to the WCWS.

I think a lot of it will depend on placements, UCLA has a chance if they get a good placement, as does Missouri, plus I think Cal and Stanford could surprise some people, and I wouldn't count out Arizona. Of course there are teams from other conferences who fit the bill as well, I just don't know as much about them, but in the SEC alone Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Missouri, LSU and Georgia are always dangerous. And Hawaii is looking good again this year. I'd say Oregon, Oklahoma, Florida and Arizona State are locks and the other 4 spots are are really up for grabs.

colt13

PostPosted: 05/12/13 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most interesting 2 teams in a regional? Hofstra/Missouri & Cal/Michigan

Most balanced brackets/possible upsets for seeds are Texas A & M, Kentucky, Nebraska and Washington.

colt13

PostPosted: 05/12/13 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/softball/d1/2012

The bracket teams are correct, even though the year and the dates are wrong. Probably will be updated soon.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 05/12/13 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Thanks. I always forget.

So, Colt--in response.

8 teams will advance to Oklahoma City, there are 16 regional sites with 4 teams each, then 8 super regional sites with 2 teams each and the 8 winners advance to the WCWS.

I think a lot of it will depend on placements, UCLA has a chance if they get a good placement, as does Missouri, plus I think Cal and Stanford could surprise some people, and I wouldn't count out Arizona. Of course there are teams from other conferences who fit the bill as well, I just don't know as much about them, but in the SEC alone Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Missouri, LSU and Georgia are always dangerous. And Hawaii is looking good again this year. I'd say Oregon, Oklahoma, Florida and Arizona State are locks and the other 4 spots are are really up for grabs.

I'm trying. Laughing Sorry for being so ignorant.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 05/13/13 7:32 am    ::: Re: NCAA Softball Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:
Opening this up because the Selection Show is tonight 5/12. So post your thoughts.

Is Tennessee the favorite, or is it Oklahoma?

Will Alabama's defense stop their run in the super regionals?

Will Chelsea Thomas' arm fall off before the world series?

Will Luna and Texas live up to their seeding?

Will James Madison make the field? Do they deserve to make it over Arizona and/or Iowa?

Which mid or low major has the best chance to make it to super regionals? South Alabama, Hofstra, James Madison, Western Kentucky or Louisiana Lafayette?

Is Tulsa safely in the field after they lost to Marshall? And if they are, did they knock UAB out?

With Louisville losing yesterday, will any Big East team get a top 16 seed?

I say Oklahoma is the favorite . Ricketts is more dominant than the Renfro sisters .

Tennessee beat Alabama 2 out of 3 in Knoxville earlier this year and will do so again in the SR .

Missouri is in big trouble if they have to use a second pitcher .

I think Texas has a relatively easy regional, even though my Gamecocks are going to Austin . Texas should be able to handle either them or Houston . As far as the SR goes , I don't know anything about South Alabama . Would love to see them be this year's South Florida .

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/13/13 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Thanks. I always forget.

So, Colt--in response.

I'm trying. Laughing Sorry for being so ignorant.

No problem, I was just trying to keep you informed. Very Happy

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/13/13 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a breakdown of the 64 teams by conference

SEC-11 (Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, LSU, Mississippi State, Missouri, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M)

Pac-12-8 (Arizona, Arizona State, California, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, UCLA, Washington)

ACC-4 (Florida State, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia Tech)

Big Ten-4 (Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin)

Conference USA-4 (Houston, Marshall, Tulsa, UAB)

Big East-3 (Louisville, Notre Dame, South Florida)

Big 12-3 (Baylor, Oklahoma, Texas)

Sun Belt-3 (Louisiana-Lafayette, South Alabama, Western Kentucky)

CAA-2 (Hofstra, James Madison)

America East-1 (Stony Brook)

Atlantic 10-1 (Fordham)

Atlantic Sun-1 (USC-Upstate)

Big Sky-1 (Portland State)

Big South-1 (Longwood)

Big West-1 (Hawaii)

Horizon League-1 (Valparaiso)

Ivy League-1 (Penn)

MAAC-1 (Marist)

MAC-1 (Central Michigan)

MEAC-1 (Hampton)

Missouri Valley-1 (UNI)

Moutain West-1 (San Diego State)

NEC-1 (Central Connecticut State)

Ohio Valley-1 (Jacksonville State)

Pacific Coast Softball Conference-1 (BYU)

Patriot League-1 (Army)

Southern-1 (Georgia Southern)

Southland-1 (Northwestern State)

Summit League-1 (IPFW)

SWAC-1 (Mississippi Valley State)

WAC-1 (San Jose State)

colt13

PostPosted: 05/13/13 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34, thanks for the breakdown.

The one bid leagues don't have many good chances to pull off an upset. The 3 with the best chances are Hawaii, with one of the nation's leaders in wins, Longwood, who's catcher has 30 HR's, and that team can hit, and San Diego State, which is more of a hitting team.

I haven't seen Valpo this year, but if they come out the way they did in the Louisville regional last year, they will be fun to watch.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/14/13 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:
GEF34, thanks for the breakdown.

The one bid leagues don't have many good chances to pull off an upset. The 3 with the best chances are Hawaii, with one of the nation's leaders in wins, Longwood, who's catcher has 30 HR's, and that team can hit, and San Diego State, which is more of a hitting team.

I haven't seen Valpo this year, but if they come out the way they did in the Louisville regional last year, they will be fun to watch.

No problem at all, I thought it was a bit interesting, and the battle of the SEC and the Pac-12 continues, yes the SEC got 11 teams, setting an NCAA record, but the Pac-12 got 8 of 9 teams where as the SEC got 11 of 13 teams, so it still very close, it's hard to say which is the better league because the Pac-12 obviously can only get 9 teams in so even if the did get all 9 teams in this year the SEC still would have broken the record. And 8 of 9 and 11-13 is still really good ratios for both teams, but you have to wonder with all the talk of parity in softball, to have 2 conferences get almost every team in the NCAA tournament still speaks volumes, and I think that says even more than the amount of the schools that have won the WCWS the last 5 years.

And of the 1 bid conferences, 2 of the 3 teams you listed, Hawaii and San Diego State were teams that I thought could make some noise and possible get into the Super Regionals if they were seeing the ball well and got a few bounces to go their way.

colt13

PostPosted: 05/14/13 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/05/2013ncaa_softball_champs/

Schedule for games. Their coverage is actually better than the women's basketball tournament, and if they did what they did last year, you will get an inning or two of an ESPN3 game between games of a regional.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 05/14/13 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

colt13 wrote:
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2013/05/2013ncaa_softball_champs/

Schedule for games. Their coverage is actually better than the women's basketball tournament, and if they did what they did last year, you will get an inning or two of an ESPN3 game between games of a regional.

So no coverage of the Seattle Regional? Sad

Edit: Free video at http://pac-12.com/live/gohuskies.aspx

ddubdawg

PostPosted: 05/15/13 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the women's softball tourney. It is just so exciting, the crowds are into it and I love the enthusiam that the players in the dugouts give their teams. I will definitely be going to the UofL regional and support my Cards. They got a little clunky near the end of the season, but I hope they can correct that. Ill be watching the rest of the tourney as much as I can because it is truly a blast and at least for me, very fan friendly.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/16/13 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ddubdawg wrote:
I love the women's softball tourney. It is just so exciting, the crowds are into it and I love the enthusiam that the players in the dugouts give their teams. I will definitely be going to the UofL regional and support my Cards. They got a little clunky near the end of the season, but I hope they can correct that. Ill be watching the rest of the tourney as much as I can because it is truly a blast and at least for me, very fan friendly.

I hope the Louisville is a great regional and you have a great time watching, but of course I'll be rooting for a different team in that regional. Wink

Go Bruins!!

ddubdawg

PostPosted: 05/16/13 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was super excited when I saw that UCLA was coming to town. Any time we can get a traditional power in town is awesome. Good luck to UCLA, IPFW, UAB and UofL. I just hope to see great competition.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/16/13 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 2013 All-Region Teams have been announced:

https://nfca.org/index.php/awards/nfca-all-americans/5197-2013-d1-all-region-teams

Below are the 1st team Honorees for each region.

Central
P-Keilani Ricketts, Oklahoma
P-Blaire Luna, Texas
C-Sarah Draheim, Louisiana at Lafayette
1B-Lauren Chamberlain, Oklahoma
2B-Olivia Watkins, Western Kentucky
3B-Taylor Hoagland, Texas
SS-Taylor Thom, Texas
OF-Brianna Cherry, Louisiana at Lafayette
OF-Brianna Turang, Oklahoma
OF-Kathy Shelton, Baylor
UT/P-Kim Bruins, Texas
DP/UT-Non-P-Sandy James, Texas Tech

Great Lakes
P-Laura Winter, Notre Dame
P-Sara Moulton, Minnesota
C-Whitney Massey, Wisconsin
1B-Alicja Wolny, Louisville
2B-Katie Keller, Louisville
3B-Kaitlyn Richardson, Minnesota
SS-Sierra Romero, Michigan
OF-Emilee Koerner, Notre Dame
OF-Cassidy Bell, Penn State
OF-Jennifer Gilbert, Ball State
UT/P-Kirsten Verdun, DePaul
DP/UT-Non-P-Mary Connolly, DePaul

Mid-Atlantic
P-Melanie Mitchell, University of Virginia
P-Kaitlyn Medlam, Georgia State
C-Gabby Luety, Fordham
1B-Jamie LaBovick, Fordham
2B-Kylie McGoldrick, Virginia Tech
3B-Morgan Decker, Lehigh
SS-Elise Fortier, Fordham
OF-Autumn Taylor, George Washington
OF-Katie Zavodny, Liberty
OF-Bria Green, Stony Brook
UT/P-Michele Daubman, Fordham
UT/P-Alex Peyton, Princeton
DP/UT-Non-P-Courtney Liddle, Virginia Tech

Mideast
P-Sara Nevins, South Florida
P-Hanna Mennenga, Eastern Illinois
C-Elizabeth Kay, Illinois State
1B-Laura Canopy, Illinois State
2B-Carly Willert, Eastern Illinois
3B-Alex McDavid, Southern Illinois-Edwardsville
SS-Kourtney Salvarola, South Florida
OF-Tomeka Watson, Elon
OF-Carleigh Nester, Elon
OF-Whitney Fletcher, Alabama at Birmingham
UT/P-Madeline Lynch-Crumrine, Bradley
UT/Non-P-Katelyn Bedwell, North Carolina at Greensboro

Midwest
P-Aimee Creger, Tulsa
P-Emily Lockman, Nebraska
C-Alex Hugo, Kansas
1B-Amy Baker, Creighton
2B-Ashley Burkhardt, Purdue
3B-Jill Barrett, Tulsa
SS-Megan Blank, Iowa
OF-Maggie Hull, Kansas
OF-Andie Varsho, Purdue
OF-Allie Mathewson, Nebraska at Omaha
UT/P-Tatum Edwards, Nebraska
DP/UT-Non-P-Tarah Ettinger, Oklahoma State

Northeast
P-Olivia Galati, Hofstra
P-Taryn Ashway, Saint Joseph's
C-Stephanie Pasquale, Temple
1B-Tiffany Meeks, Massachusetts
2B-Alex Reynolds, U.S. Military Academy
3B-Jess Hirschbuhl, Hofstra
SS-Sarah Prezioso, Temple
OF-Tessa Ziemba, Hofstra
OF-Caryn Bailey, Hofstra
OF-Jayme Mask, Boston
UT/P-Jailyn Ford, James Madison
DP/UT-Non-P-Sarah Mooney, James Madison

Pacific
P-Jolene Henderson, California
P-Jessica Moore, Oregon
C-Lindsey Ziegenhirt, California
1B-Hooch Fagaly, Washington
2B-Kaylan Howard, Oregon
3B-Danielle Henderson, California
SS-Courtney Ceo, Oregon
OF-Janie Takeda, Oregon
OF-Victoria Hayward, Washington
OF-Staci Rodriguez, New Mexico State
UT/P-Kaitlin Inglesby, Washington
DP/UT-Non-P-Alexa Peterson, Oregon

South
P-Hannah Campbell, South Alabama
P-Rachele Fico, LSU
C-Chelsea Zgrabik, Florida Gulf Coast
1B-Nicole Morgan, Texas A&M
2B-Kaila Hunt, Alabama
3B-Haley Fagan, South Alabama
SS-Brittany Fowler, South Alabama
OF-Kayla Braud, Alabama
OF-Haylie McCleney, Alabama
OF-A.J. Andrews, LSU
UT/P-Jackie Traina, Alabama
DP/UT-Non-P-Cali Lanphear, Texas A&M

Southeast
P-Chelsea Thomas, Missouri
P-Hannah Rogers, Florida
C-Megan Baltzell, Longwood
1B-Geri Ann Glasco, Georgia
2B-Lauren Gibson, Tennessee
3B-Raven Chavanne, Tennessee
SS-Madison Shipman, Tennessee
OF-Kaylee Puailoa, Georgia
OF-Kat Dotson,Tennessee
OF-Kori Nishitomi, Longwood
UT/P-Lauren Haeger, Florida
DP/UT-Non-P-Brooke Short, Longwood

West
P-Dallas Escobedo, Arizona State
P-Kaia Parnaby, Hawaii
C-Amber Freeman, Arizona State
1B-Hallie Wilson, Arizona
2B-Gracie Goulder, UCLA
3B-Haley Steele, Arizona State
SS-Cheyenne Coyle, Arizona State
OF-B.B. Bates, UCLA
OF-Patrice Jackson, San Diego State
OF-Kelly Majam, Hawaii
UT/P Ally Carda, UCLA
DP/UT-Non-P-Lorena Bauer, San Diego State

justynkarr

PostPosted: 05/16/13 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will cry if Oklahoma doesn't win. They were so good last year and were one storm away from winning the title. And they are just STACKED this year. Leading the country in Runs and ERA, how can they not be the overwhelming favorite???

Ricketts, Chamberlain, and Gascoigne are all in the Top 10 for Player of the Year honors...and I could have seen Pendley also being a finalist. She has been an amazing transfer into this program. Add in Shults, Turang, Casey, Martinez, and Vest (any of which can have big games) and they are going to be one tough team to beat in this tournament. Expecially since they will never have to travel far.

colt13

PostPosted: 05/17/13 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justynkarr wrote:
I will cry if Oklahoma doesn't win. They were so good last year and were one storm away from winning the title. And they are just STACKED this year. Leading the country in Runs and ERA, how can they not be the overwhelming favorite???

Ricketts, Chamberlain, and Gascoigne are all in the Top 10 for Player of the Year honors...and I could have seen Pendley also being a finalist. She has been an amazing transfer into this program. Add in Shults, Turang, Casey, Martinez, and Vest (any of which can have big games) and they are going to be one tough team to beat in this tournament. Expecially since they will never have to travel far.

I thought it was going to be Cal's year last year. Alabama eliminated them, and then Oklahoma.

There are good pitching teams, and good hitting teams, but Oklahoma is the best of both. Realistically, I would be shocked if they don't make the World Series, but the fact that their next opponents- Baylor, Texas A& M, and to some extent Arizona are familiar rivals hurts them a little, as opposed to a program that hasn't played them and gets psyched out by Ricketts before they step on the field.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/18/13 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know if it's exactly the same for every school that's not broadcasted on one of the espn networks, but last night and today UCLA has a link that takes you to the NCAA page that shows a live stream of the game, I tried looking on the NCAA web page for a schedule, but I couldn't find one. Perhaps if you are looking for a specific team to watch you can go to their athletic home page and their will be a link to a live stream for their game.

colt13

PostPosted: 05/18/13 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A programming note for those that have the Big 10 Network, Nebraska reached the regional final so both games(if necessary) will be shown.

colt13

PostPosted: 05/19/13 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Down to the Super Regionals!

SEC-6
Pac-12-3
Big 10-2
Big 12-2
ACC-1
CUSA-1
Sun Belt-1

Thoughts? Penn was one out away from beating Arizona.

Marshall rode Andi Williamson as far as they could. Same with Galati and Hofstra.

Louisville lost at home again. Hopefully they will get over the hump next year.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 05/20/13 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toughest loss was by South Alabama . 6-1 lead on Florida State going to the final inning of the final game . Gave up a grand slam to tie it and lost it in the 8th .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: