RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2014 mock draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/25/13 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Um,the teams listed first and second are going to make the playoffs, and the team with the worst record is listed eighth?

This thread's several months old. I doubt that website has been updated since the WNBA season began.

PostPosted: 08/25/13 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:

I mentioned in another thread that Thomas is too much like Maryland Marissa Coleman for me to feel comfortable taking that early.

Coleman lacks the lateral movement and footspeed to get the the basket and is not in the same league as Thomas when it comes to passing the ball.Brunson and Thomas are nothing alike imo.Brunson is a rebounding beast that can post up and step out for the 15 foot jumpshot.Thomas has a multi-skillset.she can Post up smaller defenders,take bigger defenders off the dribble,rebound,pass and can take the ball end to end on a fast break.You can give her the ball at the top of the 3pt line and she'll get to the basket,Coleman and Brunson can't really do that.She's still very raw and has lots of room for improvement.Thomas did not take that many 3 pointers but still hit 6-14,that's 43% not bad.She is the type of player Tulsa needs.

Another thing that I love about Thomas is her ball handling ability.She dribbles the ball waist high not chest high like you see some young players do.

toad455

PostPosted: 08/25/13 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

based on what might be the final standings, this is how the first round will likely look like.

1. Connecticut
2. San Antonio
3. Tulsa
4. New York
5. Washington
6. Seattle
7. Indiana
8. Phoenix
9. Atlanta
10. Los Angeles
11. Chicago
12. Minnesota

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
RP

PostPosted: 08/25/13 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
she can Post up smaller defenders,take bigger defenders off the dribble,rebound,pass and can take the ball end to end on a fast break.

"She" could be referring to Coleman in this sentence, as she also displayed a diverse skill set (including a reliable 3-point shot) at Maryland. Here are some highlights from her 42-point, 15-rebound game against Vanderbilt in the Sweet 16:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CjetNUuxQj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope Thomas does well, but you may be overestimating what she'll be able to do against bigger, more athletic players.

sammieee

PostPosted: 08/25/13 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be interested to see how Kayla McBride plays this year, but from what I saw last season, I would take her #3, after Chiney and Sims.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/25/13 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
zune69 wrote:
she can Post up smaller defenders,take bigger defenders off the dribble,rebound,pass and can take the ball end to end on a fast break.

"She" could be referring to Coleman in this sentence, as she also displayed a diverse skill set (including a reliable 3-point shot) at Maryland. Here are some highlights from her 42-point, 15-rebound game against Vanderbilt in the Sweet 16:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CjetNUuxQj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope Thomas does well, but you may be overestimating what she'll be able to do against bigger, more athletic players.

Coleman had a great game but most of that 42 was score on players 4 inches shorter than she is.Jennifer rispar's only 5'9.But I see your point,Coleman could post up smaller defenders.

bullsky

PostPosted: 08/25/13 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sammieee wrote:
I'll be interested to see how Kayla McBride plays this year, but from what I saw last season, I would take her #3, after Chiney and Sims.

I wouldn't go that far, but I think she could be the surprise of this draft. She's really strong, seems like a Brian Agler type of player to me.

PostPosted: 08/25/13 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
stever wrote:
Richyyy has mentioned this kid recently, Astou Ndour of Spain, by way of Senegal. She just turned 19 this week, is she next year's Emma Meesseman?

In that she'll be the first non-American drafted? Yes, probably. But there's a few of them next year, unlike the obvious individual option that was on offer this year with Meesse.

Who are some of the others?

PostPosted: 08/25/13 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would Sophia Young with a better handle be an apt comparison for Thomas?

I think Thomas is going to be a really good WNBA player, she is a tweener at the 3/4 but the rare 3/4 tweener who will be able to use it to her advantage. If the Liberty land at #2 or #3 in the lottery I think she is a good pick for us. Her and Pierson as our forwards would be a nice combo. Also because of her point-forward ability she would be a nice compliment to Pondexter at lead guard and Carson at the 2.

I also really like McBride and see her as a bigger/stronger version of Toliver. If the Liberty get into the playoffs I hope we pick her or Dolson at #5-7.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/25/13 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
stever wrote:
Richyyy has mentioned this kid recently, Astou Ndour of Spain, by way of Senegal. She just turned 19 this week, is she next year's Emma Meesseman?

In that she'll be the first non-American drafted? Yes, probably. But there's a few of them next year, unlike the obvious individual option that was on offer this year with Meesse.

Who are some of the others?

We talked about a few of them in this thread: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?p=1158301 . Valeriane Ayayi made France's full squad for EuroBasket Women this year, which is obviously going to draw attention to her (although the history of French players actually wanting to play in the WNBA won't).

Several of the Australians in their team for the tournament that thread's about are also eligible. Assuming eligibility rules remain the same in the next CBA.

PostPosted: 08/25/13 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
based on what might be the final standings, this is how the first round will likely look like.

1. Connecticut C.OGWUMIKE
2. San Antonio A.THOMAS
3. Tulsa C.GRAY
4. New York O.SIMS
5. Washington S.DOLSON
6. Seattle K.MCBRIDE
7. Indiana T.LISTON
8. Phoenix B.HARTLEY
9. Atlanta G.BRANDON
10. Los Angeles M.SIMMONS
11. Chicago A.NDOUR (sp) (SENEGAL)
12. Minnesota H.PETERS

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 08/25/13 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

2. San Antonio A.THOMAS
3. Tulsa C.GRAY
4. New York O.SIMS
5. Washington S.DOLSON
6. Seattle K.MCBRIDE
7. Indiana T.LISTON
8. Phoenix B.HARTLEY
9. Atlanta G.BRANDON
12. Minnesota H.PETERS

Regarding Chelsea Gray - not everybody knows she's 5'11 and can play 1,2 and 3. She and Skylar would be an awesome backcourt together. Chelsea plays hard all over the floor, rebounding, defense, etc and as awesome as she is at PG, she plays just as well off the ball. If Tulsa passes on her, they will be sorry - she sure will not get past Bill at NY.

~rAf
stever

PostPosted: 08/25/13 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While hardly a "sleeper", this kid is my might play her way into the high first round/lottery during senior year...pick:

...fwiw, she was ranked #2 behind Chiney comin' out of high school in 2010.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/25/13 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

2. San Antonio A.THOMAS
3. Tulsa C.GRAY
4. New York O.SIMS
5. Washington S.DOLSON
6. Seattle K.MCBRIDE
7. Indiana T.LISTON
8. Phoenix B.HARTLEY
9. Atlanta G.BRANDON
12. Minnesota H.PETERS

Simmons on the Sparks ? I don't know about that.Are there enough balls to go around ?

RavenDog

PostPosted: 08/25/13 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point in time:

C. Ogwumike
O. Sims
S. Dolson

The rest I think we need to see how they improved over last year.

noleman

PostPosted: 08/25/13 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
While hardly a "sleeper", this kid is my might play her way into the high first round/lottery during senior year...pick:

...fwiw, she was ranked #2 behind Chiney comin' out of high school in 2010.

I remember Howard's first game at FSU, I thought she was the female version of Kevin Durant. And she wowed the crowed when we all thought she was about to dunk a alley-hoop pass. I stated before that I don't believe semrau's system is designated for a "star" player but Howard has still played well with limited shots and I hope she can maximize her potential at the next level. I think she can be similar to a Glory Johnson type of player in the W.

I would like to see her combine the perimeter play that she showed her freshman season (minus the to's) with her strength and discipline of the last couple of seasons.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/25/13 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
Um,the teams listed first and second are going to make the playoffs, and the team with the worst record is listed eighth?

This thread's several months old. I doubt that website has been updated since the WNBA season began.

Exactly, just stating the whole thing is silly.

bullsky

PostPosted: 08/26/13 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
At this point in time:

C. Ogwumike
O. Sims
S. Dolson

The rest I think we need to see how they improved over last year.

No way do you leave Thomas off of that group. She has done just about everything for Maryland.

PostPosted: 08/26/13 9:36 am    ::: Hmmm Reply Reply with quote

Brandon, Hooper and Plaisance are going in the 1st round. McBride should probably be taken before Simms or Dolson or Gray but not before Thomas. Hartley would be after Simms and Gray but in the Top 10.

And Seattle is playing too well to be the first pick.

bullsky

PostPosted: 08/26/13 10:07 am    ::: Re: Hmmm Reply Reply with quote

LaLafan wrote:
Brandon, Hooper and Plaisance are going in the 1st round. McBride should probably be taken before Simms or Dolson or Gray but not before Thomas. Hartley would be after Simms and Gray but in the Top 10.

Theresa is too slow for the first round. Second round, maybe. But not 1st.

Interested in volume shooters like Shimmel and Ellenberg.

PostPosted: 08/26/13 10:57 am    ::: Re: Hmmm Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
LaLafan wrote:

Theresa is too slow for the first round. Second round, maybe. But not 1st.

Interested in volume shooters like Shimmel and Ellenberg.

Ellenberg is small and a horrible ballhandler.

I like Plaisance -- physicality is an issue, but she can shoot and if she can defend at the four, she'll have some value.

As for Thomas, you don't see many small forwards posting up in the league -- it's a nice thing to talk about, but posting up players who normally don't seldom works at this level.

First, it screws up the offense, and people aren't used to it. Second, if you pull the power forward and/or the center away from the hoop, their defenders don't blindly follow them as they often do in college. They'll just hang out near or in the paint to help. Third, at 6-2, Thomas will have only a few inches on other small forwards, and my impression that she's not a great leaper -- and most 5-10 small forwards in the WNBA can really jump.

For me, players need the skill set for their position, which for a WNBA small forward is the ability to shoot the three, the ability to deny penetration to quickness and handle the ball. Thomas can do one of those three (though she does turn the ball over a ton), so I just don't see her as a lottery pick based on what she's done so far. Now if she comes out and makes 35% of 100 threes this year, it's a different story.

PostPosted: 08/26/13 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Dolson has the physical attributes to be a first round pick then Plaisance has them too. They are both the same height, body type and have the same level of speed and quickness. They are equals.

PostPosted: 08/26/13 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm I missing something with Dolson. I like her as a player, but I don't see her as a lottery pick or as good as some are saying she is.

PostPosted: 08/26/13 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dolson is not a great player to be drafted as a lottery pick but she is first round worthy because of her size, skill, and basketball IQ. She is an Appel type post player.

PostPosted: 08/26/13 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
If Dolson has the physical attributes to be a first round pick then Plaisance has them too. They are both the same height, body type and have the same level of speed and quickness. They are equals.

Dolson is a banger. Plaisance is a finesse player. Quite different. I see Dolson making a similar type contribution as Bone this year - not a starter, but adequate as a backup post. Plaisance may take longer to adjust, but I think she has reasonable upside. Footspeed may be a problem for both of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 3 of 67

Jump to: