RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2014 mock draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 65, 66, 67  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/10/13 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I just don't see Slaughter as a WNBA player.

She's a 6-0 wing, and the fact that they had her on Griner does not give me great confidence that she can defend quickness in space.

She shot 43.2% overall, 35.8% from three and had more turnovers than assists. She seems like a good rebounder for her size, but unless she's a defensive demon on the perimeter, it's hard to see how a 10.1 ppg scorer in college is going to make a difference in the WNBA.

In addition, her three-point release is a little slow, so I would expect that percentage to go down.

FACTS! Dammit Clay, there you go injecting facts into the discussion!!!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/10/13 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

She's a 6-0 wing, and the fact that they had her on Griner does not give me great confidence that she can defend quickness in space.

She shot 43.2% overall, 35.8% from three and had more turnovers than assists. She seems like a good rebounder for her size, but unless she's a defensive demon on the perimeter, it's hard to see how a 10.1 ppg scorer in college is going to make a difference in the WNBA.

In addition, her three-point release is a little slow, so I would expect that percentage to go down.

Is she really a wing, or is she a slightly undersized stretch 4? Thinking Le'coe Willingham, Ebony Hoffman, Kelsey Griffin if she stops sucking, etc.

I say that as an honest open question, having not seen her play many times.

PostPosted: 05/10/13 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slaughter was a three for Louisville (Hammond played the four), and she just doesn't seem strong enough to go down in the paint, even for a while, and deal with someone like Nneka Ogwumike, say, or even Danielle Adams.

She shot really well for a few games in the tournament, and Kim Mulkey didn't scout enough (she was surprised that Slaughter took threes), but her career says she's another nice college player who will need to find work overseas.

PostPosted: 05/10/13 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CalwbbFan wrote:
Brandon will be a first round pick.

I agree. She's crazy athletic, and if you look at her EFF/poss this past season (.283), it's higher than 6 of the 12 players they project for the first round (Bias, Schimmel, Hartley, Walker, McBride, Lucas), and within .006 points of 2 more (Stallworth and Sims).

Brandon's gonna be a very good WNBA player. I really believe that.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/10/13 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:

I agree. She's crazy athletic, and if you look at her EFF/poss this past season (.283), it's higher than 6 of the 12 players they project for the first round (Bias, Schimmel, Hartley, Walker, McBride, Lucas), and within .006 points of 2 more (Stallworth and Sims).

Still can't finish around the rim and gets a good amount of her rebounds off put backs.

PostPosted: 05/10/13 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
CalwbbFan wrote:

Still can't finish around the rim and gets a good amount of her rebounds off put backs.

Interesting perspective, and fair enough. Her FG% (44.9) is probably not elite-level for a player at her position.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/10/13 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brandon could pull a GloJo though. GloJo couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in college and got a lot of her points off her own misses but she did quite nicely in Tulsa last year. Brandon is similar. Time will tell.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/10/13 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Brandon could pull a GloJo though. GloJo couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in college and got a lot of her points off her own misses but she did quite nicely in Tulsa last year. Brandon is similar. Time will tell.

Brandon has shot 45% 2FG or better once at Cal, while Johnson did it three times at Tennessee.

PostPosted: 05/10/13 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Way to early to have this thread ...just saying Rolling Eyes

X ______________________________X LOL!!! Razz Very Happy

PostPosted: 05/10/13 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

xwomynjoc wrote:
Russelin wrote:
Oh, and they left out Lauren Mincy. Kid has talent but she has had two ACL injuries.

I'm pretty sure Lauren will not be in the 2014 draft. She'll be a red-shirt junior next year.
I know I'm a Maryland homer but, Alyssa Thomas will be a top 3 pick. She won't have to carry the team like she had to this year and the pressure to make things happen won't be as heavy. she can be more herself...." Just Plain Good "

You got that right! No more AT having to play PG. She will be a beast next yr. Mincy will be in the 15 draft like you said. Talented girl but I'm afraid the ACL's are just too much for her--I predict she won't be the same type of scorer. I'm hoping I'm wrong of course

terpsforever

PostPosted: 05/10/13 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Slow release = Marissa Coleman. We see what a great career she's having.

babycoop09

PostPosted: 05/10/13 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's see if Slaughter continues her run next year if she does I think she would b a great fit in LA or Tulsa

D3113D0nn3

PostPosted: 05/11/13 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
ClayK wrote:

FACTS! Dammit Clay, there you go injecting facts into the discussion!!!

That last line seems more like an opinion, and didn't Kelly Faris score 10.2 ppg?

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/11/13 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good point about Faris, but she's known as a great defender, which Slaughter isn't. Faris also plays with a different group of teammates and is an unusual player.

I just don't see Slaughter as being special.

PostPosted: 05/12/13 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

im at fiu right now and i fell jerica coley is gonna be a sleeper pick in the wnba next year past two years was #2 and #1 in scoring and holds here own against higher competition Being that the sunblet sucks i feel she's went un noticed with fiu's move to C-usa hopefully that will pick up but not sure since the "good teams" in c-usa went big east and the good teams in sunblet are now c-usa

PostPosted: 05/12/13 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbashockballa wrote:
im at fiu right now and i fell jerica coley is gonna be a sleeper pick in the wnba next year past two years was #2 and #1 in scoring and holds here own against higher competition Being that the sunblet sucks i feel she's went un noticed with fiu's move to C-usa hopefully that will pick up but not sure since the "good teams" in c-usa went big east and the good teams in sunblet are now c-usa

Yeah, I've been impressed with her numbers but was expecting her to be bigger - very hard for SG from the non-major conferences, and especially small guards - to make it. Not impossible, but tough.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 08/25/13 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As we head towards the tail end of the season, the draft lover in me just can't help but to look forward towards some of the more sensible player-team pairings based upon where the standings are headed.

There is a clear five player head of the class with a couple of extras -

Ogwumike, Thomas, Dolson, Sims, and Gray.

Next up is McBride, Lucas, Shimmel, and Simmons.

Focusing on the early picks, I am hoping for something of this nature:

San Antonio - Chiney
Tulsa - Thomas
Connecticut - Dolson
New York - Sims
Washington - Gray

PostPosted: 08/25/13 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meghan Simmons is really overrated.

PostPosted: 08/25/13 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of the top five, the one I'm least sure about is Thomas because I just don't know what position she'll play. Is she physical enough to be a four? Is she quick enough and does she have enough perimeter game to be a three?

And I don't think the comparisons to Brunson hold, because before Brunson hurt her knee, she was one of the top two or three leapers in the entire league, and she's very, very athletic. I don't see Thomas in that category, and athleticism will determine if she can play the three (and by the way, Brunson couldn't).

The safe call for Thomas' future position is power forward, but how does she match up, say, with Glory Johnson or Nneka Ogwumike or Brunson? She's more like Swin Cash and Plenette Pierson, it seems to me, but at a similar age, I recall Cash and Pierson being quicker and faster.

All that said, Thomas is a very good player who does everything but block shots. She turns the ball over a lot (137 last year) but she also managed 181 assists so clearly she can do something with the ball.

I just wonder if Chelsea Gray, who's two inches shorter and a point guard, is the more valuable in the long run and though Sims doesn't have the size, she too has a position.

PostPosted: 08/25/13 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bria Hartley led Team USA in scoring at the World University Games. She looked healthy and ready for the start of the season. I would draft her ahead of most of the players mentioned in this thread.

stever

PostPosted: 08/25/13 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy has mentioned this kid recently, Astou Ndour of Spain, by way of Senegal. She just turned 19 this week, is she next year's Emma Meesseman?
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qwEYBMatdKI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/25/13 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Richyyy has mentioned this kid recently, Astou Ndour of Spain, by way of Senegal. She just turned 19 this week, is she next year's Emma Meesseman?

In that she'll be the first non-American drafted? Yes, probably. But there's a few of them next year, unlike the obvious individual option that was on offer this year with Meesse.

PostPosted: 08/25/13 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Of the top five, the one I'm least sure about is Thomas because I just don't know what position she'll play. Is she physical enough to be a four? Is she quick enough and does she have enough perimeter game to be a three?

And I don't think the comparisons to Brunson hold, because before Brunson hurt her knee, she was one of the top two or three leapers in the entire league, and she's very, very athletic. I don't see Thomas in that category, and athleticism will determine if she can play the three (and by the way, Brunson couldn't).

The safe call for Thomas' future position is power forward, but how does she match up, say, with Glory Johnson or Nneka Ogwumike or Brunson? She's more like Swin Cash and Plenette Pierson, it seems to me, but at a similar age, I recall Cash and Pierson being quicker and faster.

All that said, Thomas is a very good player who does everything but block shots. She turns the ball over a lot (137 last year) but she also managed 181 assists so clearly she can do something with the ball.

I just wonder if Chelsea Gray, who's two inches shorter and a point guard, is the more valuable in the long run and though Sims doesn't have the size, she too has a position.

I mentioned in another thread that Thomas is too much like Maryland Marissa Coleman for me to feel comfortable taking that early.

#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 08/25/13 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

I say Thomas is a 3, but she does seem like she going to need the ball in her hands a lot.
dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/25/13 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Um,the teams listed first and second are going to make the playoffs, and the team with the worst record is listed eighth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 2 of 67

Jump to: