RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Apple Introduces iPod That Plays Videos
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 10/20/05 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
OK so here is my iPod question: I use to computers that have different iTunes libraries. If I have the iPod loaded from one, then I plug it into the other one, it wipes out the old library and copies the new one on. What I want to do is just add a few songs from my work computer. Anyone know how you do that?

I don't know I don't even have an Ipod. But I've got similar questions. I already have like 20 zillion mp3s. I've been downloading songs since keegan was an embryo. (yeah, he was posting then too. Shocked)

I don't want to sign onto some service. I guess I have to use the Itunes software to copy songs to my Ipod... but I'm just guessing about that even. So I can put this music that I already have on the Ipod, right? the jammer ain't starting from scratch with no damn service. Evil or Very Mad

now, about the video. I don't know who among you will understand the technical stuff about this but this is what I wrote in a newsgroup just now. the possibilities of this thing could be revolutionary.

Quote:
Anyway. It seems to me that this could be something very VERY cool. The SVCD stuff would be overkill in terms of resolution. So that means that video would have to be encoded specifcially for the new ipod's 2.5 inch screen size. and hey.. that would mean that overall file size would be a fraction of what an SVCD is.think about that. 2 hour feature film at 150 mbs or so. I don't know. so a whole community of ipod movie rippers and posters would spring up doing stuff just for the ipod

and... if you're an independent movie maker or wannabe, you can distribute your film and have it be seen by millions more than it might ever be under the hollywood distribution model that exists today. far more people than do SVCDs from the newsgroups. Ipods are a huge success. So all those ipod people could go to YOUR website pay a small nominal fee and download what on the ipod is purported to look like hi-res or at least addictively sharp video, of YOUR movie. hmmm.

Think about it. You got a film and it gets just a little buzz either in the indie film community or elsewhere in the blogosphere and you now have millions of Ipod users who can easily access your work. So... one of these days before you know it, someone is going to create a truly great film, either fictional or documentary, and without ever getting or seeking a theatrical release or distribution deal, that film is going to catch on with the public and be seen exclusively by millions on their Ipods. Maybe offered for sale from the festivals websites. So Sundance sells, for instance, their festival winners as downloadable Ipod films from their website. Quiet a pedigree, there. (The chocolate and coke is kicking in now. )

And that, my friends, will be some ground shaking going on. Shocked

PostPosted: 10/20/05 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
OK so here is my iPod question: I use to computers that have different iTunes libraries. If I have the iPod loaded from one, then I plug it into the other one, it wipes out the old library and copies the new one on. What I want to do is just add a few songs from my work computer. Anyone know how you do that?

this is apple's concession to the music industy, its way of preventing wanton proliferation of unauthorized copied music. (and please, stever or anyone else, please correct me on any of this, because i'm still kinda sorting it out.) in theory, an ipod can belong to just one computer. so if you plug it into a foreign computer, it says, "okay, so now you're my new owner.

(that is different, btw, from having two or more ipods belonging to the same computer. you can have multiple pods belong to one puter; the trick is to give them independent names so itunes isn't confused.)

i'm having the same issue because i'd like to sync my pod with my work computer and get all the music on there. the good news is, there is software out there that will solve it for you. it's probably not free, and apple can say at least it did it's part. i'll be looking for that software myself (i'm sure there's more than one), so i'll post it when i find it. there's one in particular i looked at before, but i forgot the name.

the only other thing you can do is burn a cd, then import the music to your second puter from the cd. that's a bear.

i've posted the link before, but i can't say enough about playlistmag.com and ilounge.com. those guys are your saviors, not apple. and also doug adams' website, where you can find all his wonderful applescripts to do things apple never thought of or intended.

PostPosted: 10/20/05 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
I don't know I don't even have an Ipod. But I've got similar questions. I already have like 20 zillion mp3s. I've been downloading songs since keegan was an embryo. (yeah, he was posting then too. Shocked)

I don't want to sign onto some service. I guess I have to use the Itunes software to copy songs to my Ipod... but I'm just guessing about that even. So I can put this music that I already have on the Ipod, right? the jammer ain't starting from scratch with no damn service. Evil or Very Mad

jammer, you don't need to use itunes to use an ipod, but you'd be crazy not to. the interface is brilliant. and when you download itunes 6.0 for FREE (did you get that? it's free, right now, and you don't even need a pod), the one that gives you extra video capabilities, you'll see why apple was more clever'n the devil in the way it designed the itunes store (which you don't have to use, i'm just sayin'). the store is basically a browser built into the app window. so when you sample a tune, you can just drag it right into a playlist for safekeeping or a reminder of the music you listened to. you can browse the store and never buy. (they do have some freebies in there.)

so you can have itunes right now, just as you can have musicmatch or some other free program. when you download video, it can play right in that window or launch another window, however you set it.

plus, itunes has that great retro-'70s visualizer.

but to answer your question, you don't pay for any service. you download the browser for free, and that's it. you don't ever need to go to the itunes store. if and when you do, it's no different from going to tower.com on the web - you just do it all in that app.

PostPosted: 10/20/05 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know how it works with iTunes in PC, but I think there's a setting in Mac that allows you to manually handle the library so that you can hook an iPod to two computers. I don't remember the exact commands, but I'd know 'em if I tried them. It's manual something, I remember that much.

PostPosted: 10/20/05 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

jammer, you don't need to use itunes to use an ipod, but you'd be crazy not to. the interface is brilliant. and when you download itunes 6.0 for FREE (did you get that? it's free, right now, and you don't even need a pod),

oh you know I'm fine with it but the question is why?

can I use the Itunes software to interface with my own mp3 folders on my computers? cause I don't need any more music, bibber, from anyone. I've got stacks of CDs I'll never get to anyway. If Itunes is the software for me placing mp3s that are already in my possesion ON TO my Ipod then great.

PostPosted: 10/20/05 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
sebibb wrote:

jammer, you don't need to use itunes to use an ipod, but you'd be crazy not to. the interface is brilliant. and when you download itunes 6.0 for FREE (did you get that? it's free, right now, and you don't even need a pod),

oh you know I'm fine with it but the question is why?

can I use the Itunes software to interface with my own mp3 folders on my computers? cause I don't need any more music, bibber, from anyone. I've got stacks of CDs I'll never get to anyway. If Itunes is the software for me placing mp3s that are already in my possesion ON TO my Ipod then great.

what are you asking, jammer? which of the many questions you have asked do you want answered?

try downloading the puppy. you can always uninstall it, if you like. point itunes to all your music and you're set. it's a music-managing program. but i think your multitudinous questions, and mutations thereof, can best be answered by personal observation.

PostPosted: 10/20/05 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
your multitudinous questions, and mutations thereof, can best be answered by personal observation.

And they said I weren't smart. Very Happy

PostPosted: 10/20/05 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

try downloading the puppy. you can always uninstall it, if you like. point itunes to all your music and you're set. it's a music-managing program.

Hmmm. Well I'm a Windows dude. Folders and drives and files. All that fun stuff. I'm going to want to put my songs in my own folders. Playlists are cool but I got to know where everything is. Shocked

Or I won't be able to sleep at night. Shocked

I guess though, if I'm going to be getting an Ipod, it would behoove the jammer to become familiar with the default file (music and video and images) organizing conventions.

I already downloaded Itunes about a month ago but never used it. I do like stumbling around through my folders looking for things. Confused

PostPosted: 10/20/05 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I don't know how it works with iTunes in PC, but I think there's a setting in Mac that allows you to manually handle the library so that you can hook an iPod to two computers. I don't remember the exact commands, but I'd know 'em if I tried them. It's manual something, I remember that much.

i believe that's for having two pods and one computer, as i have. i auto-sync my big pod, but choose manual for my baby pod. but pumatty's problem is that, as apple designed it, only one library can control the ipod. or rather, apple has it set up so that music doesn't go from a pod to a library. so when connected to another puter, the prompt gives you two choices: erase what's on the pod (so that library can be sync'd) or ignore it.

it's explained here, along with some suggested third-party software to do the job. i've heard good things about ipod agent (for windows).

http://playlistmag.com/help/2005/01/2waystreet/

PostPosted: 10/20/05 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
Queenie wrote:

i believe that's for having two pods and one computer, as i have. i auto-sync my big pod, but choose manual for my baby pod. but pumatty's problem is that, as apple designed it, only one library can control the ipod. or rather, apple has it set up so that music doesn't go from a pod to a library. so when connected to another puter, the prompt gives you two choices: erase what's on the pod (so that library can be sync'd) or ignore it.

it's explained here, along with some suggested third-party software to do the job. i've heard good things about ipod agent (for windows).

http://playlistmag.com/help/2005/01/2waystreet/

The only reason I remember that is because I was trying to hook up the boyfriend with music from my best friend the music maven, so I borrowed his iPod and plopped it into her dock. Which, yes, would be two iPods to one computer, but also one iPod to two computers.

PostPosted: 10/21/05 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

correction/clarification to an earlier post: the utility i was looking for (pumatty) and which i recommend is called podutil. here's an except from ilounge.com, which describes the issue of copying music from pod to computer, and the solutions:

This tutorial has been, by far, the most anticipated and most requested in our entire iPod 101/201 series. Many, many users have recognized that while Apple has reached near perfection when it comes to ease-of-use when loading the iPod and organizing music, there is an overt omission of the ability to easily transfer music from an iPod to a computer.

---

How does iLounge proceed with a detailed tutorial on a procedure which requires third-party software, for an audience that includes many readers who use both Mac and Windows-based environments? Quite simply, we have chosen to write the following tutorial using PodUtil, as its interface and feature set are identical on both platforms. PodUtil is a very nice, very capable piece of software that most users will be pleased with. Note that whichever software you decide to use, the interface and procedure will likely be quite similar to the following:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/copying-music-from-ipod-to-computer/

PostPosted: 10/23/05 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

more corrections and clarifications: queenie has a good memory, and i was half-correct.

it's true that you can, in fact, transfer music from your pod to another computer. you must switch it to "manual update," as queenie said, but you also must enable "disk mode" - in other words, set your pod to be used as a hard disk. (this is the same thing you'd do if you partitioned your ipod so you could have music but also store data as a portable drive.)

so it's possible to do what you need to do, pumatty, but not simply by plugging in your pod - if you do, you'll get those "ownership" questions about whether to ignore your music content or overwrite it.

here're the details on how to set your pod for disk mode:

http://www.tekserve.com/seminars/detail.php?id=179

yes, this is my lot - grabbing on to an issue like a bulldog and not loosening my bite until it's resolved . . .

PostPosted: 10/23/05 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:

yes, this is my lot - grabbing on to an issue like a bulldog and not loosening my bite until it's resolved . . .

Really wish you weren't like that.

Cool

PostPosted: 10/23/05 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
sebibb wrote:

Really wish you weren't like that.

Cool

perhaps i should've said "problem," instead of "issue." but don't worry - it doesn't hurt. just means i can't have fun till the thing is solved. i wouldn't make a very good scientist.

PostPosted: 10/23/05 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Hmmm. Well I'm a Windows dude. Folders and drives and files. All that fun stuff. I'm going to want to put my songs in my own folders. Playlists are cool but I got to know where everything is. Shocked

Jammer I've been running with an Archos jukebox which is just a glorified hard drive with files and folders, etc. but it just crapped out on me. Big problem, massive files on it I've got to get at.

What seems to be the biggest advantage from what I hear is if I've got collections (which I have many, as I'm sure you do) with the jukebox I've got the same file in 6 or 7 places.

With the ipod playlists, you can have the thing in one place and then put it in all your different playlists.

sambista

PostPosted: 10/23/05 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Jammer I've been running with an Archos jukebox which is just a glorified hard drive with files and folders, etc. but it just crapped out on me. Big problem, massive files on it I've got to get at.

What seems to be the biggest advantage from what I hear is if I've got collections (which I have many, as I'm sure you do) with the jukebox I've got the same file in 6 or 7 places.

With the ipod playlists, you can have the thing in one place and then put it in all your different playlists.

that's true, and a very good way of boiling it down, dts. in itunes, you have all your music files in a "library." let's say you've got "saveiros" by elis regina (which i'm sure you do, jammer . . .). well, you import her, and she sits in a folder that ultimately sits in THE itunes folder. but all of your playlists are contained in an xml file that simply points to where that tune should be played. so you can find the song in your library. but you can have that tune in your "hot brazilian singers" playlist, your "female vocalists" playlist, your "great way to wake up in the morning" playlist, your workout playlist, your "best of elis regina" playlist, etc. it's still just one song sitting on your hard drive. and when you delete them from any given list, or if you deleted all those playlists, the song would still be sitting in your library, and in that folder, untouched.

PostPosted: 10/24/05 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Well I can do that, d. I make many playlists with the same song that I only have one copy of. But that's on my computer. I don't have a portable player of any kind right now.

But... as I was telling bibb in an email... what the Itunes has very graphically reminded me off is how many multiples copies I have of songs on my machine. This has always been a problem for me. I pointed Itunes at my main music folder which contains a bunch of sub folders containing the music files and there my problem is in my face. Hundreds upon hundreds of doubles and even some triples.

I've got an album by Arturo Sandoval. Two copies of the damn thing I've never listened to it ONCE that I know of. I just noticed two copies of Georgie Girl by the Seekers. That I'd have one copy of Georgie Girl is a personal disgrace... but TWO?

Embarassed

Anyway... I'm off on a tangent.

What I wish Itunes had was more simple
Windows functionality. Let me select the extras and delete them. It won't do that. Show me the folders the songs are in so I know if I'm listening to my favorite copy of a song or can go do some easy housekeeping. It won't do that either. Itunes is going to take some getting used to for me because I had no real problems before. I made playlists. I'm still not seeing what the big deal is here. I like the search feature though. That's nice. I guess I have to learn the terminology though like 'sync' and stuff like that if I'm going to use an Ipod. That's the only reason I'm playing with Itunes.

PostPosted: 10/24/05 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
What I wish Itunes had was more simple
Windows functionality. Let me select the extras and delete them. It won't do that. Show me the folders the songs are in so I know if I'm listening to my favorite copy of a song or can go do some easy housekeeping. It won't do that either. Itunes is going to take some getting used to for me because I had no real problems before. I made playlists. I'm still not seeing what the big deal is here. I like the search feature though. That's nice. I guess I have to learn the terminology though like 'sync' and stuff like that if I'm going to use an Ipod. That's the only reason I'm playing with Itunes.

jammer, i think you ask too much. you want itunes to have the power to delete files on your computer. all it's supposed to do is give you an interface to play your music the way you'd like, and even organize the way you'd like to play your music. seems to me if itunes started doing what you want it to do, some poeple (maybe most people) might complain that it has too much control over the integrity of your data. you definitely get more from itunes if you have an mp3 player. (in the new york area, virtually everyone has an mp3 player, but i realize that's not the case in other parts of the country, especially l.a., where everyone drives solo in their cars with their own souped-up stereo systems.) but i also use itunes to control how i play my music at home. even tho i have a cd player, i rarely use it these days. i have airport express, the little power brick that allows me to run a line from the ac brick to my receiver and receive a wireless signal from my mac. my ibook sends a signal to airport express to play my music through itunes, controlling the volume, the tracks played, everything. (it's called air tunes.) can't beat that with a stick! of all the things i could sing about the mac, this is the single greatest perk, in my book. now i'm on a tangent. but my point is, itunes is my music manager, but not to the extent of moving files around and deleting them. you can, however, tell itunes to manage where future imported music files will go.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: