RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Is Manti Te'o's girlfriend an internet hoax?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psheehy

PostPosted: 01/18/13 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was using this story to illustrate to my children how quickly and easily a single lie can grow into an uncontrollable nightmare web of lies. He was lying so much he couldn't remember which lies he had told. Even if he isn't lying about having been duped, he lied about everything else in terms of their relationship.

1) Think about "what if?" he had gotten that lottery ball in 2015....
2) Remember to watch some NCAA games
3) Invest in mystical restorative ointments for hips, knees, backs and well everything.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/18/13 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing that leads me to at least hold off on judgment is that ND AD Swarbrick was so strong in his support of T'eo.

I'm thinking that if there was any doubt that he wouldn't put his job and reputation on the line like that. IDK.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/18/13 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
One thing that leads me to at least hold off on judgment is that ND AD Swarbrick was so strong in his support of T'eo.

I'm thinking that if there was any doubt that he wouldn't put his job and reputation on the line like that. IDK.

Given his support of Kelly after the death of Declan Sullivan, I think I will take Swarbrick with an oceans worth of salt. He is a piece of shit, and pieces of shit act like pieces of shit.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/18/13 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Given his support of Kelly after the death of Declan Sullivan, I think I will take Swarbrick with an oceans worth of salt. He is a piece of shit, and pieces of shit act like pieces of shit.

For example, Notre Dame promoted the fundraiser on behalf of the dead girlfriend (including sending a videographer to NY to interview the alum behind it and posting the interview on their web site) well after Te'o told the administration that he knew she didn't exist.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/18/13 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

He shed no tears for Lizzy Seeberg nor did the school hire private investigators to look into her claims but all of that is, I suppose, besides Ex-Ref's point.

Notre Dame is screwed as they should be. This kid, but especially this school, simply CAN NOT have dragged this country's emotions through the ringer over the death of a girlfriend the player had never actually met. Notre Dame couldn't have participated in this if they'd know that. They wouldn't have. They, not the player, would have to be the easiest mark in history, or whatever they called him.

I would just like to ask the kid did he tell anyone at Notre Dame, ANYONE, that he'd never actually met the girl. I'd like to ask Notre Dame did they know he'd never actually met the girl and if they did know that how could they have gone on this gut-wrenching human interest story/ride with this kid ... and/or ... if they DIDN'T know he'd never actually met her... how do they feel about HIM going ahead with this taking the entire country on this ride without ever actually having met the girl.

I think also... uh... just an example of how off the wall our thinking has become ... I've heard this a few times already but here it is expressed by Charles P. Pierce of Esquire.

"Even if you believe Te'o to be a grifter's mark when the whole thing began, and I am less sure of that almost by the hour, he certainly realized he had a good thing going and kept up his end of the bargain even after he says he'd become aware of the con."

What kind of Saturday morning cartoon world are we living in that an Esquire political writer, not to mention probably untold others, you know... put it all together and it shakes out this craziness. How could he believe THAT? lol. A truly and completely innocent and famous young man with an incredible future ahead of him, is a VICTIM of an online catfishing scam... discovers that he's been scammed... and says... HEY... I'M NOW GOING TO BE ONE OF THE CONSPIRATORS ... MYSELF! Deciding to take advantage of the scam himself and benefit from it? Put yourself or anyone you know in this person's place. Minding your everyday business on the road to your future. And you find out that you've been badly scammed. Seriously. How RARE is it, in feet on the ground reality, that a victim of that would say, OKAY, I think I'm going to participate in this one myself. I LIKE IT! Ugh... even if it is possible... and it is... the idea that anyone would be falling for any of this to the point of attaching even THAT much victimhood to this guy... is just living in a cartoon world. One in I don't know... a million people in this guy's situation would have actually JOINED in on his own scamming at the point of learning about it... I don't know. The idea could pop into any of our heads, I guess, but writing about it in Esquire as if it's even a remotely likely scenario is just nuts.

PostPosted: 01/18/13 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just heard that Te'o did a video interview with ESPN, but they're not going to air the video.

ESPN is supposed to do a report after the NBA game that is currently on.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/19/13 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's late, I'm up, I'm listening. A lot on the question of his never having met her.

He blames that on 'what he did' with his dad. Meaning, lying about having met her because he KNEW, he says, himself that it would seem weird that he never actually had met her. Sooo.. that brings us to two quotes from tonights interview. Well, after a bottle of wine ... we can't REALLY call them quotes but their pretty close.

Manti says... that he would "NEVER be a part of this" and that once the facts are out everyone will know he couldn't have been a part of this. That brings the jammer to the second (verbatim) quote. And I'll leave it at that.

"I, you know, tailored my stories to have people think that, yeah, 'he met her.'

Some of you effers are smarter than me. What does it mean when someone says he would never be a part of something like this ('this' meaning SO many different things to so many of us but to MOST, however, I would think it means dragging the country through the heart-wrenching storyline of his 'girlfriend's death) but then it turns out he actually has LIED to his father... and then maintained that lie to the country at large wherein he... quote.. TAILORED MY STORIES to have people think that...

and here's my question... that he slips into the second person...

"HE" met her.

These are screaming red flags. I don't have anything else to say. But everything here means something. It can all be broken down as revealing everything bad about how this person's mind works. He's a liar. He admits lying to his father and then... admits in the abstract to simply expanding upon that lie to cover what the rest of the sports watching world might think of the fact that he'd never met her. But he could never be a 'part' of any of this. Except that he 'tailored' his stories to cover up the fact that he'd never met her.

"SO THAT PEOPLE WOULDN'T THINK THAT I'M SOME CRAZY DUDE."

Shocked

PostPosted: 01/19/13 2:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
It's late, I'm up, I'm listening. A lot on the question of his never having met her.

He blames that on 'what he did' with his dad. Meaning, lying about having met her because he KNEW, he says, himself that it would seem weird that he never actually had met her. Sooo.. that brings us to two quotes from tonights interview. Well, after a bottle of wine ... we can't REALLY call them quotes but their pretty close.

Manti says... that he would "NEVER be a part of this" and that once the facts are out everyone will know he couldn't have been a part of this. That brings the jammer to the second (verbatim) quote. And I'll leave it at that.

"I, you know, tailored my stories to have people think that, yeah, 'he met her.'

Some of you effers are smarter than me. What does it mean when someone says he would never be a part of something like this ('this' meaning SO many different things to so many of us but to MOST, however, I would think it means dragging the country through the heart-wrenching storyline of his 'girlfriend's death) but then it turns out he actually has LIED to his father... and then maintained that lie to the country at large wherein he... quote.. TAILORED MY STORIES to have people think that...

"HE" met her.

These are screaming red flags. I don't have anything else to say. But everything here means something. It can all be broken down as revealing everything bad about how this person's mind works. He's a liar. He admits lying to his father and then... admits in the abstract to simply expanding upon that lie to cover what the rest of the sports watching world might think of the fact that he'd never met her. But he could never be a 'part' of any of this. Except that he 'tailored' his stories to cover up the fact that he'd never met her.

Shocked

Yeah, jammer, have another glass of wine. Toast your intuition. Well said.

PostPosted: 01/19/13 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eclair when you're telling a story about yourself or your history or past actions. and you are historically recalling your projecting what people were/are going to think or say about you ... and in the telling you use the second person to refer to yourself... okay? lol. That's all I'm sayin'. We get on athletes and celebs all the time for referring to themselves in the second person. Swoopes was particularly bad about it. I do it with 'the jammer' as a straight up parody of all that. But this is the ACTUAL bad mind set at work. And it's not really that deep or dark. It's pretty simple but revealing. He's TELLING everyone that he's SO very cognizant about what people are going to say or think about his 'story' that he's actually projecting the quoting of their thoughts.

Question: We're you in any way a part of this?

Manti: No. Never.

Question: Never?

Manti: Ever. Would I be part of this.

Later.

"I even knew that it was crazy that I was with someone that I didn't meet. And that alone... people find out that... this girl who died... that was I so invested in... I didn't meet her... as well. So... I kind of tailored my stories to have people think, 'Yeah, HE met her', before she passed away. So that people wouldn't think that I"m some crazy dude."

How is that not being a part of it? Come on, Man(ti)!

PostPosted: 01/19/13 2:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When does an imaginary friend become a mental illness? Before or after publication? Wink

PostPosted: 01/19/13 5:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

"HE" met her.

Shocked

I still don't know what to believe, but what he told his dad about meeting her doesn't matter. It wouldn't make a bit of difference if he had told his dad that he hadn't met her in person, only online. First, we (the public) probably wouldn't have even thought about it, we would just assume that they had met.

It's splitting some pretty fine hairs to say that he was definitely in on the hoax just because he told what may well have been a little white lie.

I can see how all of this could be true, yet I'm still not willing to say it isn't a hoax. I don't know what it would take for me to decide either way. A polygraph? Every news outlet doing their own investigation and saying he wasn't in on the hoax? Maybe if I could read all of the communication between Te'o and Lennae - see a paper trail. I'm still not willing to call the guy a liar.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/19/13 7:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ref, he admitted tonight that he lied to his dad about having met her and then allowed that misconception or assumption to stand and go public and, of course, propagate and become part of the story of the 2012 football season as well as become established in the national consciousness.

He might have thought at some point, if he were only a normal and semi-honest young man capable of only actual white lies... that holy smokes... this little fiction he told his father about meeting the girl is now going to be assumed by the entire sports-loving country and that erroneous or dishonest assumption will form the basis of the public's perception of him and his incredible bravery in the face of personal tragedy.

He should have been thinking something like, I lied (or misled) my dad but I better contain or completely abandon the idea of allowing any mention of this girlfriend I've never met to become public information... no matter how broken up I might be over her numerous travails. Instead, upon learning of her car accident and subsequent illness and death ... he chose to bring this girlfriend to widespread public awareness.

And all to augment his own story. To put the spotlight on himself and bring more fame to himself.

PostPosted: 01/19/13 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
eclair when you're telling a story about yourself or your history or past actions. and you are historically recalling your projecting what people were/are going to think or say about you ... and in the telling you use the second person to refer to yourself... okay? lol. That's all I'm sayin'. We get on athletes and celebs all the time for referring to themselves in the second person. Swoopes was particularly bad about it. I do it with 'the jammer' as a straight up parody of all that. But this is the ACTUAL bad mind set at work. And it's not really that deep or dark. It's pretty simple but revealing. He's TELLING everyone that he's SO very cognizant about what people are going to say or think about his 'story' that he's actually projecting the quoting of their thoughts.

Later.

"I even knew that it was crazy that I was with someone that I didn't meet. And that alone... people find out that... this girl who died... that was I so invested in... I didn't meet her... as well. So... I kind of tailored my stories to have people think, 'Yeah, HE met her', before she passed away. So that people wouldn't think that I"m some crazy dude."

Actually, the use of the third person makes sense because he wasn't concerned about what people were going to say to him but rather about him.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/19/13 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

Later.

Actually, the use of the third person makes sense because he wasn't concerned about what people were going to say to him but rather about him.

First, I meant third person and not second. Second... that's my whole point, Nerd. He was very concerned about what people might say or think about him. That was on his mind, a motivation behind his public statements and actions. (And he says he would never EVER be a part of this. Rolling Eyes Dude... you are the ONLY part of this that the public ever knew or heard from!) But in conveying that concern now, for him to actually voice (in third person) what people (in this case what he hoped they) might think is maybe a revealing little psychological tell. Thirdly, uh, a couple of glasses of wine later and I'm attaching WAY too much significance to shit ... so don't mind me. Dude admitted he 'tailored his'stories' in order to manipulate people's opinions of him. That's the take away from the interview that matters. He may not know it yet but I think that admission will end up being the turning point in this entire little matter of the made-up girlfriend.

PostPosted: 01/19/13 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't mean to be mean or silly, but is there a reason why the public should care about this? Shouldn't we as a nation have other matters of importance to discuss? Just asking ...

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
pilight

PostPosted: 01/19/13 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:
I don't mean to be mean or silly, but is there a reason why the public should care about this? Shouldn't we as a nation have other matters of importance to discuss? Just asking ...

You could ask the same about any sports related subject

PostPosted: 01/19/13 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
shyguy1701 wrote:

I guess I just don't understand why this is an important story.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/19/13 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:

Excellent point and question, really. I think for me it's admittedly to some degree a fascination with the train wreck of it all. But this is a very complex fraud that had many hands and entities touching it and that also makes it interesting. For instance, in my opinion, Notre Dame university is still to this moment presenting a hoax, albeit a much different one, to the public. The sports media empire ESPN, by way of their reporter who interviewed Manti last night and declared afterwords that he's "very credible" and that "I believe him" is also by carelessly and prematurely weighing in on Manti's behalf perpetuating a slow motion train wreck. In the end, I guess it will matter to many people that a giant pile of emotional bullshit was invented and rammed down their throats when all they really wanted was to watch some football.

PostPosted: 01/19/13 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:
pilight wrote:
shyguy1701 wrote:

It isn't important. Neither is 99% of what gets covered as "news".

PostPosted: 01/19/13 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why isn't it important what's being put into our minds? Our culture is feeding off of this pablum and it's impacting who we are. How isn't any of that important? And how isn't all that we're learning about this, including seeing first hand the incredible journalistic weaknesses of the sports news media on display... how is that not important? Notre Dame being further exposed, et cetera.

PostPosted: 01/19/13 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shyguy1701 wrote:

I'm still trying to figure that out more than I am the actual story (which I don't care about). Let's say he lied about it. So what? Is this really more important than Lance Armstrong's story?

The fascination seems to be driven by the ego of the media about being lied to.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 01/19/13 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please allow me to backtrack just a bit. Don't get me wrong, this story is important. At least to someone. Name something in the world and it will always be important to someone. I'm just trying to figure out where it lies on the important scale?

Thanks to this thread though, I now have two overused, useless, meaningless words in the English language on my list: "Important" and "Boring."

pilight

PostPosted: 01/19/13 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Edited transcript of his interview with Jeremy Schaap

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8859544&wjb

Quote:
MANTI TE'O: I was Facebook -- she friend requested me on Facebook the winter of my freshman year at Notre Dame. And I introduced myself through message via Facebook. I just -- simple, I'm Manti. I saw you friend requested me, feel free to talk. Just simple, general introductions. And we just got to know each other just as acquaintances. It was nothing big, nothing spectacular, nothing greater than that.

And what people don't realize is it ended. My relationship with Lennay wasn't a four-year relationship. There were blocks and times and periods in which we would talk and then it would end. She would go her way and I would go my way. And then months would go by and out of the blue she'd call me or she'd text me say: How are you doing? And we'd talk for a period of time again. And she would leave to Europe. And all of a sudden things would stop again. And I would go my way again and she would go her way. And kind of could see 

Quote:
JEREMY SCHAAP: What kind of interactions did you have with Pookah?

MANTI TE'O: She ran over, gave me a big hug. She brought me a Build a Bear that she named Princess La La after Lennay. But she rarely spoke when I met her. While we were at the table, she rarely spoke. The one who mainly spoke was Ronaiah, so she kind of just sat there and was quiet. Sometimes she'd ask me like can I take a picture with Skylar Diggins? So I took her up, and took a picture with Skylar Diggins and brought her back. Other than that, she was fairly quiet.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/19/13 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if it's on REBKELL, it's important!

PostPosted: 01/19/13 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Ref, he admitted tonight that he lied to his dad about having met her and then allowed that misconception or assumption to stand and go public and, of course, propagate and become part of the story of the 2012 football season as well as become established in the national consciousness.

He might have thought at some point, if he were only a normal and semi-honest young man capable of only actual white lies... that holy smokes... this little fiction he told his father about meeting the girl is now going to be assumed by the entire sports-loving country and that erroneous or dishonest assumption will form the basis of the public's perception of him and his incredible bravery in the face of personal tragedy.

He should have been thinking something like, I lied (or misled) my dad but I better contain or completely abandon the idea of allowing any mention of this girlfriend I've never met to become public information... no matter how broken up I might be over her numerous travails. Instead, upon learning of her car accident and subsequent illness and death ... he chose to bring this girlfriend to widespread public awareness.

And all to augment his own story. To put the spotlight on himself and bring more fame to himself.

You're never going to get past that, are you? That he 'lied' to his dad? And you're going to allow that to be the trees that prevent you from seeing the forest.

Until you're able to see the forest, I'm done.

Actually, I'm done. I tried. You can type til your heart's content, I don't care, I won't read it. Have fun!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: