RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dual Sport Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/29/05 10:37 am    ::: Dual Sport Question Reply Reply with quote

I saw Stanford-UCLA in women's volleyball the other day. Great match.

I was very impressed with Stanford freshman Foluke Akinradewo, who I also know was a former Street & Smith All American hoops player.

With a big time volleyball program like Stanford's, will she be able to play hoops if she wants to?

pilight

PostPosted: 09/29/05 10:47 am    ::: Re: Dual Sport Question Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
With a big time volleyball program like Stanford's, will she be able to play hoops if she wants to?

It's been done before. Kristen Folkl played both at Stanford.

PostPosted: 09/29/05 10:50 am    ::: Re: Dual Sport Question Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Stanford has a strong history of dual basketball/volleyball athletes. Folkl and Yamasaki were two prominent dual athletes. Candice Wiggins was thinking of walking onto the volleyball team but decided to only train with them. Volleyballer Sara McGee walked onto the Stanford team a couple years back to provide another big body in the middle when they were short of players. So yes, she might be able to do it if she wants to.
gopher5

PostPosted: 09/29/05 12:04 pm    ::: Re: Dual Sport Question Reply Reply with quote

I was wondering about Candice and whether she was going to play on the volleball team as well this year. I did not see her in a match between the Cardinal and USC that was on TV, but forgot to follow up.

MN does not seem to allow their athletes to play both basketball and volleyball. Kelly Roysland was Ms. Volleyball in high school and was recruited for both vb and bb. She decided to play basketball. I remember reading her freshman year that it was a tough decision. Mike Hebert (VB coach) does not allow his players to do both.

On a related note, Liz Podominick is on both the basketball and track teams.

Keegan

PostPosted: 09/29/05 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Tara Vanderveer likes it very much either. I think Lindsey Yamasaki had to choose after a year or two and Candice may have been influenced by Tara to only play basketball. I'm not sure what the volleyball coach thinks about it.
dtsnms

PostPosted: 09/29/05 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I should note that to the best of my knowledge Akinradewo is there on a Volleyball scholarship, not hoops.

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 09/29/05 12:31 pm    ::: Re: Dual Sport Question Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
I was wondering about Candice and whether she was going to play on the volleball team as well this year. I did not see her in a match between the Cardinal and USC that was on TV, but forgot to follow up.

Is that what you meant, you didn't see her? I got confused by that statement, of course my comprehension isn't the greatest at times Wink OK, I think I got it now, I just reread it, I'm taking it, that she played last year, and you didn't see her this year, is that right? I'll keep wallowing around and maybe figure it out. Question Idea

Keegan

PostPosted: 09/29/05 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
I should note that to the best of my knowledge Akinradewo is there on a Volleyball scholarship, not hoops.

That is correct.

I have read some idle speculation by fans about her joining the basketball team. A 6'3" athletic post player would be welcomed (even better if she's physical).
gopher5

PostPosted: 09/29/05 12:41 pm    ::: Re: Dual Sport Question Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
gopher5 wrote:

Is that what you meant, you didn't see her? I got confused by that statement, of course my comprehension isn't the greatest at times Wink OK, I think I got it now, I just reread it, I'm taking it, that she played last year, and you didn't see her this year, is that right? I'll keep wallowing around and maybe figure it out. Question Idea

Sorry for any confusion I caused. Embarassed

She did not play last year (as far as I know), but I remember reading earlier this year that she was going to play (or thinking about playing) vb(as a walk on). Based on Keegan's earlier response, it sounds like she decided to (or Tara decided she would) just train with the team and not walk on.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 09/29/05 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of my best pals is on the Stanford team, I can try to get some info on this situation.

Foluke is unreal. She is literally an athlete that is far superior than any of the opponents she faces in the middle. Once her volleyball IQ meets her athleticism, she will be a super-stud. Her ability to rise up and get to a spot and terminate, merely by the power of her arm and snap of her wrist is unparalleled. The Stanford program has a sensational freshman class, and the aid of Ogonna in practice still. New freshman, Cynthia Barboza, has helped aid the replacement of one of the finest physical specimons outside of the Williams sisters in the world in terms of female athletes. And boy is her smile captivating.

DTS, don't bring up volleyball to me, I won't stop, I'm mentally incapable of stopping. I have so much more to say you don't even know!

Maida#44

PostPosted: 09/29/05 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but didn't Kristen Mann play both Softball and Basketball at UC Santa Barbara?

mysticsfan07

PostPosted: 10/02/05 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't Natalie Williams play volleyball and basketball? I think I remember hearing that she was the POY in volleyball.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/02/05 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mysticsfan07 wrote:
Didn't Natalie Williams play volleyball and basketball? I think I remember hearing that she was the POY in volleyball.

She was, I think, a two-time POY in volleyball and was a first-team AA in both.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 10/02/05 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yup, Nat did both. You can actually vote for her as one of the top 6 players of the last 25 years of NCAA Vball. Don't have a link, but I know you can get to it through the Ohio State website as they are promoting votes for Stacey Gordon.

PostPosted: 10/02/05 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't Nygaard play both volleyball and basketball?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: