RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New women's soccer league to launch with 8 teams
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 11/15/12 4:19 pm    ::: New women's soccer league to launch with 8 teams Reply Reply with quote

as has been rumored since the WPS folded, a new - yet to be named women's league - is expected to make an official announcement by Dec. 1. The new league will start with 8 teams, four(possibly 5) of which are former WPS teams. The 8 teams will be: Boston Breakers, Chicago Red Stars, NY/NJ Sky Blue FC and Western New York Flash as ex-WPS teams and Seattle, D.C., Portland and Kansas City joining the fray. The D.C. team is rumored to take on the old Washington Freedom name.

http://equalizersoccer.com/2012/11/15/eight-teams-set-for-new-womens-pro-league/

Four other potential owners trying to get teams in Southern California, the Philadelphia Independence(ex-WPS), Atlanta (not the Beat) & Raleigh are on the short list for 2014 expansion.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 11/20/12 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

an official announcement will be made tomorrow in regards to the new league.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/21/12 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the 8 teams to start play in the spring of 2013 are:

Boston Breakers
Chicago RedStars
NY/NJ Sky Blue
Western New York Flash
DC United Women
Portland Timbers(only team owned by their MLS counterparts)
FC Kansas City
Seattle

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/21/new-womens-league-and-the-power-of-three/

JACKOWACKO

PostPosted: 11/21/12 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So this league was started by US Soccer?

Anyway, a team in Seattle seems pretty cool. And glad to see the Breakers back.

PostPosted: 11/23/12 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least it's a 3-letter league name--too bad it has Women's in the title---it isn't needed and by having it in the name, will turn off a large swatch of viewers who will see Women in the title and turn away just because of it. I, of course will watch--if games are on TV--as I'm most on this board will.

The teams will have limited budgets--which means scant if any marketing/advertising for the league and its games. I would expect that if any games get on TV that is the only time you'll see WSL commercials. The only commercials during a WSL broadcast should be for the next televised game. Any commercial in the vein of "Hey come watch!" is just stupid--as you would be asking those already watching to watch--you have those people because they are watching--WNBA has the same issue.

Adverts should be where the eyes are---during other sporting events, during times when women are watching TV like daytime soaps and talk shows. Ads should be when a massive amount of people are watching like, reality shows, late nite talk shows. Of course this would mean the league would have to hire marketing people who know what they are doing--something that the WUSA and WPS never had.

I wish the league all the best and going into Seattle and back into DC are good things. Sky Blue market is a mistake and so is Kansas City. Not going into Atlanta to start is great--need to see the demand. I'd rather see a Bay Area team and San Diego.

toad455

PostPosted: 11/26/12 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New league has much to learn:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/commentary/8676535/new-women-soccer-league-much-learn

Scarab

PostPosted: 11/28/12 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.afterellen.com/content/2012/11/womens-pro-soccer-makes-comeback

PostPosted: 12/10/12 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From oursportscentral.com:

Quote:
New Women's Professional Soccer League: Three of the new teams-Seattle, Portland and Washington (DC)-in the yet-to-be-named new women's pro soccer league are expected to announce their team names next week. Seattle is said to be deciding among the Sirens, Reign or Seattle FC as its name, while Portland could have "Rose City" as part of its name.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/11/12 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Seattle team will be called the Seattle Sirens FC. The Washington DC team will be called the Washington Spirit. The Kansas City team previously announced that the team will be called FC Kansas City. Only Portland remains nameless.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 12/11/12 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The Seattle team will be called the Seattle Sirens FC. The Washington DC team will be called the Washington Spirit. The Kansas City team previously announced that the team will be called FC Kansas City. Only Portland remains nameless.

Interesting on Washington Spirit, since that was the name of the SD franchise in the WUSA.

Wonder if they will use the old logo (Which had an eagle If I remember)

The odd thing was the SD franchise was originally meant to be called the scream before someone clued them in that it may be dirty (But didn't stop us Charge fans from pluralizing spirit LOL) ...With Loudy Foudy on the team, I can see why they changed it from scream Laughing

PostPosted: 12/15/12 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it's what I feared--a four letter name with Women's as part of it. It's the National Women's Soccer League. Shitty name--four letter names have never done well and have always been relegated to minor status. Yes, the WNBA has been around for over 15 years, but it's still a very small league in the sports landscape.

There is no need to have Women's in the name--everyone knows it's a women's league--it isn't catchy or an advantage to have it. National Soccer League would have been SO much better.

I'll say it again--four letter leagues are never looked at as big time. I'd be willing to bet, if the NBA hadn't gotten involved and scared advertisers and the ABL would have been able to get their TV contract, the ABL would be further along than the WNBA at this point.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/15/12 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Portland team will be called the Thorns. I don't get it, but whichever--and the stupidly named Sky Blue FC is around. Horrid name and the team will constantly be referred to as New Jersey and listed in game lines as NJ and not Sky Blue or SB. Should just call the team the New Jersey Blues--silly.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/15/12 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thorns as in roses, Portland being the Rose City. I had actually toyed with using it for a fictional Portland basketball team.

I have NEVER understood Sky Blue FC. Ever. And if I have to have a soccer team, they're the one I end up with.

PostPosted: 12/16/12 4:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yea thorns as in roses, but thorns are the nasty side of roses. I could see it as a joke, but not the real deal. If you're going to be prickly, might as well be the briars, or the porcupines. Portland Porcupines has a nice sound to it. Wink

StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/16/12 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Yea thorns as in roses, but thorns are the nasty side of roses. I could see it as a joke, but not the real deal. If you're going to be prickly, might as well be the briars, or the porcupines. Portland Porcupines has a nice sound to it. Wink

Now I'm thinking of that rock song called "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", by some "big-hair band" (can't remember which) from the late-80's! Wink

StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/16/12 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
So it's what I feared--a four letter name with Women's as part of it. It's the National Women's Soccer League. Shitty name--four letter names have never done well and have always been relegated to minor status. Yes, the WNBA has been around for over 15 years, but it's still a very small league in the sports landscape.

There is no need to have Women's in the name--everyone knows it's a women's league--it isn't catchy or an advantage to have it. National Soccer League would have been SO much better.

I'll say it again--four letter leagues are never looked at as big time. I'd be willing to bet, if the NBA hadn't gotten involved and scared advertisers and the ABL would have been able to get their TV contract, the ABL would be further along than the WNBA at this point.

The Women's Basketball League (WBL) lasted from 1978 to part of 1981. "Big time"? Rolling Eyes

toad455

PostPosted: 12/16/12 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt it. The ABL was overpaying it's players. some were making $100,00 a season. attendance was lower than the WNBA, so even with a major TV deal, I doubt the league would have lasted much longer anyway.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/19/12 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:

The Women's Basketball League (WBL) lasted from 1978 to part of 1981. "Big time"? Rolling Eyes

And you miss--WBL was a three letter league, but they sunk by having Women's in the title. Nice knee-jerk though. Again--if the NBA wouldn't have stepped in with the WNBA, the ABL would be a better and more prosporous league than the WNBA.

dinkytown

PostPosted: 01/11/13 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NWSL allocations
http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/11/nwsl-allocation-alex-morgan-portland-thorns-hope-solo-seattle-reign/

Boston Breakers
Sydney Leroux (USA)
Heather Mitts (USA)
Heather O’Reilly (USA)
Adriana Leon (CAN)
Rhian Wilkinson (CAN)
Anisa Guajardo (MEX)
Cecilia Santiago (MEX)

Chicago Red Stars
Shannon Boxx (USA)
Amy LePeilbet (USA)
Keelin Winters (USA)
Erin McLeod (CAN)
Carmelina Moscato (CAN)
Maribel Dominguez (MEX)
Dinora Garza (MEX)

FC Kansas City
Nicole Barnhart (USA)
Lauren Cheney (USA)
Becky Sauerbrunn (USA)
Desiree Scott (CAN)
Lauren Sesselmann (CAN)
Renae Cuellar (MEX)
Marylin Diaz (MEX)

Portland Thorns FC
Rachel Buehler (USA)
Tobin Heath (USA)
Alex Morgan (USA)
Luz Saucedo (MEX)
Marlene Sandoval (MEX)
Karina LeBlanc (CAN)
Christine Sinclair (CAN)

Seattle Reign FC
Megan Rapinoe (USA)
Amy Rodriguez (USA)
Hope Solo (USA)
Kaylyn Kyle (CAN)
Emily Zurrer (CAN)
Jenny Ruiz (MEX)
Teresa Noyola (MEX)

Sky Blue FC
Jill Loyden (USA)
Kelley O’Hara (USA)
Christie Rampone (USA)
Sophie Schmidt (CAN)
Melanie Booth (CAN)
Monica Ocampo (MEX)
Lydia Rangel (MEX)

Washington Spirit
Ashlyn Harris (USA)
Ali Krieger (USA)
Lori Lindsey (USA)
Robin Gayle (CAN)
Diana Matheson (CAN)
Alina Garciamendez (MEX)
Teresa Worbis (MEX)

Western New York Flash
Carli Lloyd (USA)
Abby Wambach (USA)
Bryana McCarthy (CAN)
Jodi-Ann Robinson (CAN)
Veronica Perez (MEX)
Pamela Tajonar (MEX)

toad455

PostPosted: 01/14/13 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Portland & Seattle did best(as expected), otherwise seems pretty well even outside of Washington. only Mexician players I recognize are Dominiqiez & Ocampo. any reason why WNY only got 2 US players??

GEF34

PostPosted: 01/14/13 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Portland & Seattle did best(as expected), otherwise seems pretty well even outside of Washington. only Mexician players I recognize are Dominiqiez & Ocampo. any reason why WNY only got 2 US players??

Why did you expect Portland and Seattle to do the best?

Also every team has 3 US players except Western New York, perhaps they couldn't get a commit from one more player to make it 3 per team. Or maybe the US only allotted for 23 players in their budget.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/15/13 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Why did you expect Portland and Seattle to do the best?

Also every team has 3 US players except Western New York, perhaps they couldn't get a commit from one more player to make it 3 per team. Or maybe the US only allotted for 23 players in their budget.

It was expected that the top Canadian players were heading to eithier Portland or Seattle, and they did(LeBlanc & Sinclair to Portland; Kyle & Zurrer to Seattle). Plus Solo, Heath, Buehler & Rapinoe said they wanted to go to the Northwest/Pacific to be close to home.

and WNY lost it's third US player due to the late withdrawal of Klingenberg from the USS funded allocation pool. They didn't replace her. So WNY will receive an additional first round pick in Friday's college draft.

FollowtheCardinalRule

PostPosted: 05/24/13 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I happened to be surfing Youtube, and if anyone's interested, the full games are on there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR5R1Iudd0M

Portland vs. Washington on that link, follow the account to find other games.

toad455

PostPosted: 05/24/13 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NWSL Attendance(through May 19)

1. Portland - 13,336(3 games)
2. Kansas City - 5,070(3)
3. Washington - 4,178(4)
4. Western NY - 2,977(3)
5. Boston - 2,874(2)
6. Chicago - 1,813(3)
7. NY/NJ - 1,590(3)
8. Seattle - 1,559(3)
LEAGUE - 4,229

toad455

PostPosted: 07/01/13 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An update on the NWSL attendance. Let's just say Portland is dominating and completely blowing out the other 7 teams in terms of attendance. Kansas City & DC are doing well, while Western NY is drawing ok. The other 4 teams I'd be worried about. Really surprised Seattle isn't drawing well considering the MLS' Sounders draw nearly 40,000 a game. The Reign play at Starfire stadium(capacity 4,500).

1. Portland - 12,857
2. Kansas City - 4,378
3. Washington DC - 4,268
4. Western New York - 3,632
5. Boston - 2,242
6. Seattle - 1,949
7. SkyBlue NJ - 1,751
8. Chicago - 1,417
NWSL Average - 3,981(w/o Portland - 2,770)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: