RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

15 states file petitions to secede from the union
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luvDhoops

PostPosted: 11/11/12 7:36 pm    ::: 15 states file petitions to secede from the union Reply Reply with quote

http://now.msn.com/15-states-start-petitons-to-leave-the-usa

I say, if they gather the numbers we let them all go. Losing New York would be sad, but I doubt 25,000 people in NY would agree to this.

PostPosted: 11/11/12 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

let those people go.

PostPosted: 11/11/12 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excuse me, North Dakota? No, we're not seceding. Go stick one of those buffalo from your quarter up your ass.

(now with spelling variations)
beknighted

PostPosted: 11/11/12 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sounds like they're using the petition process the White House set up to allow people to propose issues for the President to consider. The petitions, of course, have no legal effect at all, as I can't imagine a state seceding from the Union (successfully) without Congress going along. And, now that I think of it, there isn't actually a process in the Constitution to allow states to leave. (So the U.S. is like the Hotel California or a roach motel that way.)

HistoryWomensBasketball

PostPosted: 11/11/12 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it is just the underlining statement that there is severe division in our country. I'm not sure if it will happen in my lifetime but if there is anything that will split this country...it won't be by state lines.

It will be by econmic class lines.

www.barnstormingamerica.net
mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/11/12 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LMAO. No, New York is staying. I'd be kind of sad to see Jersey go too.

The rest of them...kay bai.

PostPosted: 11/11/12 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
LMAO. No, New York is staying. I'd be kind of sad to see Jersey go too.

The rest of them...kay bai.

I'd prefer if Louisiana waited until after the Final Four, though. I can't find my passport.

(now with spelling variations)
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 11/11/12 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait, is this for real??? I found a typo in the article which puts the whole thing in doubt for me, but all those states can secede if they want. I'll perhaps miss Oregon, but the rest can go. I may need a passport to go to Liberty games next summer, but otherwise, I don't really care.

I personally think the entire red states should secede...but that's just me Wink

PostPosted: 11/11/12 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
These include Louisiana (which led the charge), the Republic of Texas, Kentucky, Colorado, New Jersey, Montana, North Dakota, Indiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Oregon

Hmmm, the Republic of Texas...not Texas the state. The Republic of Texas was it's own sovereignty.

Here we go again.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 11/11/12 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
Wait, is this for real??? I found a typo in the article which puts the whole thing in doubt for me, but all those states can secede if they want. I'll perhaps miss Oregon, but the rest can go. I may need a passport to go to Liberty games next summer, but otherwise, I don't really care.

I personally think the entire red states should secede...but that's just me Wink

Speaking as one of the many blue minded residents of states designated as red, I disagree most strenuously with the idea of succession. The blue country would be split in two.
scullyfu

PostPosted: 11/11/12 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can't wait to hear rick perry on this one. 'i was for it, before i was against it, and now i'm for it again.' Smile

what a bunch of clowns. perhaps they'll elect the donald at their leader.

PostPosted: 11/11/12 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First off, this article's title is worded poorly.

In the sentence "15 states start petitions to leave the USA" it sounds as if the "states" are the ones taking the action, rather than some people within the state. This is not an action being taken by any official representative of the state as a whole, but rather some dumbass sitting on his couch in a pit stained t-shirt drinking Budweiser from the can while watching old Dukes of Hazzard reruns.

Secondly, they can sign whatever petition they want. Legally, no state can unilaterally secede from the nation. This was covered in the 1869 Supreme Court ruling Texas v. White.

Last edited by justintyme on 11/11/12 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
sambista

PostPosted: 11/11/12 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
I'll perhaps miss Oregon, but the rest can go.

oregon is at once one of the most progressive and regressive states in the union. it can go. buh-bye.

PostPosted: 11/11/12 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sometimes I think everyone in my state is losing it.
beknighted

PostPosted: 11/11/12 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
In the sentence "15 states start petitions to leave the USA" it sounds as if the "states" are the ones taking the action, rather than some people within the state. This is not an action being taken by any official representative of the state as a whole, but rather some dumbass sitting on his couch in a pit stained t-shirt drinking Budweiser from the can while watching old Dukes of Hazzard reruns.

Seriously.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 11/11/12 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

oregon is at once one of the most progressive and regressive states in the union. it can go. buh-bye.

So are a lot of states. Rolling Eyes

Examine at the map. There's more a divide between city and country than there is between North and South. Look at Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Charleston, Atlanta and Miami Idea

beknighted

PostPosted: 11/12/12 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
sambista wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

Examine at the map. There's more a divide between city and country than there is between North and South. Look at Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Charleston, Atlanta and Miami Idea

It's all over the place - during the 2008 campaign one of McCain's advisors, when asked about Northern Virginia, said that wasn't the real Virginia, and most Northern Virginians just laughed because it's what people who live south of here say all the time.

And, by the way, it's worth keeping in mind that if you took all of those highly-populated places away from the rest of their states, the highly-populated places pretty much all could reduce their taxes and the rest of the states would have to cut back severely or raise taxes significantly.

luvDhoops

PostPosted: 11/12/12 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Seriously.

Well I would laugh if Texas didn't already have 6,000 people signed on. According to the language, the president has to "consider" when it reaches the 25,000. Not that I'm saying this will happen, I just think it gives more encouragement to douchebags to further disrespect our republic.

PostPosted: 11/12/12 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
sambista wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

So are a lot of states:

Not spent much time in Oregon. Have you? Sambista's spot on, except that, really, except for that Portlandia pocket with a tentacle into some parts of the Willamette Valley, it's John Birch territory, entirely.

PostPosted: 11/12/12 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

beknighted wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
sambista wrote:
KeiraNY wrote:

It's all over the place - during the 2008 campaign one of McCain's advisors, when asked about Northern Virginia, said that wasn't the real Virginia, and most Northern Virginians just laughed because it's what people who live south of here say all the time.

And, by the way, it's worth keeping in mind that if you took all of those highly-populated places away from the rest of their states, the highly-populated places pretty much all could reduce their taxes and the rest of the states would have to cut back severely or raise taxes significantly.

That's funny Razz

hyperetic

PostPosted: 11/12/12 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sooo...what happens to the people accused of being the 47% in those states. Will they be ignored? Will they be deported? If so, who will do the menial tasks and blue-collar work for the upper 53%?
justintyme

PostPosted: 11/12/12 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
Sooo...what happens to the people accused of being the 47% in those states. Will they be ignored? Will they be deported? If so, who will do the menial tasks and blue-collar work for the upper 53%?

The stupid part of it is that you know a large portion of those signatures come from people in the 47%.

Ideology causes people to make choices that are otherwise against their interests. Althusser used it to demonstrate why people are so willing to accept the exploiter/exploited relationship which is necessary for Capitalism to succeed. We are surrounded by Ideological institutions which blur our perceptions and creates our "reality".

PostPosted: 11/12/12 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So apparently this phenomenon is not unusual or a new thing:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/secission-petitions-filed-20-states-190210006.html
justintyme

PostPosted: 11/12/12 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Well I would laugh if Texas didn't already have 6,000 people signed on. According to the language, the president has to "consider" when it reaches the 25,000. Not that I'm saying this will happen, I just think it gives more encouragement to douchebags to further disrespect our republic.

Texas has something like 23,000 -- but that shouldn't be surprising since the issue comes up no matter who is president. Since Texas was once a nation itself (it was annexed by the US) some people there put on rose colored glasses and think it would be better for them.

The interesting thing is that no law says that the president "has to" consider the petition. The site the people are using was created by the Obama administration to facilitate better communication with the citizenry. 25,000 signatures was the threshold created by the administration which guaranteed a presidential response. This applies to any petition. If I could find 24,999 other people to sign a petition saying that Obama should come shoot hoops with me, it would be "considered" also. Again, not by law, but by administration policy.

PostPosted: 11/12/12 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
So apparently this phenomenon is not unusual or a new thing:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/secission-petitions-filed-20-states-190210006.html

This is just like all the people who said they would move to Canada if Bush won a second term. Shockingly, none of them actually did so.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: