RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mystics Coach/GM pool
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bullsky

PostPosted: 10/06/12 11:53 am    ::: Mystics Coach/GM pool Reply Reply with quote

So, who are the candidates?

Meadors, obviously.
Some have even mentioned Laimbeer should get a look.
Who else?

What's Maher's plan post-olympics? I'm serious.

PostPosted: 10/06/12 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How happy is Anne Donovan at Seton Hall? Nancy Lieberman? Cynthia Cooper?

Mystics might need a big name in the women's basketball world to really create buzz. And as always, competency should be a huge factor.

PostPosted: 10/06/12 12:18 pm    ::: Re: Mystics Coach/GM pool Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:

Serious? He already bombed out once as the Mystics' Head Coach. Isn't that enough?

zune69

PostPosted: 10/06/12 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brian Winters
Vickie Johnson

terpsforever

PostPosted: 10/06/12 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's so hard to find good coaches willing to coach in the WNBA. That's why the idiot crew should have held on to Plank and Taylor.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/06/12 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
It's so hard to find good coaches willing to coach in the WNBA. That's why the idiot crew should have held on to Plank and Taylor.

How come other teams aren't snatching 'em up?

I think people might be making too much of Taylor and Plank. Taylor was able to land Plank because of her association with Minnesota. Taylor was able to land Harding because of her association with Minnesota. Not huge skill involved with this. Then they were automatically able to land Katie Smith. They have pretty good chemistry on and off the court for some reason. Katie Smith became like the coach on the floor. I think it was just a flukey and lucky stretch for them. I'd like to see them reproduce these results for another team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 10/06/12 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/06/12 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who are the assistant coaches that are possibilities? Reeve, Ross, and Klop have all been successful in the transition recently, so that might be the new trendy place to look.

Steph White gets mentioned. I am not sure she is ready, but she could be considered.

It's likely only a matter of time before Jenny Boucek gets another chance.

terpsforever

PostPosted: 10/06/12 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

I don' t really care about other teams. Are are you saying they (Plank and Taylor) weren't winners and the Mystics would not have been better off keeping them?

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/06/12 1:11 pm    ::: Re: Mystics Coach/GM pool Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
bullsky wrote:

Serious? He already bombed out once as the Mystics' Head Coach. Isn't that enough?

I guess you don't believe in second chances. He has had great success with the Chinese and British women.

PostPosted: 10/06/12 1:15 pm    ::: Re: Mystics Coach/GM pool Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
bullsky wrote:

I guess you don't believe in second chances. He has had great success with the Chinese and British women.

Is this really your selling point? I've seen how well the British women did.

bullsky

PostPosted: 10/06/12 1:17 pm    ::: Re: Mystics Coach/GM pool Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
bullsky wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
bullsky wrote:

Is this really your selling point? I've seen how well the British women did.

You know nothing about international basketball if you don't think what he did was the British women was remarkable. Stay in your box.

PostPosted: 10/06/12 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are still in crapshoot mode, and the Mystics need to get out of that. Meadors is the answer.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/06/12 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

I think people might be making too much of Taylor and Plank. Taylor was able to land Plank because of her association with Minnesota. Taylor was able to land Harding because of her association with Minnesota. Not huge skill involved with this. Then they were automatically able to land Katie Smith. They have pretty good chemistry on and off the court for some reason. Katie Smith became like the coach on the floor. I think it was just a flukey and lucky stretch for them. I'd like to see them reproduce these results for another team.

And the Sheila apologist does not miss a beat. Getting Sheila completely out of the WNBA needs to happen yesterday for there to be any hope of reviving this franchise. Who wants to work for someone who will fire your ass right after you set a franchise record for wins? At least if you lose (and set a franchise record for losses over two years), you get to stay two years.

~rAf
terpsforever

PostPosted: 10/06/12 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

What--not a lot of skill to get great basketball players to want to play for you? I'm guessing great basketball players like to play for GMs/coaches they think can coach and give them a chance to win. Not alot of skill equals Trudy's coaching skills and Sheila's selection skills.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/06/12 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Van Chancellor wants to get back into the league. He is younger than Marynell Meadors.

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
ClayK

PostPosted: 10/06/12 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Presumably every applicant for the job knows the story we don't: What really went down with Taylor and Plank, and where that stands right now.

If I'm clear on why that happened, and have reason to believe it's not applicable to me in 2013 and beyond, I wouldn't let that keep me from taking the position.

And it is interesting that neither has been hired since -- though if a franchise ends up in the Bay Area, Taylor would seem like a natural choice.

PostPosted: 10/06/12 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Shades wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

And the Sheila apologist does not miss a beat. Getting Sheila completely out of the WNBA needs to happen yesterday for there to be any hope of reviving this franchise. Who wants to work for someone who will fire your ass right after you set a franchise record for wins? At least if you lose (and set a franchise record for losses over two years), you get to stay two years.

Leave it to you not to address any of the good points I made about the merits of Plank and Taylor but to make it into something else. They have new nicknames now, Lucky & Fluky.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/06/12 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

terpsforever wrote:
Shades wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

What--not a lot of skill to get great basketball players to want to play for you? I'm guessing great basketball players like to play for GMs/coaches they think can coach and give them a chance to win. Not alot of skill equals Trudy's coaching skills and Sheila's selection skills.

Did some random person hire Taylor in the first place? She must of known what she was doing, right? Or was it a crapshoot?

Shades

PostPosted: 10/06/12 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Van Chancellor wants to get back into the league. He is younger than Marynell Meadors.

Why is that an issue for you? Women live longer.

You seem to be the only person pushing for Van Chancellor. Maybe we should put this to a vote.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/06/12 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that he's a realistic candidate, but to answer the original question Maher said he'd be interested in continuing as GB coach, but GB basketball may not be interested in paying him what it would take to keep him (no decision has been made on our men's or women's coach yet). He's also still the head coach at Bulleen, as far as I know.

As mentioned above, I'd think some assistants will get a look, although none of them would provide any kind of excitement boost for the fanbase. Teams usually look to assistants from successful franchises, so it'd be someone like White (or DeMoss, I guess, who has the Tennessee pedigree to sell her), Boucek, Patterson or Petersen from the Lynx if they were interested, same story with Hawk or Mattox from the Sun, and there are still people like Mahorn out there from former teams who might like to get back in. It's a pretty long list of possibilities if you're not worried about name recognition. Not like any of us would really have known the name Gary Kloppenburg before Tulsa hired him.

PostPosted: 10/06/12 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
terpsforever wrote:
Shades wrote:
terpsforever wrote:

Did some random person hire Taylor in the first place? She must of known what she was doing, right? Or was it a crapshoot?

You really are funny Shades.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/06/12 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still suspect that there's some sort of legal issue regarding the departure of Plank and Taylor that prevents them from being in the W; otherwise, Sheila Johnson wouldn't have said there were "human resource issues" when asked about them.

I think the Mystics are going to want to make a splash and try to lure someone from the college world. Either that, or they'll turn to a former Wizard/Bullet. (Because it worked oh so well before, but I don't think The Sheila was involved during the tenures of Walker and Adams.)

PostPosted: 10/06/12 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

What makes Van so desirable. You think he'd have won 4 in a row with players other than Tina, Swoopes, Cooper in their prime? No. He won championships because he had the players to do so. IMO he's no better a coach than most coaches who have come and gone throughout the years in the wnba.

PostPosted: 10/06/12 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Martini Man wrote:
pilight wrote:

What makes Van so desirable. You think he'd have won 4 in a row with players other than Tina, Swoopes, Cooper in their prime? No. He won championships because he had the players to do so. IMO he's no better a coach than most coaches who have come and gone throughout the years in the wnba.

I have a feeling that pilight fears Meadors in WAS.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/06/12 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Martini Man wrote:
pilight wrote:

Which is different than most any other championship-winning coach how?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: