RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

International Competition In Women's Soccer vs. Basketball

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkyBrett

PostPosted: 09/24/12 2:44 pm    ::: International Competition In Women's Soccer vs. Basketball Reply Reply with quote

I've been a fan of women's sports for a long time. But I am more interested in women's soccer than women's basketball for a simple reason: one country does not dominate women's soccer the way one country dominates women's basketball.

The 2012 Olympic women's soccer tournament was great theater because four or five countries had a legitimate shot to win it. And Germany didn't even qualify for the tournament. If they had qualified they would have contended for the gold medal too.

On the other hand, USA Women's basketball is a victim of its own success. Their dominance in the sport has depressed the value of international competition. It's not the USA's fault that other countries haven't caught up. It's just an unfortunate situation. What do you think?

Dave

P.S. Here is my women's soccer video site:
http://www.davebrett.com/Women.htm

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 11/29/12 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if one country is always winning shouldn't basketball be eliminated from the Olympics like softball was because one country was always winning in that sport? Wink

SkyBrett

PostPosted: 11/30/12 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, I wouldn't say that women's basketball should be eliminated from the Olympics. But I would say that the USA should send a team of college all stars instead of professionals. That would improve the competition and give other countries a shot of winning gold. What do you think of that idea?

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/03/12 2:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't like it--as the USA would be the only country sending amateurs. The rest of the world sends it's pros--so should the USA

SkyBrett

PostPosted: 07/09/13 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Softball was eliminated from the Olympics because one country (the USA) always won it. But I never liked softball anyway. It always seemed like a bastardized version of baseball. Women don't play a different version of soccer or a different version of basketball. They shouldn't play a different version of baseball either. They should just play the same thing that men play.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/09/13 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SkyBrett wrote:
Softball was eliminated from the Olympics because one country (the USA) always won it.

Except that they didn't. The US won three times and the Japanese won once.

PostPosted: 07/09/13 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I stand corrected. Japan did win once. Has the USA ever lost in Olympic women's basketball? Not that I can remember.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/09/13 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SkyBrett wrote:
pilight wrote:

I stand corrected. Japan did win once. Has the USA ever lost in Olympic women's basketball? Not that I can remember.

The USSR won gold in 1976 and 1980. The Unified Team won in 1992.

There are other team events where a single country has been more dominant than the US women's softball team, at least initially.

South Korea has won all seven women's team archery Gold Medals.

The USA won 12 of the first 14 men's 4x100 relays and four of the first five 4x400 relays

China has won five of the six women's doubles badminton Gold Medals

The USA won eight of the first nine men's basketball Gold Medals (and should have won all nine)

The USSR won the first six Biathlon 4x7.5km relay Gold Medals, and might have won more if not for the country breaking up.

The USA has won four of the five women's soccer Gold Medals

India won six of the first eight men's field hockey Gold Medals

Canada won six of the first seven men's ice hockey Gold Medals and three of the first four women's ice hockey Golds

Russia has won four of the five rhythmic gymnastics Gold Medals

The USA won the first five men's double skulls rowing Gold Medals. Germany won the first five women's quadruple skulls rowing Gold Medals.

South Korea won four of the first five women's 3000m relay speed skating Gold Medals

There are plenty more.

PostPosted: 07/10/13 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Although in 2006 when the decision was made to drop softball from the
Olympics the USA had a winning streak that had gone on forever.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/10/13 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SkyBrett wrote:
pilight wrote:

Although in 2006 when the decision was made to drop softball from the
Olympics the USA had a winning streak that had gone on forever.

They'd won three. Like I said, there are plenty of other sports where one team has been more dominant when it was first introduced.

PostPosted: 07/12/13 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Softball was not eliminated from the Olympics because one team one too much. It was eliminated because it was lumped in with baseball and baseball was eliminated because of the steroid problem they are still having and because of MLB's refusal to send its best athletes because they didn't want to lose out on a few weeks of pay during their season and MLB won't take an Olympic break like basketball and soccer does in their seasons.

ALso, softball is not a different version of baseball. It was its own sport actually invented for men to play indoors when they could not play baseball outside. We still have professional men's fastpitch softball teams all over the country. Yes the two sports are similar but there are also a lot of differences in rules and strategy. There are also women's professional baseball teams and leagues around the country. The IOC admitted after voting on the elimination of softball that they had never seen a softball game before and assumed it was just women's baseball. They later recanted after attending one of the final Olympic games that softball is a different sport and should be considered separate of baseball and that a mistake was made lumping the two of them together as one vote.

PostPosted: 07/12/13 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbcatcher45 wrote:
Softball was not eliminated from the Olympics because one team one too much. It was eliminated because it was lumped in with baseball and baseball was eliminated because of the steroid problem they are still having and because of MLB's refusal to send its best athletes because they didn't want to lose out on a few weeks of pay during their season and MLB won't take an Olympic break like basketball and soccer does in their seasons.

Basketball doesn't have to take a break for the Olympics. The Olympics accommodated them by holding it in the Summer Games even though basketball is and always has been a Winter sport.

PostPosted: 07/12/13 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sbcatcher45 wrote:

Basketball doesn't have to take a break for the Olympics. The Olympics accommodated them by holding it in the Summer Games even though basketball is and always has been a Winter sport.

We are not talking about the NBA we are talking about the WNBA. The WNBA takes a break during their season in Olympic years so their players can go play in the olympics.

PostPosted: 07/12/13 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbcatcher45 wrote:
pilight wrote:
sbcatcher45 wrote:

We are not talking about the NBA we are talking about the WNBA. The WNBA takes a break during their season in Olympic years so their players can go play in the olympics.

The WNBA didn't exist when basketball was started at the Olympics. Everyone else plays in the winter, as was intended.

PostPosted: 07/12/13 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
sbcatcher45 wrote:
pilight wrote:
sbcatcher45 wrote:

The WNBA didn't exist when basketball was started at the Olympics. Everyone else plays in the winter, as was intended.

And this is all relevant to the convo why? The point was, softball was removed from the Olympics because of baseballs refusal to take the Olympics seriously and that was what eliminated both them and softball, not because one team dominates.

PostPosted: 07/12/13 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbcatcher45 wrote:
softball was removed from the Olympics because of baseballs refusal to take the Olympics seriously

Major League Baseball would not suspend its season to accommodate the Olympics. And as a result the best baseball players could not participate in the Olympics. But that had no bearing on how the IOC viewed softball. The best softball players were in the Olympics. It didn't matter. Softball wasn't popular enough.

The dominance of one team (the USA) in softball sure didn't help. If there had been five or six countries that were equally good at softball I bet the sport would have stayed in the Olympics.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/12/13 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbcatcher45 wrote:
pilight wrote:
sbcatcher45 wrote:
pilight wrote:
sbcatcher45 wrote:

And this is all relevant to the convo why? The point was, softball was removed from the Olympics because of baseballs refusal to take the Olympics seriously and that was what eliminated both them and softball, not because one team dominates.

The point being that they were willing to make an accommodation for basketball even though it was completely dominated by one country for decades. They were not willing to do the same for baseball/softball.

PostPosted: 07/12/13 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The point being that they were willing to make an accommodation for basketball even though it was completely dominated by one country for decades. They were not willing to do the same for baseball/softball.

That's true. Basketball is more popular around the world than either baseball or softball. And of course, none of those sports are as popular as soccer, which happens to be my favorite sport. Smile

pilight

PostPosted: 07/12/13 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SkyBrett wrote:
pilight wrote:

That's true. Basketball is more popular around the world than either baseball or softball. And of course, none of those sports are as popular as soccer, which happens to be my favorite sport. Smile

Basketball is more popular now. It's doubtful whether that was true in 1936 when it was first admitted as an Olympic sport.

PostPosted: 07/12/13 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SkyBrett wrote:
sbcatcher45 wrote:
softball was removed from the Olympics because of baseballs refusal to take the Olympics seriously

Major League Baseball would not suspend its season to accommodate the Olympics. And as a result the best baseball players could not participate in the Olympics. But that had no bearing on how the IOC viewed softball. The best softball players were in the Olympics. It didn't matter. Softball wasn't popular enough.

The dominance of one team (the USA) in softball sure didn't help. If there had been five or six countries that were equally good at softball I bet the sport would have stayed in the Olympics.

How the IOC viewed baseball has everything to do with why softball was eliminated. IOC even admitted to knowing nothing about the sport. Baseball and softball were a package deal, they were voted on as one entity, and the IOC wanted baseball gone. And the best athletes could have gone if they wanted to they just chose not to.

PostPosted: 07/12/13 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First of all, basketball is not a winter sport (at least by the IOC's definition of a sport contested on snow or ice) and will never be a part of the winter games.

Softball sadly did pay the price for looking too similar to baseball. How ironic is that both sports are now part of the same international federation as they attempt to regain a spot on the Olympic program. I do not feel this maneuver will be successful as the uproar caused by the dropping of wrestling will likely lead to its reinstatement.

As to the original point of this thread. Women's soccer is head and shoulders above basketball when it comes to competitiveness at the international level. Simply because height is not the factor in soccer than it is in basketball. The teams with the bigs will always have an advantage in hoops while in soccer, a country like Japan wins the World Cup with players who are certainly not physically imposing.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/12/13 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

btharner wrote:
First of all, basketball is not a winter sport (at least by the IOC's definition of a sport contested on snow or ice) and will never be a part of the winter games.

They didn't define it that way until 2007 and there's nothing preventing them from changing the definition if they see fit.

PostPosted: 07/13/13 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
btharner wrote:

They didn't define it that way until 2007 and there's nothing preventing them from changing the definition if they see fit.

Actually I find references to that in the Olympic Charter dating back to the 1980s. They could change it at anytime, but I do not think they will mess with their black and white definition of what constitutes a winter sport.

Richard 77

PostPosted: 07/13/13 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The way I see this, the reason one international soccer team hasn't been dominate over other team is because more countries want to win an international soccer championship than any other sport. To them, a soccer championship means bragging rrights. Many countries could possibly not care less to get those same rights for basketball. As for the U.S., they Russia and China are interchangeable. They just want to win everything.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: