RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Death of the Anna Kournikova era?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/13/12 8:56 pm    ::: The Death of the Anna Kournikova era? Reply Reply with quote

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8372737/from-serena-williams-missy-franklin-gabby-douglas-summer-2012-defined-female-athletes

Quote:
Kournikova has long since exited the public eye, but those years during which all female athletes had to somehow answer to Anna's hotness had a lasting effect on how the country discussed female athletes. It created the following paradox: If all talk about women's sports — however obliquely or subliminally — is about Anna Kournikova and all talk about Anna Kournikova is not ever about women's sports, how do you talk about women's sports?

Somehow, in this summer of Missy Franklin, Serena Williams, and Gabby Douglas, we seem to have stumbled out of this Babel. Anna Kournikova's long braid of associations has loosened its death grip. Before we ride off into a future of equal sponsorship deals and nationally broadcast WNBA All-Star games, it should be asked: Was this summer a series of great coincidences, or have we really changed the way we celebrate female athletes?

PostPosted: 09/13/12 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the answer, is somewhere in between. Yes we're behind the silliness that led to this is who I aint and other (hot) female first athlete second era. But note that their article goes into franklin and douglas, two women (actually truly girls) who are in what I call the "Traditional" women's sports. Not saying this doesn't "count" but there is still work to be done. The interesting breakwater is Diggins to me. Is she going to be all about looks or is she going to be as much how she plays...that will be what I'm looking at given how much a celeb she already is in college.

PostPosted: 09/13/12 11:40 pm    ::: Re: The Death of the Anna Kournikova era? Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8372737/from-serena-williams-missy-franklin-gabby-douglas-summer-2012-defined-female-athletes

Quote:
Kournikova has long since exited the public eye, but those years during which all female athletes had to somehow answer to Anna's hotness had a lasting effect on how the country discussed female athletes. It created the following paradox: If all talk about women's sports — however obliquely or subliminally — is about Anna Kournikova and all talk about Anna Kournikova is not ever about women's sports, how do you talk about women's sports?

Somehow, in this summer of Missy Franklin, Serena Williams, and Gabby Douglas, we seem to have stumbled out of this Babel. Anna Kournikova's long braid of associations has loosened its death grip. Before we ride off into a future of equal sponsorship deals and nationally broadcast WNBA All-Star games, it should be asked: Was this summer a series of great coincidences, or have we really changed the way we celebrate female athletes?

Kournikova is basically the Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer of rap. You can make fun of her, but really shouldn't because she was a pioneer in the popularization of the sport.

As for the way we celebrate female athletes is changing, I think it's changing from good looking, to good and good looking. Being one or the other isn't enough. The fact that Gabby Douglas was criticized on her hair and Lolo Jones was criticized for not winning is evidence of that. Idea

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/14/12 5:14 pm    ::: Re: The Death of the Anna Kournikova era? Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Kournikova is basically the Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer of rap. You can make fun of her, but really shouldn't because she was a pioneer in the popularization of the sport.

As for the way we celebrate female athletes is changing, I think it's changing from good looking, to good and good looking. Being one or the other isn't enough. The fact that Gabby Douglas was criticized on her hair and Lolo Jones was criticized for not winning is evidence of that. Idea

I'm sorry. What sport did Kournikova pioneer into popularity?

[url]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61WulefXnZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
[/url]

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 09/14/12 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Women's Tennis Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Other Women's Sports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: