RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

The Diana Taurasi "Excuse of the Game" Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 17746



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/12 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Dee will be encouraged to pick up technical fouls (with the promise to pay her fines for her) quickly if/when she returns.

Because really, she could get herself ejected by halftime any time she wants. Laughing Laughing (or the first quarter, really..)

re wisdom teeth: depends on the person..I know people who were completely out for a week..and there was a Uconn basketball player who played a day after getting his Wisdom teeth removed.



_________________
TALENT

What it takes to play a gay pirate, a gay candymaker, and a gay mad hatter, and still land a role as John Dilinger.
Happycappie25



Joined: 07 Feb 2006
Posts: 3875
Location: QUEENS!!!!


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/12 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We have some posters and the like...so I say yeah we'll come up with a grab bag but I'll let Queenie determine what.

But by the end of the Season and the draft lottery I just hope Myers, DT, and all other Merc Brass has a reason to recite this at the lame excuses...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lJhEzMaH4



_________________
"Leave it to the NCAA women's basketball committee to turn a glass slipper into glass ceiling" Graham Hays
Realcomplicated



Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Posts: 4278
Location: Houston, Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/12 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Realcomplicated wrote:
Martini Man wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Beat me to it. (I was holding off because too many Mercury fans seem to have left their senses of humor at home when it comes to this. And I was even looking for prizes to give away...)


You can still give prizes! I was hoping folks would have some fun with it but the same debate seems to have moved over here.

I think she's heartbroken over K. Stewart cheating on Robert Pattinson.


Kristen Stewart. Worlds most talentless actress.


She's the highest paid hollywood actress to date so, someone thinks she has talent! Wink


I think she's pretty damn good. There are a few off beat movies she did on Netflix and she just has a knack for pouring her heart into a role. So maybe she's a bit one dimensional in that she tends to play the same saucy, dark, vulnerable waif like girl, but she has that act down pat, and she can do the transformation thing too.

She has a substantial body of work. About 28 movies in 13 years. I've seen some of it, and I've seen Twilight. I don't know about the books, are there books? But the screen play of Twilight, which is the only one I saw, and IMO the screen play borrows from Roswell and Buffy the Vampire slayer. Good girl, good vampire, good girl good alien. And I think the role she plays is sort of packaged, so I don't think it's a real awe inspiring thing for her to begin with, albeit it made her rich.

I've seen:
Speak, Welcome To The Rileys, The Yellow Handkerchief, and Adventure Land and The Cake Eaters, these are all above average films IMO and her acting is very solid and credible in all of these roles.

This is typical career path, she was a very good actress, which is how she get's the Twilight role, and the first big payout, and then she gets caught in packaged hyped films with IMO a very average screen play. So she was damn good when she started and the payoff jobs are very average in my opinion.


You know what vann, I like her as a young girl in Panic Room with Jody Foster Smile


vanyogan



Joined: 09 Aug 2005
Posts: 9673



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/12 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Realcomplicated wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
Realcomplicated wrote:
Martini Man wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Beat me to it. (I was holding off because too many Mercury fans seem to have left their senses of humor at home when it comes to this. And I was even looking for prizes to give away...)


You can still give prizes! I was hoping folks would have some fun with it but the same debate seems to have moved over here.

I think she's heartbroken over K. Stewart cheating on Robert Pattinson.


Kristen Stewart. Worlds most talentless actress.


She's the highest paid hollywood actress to date so, someone thinks she has talent! Wink


I think she's pretty damn good. There are a few off beat movies she did on Netflix and she just has a knack for pouring her heart into a role. So maybe she's a bit one dimensional in that she tends to play the same saucy, dark, vulnerable waif like girl, but she has that act down pat, and she can do the transformation thing too.

She has a substantial body of work. About 28 movies in 13 years. I've seen some of it, and I've seen Twilight. I don't know about the books, are there books? But the screen play of Twilight, which is the only one I saw, and IMO the screen play borrows from Roswell and Buffy the Vampire slayer. Good girl, good vampire, good girl good alien. And I think the role she plays is sort of packaged, so I don't think it's a real awe inspiring thing for her to begin with, albeit it made her rich.

I've seen:
Speak, Welcome To The Rileys, The Yellow Handkerchief, and Adventure Land and The Cake Eaters, these are all above average films IMO and her acting is very solid and credible in all of these roles.

This is typical career path, she was a very good actress, which is how she get's the Twilight role, and the first big payout, and then she gets caught in packaged hyped films with IMO a very average screen play. So she was damn good when she started and the payoff jobs are very average in my opinion.


You know what vann, I like her as a young girl in Panic Room with Jody Foster Smile


I keep reminding myself to watch that. Don't remember ever seeing it.



_________________
http://www.rightnation.us
caune



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17918
Location: Valley of the Bun


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/12 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
I dunno it looked like LJ came back a little too soon or played to much to soon because she looked a little out of sorts. Wink

So I'm going with the fact that when you have your wisdom teeth out and even 1 is impacted it sucks. So she probably wasn't ready to come back.


I had four wisdom teeth removed at once. Two were impacted. I was back at work 3 days later.


I will assume your job is just like Dianas where you have to run up and back over and over while shooting, right? Rolling Eyes


Nope. But if I could return to chasing little kids around all day in 3 days after having a rather invasive wisdom tooth removal process, princess Diana should be able to return to a gig, even in a reduced capacity after a week. That's IF a wisdom tooth thing is even what happened. Again we're all speculating here because they won't tell us anything at all.

Apologies, though, that's not what you were looking for.


did you expect a personal phone call? It was in the newspaper what more can they do?



_________________
Because there is only one Diana Taurasi.
@Phoenix Mercury


Last edited by caune on 08/24/12 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7325



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/12 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
We have some posters and the like...so I say yeah we'll come up with a grab bag but I'll let Queenie determine what.

But by the end of the Season and the draft lottery I just hope Myers, DT, and all other Merc Brass has a reason to recite this at the lame excuses...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lJhEzMaH4


What about if she plays? Because I expect her to be on the court tomorrow night.


Realcomplicated



Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Posts: 4278
Location: Houston, Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/12 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

vanyogan wrote:
Realcomplicated wrote:
vanyogan wrote:
Realcomplicated wrote:
Martini Man wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Beat me to it. (I was holding off because too many Mercury fans seem to have left their senses of humor at home when it comes to this. And I was even looking for prizes to give away...)


You can still give prizes! I was hoping folks would have some fun with it but the same debate seems to have moved over here.

I think she's heartbroken over K. Stewart cheating on Robert Pattinson.


Kristen Stewart. Worlds most talentless actress.


She's the highest paid hollywood actress to date so, someone thinks she has talent! Wink


I think she's pretty damn good. There are a few off beat movies she did on Netflix and she just has a knack for pouring her heart into a role. So maybe she's a bit one dimensional in that she tends to play the same saucy, dark, vulnerable waif like girl, but she has that act down pat, and she can do the transformation thing too.

She has a substantial body of work. About 28 movies in 13 years. I've seen some of it, and I've seen Twilight. I don't know about the books, are there books? But the screen play of Twilight, which is the only one I saw, and IMO the screen play borrows from Roswell and Buffy the Vampire slayer. Good girl, good vampire, good girl good alien. And I think the role she plays is sort of packaged, so I don't think it's a real awe inspiring thing for her to begin with, albeit it made her rich.

I've seen:
Speak, Welcome To The Rileys, The Yellow Handkerchief, and Adventure Land and The Cake Eaters, these are all above average films IMO and her acting is very solid and credible in all of these roles.

This is typical career path, she was a very good actress, which is how she get's the Twilight role, and the first big payout, and then she gets caught in packaged hyped films with IMO a very average screen play. So she was damn good when she started and the payoff jobs are very average in my opinion.


You know what vann, I like her as a young girl in Panic Room with Jody Foster Smile


I keep reminding myself to watch that. Don't remember ever seeing it.


Great movie and a must see for you Very Happy


scullyfu



Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 8447
Location: Niagara Falls


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/12 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Realcomplicated wrote:
Martini Man wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Beat me to it. (I was holding off because too many Mercury fans seem to have left their senses of humor at home when it comes to this. And I was even looking for prizes to give away...)


You can still give prizes! I was hoping folks would have some fun with it but the same debate seems to have moved over here.

I think she's heartbroken over K. Stewart cheating on Robert Pattinson.


Kristen Stewart. Worlds most talentless actress.


She's the highest paid hollywood actress to date so, someone thinks she has talent! Wink


bringing in mega bucks at the box office doesn't necessarily translate to talent. Wink



_________________
i'll always bleed Storm green.
Realcomplicated



Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Posts: 4278
Location: Houston, Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/12 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
Realcomplicated wrote:
Martini Man wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Beat me to it. (I was holding off because too many Mercury fans seem to have left their senses of humor at home when it comes to this. And I was even looking for prizes to give away...)


You can still give prizes! I was hoping folks would have some fun with it but the same debate seems to have moved over here.

I think she's heartbroken over K. Stewart cheating on Robert Pattinson.


Kristen Stewart. Worlds most talentless actress.


She's the highest paid hollywood actress to date so, someone thinks she has talent! Wink


bringing in mega bucks at the box office doesn't necessarily translate to talent. Wink


I didn't say it did and I'm talking about what she's being paid for being such a sucky actress (as claimed)...They're the damn fools then!


Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2006
Location: Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/24/12 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
We have some posters and the like...so I say yeah we'll come up with a grab bag but I'll let Queenie determine what.

But by the end of the Season and the draft lottery I just hope Myers, DT, and all other Merc Brass has a reason to recite this at the lame excuses...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lJhEzMaH4


What about if she plays? Because I expect her to be on the court tomorrow night.


We may not agree on much, but we agree on this Wink!
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 17746



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
We have some posters and the like...so I say yeah we'll come up with a grab bag but I'll let Queenie determine what.

But by the end of the Season and the draft lottery I just hope Myers, DT, and all other Merc Brass has a reason to recite this at the lame excuses...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lJhEzMaH4


What about if she plays? Because I expect her to be on the court tomorrow night.


We may not agree on much, but we agree on this Wink!


I dunno, the Merc are playing the Fever..Catch is on the other team.

I think there's a perfectly legitimate "DNP -Preventing Injury" excuse here.



_________________
TALENT

What it takes to play a gay pirate, a gay candymaker, and a gay mad hatter, and still land a role as John Dilinger.
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7325



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
We have some posters and the like...so I say yeah we'll come up with a grab bag but I'll let Queenie determine what.

But by the end of the Season and the draft lottery I just hope Myers, DT, and all other Merc Brass has a reason to recite this at the lame excuses...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lJhEzMaH4


What about if she plays? Because I expect her to be on the court tomorrow night.


We may not agree on much, but we agree on this Wink!


I dunno, the Merc are playing the Fever..Catch is on the other team.

I think there's a perfectly legitimate "DNP -Preventing Injury" excuse here.


Pulling a Parker? Hmmm...

But honestly, if they had her practice and had articles talking about her return they really can only pull the "last minute scratch" thing once. You've gotten the fans all hyped up for her return and it's a Saturday night game. Not playing her again would be just cruel and I don't think they'll do that.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44145



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
You've gotten the fans all hyped up for her return and it's a Saturday night game. Not playing her again would be just cruel and I don't think they'll do that.


They might try to steal Griner from Tulsa, but they wouldn't dare be cruel.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7325



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
You've gotten the fans all hyped up for her return and it's a Saturday night game. Not playing her again would be just cruel and I don't think they'll do that.


They might try to steal Griner from Tulsa, but they wouldn't dare be cruel.


They'd never be cruel to their fans: the Best Fans in the WNBA!

Seriously, as the past few years have shown having the biggest odds does not always translate into the #1 pick.


FS02



Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 9700
Location: Husky (west coast) Country


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is so funny... average people have to show up for work when they're really sick. If you've ever had a real job, you know this.



_________________
@dtmears2
J-Spoon



Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 4004



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DNP- Hurt Feelings

C'mon everyone stop being so mean.


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7325



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
This is so funny... average people have to show up for work when they're really sick. If you've ever had a real job, you know this.


At this point I'd be more inclined to believe that any tanking would be controlled by the organization rather than a player.


caune



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17918
Location: Valley of the Bun


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FS02 wrote:
This is so funny... average people have to show up for work when they're really sick. If you've ever had a real job, you know this.


Um, since when is being an athlete a real job?
People who get paid to perform on court, or on stage for that matter, have talent up the wazoo and they get paid and treated way above the average person because of their talent. Just the way it works, so again making comparisons to us average folks just does not fly.

And just an FYI, when you get really sick there are these things called sick days, or Personal time, in a lot of companies. Your co workers would appreciate you use them so as not to spread your sickness Laughing



_________________
Because there is only one Diana Taurasi.
@Phoenix Mercury
luvDhoops



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 8229



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael Jordan put on a performance of a lifetime while fighting the flu and having to be helped to the bench at times.

That being said, the only legitimate excuse now is the walking Ebola.



_________________
"He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon. " — Daenarys Targaryen, "Game of Thrones"
ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8334



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The tanking aspect is pretty much out of the picture ...

If Seattle only wins three games (they have two against Tulsa and one against Chicago) the rest of the way, and loses twice to Phoenix, the Storm will finish 13-21.

To match that, Phoenix must go 9-3, and they have six games left against Indiana, Connecticut, Minnesota, San Antonio and L.A. Even with Taurasi, that's asking a lot -- with Taurasi, Dupree and Taylor, it still wouldn't be a done deal.

So at this point, it's really just about not jerking the fans around. If she's not going to play this season, they really should have said so before the summer; if she's not going to play the rest of the way, announce it now.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54726
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The tanking aspect is pretty much out of the picture ...

If Seattle only wins three games (they have two against Tulsa and one against Chicago) the rest of the way, and loses twice to Phoenix, the Storm will finish 13-21.

To match that, Phoenix must go 9-3, and they have six games left against Indiana, Connecticut, Minnesota, San Antonio and L.A. Even with Taurasi, that's asking a lot -- with Taurasi, Dupree and Taylor, it still wouldn't be a done deal.

So at this point, it's really just about not jerking the fans around. If she's not going to play this season, they really should have said so before the summer; if she's not going to play the rest of the way, announce it now.


It's not just about missing the playoffs, they want to maximize the number of lottery balls they get. It is still a tight race to the bottom.



_________________
No one knows what goes on behind closed doors
Realcomplicated



Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Posts: 4278
Location: Houston, Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
FS02 wrote:
This is so funny... average people have to show up for work when they're really sick. If you've ever had a real job, you know this.


Um, since when is being an athlete a real job?
People who get paid to perform on court, or on stage for that matter, have talent up the wazoo and they get paid and treated way above the average person because of their talent. Just the way it works, so again making comparisons to us average folks just does not fly.

And just an FYI, when you get really sick there are these things called sick days, or Personal time, in a lot of companies. Your co workers would appreciate you use them so as not to spread your sickness Laughing


Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamen!


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44145



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
FS02 wrote:
This is so funny... average people have to show up for work when they're really sick. If you've ever had a real job, you know this.


Um, since when is being an athlete a real job?
People who get paid to perform on court, or on stage for that matter, have talent up the wazoo and they get paid and treated way above the average person because of their talent. Just the way it works, so again making comparisons to us average folks just does not fly.

And just an FYI, when you get really sick there are these things called sick days, or Personal time, in a lot of companies. Your co workers would appreciate you use them so as not to spread your sickness Laughing


Taurasi must have had like a whole season of personal time built up Wink



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mb1



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 4651
Location: Scottsdale,AZ,USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Taurasi must have had like a whole season of personal time built up Wink


Let me see...most (some) jobs you get a week of time the first year, 2 weeks the next, and three weeks each year after...

so expect her back next season (even though she may play tonight).



_________________
I've got a crush on Rebby!

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54726
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Attacked by birds at shootaround



_________________
No one knows what goes on behind closed doors
mb1



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 4651
Location: Scottsdale,AZ,USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Attacked by birds at shootaround


Twisted Evil Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy



_________________
I've got a crush on Rebby!

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
caune



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17918
Location: Valley of the Bun


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Michael Jordan put on a performance of a lifetime while fighting the flu and having to be helped to the bench at times.

That being said, the only legitimate excuse now is the walking Ebola.


Jordans performance was during the play offs, no comparison to Dees situation at all!



_________________
Because there is only one Diana Taurasi.
@Phoenix Mercury
lynxmania



Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 7895
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lobo thinks it funny that we have this game going.


Michelle89



Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 14410
Location: Holland


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Lobo thinks it funny that we have this game going.


Yeah she gave a shoutout to rebkell saying that wnba fans were voting wich excuse DT was going to use next Laughing



_________________
"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
lynxmania



Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 7895
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Lobo thinks it funny that we have this game going.


Yeah she gave a shoutout to rebkell saying that wnba fans were voting wich excuse DT was going to use next Laughing


Gave me a little chuckle. They had been addressing some real topics that we had. (Angel's absense and Diana's excuses) Laughing


luvDhoops



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 8229



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
Michael Jordan put on a performance of a lifetime while fighting the flu and having to be helped to the bench at times.

That being said, the only legitimate excuse now is the walking Ebola.


Jordans performance was during the play offs, no comparison to Dees situation at all!


Laughing Laughing The part about walking Ebola should have been the first sign I wasn't being all too serious (unless you don't know what Ebola is).

Boy, that comment someone made about you guys lacking a since of humor was spot on.



_________________
"He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon. " — Daenarys Targaryen, "Game of Thrones"
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7325



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
Lobo thinks it funny that we have this game going.


Yeah she gave a shoutout to rebkell saying that wnba fans were voting wich excuse DT was going to use next Laughing


Gave me a little chuckle. They had been addressing some real topics that we had. (Angel's absense and Diana's excuses) Laughing


She didn't mention rebkell by name, just said "fans." But we shouldn't let her down. I love the birds excuse.

I wonder if Dianaa is a Dodgers fan. She might be distracted with their monster trade.


noplot



Joined: 30 May 2011
Posts: 370
Location: Portland, OR


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"DNP--distracted by Dodgers trade" isn't bad. But here's a few I've been hoping to see in a boxscore and this may be my only chance:

"DNP--narcolepsy"

"DNP--brain freeze from Slurpee"

"DNP--heartbreak of psoriasis"

Gotta admit, "sprained bun" is my favorite of all of them so far, though...


Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7325



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

noplot wrote:
"DNP--distracted by Dodgers trade" isn't bad. But here's a few I've been hoping to see in a boxscore and this may be my only chance:

"DNP--narcolepsy"

"DNP--brain freeze from Slurpee"

"DNP--heartbreak of psoriasis"

Gotta admit, "sprained bun" is my favorite of all of them so far, though...



Hey, you stole my slurpee one Exclamation Imitation is the finest form of flattery. Laughing

DNP - she's ready for some football


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15102
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/25/12 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And the Sparks commentators joined in the party tonight too. Not quite as explicitly as Lobo did, but they still brought up the array of excuses.



_________________
We do not provide emotional or parking validation.
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7325



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/12 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just in case they need them in the future, I've collected some of the suggestions from other threads.

Nerd2 wrote:
Diana, on the other hand, will probably proceed to sprain her bun and be out for 2-3 games.

Richyyy wrote:
Or in other words, "The Mercury announced today that Diana Taurasi will miss 6-8 weeks with jet lag."

BCBG25 wrote:
- appendectomy
- corrective eye surgery
- ingrown toenail
- kidney stones
- stomach virus
- food poisoning

Nerd2 wrote:
Stomach virus is already taken. You can always do those items that sound serious but come and go, like:
- migraine
- double vision
- earache
- slurpee brain freeze

pilight wrote:
Frostbite
Immediate postprandial, upper-abdominal distention
Chronic adhesive otitis with eustachian tube dysfunction
Schistosomiasis
Metatarsal paronychia

p_d_swanson wrote:
Vertigo
Frozen pipes
Scabies
Ophidiophobia
Chronic halitosis
Cowboy boots

toad455 wrote:
If the Mercury announce she has any of the following, it's time for the league to step in:
- Whooping Cough
- Uveomeningoencephalitic Syndrome
- Malaria
- Typhoid Fever
- Chronic prostatitis
- Hydrocele

And my personal favorite:
stever wrote:
Phoenix medical staff are monitoring DT's condition closely:


StevenHW



Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 9962
Location: Sacramento, California


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/12 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Attacked by birds at shootaround


Twisted Evil Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy


First, it was the Phoenix Mayor getting his nose broken by Nakia Sanford during a practice. And now, this!

It's just not safe to be near the Mercury players, especially if you're not a WNBA player yourself. Wink


caune



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17918
Location: Valley of the Bun


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/12 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
Michael Jordan put on a performance of a lifetime while fighting the flu and having to be helped to the bench at times.

That being said, the only legitimate excuse now is the walking Ebola.


Jordans performance was during the play offs, no comparison to Dees situation at all!


Laughing Laughing The part about walking Ebola should have been the first sign I wasn't being all too serious (unless you don't know what Ebola is).

Boy, that comment someone made about you guys lacking a since of humor was spot on.


So you made your first joke ever and no one got it... it's clearly the fault of the audience Rolling Eyes



_________________
Because there is only one Diana Taurasi.
@Phoenix Mercury
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7325



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/12 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
Michael Jordan put on a performance of a lifetime while fighting the flu and having to be helped to the bench at times.

That being said, the only legitimate excuse now is the walking Ebola.


Jordans performance was during the play offs, no comparison to Dees situation at all!


Laughing Laughing The part about walking Ebola should have been the first sign I wasn't being all too serious (unless you don't know what Ebola is).

Boy, that comment someone made about you guys lacking a since of humor was spot on.


So you made your first joke ever and no one got it... it's clearly the fault of the audience Rolling Eyes


Exhibit A.


MuneravenMN
Champion Tipster


Joined: 01 Jun 2008
Posts: 3854



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/12 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. Tooth Fairy did not want to pay up
2. Hard foul by Taurasi on cheap damn Tooth Fairy
3. Vengeful fairy casts spell making DT's entire mouth numb
4. Taurasi can't play basketball if she can't talk. Misses rest of season.



_________________
Winning takes talent; to repeat takes character.
--John Wooden
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7325



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/12 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MuneravenMN wrote:
1. Tooth Fairy did not want to pay up
2. Hard foul by Taurasi on cheap damn Tooth Fairy
3. Vengeful fairy casts spell making DT's entire mouth numb
4. Taurasi can't play basketball if she can't talk. Misses rest of season.


Laughing


jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19131



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/26/12 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My own Top Ten List

Diana Taurasi excuses.

10. Freezer needed defrosting.
9. Oven needed cleaning.
8. 'Bun' needed degreasing.
7. Pondering the meaning of life in desert with her vast Carlos Castenada collection.
6. Got a hold of some bad acid.
5. Got a hold of some bad Menudo
4. All tore up over this Lance Armstrong business
3. 35th anniversary of Elvis's death.
2. Crashed her SUV at the end of her driveway. Significant other beat her with a nine iron.

And the number one Diana Taurasi excuse IS...

1. 'Scuses? We don' need no stinkin' 'scuses!


luvDhoops



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 8229



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/12 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nerd2 wrote:
caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
Michael Jordan put on a performance of a lifetime while fighting the flu and having to be helped to the bench at times.

That being said, the only legitimate excuse now is the walking Ebola.


Jordans performance was during the play offs, no comparison to Dees situation at all!


Laughing Laughing The part about walking Ebola should have been the first sign I wasn't being all too serious (unless you don't know what Ebola is).

Boy, that comment someone made about you guys lacking a since of humor was spot on.


So you made your first joke ever and no one got it... it's clearly the fault of the audience Rolling Eyes


Exhibit A.


Laughing Laughing Laughing

Exhibit A through Z actually.



_________________
"He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon. " — Daenarys Targaryen, "Game of Thrones"
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 17746



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/12 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

luvDhoops wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
Michael Jordan put on a performance of a lifetime while fighting the flu and having to be helped to the bench at times.

That being said, the only legitimate excuse now is the walking Ebola.


Jordans performance was during the play offs, no comparison to Dees situation at all!


Laughing Laughing The part about walking Ebola should have been the first sign I wasn't being all too serious (unless you don't know what Ebola is).

Boy, that comment someone made about you guys lacking a since of humor was spot on.


So you made your first joke ever and no one got it... it's clearly the fault of the audience Rolling Eyes


Exhibit A.


Laughing Laughing Laughing

Exhibit A through Z actually.


To be fair, I think most Mercury fans might be getting defensive because of the insane level of criticism here.

Towards Taurasi (WTF, she doesn't dictate what the organization tries to do) And towards the Mercury (for doing the logical thing in their situation...Yes, the logical thing. What every NBA fan would want their team to do in that situation.)

Sometimes it's hard to know when people are joking about it.

I'd rather joke about it. I don't think it's that serious. In fact, as I said, I think it's the logical way to go in the situation the Mercury are in. And I think the bluntness in the way the Mercury organization has gone about doing it, has been hilarious.

--Although I will say, which people are forgetting, Corey Gaines has alway been precautionary with his players when they are injured. I remember him upsetting Cappie because he wouldn't let her play when she was hurt. So, that's not necessarily an indiciation of tanking. And the Mercury have had an abundance of injuries this season. --



_________________
TALENT

What it takes to play a gay pirate, a gay candymaker, and a gay mad hatter, and still land a role as John Dilinger.
mb1



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 4651
Location: Scottsdale,AZ,USA


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/12 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
To be fair, I think most Mercury fans might be getting defensive because of the insane level of criticism here.

Towards Taurasi (WTF, she doesn't dictate what the organization tries to do) And towards the Mercury (for doing the logical thing in their situation...Yes, the logical thing. What every NBA fan would want their team to do in that situation.)

Sometimes it's hard to know when people are joking about it.

I'd rather joke about it. I don't think it's that serious. In fact, as I said, I think it's the logical way to go in the situation the Mercury are in. And I think the bluntness in the way the Mercury organization has gone about doing it, has been hilarious.

--Although I will say, which people are forgetting, Corey Gaines has alway been precautionary with his players when they are injured. I remember him upsetting Cappie because he wouldn't let her play when she was hurt. So, that's not necessarily an indiciation of tanking. And the Mercury have had an abundance of injuries this season. --


x_________x *emphasis added



_________________
I've got a crush on Rebby!

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
luvDhoops



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 8229



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/12 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
Nerd2 wrote:
caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
caune wrote:
luvDhoops wrote:
Michael Jordan put on a performance of a lifetime while fighting the flu and having to be helped to the bench at times.

That being said, the only legitimate excuse now is the walking Ebola.


Jordans performance was during the play offs, no comparison to Dees situation at all!


Laughing Laughing The part about walking Ebola should have been the first sign I wasn't being all too serious (unless you don't know what Ebola is).

Boy, that comment someone made about you guys lacking a since of humor was spot on.


So you made your first joke ever and no one got it... it's clearly the fault of the audience Rolling Eyes


Exhibit A.


Laughing Laughing Laughing

Exhibit A through Z actually.


To be fair, I think most Mercury fans might be getting defensive because of the insane level of criticism here.

Towards Taurasi (WTF, she doesn't dictate what the organization tries to do) And towards the Mercury (for doing the logical thing in their situation...Yes, the logical thing. What every NBA fan would want their team to do in that situation.)

Sometimes it's hard to know when people are joking about it.

I'd rather joke about it. I don't think it's that serious. In fact, as I said, I think it's the logical way to go in the situation the Mercury are in. And I think the bluntness in the way the Mercury organization has gone about doing it, has been hilarious.

--Although I will say, which people are forgetting, Corey Gaines has alway been precautionary with his players when they are injured. I remember him upsetting Cappie because he wouldn't let her play when she was hurt. So, that's not necessarily an indiciation of tanking. And the Mercury have had an abundance of injuries this season. --


Again, I said walking freaking Ebola. This thread is two pages long of people coming up with excuses. That's the name of the thread. I didn't come up with that shit, yet caune whines about a Jordan and Ebola comment. If you're that sensitive, how about stay out of the thread that reads "The Diana Taurasi "Excuse of the Game" Game" thread. Seriously, that would probably save one frustration.



_________________
"He was no dragon. Fire cannot kill a dragon. " — Daenarys Targaryen, "Game of Thrones"
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7325



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/12 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The fact that the Merc defenders could not let a single statement go unchallenged even in a thread clearly meant for fun says a lot.

I can't believe no one's pulled out the old stalwart:

- kidnapped by space aliens.

There's also:

- busy on a raid with Seal Team 6
- swimming between Cuba and Florida
- training for the 2014 Winter Olympics (too impatient to wait for Rio)
- landing on the Moon


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 54726
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/12 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really, I can't imagine anyone taking my excuses seriously

Frostbite....in Phoenix...in August

Immediate postprandial, upper-abdominal distention is a Star Trek reference.
Kirk: "What did you say she had?"
McCoy: "Cramps."

Chronic adhesive otitis with eustachian tube dysfunction is a M*A*S*H reference. The only noticeable symptom is that your ears hurt when you fly.

Schistosomiasis is a common ailment, acquired by wading waste deep in the Nile River.

Metatarsal paronychia is an ingrown toenail



_________________
No one knows what goes on behind closed doors
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 44145



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/12 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Frostbite....in Phoenix...in August


Athletes often take icebaths, so this is actually a good one. *Amber Cox reaches for her notepad*



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nerd2



Joined: 06 Jun 2010
Posts: 7325



Back to top
PostPosted: 08/27/12 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Really, I can't imagine anyone taking my excuses seriously

Frostbite....in Phoenix...in August

Immediate postprandial, upper-abdominal distention is a Star Trek reference.
Kirk: "What did you say she had?"
McCoy: "Cramps."

Chronic adhesive otitis with eustachian tube dysfunction is a M*A*S*H reference. The only noticeable symptom is that your ears hurt when you fly.

Schistosomiasis is a common ailment, acquired by wading waste deep in the Nile River.

Metatarsal paronychia is an ingrown toenail


Yeah, I loved the first three. I had to look up the last two but an ingrown toenail could actually be a bit of an issue especially if it leads to an inflamed big toe.

Since Dee likes to iron, how about "scalded herself while ironing." John Smoltz once did this because (I am not making this up) he ironed a shirt he was wearing.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin