RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 08/20/12 12:16 pm    ::: WNBA.com Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to do a story on the .com, so what I'd like to have is a list of its most egregious errors/insufficiencies (I have the Taurasi promo on Sunday already in mind).

So if I could get a breakdown of its issues, hopefully I can get a quote from Laurel Richie on why these things are allowed to happen.

PostPosted: 08/20/12 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if the w is so indebted to their lesbian fanbase, why do they continue to ignore them? what about a story when one of them gets marries (elmo, and the upcoming augustus nuptials), or has a baby (steph white)?

PostPosted: 08/20/12 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you look in the "History" section you can see past standings and playoff results...except for those from 2011. There are also a number of errors in the data, perhaps most egregiously this 2003 playoff first round result:

Quote:
FIRST ROUND

Connecticut Sun 2, Charlotte Sting 0
Aug. 28: Connecticut 68, New York 66
Aug. 30: Connecticut 68, Indiana 62

http://www.wnba.com/history/2003_playoff_results.html

PostPosted: 08/20/12 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

why do they continue to accept seeming false attendance numbers from the mystics?

what are they doing to make the refereeing better?

who made up the schedule that had the sparks and storm playing so many head-to-head games in the first couple weeks of the season?

PostPosted: 08/20/12 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
if the w is so indebted to their lesbian fanbase, why do they continue to ignore them? what about a story when one of them gets marries (elmo, and the upcoming augustus nuptials), or has a baby (steph white)?

Loree Moore has been out of the league for three years. Cheryl Ford and Deanna Nolan played in the W more recently. It would be very unusual to feature a wedding story about such a player.

PostPosted: 08/20/12 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:
why do they continue to accept seeming false attendance numbers from the mystics?

who made up the schedule that had the sparks and storm playing so many head-to-head games in the first couple weeks of the season?

Actually, I'm just asking about wnba.com, not the WNBA as a league.

Transaction mistakes, inaccurate reporting, etc. ...

PostPosted: 08/20/12 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

Not a mistake, exactly, but it often takes a loooong time for transactions to make it to the transactions page.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/20/12 12:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's just the basic lack of any content there worth reading that generally annoys me. The NBA equivalent site has worked hard to improve that in recent times, while WNBA.com seems to have gone backwards.

And on the rare occasions that I bother to read their occasional content, you often don't get the feeling that the writer even follows or watches the league particularly closely. Which would seem a prerequisite. There were countless errors in their preseason previews before this season started, for example, often on really basic stuff.

PostPosted: 08/20/12 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

Loree Moore has been out of the league for three years. Cheryl Ford and Deanna Nolan played in the W more recently. It would be very unusual to feature a wedding story about such a player.

ggrrr. my response went into cyberspace with the critical error. i'll try to recreate it:

loree was on the storm a few years ago, not sure of the timeline with her participation and her marriage date. but i'll concede that, it was just an example anyway. but what about two folks who are currently in the league: seimone and steph white?

PostPosted: 08/20/12 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any specific errors that anyone can recall? Or any articles I should look up that were somewhat obviously uninformed?

As for the lesbian weddings/births, two questions:

1) Are the straight weddings/births reported? (I don't know ... not a loaded question.)

2) Does NBA.com report weddings and births for its players?

PostPosted: 08/20/12 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

Not a mistake, exactly, but it often takes a loooong time for transactions to make it to the transactions page.

Dawn Evans played for the Sparks on Saturday, but there is no mention of her signing on the league transaction page.

PostPosted: 08/20/12 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about when the News tab wasn't updated for weeks this year before the season began? Also, not directly on the .com, but any chance of bringing back Pick One? Any data on how many daily web hits that game got the website?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 08/20/12 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But why Clay?

You already write for the self-proclaimed

"THE LEADING journalistic website providing up to the minute coverage of WNBA, NCAA and Prep women's basketball."

Who needs wnba.com with those credentials? Laughing

seeword

PostPosted: 08/20/12 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd like to be able to search the site, especially for historical stuff. For example: enter a player (active or not active) name and find all references to that player on the site, including news stories, transactions, honors, etc.

There is a lot of buried information on the site, but it's time consuming and frustrating to look for it.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/20/12 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's also just random weirdness like this thing that happened last season:

http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=65808

PostPosted: 08/20/12 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Any specific errors that anyone can recall? Or any articles I should look up that were somewhat obviously uninformed?

For example, the first one of the preseason previews I found - http://www.wnba.com/features/preview2012_dream.html - said that "...and deceptive driver Izzy Castro Marques all return for the deep Atlanta squad." No she didn't, and there was never any real sign that she would (so it's not like they were hurt by a late change which caused the error or anything). Stuff like that.

PostPosted: 08/20/12 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In regards to the dot com, why doesn't the league hire experts from Rebkell to administer (or at least consult for) the website.

The folks there (Rebkell) have more timely and accurate information and would likely do a much better job of presenting the information.

Also they (Rebkellian experts) would likely provide services for a reduced fee or even on a volunteer basis.

-----------------

Why is the page so cluttered?

Why is it so difficult to search for information/articles?

How married are we to Elias Sports Bureau?

LONG LIVE THE WNBA!
pilight

PostPosted: 08/20/12 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was also not having a draft page up until less than a week before draft day. NBA.com had one up months earlier, so it is not an issue of breaking NCAA rules or other such nonsense.

PostPosted: 08/20/12 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why did they eliminate the pick one? Seems like that was a great and fairly easy way to both drive clicks to the site, and get fans involved in watching the League in a different way.

As far as weddings, I remember that there was a ton about Lindsay Whalen's wedding, and also something about Kara Lawson's wedding on the .com back in the day. But nary a peep about Seimone Augustus.

I'm not so sure about births. I can't remember how they covered LLL or Parker. Or previously Swoopes or TT.

PostPosted: 08/20/12 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

As for the lesbian weddings/births, two questions:

1) Are the straight weddings/births reported? (I don't know ... not a loaded question.)

2) Does NBA.com report weddings and births for its players?

1) i don't see why it should matter. individual teams' websites do stories on their players lives...gay or straight. the fact is its a human interest story about players, richie has said on numerous times that 'these women have a story to tell'; well, don't their marriages and births count as stories? but, yes, both lll and cp3 have had stories about the birth of their children posted as stories on the dotcom.

http://www.wnba.com/news/parker_090513.html
http://www.wnba.com/features/leslie_070908.html

2) i don't follow nba.com, so i wouldn't know.

PostPosted: 08/20/12 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
As far as weddings, I remember that there was a ton about Lindsay Whalen's wedding, and also something about Kara Lawson's wedding on the .com back in the day. But nary a peep about Seimone Augustus.

Those were produced by the team sites, and nothing appeared until the actual wedding took place.

PostPosted: 08/20/12 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:
Why did they eliminate the pick one? Seems like that was a great and fairly easy way to both drive clicks to the site, and get fans involved in watching the League in a different way.

I'm not so sure about births. I can't remember how they covered LLL or Parker. Or previously Swoopes or TT.

The WNBA website doesn't seem to cover same-sex weddings. Didn't hear anything about Loree Moore's wedding either. RebKellians had to go another website (can't remember which publication) for Loree's marriage news.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/20/12 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would rather they not cover any weddings. Make it about basketball.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/20/12 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mb1 wrote:
In regards to the dot com, why doesn't the league hire experts from Rebkell to administer (or at least consult for) the website.

The folks there (Rebkell) have more timely and accurate information and would likely do a much better job of presenting the information.

Also they (Rebkellian experts) would likely provide services for a reduced fee or even on a volunteer basis.

Rebkellians aren't perfect either, although most of us have realized taurasi hasn't been playing since the olympics.

Maybe wnba.com is really up on the tanking scandal more than we think, and that taurasi photo was their way of encouraging the mercury to play taurasi. Wink

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 08/20/12 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

norwester wrote:

Not sure if it makes a difference to you, but seimone's wedding is more ceremonial than legal.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: